• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 57
Posts: 57   Pages: 2   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6746 times and has 56 replies Next Thread
Luxory

Re: Island sitting, FTW or FTL?

It happens year after year, the two "titans" as you put it clash late on in the year.

Check the history -;

2005 saw IDLD/P4P/Fear and Loathing/Requim
2006 saw P4P/VG take on Antheas and BwoB
2007 saw Collateral Damage and RiddleMakers take on Regnum Irae and Fist Deep and saw Vanguard make a massive change
2008 saw the start of the Vanguard - RiddleMaker rivalry and saw Monsoon Poon take on Antheas
2009 made up for the lack of activity in 2008 in March, when Tainted Purity/Sea Wrath/RiddleMakers/Vanguard/Chocolate Coated/Viridian Avengers and Rebellious Uprising all took part in what I remember to be one of the best/hardest multidrop to date.
Then later on in the same year with Hadrian around the corner, again the Titans clashed; I would say more poe was spent that year than any other year. It caused several flags to self implode, as well.
2010 saw FaB and IC take on RM and BooB.

Most of these events take place in October/November, I strongly believe that this year will be similar. Year after year the same complaints are said, "blablabla we cant afford to blockade outposts" If you look at the outposts, every single one of them a new flag could blockade and have a massive chance to win.

My point in this post being -;

If all the rich island holding flags blockaded each other evenly to draw out the resource divide then it would work to everyones advantage, but noone really knows how much the other had to begin with so meh.

More often than not, this happens, but it happens late on in the year
----------------------------------------
Luxory on Obsidian.
Aristoza flag royalty chats, "Ro initiated all the greenies by getting them on one big ship and sinking them all at once"
Positive Penguins
[Apr 13, 2011 2:53:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CookieD18

It happens year after year, the two "titans" as you put it clash late on in the year.

Check the history -;

2007 saw Collateral Damage and RiddleMakers take on Regnum Irae and Fist Deep and saw Vanguard make a massive change
2008 saw the start of the Vanguard - RiddleMaker rivalry and saw Monsoon Poon take on Antheas
2009 made up for the lack of activity in 2008 in March, when Tainted Purity/Sea Wrath/RiddleMakers/Vanguard/Chocolate Coated/Viridian Avengers and Rebellious Uprising all took part in what I remember to be one of the best/hardest multidrop to date.
Then later on in the same year with Hadrian around the corner, again the Titans clashed; I would say more poe was spent that year than any other year. It caused several flags to self implode, as well.

Most of these events take place in October/November, I strongly believe that this year will be similar. Year after year the same complaints are said, "blablabla we cant afford to blockade outposts" If you look at the outposts, every single one of them a new flag could blockade and have a massive chance to win.

If all the rich island holding flags blockaded each other evenly to draw out the resource divide then it would work to everyones advantage, but noone really knows how much the other had to begin with so meh.

Lets send all the pirates home till October then...

...I think it is possible to win those blockades on outposts too, but what tends to happen is you raise pay just to keep up, and limits are rarely set. People chase the win like that 3rd 6 at poker...they do it because they have come this far and dont want to walk away with nothing, and at least give it a good go.

This ocean is preoccupied with jobbing numbers and less with tactics and skill, something RM has bashed its opponents over the head with multiple times. In closer kades where jobbing is even, the points tend to be even too showing how everyone does pretty much the same thing.

Avienda Wrote:
On the contrary, game enforced pay caps would make SMAs even more unbeatable. All you'd have to do to keep your lil island would be to gang up with more than half of the rest of the ocean and when you're attacked, you just match til you hit the cap, 2K or whatever that might be, outjob and there is nothing an attacker outside the SMA can do to win. They can just as well pull out or, if they know it from the start, not attack at all in the first place. Defense fix and even though you'll end up paying more than the attacker, most flags don't attack more than once and then most defenders could probably afford it. Bad idea.

Yeah, because the situation the way it is now is brilliant right? No I didnt think so. Pay limits on outposts at least mean no paywars for those islands, limiting paywars to more valuable islands with shoppes and taxes.

Yes to begin with it would take getting used to, but the 'market forces' of the ocean will work to balance things out. If one alliance doesnt have enough support, it politiks harder. If one side doesnt have brilliant navvers, it gets some or trains its current staff.

Right now pay DOES stop most small blockades from happening, and then its waiting for Luxory's Autumn window of alliance warfare.

Those flags that want to do something are put off by kades regularly going over 2k a seg. If there is an uncontested blockade, someone goes in to 3rd party. Alliances get involved in outpost blockades because nothing else is going on.

If pay was brought down maybe we could wein jobbers off their poe-addiction and get them to enjoy the game more.
CookieD - Co-Founder of The Rum Rats.
King of the now disbanded Rum Soaked Devils.

Captain of the Rum Rats
Royal of Antheas

Viridian for the win. Or not.
[Apr 13, 2011 7:18:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kenjennings

If one were so inclined, they could easily work around a hard-coded paycap. After all, people did used to /pay by hand.
[removed by SOPA]
[Apr 13, 2011 7:34:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
anchovygirl

As Ex-Cabz said, lowering the in-game pay cap will just force flags to get someone to /pay extra bonuses to jobbers which is basically defeating the purpose of having an automatic pay system.

The thing is, far too many flags are WINWINWIN orientated and will go to extreme lengths to make sure they win. You're also forgetting the fact that you're not going to win straight off the bat, it'll probably take a few blockades to figure who/what works best at what.

I think more flags needs to realise that it's okay to put the guns down during a blockade and come back again. I highly doubt flags want to spend more than 30 mil getting an island when they know it'll probably take them a year just to make up that loss, and that's just jobber pay, who knows how much they spent on stock and ships. Is it really worth spending 30 mil in jobber poe plus whatever else was needed so you can own an island for at least a week? Not really. If you don't want to pay more than 2k a seg for an outpost, then don't. Learn to swallow your pride not spend all your poe on a blockade where you end up regretting it. You're also going to learn more from losing a blockade than by winning since you'll definately know what doesn't work or what needs improving and be better prepared for the next blockade.

There's also the fact that some flags who want to blockade are biting off more than they can chew. For example say if Pillars of Confidence decided to blockade Sea Change, that's probably not a very smart move on PoC's part since they're not very experienced yet and who knows how much poe either flag has.
Anchovia
[Apr 13, 2011 10:47:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
boroboy1

In regards to 3rd partying cades. I have no issues on it but making an alt flag to do it? Less balls than sardinez...
Seepnah
[Apr 13, 2011 11:06:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
false_dmitri

Just repeating what I've said elsewhere, which is mostly guesswork rather than knowledge. So ignore if you prefer. :)

Main reason pay is an obstacle is defense, not offense. You can set up a reasonably cheap blockade with a willing opponent, but if you win, there's nothing to stop a rich opponent from spending you into the ground. For a lot of flags, that's a deal-breaker, because at the end of the day they want to hold their prize for at least a little while.

There aren't really a lot of flags with the *ability* to maintain a blockade team. Very few can bring together funds, ships, skill, activity level, political support, etc., all at the same time. Activity level especially. It's a game, so there's constant turnover in most crews & flags. Difficult to stay on top of that. It's not just a matter of making blockades more affordable.

No limits on islands. RM won the blockade game. Vanguard won it around the time of Hadrian's opening. P4P won it further back. When a flag has the rare organization needed to win consistently at multiple islands, and enough income to support winning frequently, they can take as many targets as they can afford. If RM takes 3 islands and 3 flags attack them at once, RM isn't splitting its resources 3 ways. The attackers are. All RM has to do is keep jobbing even and distribute the jobbers to match the attackers' strategy. 3 separate attackers will be more disorganized and unable to redistribute their jobbers to compensate. Every ship one of them sends out reduces how many ships their allies can fill. It's not like real life, where most armies can't rush back and forth between 2 simultaneous fronts, or where bringing in allied ships doesn't mean you're diluting your own supply of sailors. Basically, any flag capable of winning a straight fight at 2 islands at once is capable of winning 5, 6, 7--however many they want and can afford to keep stocked with ships. It ultimately comes down to a 2-way fight no matter how many factions are allied on each side. You have to be able to beat them head-on in such contests to prevent that kind of growth.

None of this is unfair within the game's rules. If RM wasn't on top, another flag would be. It's a consequence of how the game works.
On hiatus. :(
[Apr 13, 2011 12:57:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Monliz

Check the history -;

Lux, I remember rushing home from work on a Friday evening to drop and have IC take part in that multicade. And a great rush it was :)
Monlizzy
Captain and Counselor of Midnight Aurora & Queen of Imperial Coalition on the Meridian Ocean
Queen of Lion's Bane on the Obsidian Ocean
Princess of Tell No Tales on the Emerald Ocean
[Apr 13, 2011 9:17:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sardinez

In regards to 3rd partying cades. I have no issues on it but making an alt flag to do it? Less balls than sardinez...

Well, you have to ask Shadymermady. She 3rd partied at Olive using an alt flag.
Greatness said:"I said "we" because I was also part of that blockade team at the time. So yes, I kicked ass too. There's some reality for you."
[Apr 14, 2011 8:24:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
afura

I think that anyone who dropped on Havoc would get a fun blockade and then be hunted in war for 10 days and that WaR would welcome it, but that few flags would be willing to do that for Havoc.

I hear they are a dead flag, dropping on them will be a walk in the park.
Afura on Viridian Ocean

Admin of Puzzle Piracy - home of Pirate Auction House
[Apr 15, 2011 4:04:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepiracy.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Captanharris

A contributing factor may be that when a flag decided to blockade for the first time they chose an outpost held by a flag that was a realistic competitor. Then when it comes blockade time a much larger flag takes over for the defender, pays high for them and puts in experienced navers that do it every week together against the new flag who are using new guys trying to have fun. Fair enough if it’s against an already established flag but not one trying to do there first blockade. There is a difference between “helping” your allies and completely taking over and it happens constantly.

At the end of the day I think it ruins the fun for the new guys and it’s not worth it. Just saying
[Apr 17, 2011 2:53:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MimiLinda

Cute very cute but not true; you might want to double check the navers used at Polaris one of them was Syddie another Joncole and Fearbadge; can you name me 1 blockade you've seen them at before?

And pay only wen't up cause said "new" flag raised pay (not matched, raised) while out jobbing but wait let me guess you didn't see that part did you? oh you prob did cause that said flag was running it from your flag so I am sure you are well aware of what was going on and if you weren't around then you might want to get your facts straight before making stupid claims.
Roseh

[Apr 17, 2011 6:20:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Captanharris

i rocked up round 3 i am only going off what people from both sides have told me but i guess those 3 navers you just gave me are all from RM was there any POC navers used at all?
[Apr 18, 2011 1:39:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MimiLinda

On Polaris? nop I was going to 3p and moved my ships (used my ships my stock) but to not lose jobbers we did it from PoC so it was my decision as to whos navers we used and since PoC navs already had nav at GC I decided to give some from my flag a chance, but what that got to do? You are saying we used all super experienced navs which we didn't so your point is still invalid.
Roseh

[Apr 18, 2011 2:42:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Captanharris

Well it was "off topic" to the using experienced navers but still relates to the taking over part. I just reckon more flags should be given more of an opportunity even if they are on the opposite side of the fence. It’s not all about winning it is just a game after all.
[Apr 18, 2011 3:02:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MimiLinda

Well you see it was either me 3ping or flag sitter; I guess you are just angry cause your allies didn't get a free island, so if its not about winning shouldn't you be glad I moved 10 brigs and 5 frigs to let some in flags have fun? what difference makes them being RM or PoC in flags with lack of experience? none, so Im still confused how is your point any valid?

Edit: Fixed something weird with spacing.
Roseh

[Edit 1 times, last edit by MimiLinda at Apr 18, 2011 3:18:58 AM]
[Apr 18, 2011 3:09:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Captanharris

I am not angry at all, I am just discussing island sitting. They are not my allies I have never really had much to do with them. I am not trying to make a point its just my opinion.
[Apr 18, 2011 3:42:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
catscanner

It is still early on in the year, and people are still preparing, Not sure if this was mentioned earlier- as I don't read the forums, I just post (It stops me from trolling) But November is the month that Paywars, and blockades happen, and Chests are dropped.

This is because Flags want to take Islands, before the December Holiday restrictions are in place, so people can sit on the islands during December without a Blockade Threat, and potentially make up some PoE to defend.

Blockading is usually always dead this time of year.

~Corruptz.
[Apr 18, 2011 7:50:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezder

Hmm.. With a couple of blockades each weekend, I definitely wouldn't say it's dead.
Avienda
Nightmare/Legacy

Naggy avatar

Qvintvs flag royalty chats, "I won't play for that much longer and when I quit, my pirate's dead body will be sent out at sea on a burning ship and let's face it, you will be on that ship as well.
[Apr 18, 2011 11:05:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
catscanner

Hmm.. With a couple of blockades each weekend, I definitely wouldn't say it's dead.

In the context of dead, I am referring to the jobbers point of view. In terms, we do not get much higher then 2,000 PoE per segment, and certainly no paywars or Multidrops.
[Apr 19, 2011 3:18:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
M_Cobain

Yeah jobbers definately deserve more poe!!!11
Martobain

YPPedia improved with Tom Cruise the Elephant (who's my friend and buddy) catalogue!
[Apr 19, 2011 5:10:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezder

In the context of dead, I am referring to the jobbers point of view. In terms, we do not get much higher then 2,000 PoE per segment, and certainly no paywars or Multidrops.

2000 poe/segment = 10K in an hour for an average puzzler. On what other type of voyage do you get that as a jobber?

A 2K/seg blockade with 200 jobbers per side costs each flag 6 millions for 3 rounds. (Granted, pay is rarely even from start to end, but anyway.) That might not be much for the actively blockading flags BUT it is a whole lot for a few individuals to just give away over a few hours so that some navers can have fun, and jobbers have fun and get paid. And in that context, forget about the island because 1. islands don't make that much back (at least the islands mentioned in the OP - certain other islands make poe that definitely should go back to the ocean as blockade pay) and 2. only one of the flags involved will have the island after it's over. So I'd say, jobbers complaining about cades not going higher than 2K/seg are definitely spoiled.

But even so, this weekend, you had Olive at 4K/seg (and Dalnoth's 3P frig at 9999/seg). A couple of weeks ago, you had the Hadrian/Fintan drop/counterdrop at 6K/seg. I'll disagree with you and say that blockading on Viridian is far from dead and that what we need is not more paywars (even though those are pretty cool too), but rather more small, cheap and friendly blockades where new flags can learn the ropes (because if the blockades were cheaper, it would actually be worth giving it a shot even for an outpost, even for a small and not so rich flag). We also need less of the attitude that attack blockades are evil and something to be offended by, better sportsmanship and less of stomping new flags into the ground as they start trying.
Avienda
Nightmare/Legacy

Naggy avatar

Qvintvs flag royalty chats, "I won't play for that much longer and when I quit, my pirate's dead body will be sent out at sea on a burning ship and let's face it, you will be on that ship as well.
[Apr 19, 2011 5:16:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sav_

Well this proves jobbers have been spoilt.

Edit: I should've read Avi's post before I posted. Sniped >.>
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Sav_ at Apr 19, 2011 6:43:29 AM]
[Apr 19, 2011 6:24:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Elliptic

Jobbers who only want to blockade for 2K or more are just a subset of all blockade jobbers - just like posts agreeing with me are a subset of all true and good posts.
"That is not how the question frames itself."

Wend, royal archophobe
[Apr 22, 2011 5:20:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Captanharris

What Avienda said
[Apr 22, 2011 4:11:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
false_dmitri

M_Cobain wrote: 
Yeah jobbers definately deserve more poe!!!11

I'm imagining your avatar shouting this. It works incredibly well.
On hiatus. :(
[Apr 22, 2011 4:29:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taicho_1337

HAI!
Dear rm,

Please "accidentally" blockade havoc and lose. :D

Disclaimer: I'm not the guy that plays megalomaniac, I'm his younger brother's uncle's nephew's sister's granpa's son.
Megalomaniac of Viridian
[Apr 24, 2011 10:45:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mezzzo

HAI!
Dear rm,

Please "accidentally" blockade havoc and lose. :D

Disclaimer: I'm not the guy that plays megalomaniac, I'm his younger brother'suncle's nephew's sister's granpa's son.Dad

Mezzo :D

Hanging out...
Avy by Masters!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by mezzzo at Apr 25, 2011 1:04:48 AM]
[Apr 25, 2011 1:03:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 57   Pages: 2   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates