• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 8
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1406 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
Widsithgrey

sportsmanship rant

I tried searching the forum for a suitable game-related rant thread to tack this on to but they were all fairly old or focused on RL stuff rather than gameplay. I hope it's okay to post a new thread for this but I apologize if it's not.

<rant>
I've lately come across a few people who will ask (or outright demand) that I dismiss/forfeit games in tournaments. Is it just me or is this really rude? To me, it seems really arrogant, self-important, and cocky to assume that you're so good that I shouldn't even get a fair chance to play against you. It also completely ignores the fact that I'm not just playing the tournament to win, I'm playing it because - god forbid - I like playing that puzzle and take most opportunities I can to play it.

I was in awe of the sheer rudeness tonight when someone asked me to dismiss and, when I refused, tried to give me a "reality check" about their standing in the puzzle. Seriously? Well it may surprise you O'-Holy-Legendary/Ultimate/Whatever that
1) I, too, once upon a time had gotten legendary,
2) I may not be playing just to raise my standing but because I like playing, and
3) if I were interested in raising my standing, playing against better players can be one way to learn better strategies.

I feel like if it's such a bother to you to play against others in tournaments because it takes too much of your precious time, then don't. enter. tournaments. Then you won't have to play against us lowly pirates that like to play for the sake of playing.
</rant>

It'd be nice to know if anybody else encounters this. Does anybody else think it's rude or poor sportsmanship? Does anybody else like to play some puzzles just because they like the puzzle, or is everyone else crazed and hungry for ultimate puzzle standings, loads of poe, and great crew/flag/whatever reputation?
----------------------------------------
McShabby of Meridian
[Apr 25, 2011 12:21:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LunEnvoy

Re: sportsmanship rant

Basicly dude, just demand that they stfu. Then have your friends tell them to stfu. And bingo, problem solved. The 'bully' 'poor sport' 'arrogant jerk' whatever you want to call it is essentially no longer a problem.
___
(at this point, 'you' is the reader, not the OP. If thats confusing, dont bother reading this post. In fact, mute me because Im probably too dumb for you anyways)

Now if you're smart, youll read this post just like any other post Ive ever made, and realize that in the first paragraph I am stating two ideas and presenting them as one, with no clear distinction.
Furthermore, if you are really smart, you'll realize that the 'hidden idea' is called a 'successful mentality' and how well you identify with it gives a pretty clear indication not only of your current status here, but also how you got to that point.
And if you're a genius, you'll do something about it.
LoLune

I'm still just the guard dog. I bite. They shoot.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by LunEnvoy at Apr 25, 2011 12:40:51 AM]
[Apr 25, 2011 12:34:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hens_ow

you ought to be able to get disciplinary action on anyone who suggest you forfeit I mean for one it looks like you think you have little chance of wining to the ranking algorithms.
anyhow surly if they have that much better of a rank then they can win with ease and may as well so it would seem to me that they probable have the high rank because they tried this on 20 fools and dam well know they have inflated rank.
I will not take any responsibility for my spellings under the influence of in game alcohol
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hensow on the English production oceans
[Apr 25, 2011 4:15:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hurtboss4

People like to tell me to dismiss the rumble puzzle occasionally too, in exchange for 10k. Does that count?
And, scene.
*lights out*
[Apr 25, 2011 12:13:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ameranth

People like to tell me to dismiss the rumble puzzle occasionally too, in exchange for 10k. Does that count?

That's a suspendable offense, and at the very least will get their stats reset.

Besides, everyone knows a forfeit is worth at least 20k. Damn cheapskates. :D
Ameranth of Viridian Meridian
Senior Officer of Nightmare, Prince of Legacy
[Apr 25, 2011 5:24:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bobdonnell

An old pirate by the name of draggoon did just this, Paid his way to #1 SF, paid like 20k for an ult to lose to him and 10k for a leg or so from memory. Nothing was ever done to him though so I doubt anyone else would be punished.
Avatar by the Beautiful Velternal <3

Vsmeifudare says, "hi"
Nightwishtwo says, "drop dead"
[Apr 25, 2011 5:37:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ichlet8

An old pirate by the name of draggoon did just this, Paid his way to #1 SF, paid like 20k for an ult to lose to him and 10k for a leg or so from memory. Nothing was ever done to him though so I doubt anyone else would be punished.

Draggoon was classy. Xingu/Krueger/Allias/etc. never bothered to pay anyone for this service. :/
~Ichigokuro, Viridian

It's disgusting how little that you try;
the existential equivalent of pink eye.
[Apr 25, 2011 6:52:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Widsithgrey

None of them have bothered to offer me money, they just assume I'm so bad/they're so good that I should be willing to admit I'm going to lose regardless. The people I've encountered would probably laugh with arrogance if I suggested I should get something in return for it, haha. (Not that I'd ask for it or take it if they tried that, either.)
McShabby of Meridian
[Apr 26, 2011 3:43:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates