• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 9
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1438 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
CillisC123

A Piratey Writing Contest Reply to this Post

This July (I know, this is a bit early to be planning) I'm thinking about holding a pirate soliloquy contest. A Pirate would have to rewrite Hamlet's Soliloquy in piratey terms, such as "to arr or not to arr, that is the question", according to guidelines that aren't too broad. This will be my first event. Do you think it would be too hard of an event for a first time? Should I root through old threads to find a successful event to rerun? Would someone like to co-run this event with me?

Thanks for the advice!
----------------------------------------
Topsail
Viridian

Shazingle!

Avvie By Me!!!

If you miss Floody, say Arr!
[May 17, 2011 4:35:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Widsithgrey

Re: A Piratey Writing Contest Reply to this Post

Would you be limiting people to only Hamlet's soliloquy or would you have several to choose from? Why a soliloquy specifically?
McShabby of Meridian
[May 17, 2011 5:20:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CillisC123

Yes, I would be limiting people to hamlet's soliloquy because it would be straight forward and easy to judge, but still allows for a variety in entries. The soliloquy itself is famous, though mostly its first few lines, because of the mental battle that hamlet is letting the audience in on.

We need to convert into being a famous piratey mental battle between arr-ing and not arr-ing, or whatever the contestants choose to do.

A note, though, is that a later event could be people choosing on of several other soliloquies as a basis for their writing.

There's the specific soliloquy and the soliloquy specifically. :)

Hope that answers your question. :)
Topsail
Viridian

Shazingle!

Avvie By Me!!!

[May 17, 2011 9:00:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marundel

I've run several writing events (if you add the two I've done in YPP and the number of them I've done in some organizations I've belonged to over the years.) My recommendations:

1. Have multiple judges, preferably with some training/education in literature. If you get more than 3 or 4 entries, you won't be able to tell the difference between them by the time you're done reading.

2. Leave yourself enough time between the submission deadline and the winning announcement to discuss the entries between the judges - 10 days to two weeks is typical, depending on the number of entries of course.

3. Be very specific in your instructions. If you have any vagueries, you risk someone misinterpreting (rather than asking for clarification) and turning in something that doesn't meet the requirements.

4. In keeping with number 3, stick to your guidelines when judging. In any type of writing contest, you may experience a desire to "give the benefit of the doubt"... maybe someone writes a good story, but not according to the rules and you feel bad that they won't be recognized if you don't bend the rules for them. Doing so isn't fair to the other entrants, and they will let you know about it.

5. Try to avoid giving excessive examples, as you may inadvertantly take away someone's idea for an entry.

6. Once you're done with the judging and you have the entries all marked up, take a day off - then go back and re-read all the entries. Read them in reverse order so you're of a "fresh mind" for the stories that you read while burned out the first time through.

7. Don't go overboard on the prizes. For your first event, and for what is arguably a fairly simple format for entries, a 1st/2nd/3rd and a couple of honorable mentions (again - depending on the number of entries) is probably sufficient.

8. Get the OM support early - 2 weeks is minimum, but they appreciate a much longer lead time and can assist with advice before you commit to the entry thread. Ask for an ad in the Events section of the notice board, and discuss prizes that may require OM assistance (special trinkets, limited edition items or colors, etc.) If it's a multi-ocean contest, make sure you check with them on distributing prizes for you (in my most recent event, I gave Apollo the deed to one of my ships on my main ocean and he awarded the prize ship on the winner's ocean for me.)

9. Throw tournaments on various oceans to advertise your event. Do different games on different days at different times in order to get maximum coverage (I always use the 60 minute start time for maximum effort), and you'll increase your entrants by a handful of people.
Pizzahutpete on the Cerulean Ocean
Prince, Super Awesomeness
SO, Boochin' Drunks

Pizzahutpete everywhere, thanks to the merge
[May 19, 2011 9:51:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thehomebrewstore.com    meadbrewer [Link]  Go to top 
CillisC123

Thanks a ton for the advice.

A couple of questions:

Should I (1.) Get OM support and (2.) run this event on multiple oceans considering this is my first event ever?

Thanks a bunch for your help. :)
Topsail
Viridian

Shazingle!

Avvie By Me!!!

[May 20, 2011 4:19:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

A couple of questions:
Should I (1.) Get OM support and

In my opinion, just asking for their assistance in delivering your prizes, is the greatest form of support they offer, and yes, well worth asking for. (Since this is your first event you've run, it might be the only form of support they grant, and it never hurts to ask.)

(2.) run this event on multiple oceans considering this is my first event ever?

:D Why not?

If you need: The link to "how to get OM support" I copy and paste it into an email and more or less, fill in the blanks.

I'm willing to help if you need - feel free to drop me a PM.
DEXLA LOUISA MIDNIGHT on Cerulean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Dexla at May 20, 2011 5:02:49 PM]
[May 20, 2011 5:01:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Snowpixie

Personally, I would try running a couple of smaller events for practice first before taking on something bigger, but then, I'm rather cautious.

Although the thread is a few years old, the advice here is also very helpful :)

And yes, sniped by Dexla... OM-supported-magical-cross-ocean-prize-delivery is just the best thing ever.
Imp, totally sane mermaid-siren of Meridian.
Superdoodle avatar by Budclare =D
[May 20, 2011 5:10:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
laladibla

I second everything everyone has already said. Perhaps when writing the event thread give the people entering an example so that they know what they're expected to live up to?
Visionary/Visionarye - Coming soon to an ocean near you!

Mitchiie wrote:

"Yes. Snowwman is weird and Boyk is weird. They're definitely siblings. I just have to figure out who the sister is."

[May 21, 2011 8:34:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

I second everything everyone has already said. Perhaps when writing the event thread give the people entering an example so that they know what they're expected to live up to?

I often find that to be a double-edge sword. Sometimes examples hinder the creativity of the entrants because they try too hard to be like the example. I don't like to give examples, because then I feel like I'm dishing out a classroom assignment, as opposed to encouraging a person to get creative. (And sometimes - the results are beyond what expect! Which is awesome!)
But then you do have to be prepared to answer questions without holding their hand and doing the entry for them.

Which gives me an idea of running a "no questions answered" event...." hmmmm
DEXLA LOUISA MIDNIGHT on Cerulean
[May 21, 2011 8:59:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates