• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 57
Posts: 57   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 12389 times and has 56 replies Next Thread
JSChromeboy

Musical Pirates...Time to Make Music...Videos...(WINNERS ANNOUNCED!) Reply to this Post

Premise:

One of my favorite past times is music, I love music so much. I don't think there anyone alive who can say they don't like some kind of music. I will listen to almost anything that catches my attention. I also like good music videos, when something captures your attention, tugs of your heart strings, leaves you with a wow...brings tears to your eyes or makes you laugh, that's a great music video. But one thing I don't see enough of is piratey music videos so I think it's time that we rose up and created something that no one else has bothered to take the time to create...Piratey Music Videos!

Your Task:

Using one of the files provided below, create a music video in whatever form you want, upload it you Youtube and share it. It may be live action, puppets, animation or other. It must have a piratey theme to it as all of the songs have piratey themes to them. Use of props, scenery, camera tricks and other effects is sure to score you points with the judges. To prove that video is yours, at some point in the video you must show your pirate name and ocean written on a piece of paper or other material and held by your hand or someones hand, if it is done in animation or other medium, animate or fit that theme into the video. A pretty big task but with some great prizes to be won.

Entry Period and Deadline:

This event starts now and is open for entries till 11:59 Game Time on June 24th 2011.

Essentials & Rules (very important, please read before posting):

1: You may use any medium you wish to use to convey your video, whether you make a live action film, puppets, animation, use game art or clay stop motion, your creativity is your limit, up to you as long any themes in the game would be suitable for younger pirates.
2: Plagiarism will not be tolerated in the least and you will be disqualified if any is attempted. This means you may not attempt to recreate a famous music video...keep it original.
3: The video must be yours and to prove this please make sure a piece of paper or other material with your pirate name and ocean are seen held by your hand or someones hand at some point in the video.
4: Only one entry per pirate.
5: You may have as many characters in your video as you wish and you may recruit help from friends to make your video if you want.
6: Again, you are allowed any form of humor or artistic expression as long as it would fit into the game and be accepted by the Ocean Masters. If I need to spell that out further please feel free to ask questions if you are unsure.
7: In your post please include your pirate name, ocean and prize preference.
8: You are allowed to make your video longer than any of the songs provided. Just be sure to keep the extra length that you put into your video under three minutes from the original song. This will allow you plenty of time for any scenarios you would like to paint before the music starts.

Posting an Entry:

Please Post your entries in the Entry Thread .

Upload your video to Youtube and post the link to the video here.

If you wish, include a short informative paragraph or two about what we should expect to see in your video. This will in no way affect judging, its just so you can explain things like props, themes, setting, characters...all are welcome...just keep it readable and short enough that it doesn't become a five page essay.

Please also include:

Pirate Name and Ocean:
Name of Your Video:
Song You Chose:
Order of Preference for the Artifact Furniture:

Musical Options:

Choose one of the five songs listen below, they are listed from shortest to longest. Listen to all the songs through the various versions provided from Youtube and, make your choice. Then go to one of the (download) links and download the provided music and then choose one to make a music video out of, however you go about it is up to you. Please do forgive me for some of the abstract places I had to come up with some of these videos. These links should lead you directly to a screen where you should be able to download the file in the normal fashion. If anyone needs help with this...I would be happy to walk them through it in game, best of luck to you all.

A Pirates Life For Me (youtube sample) A Pirates Life For Me (1:05) (download)

Pirates The Don't Do Anything (youtube sample) Pirate That Don't Do Anything (2:33) (download)

Drunken Sailor (youtube sample) Drunken Sailor (3:02) (download)

The Pirate Song (youtube sample) The Pirate Song (4:01) (download)

Beast of Pirates Bay (youtube sample) Beast of Pirates Bay (5:02) (download)

A Few Useful Links:

Below are a few useful links that will help you to get started with your video editing. The first is a long list of several video editing and rendering programs, take your pick, there are many there. There are online tutorials and howtos on each and every one of these programs easily accessible online via Google or whichever search engine you prefer. Use the musical options above to overdub your video with.

Video Editing Software
Youtube
Entry Thread

Judging:

Judging will be carried out by myself and a panel of judges. A simple points based judging system will be used and ties will be resolved by internal voting.

Prizes:

As you would expect there are some great prizes to be won for such a large event but along with them comes a slightly unorthodox system of prize distribution. The top four entries will receive a number of prizes including a Standard Renamed Ship and Artifact Furniture with the rename symbolizing the style of their video. Then depending on the total amount of entries, a number of runner-ups will be chosen to take home prizes as well. Honorable mentions will also be given out if the number of entries is sizable enough. Please be sure to post your preference of artifact furniture with your entry...the full 14 piece set is up for grabs!

1st: Tan Octopus and a Standard Renamed Sloop
2nd: Two or More Artifact Furniture and a Standard Renamed Sloop
3rd: Two or More Artifact Furniture and a Standard Renamed Sloop
4th: One or More Artifact Furniture and a Standard Renamed Sloop

Runners up will receive one or two piece(s) of artifact furniture.

Honorable Mentions will receive Inscribed Ribbon Trinkets.

If there are any questions, please feel free to ask them below and I will get back to you as soon as possible, happy video making.
----------------------------------------
Asheme - Malachite/Viridian Oceans - (2009 - 2011)
Mastorakis - Meridian Ocean - (2013 - present) that is all.....
[Edit 4 times, last edit by JSChromeboy at Jul 3, 2011 10:42:21 PM]
[May 13, 2011 12:43:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JSChromeboy

Re: Musical Pirates...Time to Make Music...Videos...(Win a Familiar and Other Cool Prizes!) Reply to this Post

This post is reserved for questions:

If you have any trouble with any of the links provided, please post or send me a PM and I will be willing to help work something out with you.
[May 14, 2011 12:37:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

Re: Musical Pirates...Time to Make Music...Videos...(Win a Familiar and Other Cool Prizes!) Reply to this Post

Great event! I had no idea that there are so many piratey themed songs out there, love them all.

I have never done anything with video before, but I think I'll give it a go.
One question though. Can I use any resource for my video? Like, pp scenes, pieces of other youtube video's, random internet pictures all mixed and blended into something new. Or is this considered plagiarism?
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[May 14, 2011 1:19:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JSChromeboy

One question though. Can I use any resource for my video? Like, pp scenes, pieces of other youtube video's, random internet pictures all mixed and blended into something new. Or is this considered plagiarism?

Hmmmm, dicey.

I would say this...go ahead and use stuff from youtube unless it's from other official music videos, the only reason being that even though they may be on youtube...they belong to a different artist. If you want to use videos like "Charlie Bit Me" I see no problem there, but using other artists videos...that would be considered plagiarism.

Images from google...not a problem there at all. But do remember that you must have a hand holding a piece of paper or something with your pirate name and ocean on it somewhere at some point in the video. So as long as you follow those guidelines I don't think there will be problems.

Hope that helps.
[May 14, 2011 4:14:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cnuofesd

If your into piratey music, I don't really enjoy metal that much, but this is too cool.

Anyway, when making a video will the length be taken into consideration? Having made media to fit to a specific time length, occasionally I find I'm scraping the barrel to fill time. I think the Volitaire song is my favourite to listen too, but finding six minutes, especially with it's strophic structure is going to be tough.

p.s. Make a composing event PLEASE. ):, or something like "How close to the Y!PP can you perform a song?" - Actually, I'm doing this one... D:
Capablanca on Emerald
My posts are not my own opinion.
[May 15, 2011 2:35:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JSChromeboy

lol...I love that band...I was thinking of posting one of their songs...but I decided that I should stick with more publicly accepted styles of music even though their stuff is kick-booty.

I'm a huge Nightwish and European metal fan...so I like this stuff.

As for other events...we'll see.
[May 15, 2011 3:21:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JSChromeboy

Hey everyone.

Just so everyone knows as I have been PMed several times already in game and on the forums.

It is permissible to make the videos longer than the songs. Just keep it logical, this means that as long as it's not more than 2-3 minutes longer than the original song, then it will be accepted. In other words...no 10-15 minute dramatic musical scenes, but a bit of extra time in the video is no problem.

I didn't address this in the OP, my fault, but I wanted to post it here so everyone can see it. I will edit it into the OP for others to see.
[May 15, 2011 4:07:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Estalight

What about film clips? Would that be accepted, or is that plagiarism?

I make Animated Music Videos on youtube anyway, and I haven't made any of the clips/music used, however there is an option you can select saying that you are not claiming that the items used are your own. So surely it could be ok right? Or would those rules change if it's in a contest?
~will make an avatar for you on request~
[May 18, 2011 5:26:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.facebook.com/mitsumarshmallow [Link]  Go to top 
JSChromeboy

As to this...I'm going to say basically the same as I did for music videos. As an artist musical or as an actor/actress you wouldn't want people using your work for their uses.

So lets try and keep it original. But, I'm not as stringent on films as I am music videos.

So if you would like to use film clips to complete your video...I see no massive problems with it...but do please try to add in some original material.

That's my official response...Hope that helps.
[May 18, 2011 10:12:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

Re: Musical Pirates...Time to Make Music...Videos...(Win a Familiar and Other Cool Prizes!) (Deadline-June 24th! Get to Filming!) Reply to this Post

Just in case anyone else is mad enough to try and create a video frame by frame ... this might be a usefull tool Avidemux
It's free and available on all major platforms and very easy to use.
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[May 19, 2011 2:34:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JSChromeboy

Re: Musical Pirates...Time to Make Music...Videos...(Win a Familiar and Other Cool Prizes!) (Deadline-June 24th! Get to Filming!) Reply to this Post

Thanks for that, I guess that one wasn't included with the programs I provided.
[May 19, 2011 2:57:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ambaliya

so being a film making student isn't so bad after all:P
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Ambaliya at May 20, 2011 3:52:58 AM]
[May 20, 2011 3:51:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JSChromeboy

I am very interested to see what you come up with...get your class mates in on it too!
[May 20, 2011 5:14:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ambaliya

ok will surely try some interesting stuff,
but given the difference in time length of the songs, should there be any preference because 5 min video sounds pretty long work from 1 min. any difference in judging upon that? and i guess if one chooses the 5 min song then the video should last the same lenght or more, cannot make a video for half the length and leave the rest. right?

ambaliya.
always confused:P
[May 20, 2011 1:03:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JSChromeboy

ok will surely try some interesting stuff,
but given the difference in time length of the songs, should there be any preference because 5 min video sounds pretty long work from 1 min. any difference in judging upon that? and i guess if one chooses the 5 min song then the video should last the same lenght or more, cannot make a video for half the length and leave the rest. right?

ambaliya.
always confused:P

There will be no extra attention paid to an entry depending on the song that was used. The judging will be based solely on how well the video was constructed to fit the song.

As for second question, the video should definitely span the entire length of the song and you are aloud to, but are not required to, go 2-3 minutes beyond that if you need some time for music video plot setup...if you know what I mean.

The different lengths of song were provided so that all players would have a good range of song lengths to choose from so as to not require them to make too long or too short of a video from what they wanted...

Hope that helps.
[May 20, 2011 2:18:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lekuman5

Whats artifact furni mate? nice event!I am in..!
[May 29, 2011 6:29:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JSChromeboy

http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/List_of_artifact_furniture

Artifact Furniture is very rare furniture that is only handed out to players by the OMs through tourneys and other various events. It can only be obtained through those ways making it very valuable.

Hope that helps mate, best of luck.
[May 29, 2011 6:34:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JSChromeboy

Artifact Furniture

Artifact Furniture is very rare furniture that is only handed out to players by the OMs through tourneys and other various events. It can only be obtained through those ways making it very valuable.

Hope that helps mate, best of luck.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by JSChromeboy at May 29, 2011 6:35:21 AM]
[May 29, 2011 6:34:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lekuman5

can i cut the song if its way too big?
[May 30, 2011 2:55:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JSChromeboy

can i cut the song if its way too big?

I'm afraid I'll have to deny you that. I placed 5 songs in there all of varying lengths so that you could choose the song that best fits the length of video you can provide.

If the song you chose is too long for you to create a video for, you should choose one of the shorter songs.

Cheers.
[May 30, 2011 11:59:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CillisC123

Does it have to be a video or can it be a sort of a slideshow?
Topsail
Viridian

Shazingle!

Avvie By Me!!!

If you miss Floody, say Arr!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by CillisC123 at May 30, 2011 12:50:14 PM]
[May 30, 2011 12:49:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JSChromeboy

Does it have to be a video or can it be a sort of a slideshow?

Any medium is acceptable as long as what you do and what you portray are complicit to what would be allowed in the game.

Hope that helps.
[May 30, 2011 9:49:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CillisC123

Topsail
Viridian

Shazingle!

Avvie By Me!!!

If you miss Floody, say Arr!
[May 31, 2011 6:09:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lekuman5

how many videos can i post? :Pcan i post 2-3?ty
[Jun 2, 2011 8:52:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JSChromeboy

how many videos can i post? :Pcan i post 2-3?ty

Rule Number 4:

4: Only one entry per pirate.

That should do it.
[Jun 2, 2011 9:13:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lekuman5

kk ^^
[Jun 2, 2011 12:08:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Darkbeast282

can we make the video useing screen shots form puzzle pirates or if animated r we limited to images form google etc
Darkbeast on Hunter
[Jun 3, 2011 3:20:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JSChromeboy

Basically mate, nothing is restricted except using another artists music video, there have been questions like your earlier in the thread, google images are fine, game art is fine. Any medium is fine as long as you do not plagiarize any other artists work and that would mostly consist of other musicians videos.

Your question is good, but no it's fine to use both and even intermingle them if you want.
[Jun 3, 2011 5:21:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
silenthero

Hey, when i posted my video to YouTube, it was blocked by the music company...what should i do?
[Jun 10, 2011 12:32:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JSChromeboy

I am working on a solution at this time mate. This is very frustrating as I checked to make sure each song was on youtube as to avoid these issues...

I'll get with via a PM soon with a solution.
[Jun 10, 2011 3:45:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 57   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates