• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 17
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4159 times and has 16 replies Next Thread
Scenepainter

Dreadfully Decadent Decorations Reply to this Post

Ahoy,
let's play a fun game: I'll throw a bare bone room at you and you'll try to figure out what it could be used for by furnishing it accordingly. Be creative, use whatever furniture you like, even stuff you never owned and never will own.

Rules

• You must base your work on this scene . You may modify the given elements if needed as long as the original design remains recognizable.
  • You must use ScenePainter v3.0 or later. Earlier versions will not work for this event.
  • Your design must work as a template (e.g. for a Silly ScenePainter Sketch ). That is, you must leave enough free space for a pirate to stand/wander around. Limit yourself to "Tile scene elements" (and composites in case you want fringed floors).
  • Deadline: Two weeks from now.
  • You may post as many entries as you like. Just make them substantially different.

Submission guideline

• Upload your design here .
  • You must provide a meaningful title, a meaningful description (two sentences should suffice) and at least two meaningful tags. You must also enter "[nid:181]" (without the quotes) in the "based upon" field. All submissions must be in english. Only if you absolutely can't find someone to translate for you, you may post in german or spanish.
  • Link the your entry (the page itself, not the SCC or the preview image) in the event thread along with your pirate name, ocean and most likely time to catch you.

Judging

Your entry will be judged on the following criteria:

• General Idea. Your scene should fulfill a distinguishable purpose. An unloving collection of your favorite furniture, sprinkled around randomly, will cost you points. The same goes for cluttering. Junk rooms will be disqualified immediately.
  • Title and description of your submission. The wittier, the better. Non descriptive things like "My f1rst att3mpt" will cost you points.
  • Cleanness of your work. You'll loose points if elements overlap each other in a nonsensical way (e.g. if any piece of furniture ends up partially behind a door) or if you don't organize your elements into appropriate layers.

Prizes

First place will win 30 dubs, second place will win 20 dubs, third place will win 10 dubs. Judging will be done per entry, not per pirate. Therefore, one pirate might in fact win all 60 dubs. However, judging will only take place, if at least 10 substantially different and non-disqualified entries are submitted before the deadline.

Edit: Stupid me, it's "[nid:181]" not "[node:181]" what you have to enter in the "based upon" field.
----------------------------------------
Download ScenePainter
[Edit 5 times, last edit by Scenepainter at Apr 10, 2011 4:00:44 AM]
[Apr 8, 2011 6:21:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benarv

Re: Dreadfully Decadent Decorations Reply to this Post

Lol by "prices" did you mean "prizes"?
Pgoog says, "Hitch is the kind of guy who's nice to you...and you can't quite work out why"
[Apr 8, 2011 11:11:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scenepainter

Lol by "prices" did you mean "prizes"?

Ah snap, I thought I could sneak it in that you have to pay me for participating. Ok, fixed it to "prizes" ;).
Download ScenePainter
[Apr 9, 2011 2:37:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scenepainter

Some clarifications of the rules

The point of this event is not to produce a "Silly ScenePainter Sketch", but rather scenes that could be used as a basis for one. That is, you don't have to be funny in order to participate, just show you Feng Shui skills. If you can decorate your home with style and love to do so, than this is the event for you. What I'm not looking for (and what will get your entry disqualified) are "junk rooms". Do not just randomly throw pieces of furniture everywhere. You can do better, I now, you can.

Since I cannot define the term "junk room" formally, here's a checklist of do's and don't:

• Does your room have a way to enter? You don't nescessarily have to include a door or a staircase, but unless you are building a tomb, you probably want to explain how your furniture got in there.
  • Does your room require a night vision gear to find your way around? If not, consider placing windows, lamps, candles, glowing cryptonite,...
  • The title of the event may by "dreadfully decadent decorations", but this does not require you to put thrones everywhere. You are free to use any kind and number of treasure you want, but the goal really is not showcasing your personal (planned) trophy room. That's what your ingame house(s) is(are) for.
  • Stick with one style. Eastern and viking do not mix. Period.
  • Think about the purpose of your room. Can I point at a random object in it ask why you put it there and get a meaningful answer?
  • Does your room make sense? Do you really have a foraging pit in your bedroom? Shackled skeletons in your living room? Pigs in your bathroom? Again: I know how much you fancy the expensive/exotic stuff, but this is not the trophy room building event.
  • Does everything look like it was drawn with a ruler? This is not yotools! Sometimes you can accomplish better results by turning gridlock off and placing furniture freely.
  • What's your open space/used space ratio? Can people walk anywhere they are suppose to walk to without having to push crates and chests aside?
  • Are things that are suppose to line up (e.g. fences) properly aligned? Do things overlap in a meaningful way (e.g. furniture must not be sandwiched between a wall and a door)?
  • How long did it take you to create your entry? You are not assuming that you will win 30 dubloons for 5 minutes of work, are you? The devil is in the details. Show some love for your creation! Your entry should be able to visually compete with the rooms you actually find ingame (before dusting the props). The Microsoft slogan "it compiles, ship it" should not apply to your creation.

Also, keep the submission guidelines in mind! Only entries that are uploaded to the ScenePainter library (including a meaningful description/title) and are linked to the eventthread with your contact details can be judged.

You are allowed an unlimited number of entries. Getting a scene disqualified does not ban you from the event. Simply fix your errors and submit again.
Download ScenePainter
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Scenepainter at Apr 9, 2011 4:26:32 AM]
[Apr 9, 2011 4:09:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scenepainter

Another clarification:

Cleanness of your work. You'll loose points if elements overlap each other in a nonsensical way (e.g. if any piece of furniture ends up partially behind a door) or if you don't organize your elements into appropriate layers.

The term "layering" probably needs an explanation/introduction for those who have just begun using ScenePainter. With ScenePainter, scenes are logically structured like a file system. You can bring up the "FileManager" via View|SceneGraph or by the keyboard shortcut CTRL-G. The blankscene.scc file comes with three folder/directories: "Floor", "Walls" and "Objects", with "Objects" being empty and the other two containing the according elements. The "Objects" layer would be a good place to put furniture. To make ScenePainter drop new elements in that folder, you only have to activate it by selecting it (the active folder always shows a small house icon on it).
If you have accidentally placed elements in the wrong folder: No problem. Simply select (Remember: holding CTRL or SHIFT allows you to select multiple items at once) and move them to the right folder via Drag and drop.

Please note: You are free to organize your scene(s) in any way you want. Dropping all your elements into the "<Root Node>" folder will not disqualify you. However, keeping your SceneGraph ship shape is a sign of craftsmanship and that might make the difference between a first and a second place.

If, by the time of this writing, you have already submitted scenes and want to make changes, feel free to do so. Entries are not considered final before the deadline.
Download ScenePainter
[Apr 10, 2011 2:10:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

How do I upload a new version of an entry? I don't see an edit button anywhere.
A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[Apr 10, 2011 5:44:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
Scenepainter

How do I upload a new version of an entry? I don't see an edit button anywhere.

That's because you submitted anonymously. Can't allow anyone to simply edit everyone's entry (especially not in an event ;)).

Best option would be to register an account and sent me a PM so that I can assign the scene to it (that will allow you to manage all your scenes, you might want to add in the future). If you don't want an account, simply submit another scene and drop me a line so I can delete the obsolete one.
Download ScenePainter
[Apr 10, 2011 7:35:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
puppy1254170

Are we allowed to change walls and floors, or do we have to stick with the original room's features?
Missjessica on Sage Emerald

Starting back up from square one. *Sigh*
[Apr 13, 2011 8:25:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Katebarloww

Why can't I download the blank room? It just opens a tab with a bunch of nonsense font.
Not / Maliya. Mostly Emerald.
[Apr 13, 2011 11:53:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scenepainter

Are we allowed to change walls and floors, or do we have to stick with the original room's features?

You are allowed to change the walls and the floor, but you must keep the general shape of the room, so I have some common ground for judging.
Download ScenePainter
[Apr 14, 2011 3:01:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scenepainter

Why can't I download the blank room? It just opens a tab with a bunch of nonsense font.

Your browser apparently thinks, it can display ZIP files like they were HTML pages. Try right clicking the download link and select "Save As".
Download ScenePainter
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Scenepainter at Apr 14, 2011 3:48:17 AM]
[Apr 14, 2011 3:03:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

Are we allowed to alterate the original colors of uncustomizable elements, such as a bronze fish?

Are we allowed to use imported images as long as they're closely Puzzle Pirates related?
~ Sizzly of Emerald ~
[Apr 20, 2011 12:07:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scenepainter

Are we allowed to alterate the original colors of uncustomizable elements, such as a bronze fish?

Sure, go ahead. As long as it looks good, I won't complain.

Are we allowed to use imported images as long as they're closely Puzzle Pirates related?

Definitely not. You should only use tiles and composites. I may turn a blind eye to the occasional rat in the background or a parrot sitting on a tree, as long as these things can be called a detail. But using imported images will result in the SCC being no longer self contained and since you cannot upload images to the library that would result in broken scenes.
Download ScenePainter
[Apr 20, 2011 3:47:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scenepainter

Time's up!

Before announcing the winners, I'd like to thank everyone for participating. I have seen a lot of great work and really cool ideas (the Pac man scene was a particularly funny twist, albeit, of course, not rule compliant). Unfortunately, the rostrum has only room for a mere three winners and choosing them turned out to be a formidable challenge.

And here are the winners:

First place: Boochx with her Black Markert scene.

Second place: Notsizzly's Secret suite

Third place: Anye's Tournament room

Congratulations!
Download ScenePainter
[Apr 23, 2011 5:22:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

Could someone post screenshots of the winners entries so I don't have to download stuff and a program to see it? pretty pretty please?
Dexla d'Midnight
[Apr 23, 2011 8:42:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

Aww, thank you <3 and congratulations !
~ Sizzly of Emerald ~
[Apr 23, 2011 5:43:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

Black Market:

Secret Suite:

Tournament Room:

~ Sizzly of Emerald ~
[Apr 24, 2011 11:18:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates