• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 44
Posts: 44   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6448 times and has 43 replies Next Thread
Captanharris

Scamming

Ok so I thought this had to be bought up. Over the past month I have had 3 new names come up to me pretending to be someone I haven’t seen in a while. For example we had someone saying they were wooden and asking for there poe out of the Shope, they must not have known he was banned. They told me “I got hacked”. I have also herd other simular stories of this happening and unfortunately people have been falling for it.

Let’s try and get the message out there to everyone to trust nobody it’s sad but it’s the way it is. Get them to come on vent or msn if you have them to prove it really is them. I keep hearing of people losing possessions to these scammers and thought it had to be bought up on here to get the message out.

Sorry for poor wording etc, fresh from night shift
[May 19, 2011 11:20:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezder

Re: Scamming

Good post.

This is something that happens a lot, for some reason, and we must all be careful who we trust.

Asking personal questions tend to be a good idea, and I'll share a couple of rather amusing examples from Nightmare.

First, a scammer who claimed to be Childprodigy while he was still SO of Nightmare. Child played only during summers, so he was long dormant at the time. We know him rather well, including real life names of his schoolmates and such, so this one was pretty easy to call out. Child also had a black/gold grand frigate named Vegas.

So when this alt came and asked if we remembered Childprodigy, and that he needed some PoE to start anew. We asked what colours his ship Vegas had, he said he didn't remember. Then he came back and asked another SO "Where is my sloop Vargas?". We had a good laugh, then started asking personal questions about his rl friends. Then he didn't have time to answer, because he had to do his laundry. Very amusing. He never came back after that.

Another alt came and told us that Asdzxcvz was badly hurt and in a hospital, and for some reason, needed PoE. Asd himself confirmed on MSN that that was not the case.

And my last example: A rather new officer in my crew, who I only knew was a teenager and still in school, got hacked. His sister, who I didn't know well at all, sent me a tell and informed me about the hack.

So I said hi to the officer, asked him how things were at work. He said it was same old. Then I asked "How's your sister?" "She's fine." "Did she have her baby yet? Should be around now, right?" He didn't reply. After a while, I repeated the question, he still didn't reply. I demoted him to pirate, he cursed at me in tells, called me sick and left the crew. So.. I guess he was hacked.

I hope this can serve as some inspiration for others, who get these scammers. Ask questions that either only the real person would know the answer to, or that are totally absurd and would make him go "What? Are you drunk?". Then you will know, and not get scammed.
----------------------------------------
Avienda
Nightmare/Legacy

Naggy avatar

Qvintvs flag royalty chats, "I won't play for that much longer and when I quit, my pirate's dead body will be sent out at sea on a burning ship and let's face it, you will be on that ship as well.
[May 20, 2011 2:57:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Wannita

I had this happen to me a couple of days ago for the first time ever.

A guy said he was an old hearty who hadn't played since Jan and who's stall I manage and asked me about having the poe etc from the stall. Lucky for me nothing in the stall actually belonged to him and he acted surprised when I said that.

He even told me part of the reason he wasn't playing was because his mother had died, I mean how low can you go!

There were a couple of things that alerted me that he wasn't who he claimed to be, first off he called me 'hun' which definitely was so unlike my hearty and a couple of phrases he used were not in line with how my old hearty spoke.

He totally tripped himself up when he told me he had wanted to buy doubloons and couldn't afford to as he was paying off his house loan, then I was absolutely certain he wasn't who he claimed to be.

It's sad to think that people will go to such lengths to deceive others in a game.
Wannita,
Captain of the crew Ocean Warriors, on the Viridian Ocean
[May 20, 2011 3:23:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Txen

Hi

Happen to me as well, yesterday in fact.
Someone claimed to be a heartie who I hadnt seen in a while.
The way he said "Hi" was completly off which already called for scammer, but I wasnt 100% sure (people can be drunk right?) and didnt report him right away.
After another minute of talking I was sure he wasnt an imposter and reported this to the OM's, however to late, the guy had already deleted the account. This is what i got back from OM:

Make sure your friends complain immediately when another user claims to be somebody else. If they really are that person, we can ignore the complaint later, but if they're impersonating them we really need the /complain right away to have proof of the crime to act upon.
[May 20, 2011 5:13:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
black_beard7

Happened me recently as well, lost a few swords out of it. Had tells from people claiming to be old dormant people in my crew asking for poe.
Triggster.
On all oceans, but mainly Viridian.
Captain of Trigonometry. Lord and former royal of RiddleMakers.
[May 20, 2011 5:23:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cnuofesd

hi evry1 im kory and i wnt 2 very much do atlantises like that rocktrap i did with the rocks and there was monsturs and evry1 made monyy. do u hav a frig i can use??//
Capablanca on Emerald
My posts are not my own opinion.
[May 20, 2011 8:44:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ariel_mac

A few months ago someone went to hearty of ours pretending to be Redbrdterry... while I was online. It was interesting to see this kid try to answer questions about this wife....
~ Arielmac (all oceans except Atlantic)

[May 20, 2011 11:03:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LunEnvoy

Being a a natural dick really helps when dealing with scammers

Dude: Hey!!
Me: hi
Dude: How r u?
Me: fine
Dude: long time no see!
Me: oh?
Dude: Yeah man, its dumvuk, my account got hacked
Me: That sucks
Dude: Yeah, I hate starting over
Me: Then don't
Dude: lol
*silence*
Dude: So what u doin?
Me: poker
Dude: Man I wish I had a parlor badge.
Me: Me too
Dude: Yeah so can you help me restart please? I hate to ask **completely oblivious to the fact Im playing poker on a non-free day while 'not having a badge'**
Me: who were you again?
Dude: Dumvuk
Me: oh yeah
Dude: Yeah
*Silence*
THE END
LoLune

I'm still just the guard dog. I bite. They shoot.
[May 20, 2011 12:02:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

Never give PoE or items to such people. Either they are a scammer, or they have still not proved that it is really them. Having had it happen to me, the OMs will get you your account back if you can prove it's you, but until that point, your account is banned.

On a different note, it's a good idea to have some PoE and ships stashed on a secondary account, so if it happens to you you can still play while you're waiting for the issue to be resolved (not to mention having somewhere to send a petition from!).
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[May 20, 2011 5:33:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LunEnvoy

Im not trying to be mean, but I really am curious. How do people fall for this stuff? Im almost afraid to ask what sort of stuff they fall for irl.
LoLune

I'm still just the guard dog. I bite. They shoot.
[May 20, 2011 5:38:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
false_dmitri

Usually the scammer puts a lot of urgency into the trade. They need money right away, they're locked out of the game until you share your account, that kind of thing. Just like writing to random e-mail accounts saying you're stuck in another country in desperate need of cash. All they have to do is trigger the target's worry for a friend before other thinking catches up.

I coaxed an e-mail address out of a password scammer once. You can usually string them along as easily as they think they'll do it to you.

Another time, I came close to giving out too much info. A hearty told me an OM was organizing people on MSN or similar for a familiar contest. I trusted her for info like that, and there wasn't any of the usual "gimme money" element to set off warning signs. But there was an approaching deadline--of course there were only a couple spots left, with no time to ask petty questions. I gave the "OM" on MSN a few bits of info before they revealed themselves by asking for password. Was still able to stall them for a while after that, but didn't learn more. Eventually, hearty got her account back.

Complain hacked players immediately. If the account is locked down, the hacker can't do as much damage to the player's possessions and reputation.
On hiatus. :(
[Edit 1 times, last edit by false_dmitri at May 20, 2011 7:02:58 PM]
[May 20, 2011 7:00:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JTH023

Scamming can be ridiculous. I was banned from the game in 2008 because of a scammer. What happened was a crew member of mine said that he was having trouble purchasing doubloons, (reached the max) so I gave him the account information to one of my alt accounts. I realized that it might be a scam, which is why I gave him an alt account to use with different info, but I wanted to help a crew member out. What he did was get on the account and promptly change the password. Being suspicious though I realized what he was doing and used the password recovery system to change it back. What I didn't know though was that, during the time he had access to my account, he had sent an email to Three Rings that read, "im going to hack thee whole of puzzlepirates because im a clever hacker so been warned unbann it or i hack the website and puzzlepirates its self". Some might laugh at that but I absolutely loved this game and was a doubloon purchaser myself and am no longer allowed to play because of it. Unfortunately I was unable to get unbanned from the game because the story is rather hard to explain/believe but I still keep up with the game/forums. Sorry for the long post just wanted to share my story.
Holland on the viridian ocean
[May 21, 2011 8:32:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nortoneer

Wow...that sucks...I'd like die if I couldn't play PP.
Nortoneer
Prince Of Epic Quest
Capn' of Artificial Intelligence
SO of King Of Booches
[May 21, 2011 11:22:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jotac16

Happened me recently as well, lost a few swords out of it. Had tells from people claiming to be old dormant people in my crew asking for poe.

You're playing again Trigg?

Unlucky mate.
Fifaa

inb4 forumb&
[May 21, 2011 1:41:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
black_beard7

You're playing again Trigg?

Unlucky mate.

Yes and indeed, Im usually cautious but oh well.
Triggster.
On all oceans, but mainly Viridian.
Captain of Trigonometry. Lord and former royal of RiddleMakers.
[May 21, 2011 2:23:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JTH023

Wow...that sucks...I'd like die if I couldn't play PP.

What makes it really suck is that if ooo understood the situation I am 99% sure I wouldn't be banned. Don't get me wrong I'm not placing any blame on them, I support them 100% it is just hard to explain.
Holland on the viridian ocean
[May 21, 2011 5:21:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MadMe

This is a reoccurring problem. A few months ago I was approached by someone who tried the old "I was hacked/can you help?" After a few simple questions, it was clear to me that it was a scammer and I reported as such. Sadly the same scammer convinced another hearty o' mine and was swindled out of 2+ million.

One thing I found that leads scammers is looking at people's hearties list. Most times it's a long lost hearty that the scammer uses to lure its next patsy (a simple /who of hearties that haven't logged on for awhile). Just food for thought for people who find themselves being targeted a lot.
Madme (on all oceans)
Captain of the Black Rum on the Meridian
A loyal Riddlemaker© on the Meridian
...and going MAD one gene at a time

Awesome Avatar by Catlin
[May 21, 2011 10:48:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ameranth

It was interesting to see this kid try to answer questions about this wife....

This wife? As opposed to that wife? Just how many does he have???

I had no idea Ariel and Terry were from Utah...
Ameranth of Viridian Meridian
Senior Officer of Nightmare, Prince of Legacy
[May 22, 2011 7:51:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ariel_mac

It was interesting to see this kid try to answer questions about this wife....

This wife? As opposed to that wife? Just how many does he have???

I had no idea Ariel and Terry were from Utah...

Not Utah but Ariel is French Canadian :P
~ Arielmac (all oceans except Atlantic)

[May 22, 2011 9:29:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
micerule

Renoweed tells ye, "Laneeey"
Renoweed tells ye, "Its chimp"
Ye told Renoweed, "tell me something only he would know"

It would appear this person was trying to be dachimpy

Tried to send them another tell that they should really try to stop scamming.
Could not tell Renoweed: {1} "Could not tell Renoweed: That user is not online."
Then did a /w as i just got out of poker.
Failed to obtain player info: No such pirate.
Several people have posed as me try to get poe this week as well >.<

This is becoming a real problem.
Ivytheblade tells ye, "Huzah! Huzah! Laneth, brother of the forged late notes, and 5th knight of the triangle table :x"
[May 24, 2011 3:46:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DementedDuck

Somebody pretending to be Tanabear came asking me how much poe/stock there was in our tailor, and when I told them it was fully stocked with about 100k they asked for 100k. Funny. We don't stock the tailor and there's never been more than 20k in there..

It's turning into an epidemic. D:
Evilduck/Superduck.
Emerald, Cerulean, and that other one.
Now in Obsidian flavour.

I record puzzles.
[May 24, 2011 4:03:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kiadude

Aye someone posed as me the other day.. Eediots. I wonder if it's alot of different people doing it, or just a few who are trying to work their way around everyone :P
Retired. :(

But still ready to spring into action and blockade yo booty. :)
[May 24, 2011 4:05:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jolyma

I would hope no one would pose as me, but I haven't been around much. So if anyone does, I wouldn't ask anyone for poe, or ships, or anything else, so please report the person for me. I'm not hacked, or banned, or suspended.
Jolyma

[May 24, 2011 7:25:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
the_rock99

I would hope no one would pose as me, but I haven't been around much. So if anyone does, I wouldn't ask anyone for poe, or ships, or anything else, so please report the person for me. I'm not hacked, or banned, or suspended.

I regret nothing! NOTHINGGGGGGGGGG
Greatness.
Better than you.
[May 25, 2011 11:19:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Amburwashere

I've also had two different pirates last week approach me pretending to be a dormant crew member of mine claiming to have been hacked. Both times I just asked something only that crew mate would have known, and both times they answered incorrectly and logged immediately. People like this are completely pathetic.
Ambur
Hunter and Viridian Ocean
Banned on 9-29-11
[May 25, 2011 12:47:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    amburPP@yahoo.com [Link]  Go to top 
boroboy1

Talking of scamming..

OOO Scam :O

In before the $200 dollars to recolour a familiar.
Seepnah
[May 25, 2011 1:30:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
false_dmitri

Rogue Marks will be tradable.

If anyone ever tries to impersonate me, I hope my long history of turning down even small loan requests will leave them unable to scam anyone. :)
On hiatus. :(
[May 25, 2011 5:02:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jolyma

I look good with a beard.
Jolyma

[May 25, 2011 7:56:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
draton

Talking of scamming..

OOO Scam :O

In before the $200 dollars to recolour a familiar.

Please tell me that is a troll and not something that is actually being implemented.
Glacial - Meridian
Hielo - Emerald
Starscream - Obsidian

Nemesis says, "I think I found the problem."
Nemesis says, "You're a Decepticon."
Starscream says, "I've changed :("
Nemesis says, "They all say that.
[May 26, 2011 4:35:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lynax

Never give debt to someone if s(he) isn't in your class. :)

In my opinion, the best way to avoid scam: MIND. If you're mindless, you'll lose a lots till you get lots of scam experience. :)
IGN: Cookiez
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Lynax at Jun 1, 2011 9:23:19 PM]
[Jun 1, 2011 9:20:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 44   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates