• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 50
Posts: 50   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3729 times and has 49 replies Next Thread
arya_stark

Chat filters Reply to this Post

I searched for a previous thread on chat filters, and the best one was locked because of some derailing.

Please, for the love of all that is good and true in the world, can we have a chat filter to change instances of "u" (when precluded and followed by a space) to the word "you"? We've already got "ur" -> "yer," so it seems that this should follow.
----------------------------------------
[size=10]Underfoot, Carpenter of Llyr's Pact
[Mar 30, 2005 10:26:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.winterfell.com    kumachiisai [Link]  Go to top 
dvarin

Re: Chat filters Reply to this Post

It should change to "ye", no?
[size=10]Saben
Some Random Pirate (over a Gaussian distribution)
[Mar 30, 2005 12:40:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shanoyu

I go to You of Georgia.
His Holiness, The Dope
[Mar 30, 2005 12:46:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kbuds

Meh, if you knew the filter was there you would simply say "U. of Georgia"
---[color=maroon]Subliminal -[color=maroon] Viridian---
?Think. Feel. Subliminal.?
[size=9]Demeter tells you, "You are still here? Wow, least I get paid for having no life!" ;(
[Mar 30, 2005 1:05:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.pwned.nl    kingbarz@yahoo.com    kingbarz80 [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

What happens if I really want to talk about the capital of ancient Sumeria (Ur)?
[Mar 30, 2005 1:58:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
Gothmog1065

Faulkston wrote: 
What happens if I really want to talk about the capital of ancient Sumeria (Ur)?

Take it to yahoo!
Nemesis wrote: 
You ruined my joke, Goth.
Arakael wrote: 
Goth is right, as usual.
Blobbles wrote: 
Goth is right. *shudders*

[Mar 30, 2005 2:00:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kbuds

Ye'd be planked, of course.
[size=9]Demeter tells you, "You are still here? Wow, least I get paid for having no life!" ;(
[Mar 30, 2005 2:00:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.pwned.nl    kingbarz@yahoo.com    kingbarz80 [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

The chat filter isn't case sensitive, so Ur turns into yer. I suppose we'd have to type u.r. or something similar.
[Mar 30, 2005 2:25:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
binka

arya_stark wrote: 
I searched . . . can we have a chat filter to change instances of "u" to the word "you"?

By failing the search, ye missed the comments that some of us use the u to filter the pirates.
For me it is an indicator of the pirate's age. It also indicates a certain amount of selfishness and laziness. It is not universal, of course, as there are exceptions, but the association is statistically significant enough to be useful.
If it does get filtered, please let it be possible to turn it off.
- Jaybell/Medea/Median
[Edit 2 times, last edit by binka at Mar 30, 2005 11:21:27 PM]
[Mar 30, 2005 11:21:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shanoyu

I find the vast majority of filters that do not filter offensive terms pretty annoying. Whether or not someone can express themselves in standard english is the #1 thing I consider when putting someone up for officership because the ability to communicate with others is pretty paramount. Let the community self-regulate, and by community i'm not speaking merely of puzzle pirates but of that whole big english speaking panarama. Sometimes I try to talk to my father on aim and while he's a perfectly intelligent fellow he still tends to talk a little bit like this online:

hi jAcob how r u? Got $ 4 sem????????

And i'll be like,

Yes father, my finances are in perfect order.

And he'll be like

oK.

And you know, I mean, it's getting better, but i'd rather he eventually learned how to type proper english than be filtered by some sort of chat filter on AIM or something.
His Holiness, The Dope
[Mar 31, 2005 12:41:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kbuds

On aim, tho, its a one on one conversation. On PP its a social world, where there are thousands of people that dont want to hear that garbage.
[Mar 31, 2005 12:49:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.pwned.nl    kingbarz@yahoo.com    kingbarz80 [Link]  Go to top 
Shanoyu

kbuds wrote: 
On aim, though, it's a one on one conversation. On PP its a social world, where there are thousands of people that don't want to hear that garbage.

Fixed,

There are thousands of people who like the freedom to type and read as they wish for every thousands who want to avoid that stuff, and most of the latter avoid any sort of online forum or immersive world on the internet entirely to avoid "If u like good charloette plz tyep 66k6?"

If you don't like it well, dude, there are sufficent protections for you to avoid it already. The chat circle concept, crew and flag channels, and now the inability to shout on colonized islands.
His Holiness, The Dope
[Mar 31, 2005 1:01:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
elikabeth

Is there any way a filter could be added limiting excess punctuation? For example

Greenie says, "garam hi !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

could be filtered to "garam hi !!!". Maybe limit chat to 3 or 4 adjacent question or exclamation marks. I don't know why you would ever need more than that.
Elikabeth
[Apr 29, 2005 5:58:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://jesters.odli.net/    elikabeth [Link]  Go to top 
Heygabe

I get very confused when greenies tell me that I am happy. "Yer Happy!" They say to me all the time. I say, "Yeah, I'm happy. Are you Happy?" And they're all like, "Don't call me Happy, (explicative)!" And then I complain 'em.

I don't like complainin' folks for telling me I'm happy. It seems like a complement, really.

:)

This reminds me of an incident I shall now share from my chat log:
XXX says, "happy"
Heygabe says, "Happy?"
XXX says, "i sad ga y"
Heygabe says, "You said Happy."
XXXX says, "im happy becousei get 1,ooo evry hour"
Heygabe says, "You're happy? How brave of you to admit it."

Also, does is this bannable?

[21:44:41] Heygabe thinks happy thoughts.

--Watching the Mad Professor from a distance
If we are steadfast in our resolve to have fun, then fun we will have.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Heygabe at Apr 29, 2005 6:16:15 AM]
[Apr 29, 2005 6:16:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

That reminds me, I have a couple of words that need filtering, after overuse on Virid.

If anyone wants the definitive list of chat filters, send me a PM. Be prepared for some strong language, though.

What Pip tried to do was something totally unprecedent. He, in some strange way, used Midnight as a test server, without him even knowing. [Crap, it sucks I was not online when he did that :'(... pfft, anyways]

Like a bad penny.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Piplicus_BNO at Apr 29, 2005 6:16:32 AM]
[Apr 29, 2005 6:16:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
shagie

elikabeth wrote: 
Is there any way a filter could be added limiting excess punctuation? For example

Greenie says, "garam hi !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

could be filtered to "garam hi !!!". Maybe limit chat to 3 or 4 adjacent question or exclamation marks. I don't know why you would ever need more than that.

As a perlesque filter this would be...

s/(.+?)\1{2,}/\1/;

I do realize this looks like vaugely pronounceable line noise, but if the first group can be modified reasonably it will reduce the multiple repeats on one line.

The translation is: find a run of characters that is repeated 3 or more times in sequence and replace it with that run of characters.

In the above example, passing it through this filter would make the string into "gram hi !"

This would make poking fun at papaya or cnossos a bit hard (running 'papayayayayaya' through this gives 'papaya'), but would make otherwise annoying 20x repeating 'wtf' in one message impossible.
[Apr 29, 2005 6:16:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kipdg

elikabeth wrote: 
... filter added limiting excess punctuation????????????????????????????????

I heartily endorse this idea.
-Kipdg
Captain of the Mad Mutineers
Yep, sailing...It's a living..
[Apr 29, 2005 6:17:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kbuds

No way. Sometimes people arent teaming, and since the ringers wont let us have a command to tell them to team to a certain bot, I often will holler

/shout TEAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GET UNSHAVEN FANNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do this quite often, teehee. The caps are usually lower cased, making it less noticeable when people are swordfighting.. so Ill throw in the exclamation points because then it lets them stay capitilized. That is my legitimate use of excessive punctuation.
[Apr 29, 2005 6:20:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.pwned.nl    kingbarz@yahoo.com    kingbarz80 [Link]  Go to top 
elikabeth

kbuds wrote: 
No way. Sometimes people arent teaming, and since the ringers wont let us have a command to tell them to team to a certain bot, I often will holler

/shout TEAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GET UNSHAVEN FANNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do this quite often, teehee. The caps are usually lower cased, making it less noticeable when people are swordfighting.. so Ill throw in the exclamation points because then it lets them stay capitilized. That is my legitimate use of excessive punctuation.

Wouldn't just 3 or 4 exclamation points be sufficient? If they couldn't see it then, they probably wouldn't see it anyway. The capitalization is another issue. I've often been frustrated that I can't yell YARRR! in all caps, but I think that is a separate problem from the punctuation one.
Elikabeth
[Apr 29, 2005 8:28:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://jesters.odli.net/    elikabeth [Link]  Go to top 
ryboy5

Aye, methinks give us the caps, and limit that punctuation to 3 or so consecutive marks.
==Gameboy, nerd of the Seas==
Those are some nice pants.

Poseidon says, "then tell me THAT ONE!! PWEESE"
[Apr 29, 2005 5:37:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.double-u-double-u-double-u-dot-dot-com.com [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

I love all filters, except for these two:

- gay --> happy. this gets very frustrating in occasional conversations, particularly with people who arent aware that you mean gay. i couldnt care less if someone calls me gay, to me its not an insult, its just like calling me a boy when I'm a girl. i mean, filtering it is getting a bit too PC, isnt it?

- omg --> the world's longest filter. please, PLEASE, change this to something that isn't sixty five thousand letters long. Please.
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Apr 29, 2005 6:45:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stefsorceror

yes, can gay please be changed into something else? it just sounds weird when somebody says This booty is happy or something as the meaning totally changes.
Tibiaking. Member of TTB, SN. Too cool to have a quote in my signature.

Disclaimer: None of my posts are ment to be offensive. Any tarting about the offensiveness of my posts will be ingored.
[Apr 29, 2005 7:20:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ssandv

As long as there are NPP's named "Gay" something, it's inappropriate to filter "gay". Change the freaking bots names first. I'm tired of it piratifying people so they're talking about "Happy" Nico on Heps Forge. How absurd.
Darksand (back again!)
Obsidian: Peace and Quiet-Chaos
Midnight (rarely): Forbidden Dreams-Dies Irae
Leif wrote: 
I understand you'll ignore this as it doesn't support your paranoia.

[Apr 29, 2005 11:40:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Heygabe

For the record, I like the Gay-->Happy filter.
But what would you guys suggest?

Perhaps the string "ur gay" could be filtered instead of the individual term "gay." That way, you could still say "I feel pretty, witty and gay." but you couldn't say "I intend to insult you by making a comment about your sexual preference, and, also, I'm a jerk-face."

I wouldn't actualy mind if "ur gay" filtered to "I'm a jerk."

Of course, then you'd need to filter "that's gay" unless the speaker was clearly refering to pink and lime clothing combinations.
[Apr 30, 2005 1:39:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Karsh

The only bad thing about the gay>happy filter is that some NPP names have the prefix Gay, and whenever you mention them, for example,

Karsh says, "Get Happy Joseph!"

people occassionally get confused if they don't know the filtering.

Who cares, though, it's not as often to find a gay NPP as you see someone using gay as an insult.
Karsh -Hunter-
Captain of the crew The Salty Mouthfuls
King of the flag Pirates of the Blackmast
[Apr 30, 2005 1:59:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Karsh+on+Toast [Link]  Go to top 
ottoia

Heygabe wrote: 
That way, you could still say "I feel pretty, witty and gay."

Or "I'm gay", if you are and it comes up in conversation...
Ottoia (Midnight)
[Apr 30, 2005 2:06:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.cinder.nu    21080049 [Link]  Go to top 
Heygabe

ottoia wrote: 
Heygabe wrote: 
That way, you could still say "I feel pretty, witty and gay."

Or "I'm gay", if you are and it comes up in conversation...

And, you can also sing christmas carols. "Don we now our happy apparel. Fa-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la!"
[Apr 30, 2005 3:30:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
zoip

Karsh wrote: 

Who cares, though, it's not as often to find a gay NPP as you see someone using gay as an insult.

It's still extremely absurd to filter out programmer-designed game content. This is not Harry Potter. Even if it was, there should NOT be run of the mill NPCs with Names Ye Cannot Say.
drstupid wrote: 
If [your argument] is "good enough" for you, then having the reanimated corpse of Ludwig Wittgenstein throttle you in your sleep is too good for you.

[Apr 30, 2005 4:31:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Droamir

If ye go on a long pillage, ye come across Gay named npps on a normal basis. I think the filter should be just taken out, OR take out the bot names. But come on, it is a real word that is not a swear.
Boatswain of Templars.
[size=9]Spellcheck!Grammar! Punctuation!
[Apr 30, 2005 5:59:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

I liked peghead's idea of having a box come up saying "You'd sound a lot more intelligent if you just typed those two extra letters."

:D
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Apr 30, 2005 6:31:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 50   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates