• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 146
Posts: 146   Pages: 5   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 22725 times and has 145 replies Next Thread
Hrengito

Re: Island discussion

Er, yes. I was avoiding those for the reasons that Tichka/Squibnocket/Rowes would likely be worse than Arakoua (more like "Wissachikon" or Blackthorpe). Guess I forgot to include Tichka in my "no" column, but Barbary/Arakoua/Caravanserai are kind of weird boom+ghost towns.

I suspect it would be rather different if Admiral weren't the positive-feedback loop it is.

I think I also don't like the idea of opening an Osprey island because it would sort of put a dent in the "wild, dangerous seas" reputation it has.
----------------------------------------
Hrengito on all oceans, primarily Sage. Memmed: Sage(356/356).Viridian sea(25/282).
Best solo recorded 2-stop 50L time: 60m. In opposition to aftcastles for sloops everywhere.
[Mar 22, 2011 2:43:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hallaluah320

for malachite:
1 large/1medium.
Greenday
[Mar 22, 2011 4:46:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Julaxis

Alright seriously now. Lets get serious Mala players. All of you who think we need a large are a bunch of pave crazy morons raised in the society of every other ocean. You can have a perfectly cape able and thriving arch and ocean without a large island. You just can't build 4000 shoppe's on them like Failgu(Fugu) Island.

Personally, I'd like to see Ancathaster Spits opened and built with only Bazaars so that no shoppe can corner any one section of the economy for the island. This would greatly help the arch that it is in and bring new life to Mala.

I'd also like to see an island like Mirovia in Basilisk open as it expands the ocean into new archs that aren't quite as explored. But on that note to open an island that far back you might halfto open a few outposts across the ocean.
Formerly Julaxis of the Viridian and Malachite Oceans
[Mar 23, 2011 11:20:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MrSquiddy

The ocean of Midnight has long been plagued by having too many islands.
To rectify this problem, the pirates of Tyr's Own formally request for all the islands held by the flag to be reverted to Ringer control.

Old Squiddy doesn't think the Ringers should take Byrne because blockadin' Byrne be the traditional means fer tellin' the Ocean what a flag thinks o' Tyr's Own. And Spring might not get blockaded much, but when it changes hands, it always goes to the biggest, nastiest flag (or coalition) on the Ocean. Mebbe the Ringers should just take over ONE of yer islands and the winner o' the event could pick which one.

--Squiddy
[Mar 24, 2011 6:03:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
smacd87

Cobalt

I would like to see the southernmost interarch (Garnet to Onyx) opened up for more activity with one of the larges at each end opened- either Jubilee (Garnet) or Hadrian (Onyx). Jubilee would be my first choice here, as it would bring more action into Garnet, which currently only has 1 large in the form of Napi, while Onyx has 3 and Jade has 5 (even though 3 are Ringer-controlled). Should a large not be the right option for Cobalt's population, then I would advocate for either Echo (Garnet) or Oasis (Onyx) for this situation.

The second scenario I would advocate for is the opening of an island in southwest Garnet because, as was mentioned, the BK's do have an annoying habit of parking their flotillas in that region. I do NOT want to see Mermaid's Purse colonized, however, so my vote would be for Stormy Fell- again to give Garnet its second large, or if a large isn't in the cards for Cobalt, then Olin's Brow.

I would vote against opening Yax Mutal, as I feel it has a very "ancient ruins" type vibe to it that I would hate to see spoiled with buildings being put atop the pyramid.

There has also been discussion about simply turning over one of the Ringer islands to player control. But as all 4 of those (Dragon's Nest, Lima, Sakejima, and Typhoon) are in the Jade arch, I don't feel like that would be the best option.
Santhiago
A Shrew from Cobalt Cerulean (so my give-a-damn is most likely busted)

Avatar inspired by Psyyche, thank ye for being my muse :D
[Mar 24, 2011 11:35:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Abrownie

For Viridian this is my wishes:
I would love to see Dragon Nest open. It would bring a huge economic support in my belief to the lower Jade Arch. Most Large-Islands that are opened already are located in the Upper Arch. Also it already has some support buildings and wouldn't be hard to set up for a stable economy in the future.
If this is not possible I would like Mermaid's Purse because I want to give it names that are like "Thats what she said"
Love Abrownie,
Your "Infamous" Adrien. ;)
[Mar 24, 2011 5:21:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Roleni

If this is not possible I would like Mermaid's Purse because I want to give it names that are like "Thats what she said"

One of the reasons *not* to open Mermaid's Purse. <_<
Thalatta & others

Hera tells ye, "You got me so flustered by the spanking, I booched my chat response!"
Hera tells ye, "Purple is the most awesome colour ever!"
[Mar 24, 2011 6:06:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hallaluah320

Alright seriously now. Lets get serious Mala players. All of you who think we need a large are a bunch of pave crazy morons raised in the society of every other ocean. You can have a perfectly cape able and thriving arch and ocean without a large island. You just can't build 4000 shoppe's on them like Failgu(Fugu) Island.

Personally, I'd like to see Ancathaster Spits opened and built with only Bazaars so that no shoppe can corner any one section of the economy for the island. This would greatly help the arch that it is in and bring new life to Mala.

I'd also like to see an island like Mirovia in Basilisk open as it expands the ocean into new archs that aren't quite as explored. But on that note to open an island that far back you might halfto open a few outposts across the ocean.

the reason why malachite is dead is partly because there is no bigger goals when you play. Malachite needs a large island so people actually have big goals to achieve. With your no paving argument, Malachite will never grow. And last time I checked Fugu has 3 shops. I don't think 3=4000 even if you were being sarcastic.
Greenday
[Mar 24, 2011 6:44:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Julaxis

The only way mala is ever going to get a Large is if the OMs decide to remap some of the current mediums whether colonized or un-colonized into larges. You don't need a Large though. You could just as easily open a ringer medium or two and be just fine for creating the kind of competition your after.

But by no means does Mala need a Large right now with the current population levels. If the population on mala were to increase between now and then maybe sure it would be a good to have a Large. But right now I think it best to focus on actually thinking logically when colonizing new islands and building bazaars to suit the islands they are built on and in the archipelago they are in. Instead of building 3 shoppes. Or multiple housing types for the sake of having it.

If mala worked together stablize the entire oceans economy rather than a specific arch that a flag may control the majority of the economy in the entire ocean would be much better off. Nuff said.
[Mar 24, 2011 10:05:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
6Dirtydisco9

Hunter

Moultrie
I think density of islands is very important to an archipelago's success. One of the most promising underdeveloped areas of Hunter is the cluster of islands surrounding Armstrong. The routes are a good length, and there is useful, basic-goods spawn on both Moultrie and Atchafalaya. The region also boasts one on Hunter's best pillage routes.

At the moment though, it just seems very provincial. People are more likely to move from Canis to Orion after spawning because of the same reasons people move from the country to the city: the perception of more attractions and better opportunity.

Creating a pair of twin colonised larges in close proximity would shift the balance away from Orion. Provided Moultrie becomes well developed, the appeal both to ordinary players and political players would rival that of Orion's, and this would only build on itself.

Having a second large so close stands a good chance of stimulating, rather than hurting Armstrong's economy, provided Moultrie is developed to the same extent. There will be a flood of resources into the region as the well-resourced players compete for the right to create Hunter's newest large in their own style and vision. This will also spark interest and life into the ocean in general.

No single island will ever be able to compare to Aimuari, but twin city-islands would stand the best chance.

Opening up any of the foraging islands
There are only four islands that people use with any regularity to forage on in Hunter. Opening any of them, especially if it's only for spawn or to gain a chart would damage the game for foragers and people who raise crew/flag funds through forage, for minimal benefit. The argument that opening an island will mean that it becomes chartable is limited at best, and invalid at worst, simply because shipyards get dusted. This happened recently in Pleiades, rendering many of the archipelago's charts unpurchasable.

Additionally, the problem of 'missing links' between the islands and archipelagos is part of the game's essential design. It is also not the reason behind poor trade between islands. Anyone who is dedicated enough trading will acquire the route, people who don't have the resources or patience (especially given that trading demands a great deal of patience) to get the routes are never going to add that much to the trade economy in any case.
- Dirtydisco +

Hunter Ocean
[Mar 24, 2011 10:07:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ade446

The only way mala is ever going to get a Large is if the OMs decide to remap some of the current mediums whether colonized or un-colonized into larges. You don't need a Large though. You could just as easily open a ringer medium or two and be just fine for creating the kind of competition your after.
I'm sorry but none of this is true, after a medium have been opened and who ever gets it has it's Inn and the eventual shoppes they might drop on the island, it's really not valuable.

But by no means does Mala need a Large right now with the current population levels. If the population on mala were to increase between now and then maybe sure it would be a good to have a Large. But right now I think it best to focus on actually thinking logically when colonizing new islands and building bazaars to suit the islands they are built on and in the archipelago they are in. Instead of building 3 shoppes. Or multiple housing types for the sake of having it.

I'll say this once, Mala needs a large to gain population, Mala does not need population to gain a large, it doesnt work the second way. Opening a medium will do nothing seeing as it would just be another island for people to sit on, we already have too many Island per Cade active flag, I repeat, we do not need another Island that people is just going to sit on, that kills the ocean even more. The reason we need a large is so that people actually have a goal, they have something to achieve, which you dont have by holding a medium, even an outpost is sometimes even a better choice than a medium.

If mala worked together stablize the entire oceans economy rather than a specific arch that a flag may control the majority of the economy in the entire ocean would be much better off.

Could you explain this further as to how mala would work together a.s.o.?
Sincerely
[Mar 25, 2011 1:11:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Julaxis

Okay. Boyk. So what if I pose this solution to you. Mala doesn't get a new island yet. Instead the OMs converted one medium in every large arch into a large island for the three already colonized archs they converted already colonized islands.

The ocean then still gets an even # of larges per arch and the ocean gets the much wanted large islands that everyone is after so desperately. And instead of having just one large that everyone wants there are two that could be chased after evenly.

Seems like a decent solution to me. And then instead of an event to decide on which island will open they can run an event for which mediums are converted to larges. Problem solved.

As for how the ocean can work together? Yea I haven't figured that out yet. Im still working on that one. ;)

I'd also like to note that this idea prevents the spread of the oceans population across even more islands but rather could condense it to certain islands.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Julaxis at Mar 25, 2011 9:36:19 AM]
[Mar 25, 2011 9:32:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bronzebeard

How about ye get around to opening up those Adventure Islands?
Peglegpaul
Now on Obsidian!
[Mar 25, 2011 10:02:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ade446

Okay. Boyk. So what if I pose this solution to you. Mala doesn't get a new island yet. Instead the OMs converted one medium in every large arch into a large island for the three already colonized archs they converted already colonized islands.

The ocean then still gets an even # of larges per arch and the ocean gets the much wanted large islands that everyone is after so desperately. And instead of having just one large that everyone wants there are two that could be chased after evenly.

Seems like a decent solution to me. And then instead of an event to decide on which island will open they can run an event for which mediums are converted to larges. Problem solved.

Well, so far. I think the Ocean isn't ready for two Larges. I think the cade scene would be more active if there was just one since we dont have enough well funded flags or enough flags at all to contest both Islands constantly and having some notice to the other islands on the ocean. As soon as we start getting plus number in our population I would be all for the second Large "upgrade".

I dont totally think this idea is wrong at all, it might be an option that should be considered. Although the process of that being done is most likely longer, if accepted by the OMs at all, than what the Island Openings are right now.

Bottom line, we need a Large however.
Sincerely
[Mar 25, 2011 12:48:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hallaluah320

Well, so far. I think the Ocean isn't ready for two Larges. I think the cade scene would be more active if there was just one since we dont have enough well funded flags or enough flags at all to contest both Islands constantly and having some notice to the other islands on the ocean. As soon as we start getting plus number in our population I would be all for the second Large "upgrade".

I dont totally think this idea is wrong at all, it might be an option that should be considered. Although the process of that being done is most likely longer, if accepted by the OMs at all, than what the Island Openings are right now.

Bottom line, we need a Large however.

Had mala got large when pop. was at 250 avg years ago, this ocean wouldve been better than the current state. we are almost 3 yrs into celebrating malachite. And no player owned large islands. Facepalm
Greenday
[Mar 25, 2011 1:05:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MattMason84

Windward Vale on Cobalt please, but only if yer going to leave the skelly stuff and the shrine in place.
Pyralis, SO of Axis Analemma, Prince of Maniacal Menagerie.
[Mar 26, 2011 8:52:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ppplushies

Hook Shelf or Jacks Last Gift on Sage.

Reasons: No need for a Large or Medium to be opened, and if either of these Outposts get opened, they'd benefit the economy by selling commodities at an elite pillaging route, promoting pillages there. Hook Shelf helps out the Merchants by being in the biggest, highest-populated arch.
Kadazzle
[Mar 27, 2011 6:34:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nortoneer

I agree with Dirtydisco, opening Edgar's or Toba could be potentially harmful to the ocean's economy. These islands are the 2 main forage islands on hunter and generate a lot of money for cades. I would personally like Pallou or Nunatuq opened.

Nortoneer on Hunter ocean
Prince of Epic Quest
Captain of Artificial Intelligence.
Nortoneer
Prince Of Epic Quest
Capn' of Artificial Intelligence
SO of King Of Booches
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Nortoneer at Mar 30, 2011 1:18:46 PM]
[Mar 28, 2011 7:05:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
warp11

At this point, I personally have changed my mindset to something like this:
Immokalee and Myvatn.
Myvatn spawns Wood and Hemp, Immokalee spawns Hemp, Iron and Lily of the Valley. Cut together with Iron and Wood from Sirius and Sugarcane from Lowland, this is a place that could nurse great commerse if the islands were to be colonized properly. It could most probably steer some of the dominance away from Aimuari which would also be helpful for the blockading game on the ocean.

The only issue would lie within the fact that Immokalee and Myvatn is an interarch route, that means charts would not be purchasable. In order to get around this, the island holding flag could have charters ready to help and also sell these interocean charts for basically nothing by hand at the palace.
Dahl "I have higher moral standards" gren
[Edit 1 times, last edit by warp11 at Mar 29, 2011 1:07:23 AM]
[Mar 29, 2011 1:06:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagan4

Mala

There seems to be two different camps offering suggestions right now. The main disagreement revolves around whether a large would be a benefit or a detriment to the ocean at this time. The fact of the matter is that neither side can give enough evidence in support of their opinion to convince the other, and perhaps the truth is that there simply doesn't exist enough evidence from other oceans as to what impact a large would have on mala.

So here's what we do know:
- Islands are a poe sink for flags - with only a few exceptions
* As a result, most flags don't blockade to generate poe, but for the "prestige" involved
- Outposts transfer a shoppe to the island holder, but that shoppe is at risk every weekend
- Mediums, once built, tend to require constant work to run with little revenue
- Larges can always be built on, revenue from selling shoppes can be very lucrative thus paving becomes an attractive option
* Historically, it's rarely been the original flag that paves, but subsequent owners
* It takes several months to fully build infrastructure, and is obvious very quickly when owners decide to sell shoppes rather then complete the island - giving plenty of time for others to step in and take the island away

- Mala's population has been dwindling
- That population tends to be spread pretty thin - 3 open arches (lilac not included), but Gila is all but uninhabited and even Drogeo, which spawns greenies, tends not to have more then 5 people in the inn at a time.

So what does all of this mean? First off, opening a medium or large in a currently unopened arch will just be a repeat of what has happened in Gila. A few people might move there, but by and large it will be inhabited by stall managers and whisking alts and continue to spread out the population. Assuming proper bazaars are built the island will only be attractive, at first, to stall owners who will be able to get cheaper commodities from bots due to their proximity to spawns. This option would be fine if the population was growing and I'll go so far as to say it's necessary to expand the ocean eventually, but at the current population levels it would serve only to further spread out our numbers and make the ocean less attractive to new players.

A better option in the unopened archs would be an outpost. An outpost would provide an island to restock on, making journeys into those arches less of a hassle and could be a goldmine for the owner who would be able to sell stock to people who run smhs but don't feel like moving stock 50 leagues every time a new chart spawns.

The suggestion has been brought up that the ringers open up the OM controlled islands for colonization. Although I agree that this would be a attractive target for any flag, the history of this being done makes it highly unlikely to happen and thus is more of a pipe dream request then an actual option. Although I don't know what OOO truly plans, it seems likely that their intent on Mala was to have one OM owned arch that provided well built islands safe from player/BK tax hikes and thus I doubt we'll see any islands opened in Lacerta in the near future.

The real question then becomes, assuming an island will be opening in either Gila, Komodo, or both, what size island makes the most sense.

Outpost
- Komodo would not benefit from a outpost. No shoppe, save the charts from a SY, brings anything to the arch that isn't there. Gila would only benefit if the owner built an apothecary on it, possible but a little unlikely, and who wants to take that gamble.

Medium
- Both arches would benefit from a medium, Gila in particular would be able to have an apothecary finally and additional housing could be built on both, creating incentive for people to move to these arches. The downside to mediums is the same it always is, Once it is built there is little incentive for flags to blockade them as described above.

Large
- Both arches benefit greatly from a large for largely the same reasons that a medium would be beneficial. A large would allow all of the housing to be built, and provide a greenie spawn. Unlike a medium, larges are always an attractive blockade target

With the current population of Mala, and the number of blockading flags out there, I don't believe opening two larges is in the best interest of the ocean at this time. The competition for one large will be intense. But if two were to open then two blockading rings would both be able to take one and have little incentive to attack the other. In other words, less is more. The ocean is already reaching a point where there are more islands, then flags willing to blockade them. Opening multiple larges further compounds this problem.

So why open any islands? Why not just leave it as it is? For two reasons. First, island openings provide goals for flags that simply aren't there with colonized islands. The weeks and months leading up to an island opening will see increased activity on the ocean as all the interested flags try to increase recruiting and prepare both their fleets and war chests for the big day.

Second, let's face facts folks, the Mala ocean is currently dying. Some people prefer the quiet experience offered on Mala but there is a point where quiet turns into ghost and Mala will go the way of Crimson. There needs to be incentives for flags to stay on Mala rather then migrate to other more populated oceans. We've already lost a lot of top end players who preferred the game play options offered on other oceans and many current players play simultaneously on other oceans because it's easier to do certain things there. How long before those players also decide that there is no reason to log on to Mala anymore.

A large island provides a goal for blockading flags that doesn't exist in a medium. It allows flags to build shoppes to reward their members rather then simply hand out infrastructure deeds. And perhaps most importantly, once built it will become the center of commerce for the ocean. People have expressed a fear that a new large will become like Admiral on Sage, in that everyone goes to the inn and treats it like a bazaar, but how is this a bad thing? Perhaps an ocean needs an inn like this to survive. There will always be islands and arches with quiet inns that people can retreat to if they don't enjoy crowded inns. But without a crowded inn, where are people supposed to go to "hang" out and inn tart with other people. Having a popular island where people can hang out is a good thing and will give the residents of Mala something that they don't have.

For all the above reasons I believe that Mala should keep island openings to a minimum. I believe one large should be opened, preferably in Gila to allow for arch completion, or in Komodo allowing the arch to compete with Lacerta for population. Further I believe either one or two outposts total, in Draco and/or Chameleon would be beneficial to the ocean.
Sagan on Emerald
Sagan-West on Meridian
[Mar 29, 2011 9:02:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PrincessKyli

Mala:
I'm quoting what Sheeran said here because I think it needs to be in this thread and I agree with it completely.

Some of what I say here has been said previously in the post, and some of it I put into my post on the OM's thread. I am stating it here to show it as being my own opinions on the matter.

I would like to see a large opened, not because I think it would fix all our problems and/or not cause any problems/risks of its own, but because I think that the benefits to having a large are more than the problems/risks.

Malachite needs to have all the housing types. I don't say this because I think the ocean is going to die because it doesn't have all the houses, nor do I think getting all the housing types will save the ocean by itself. I just feel that the ocean is made a little bit worse by not having all the housing types, and I would like to see that changed. My two favorite housing types are cottages and estates, and we don't have either of them on the ocean. I am sure there are other people who have favorites among the other housing types that aren't here either.

Malachite needs a few shoppes that are available to individuals instead of just flags. People enjoy being able to own property for themselves, along with being able to participate in what many people consider the end game of the merchant aspect of puzzle pirates. I am guessing that at least a few people have left mala once they have realized that they will potentially never have a chance of owning a shoppe of their own on this ocean.

Both of these things, especially the housing one, can potentially also be solved by opening a number of mediums. However, in order to do this without really screwing things up worse it would require a minimum of 3-4 mediums, and even more if you want to add any additional greenie spawn locations to the ocean. I personally think that that many additional islands will hurt the ocean's blockading health. Currently there are maybe 2-3 flags on the ocean both desiring to and able to blockade that don't have at least one island, and that is with BI holding 3 already. Adding 3+ more basically means either every flag that wants an island will have one (which leads to a drastic decrease in blockading), or more flags will have to hold multiple islands (whether or not they have the fleet or ability to deal with them all). This is a major problem on Midnight (and to a smaller extent on some of the other older oceans too) with very little cading because every cading flag already has islands.

Another benefit is that it should theoretically increase blockading by itself. Currently there are no islands on Malachite that you can gain almost any benefit at all from owning. Granted, no islands anywhere are generally ever pay back the money spent on getting them, but at least on a large you can get the tangible benefit of a shoppe from it. This generally makes larges much more desirable for blockading, and may create more interest in blockading on Malachite.

Now to the potential drawbacks:

Some people are worried that whatever flag takes the island will become far too powerful. I am not really certain how that is supposed to happen unless people are still following the mistaken belief that getting islands generally makes flags rich, instead of being a loss of poe like they really are. As long as at least two flags seriously contend for the island when it opens, it is almost impossible that the island will ever pay back what it costs. If it costs even half what it cost to colonize Nightshade to take the large, it would require at least a month or two of basically constant paving of the island (not even counting the time spent building infrastructure etc which would add some additional weeks of ownership) to pay it off. Meanwhile, new flags could see what was going on and cade more to try to stop them, increasing the cost of the island. The only significant danger of increasing the strength of the flag holding the island is that the flag would gain crew/flag members due to the status of being a large island holding flag, but I doubt that this is significantly different from owning a medium island or two (and in my experience this isn't really a significant source of recruitment).

Some people are worried about a large being screwed up by it's owner, but with an ocean as politically motivated and aware as ours it would be pretty tough to do on a large, as opposed to a medium. The problem with a medium is that you can basically screw it up in one week of ownership by building two extra shoppes as Losgar did. Building two extra shoppes on a large certainly might make it worse, but its unlikely to actually ruin it. There is certainly a danger of overbuilding the large in the long run as new flags take it and build a couple shoppes over and over again, but the only solution to this is to never open a large. As someone that currently enjoys being a shoppe owner, I would very much not like to see that kept from other people by setting that as the solution.

In my opinion the biggest concern is that building a large now could potentially focus too much of the economy onto one island/arch, making it the Aimauri or Admiral of Malachite. This is a very valid concern, and one that I am very much taking into consideration while I am pushing for a large. I think this is minimized to an extent if it is placed in the less developed arches like Gila (which is why I am heartily opposed to opening Morgan until there are other larges in other arches), but to an extent some focusing on the arch is going to happen. This is definitely a negative in my opinion, but it may still actually provide some small benefit in the short term by helping new players and such actually be in a location with some population.

In short, I think the potential benefits (all types of housing, shoppes actually available to players, more viability to blockading) outweigh the potential costs (minuscule increase to the power of the island holder, danger of being ruined, danger of becoming the focus of the ocean's economy). I definitely think that the drawbacks to a large are smaller than the drawbacks to 3+ more mediums at this point in time.

For what it's worth, I will throw my poe and abilities into stopping any flag from ruining new islands as much as I can, even if that ended up being the flag I am currently in. I trust the leadership members of all the flags that I think currently might be capable of taking any of the island openings, so I don't think its going to be an issue anyways. However, if BI somehow decided to try to pave the island or something like that I would leave and join a flag that wanted to try to stop them, bringing with me my poe, fleet, and what interocean support I could. If another flag takes the island and tries to pave it, I will run myself out of poe cading them to try to stop them and to keep them from profiting from doing so. I hope there are at least a few people that would trust my word enough for that to mean something. With Losgar by the time we figured out what he was doing it was too late to do anything about it, but with a large in particular that can potentially be avoided in the future.

Princesskyli of Malachite
SO of Day of Reckoning
Princess of Blue Ice
[Edit 1 times, last edit by PrincessKyli at Mar 29, 2011 11:09:43 PM]
[Mar 29, 2011 11:05:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Raider81

Cobalt- Jubilee
Crip- Cerulean
Crip- Cobalt
Raider- Midnight
Raider- Azure

Galene tells ye, "Glad you have a sense of humor. Nice to give you a little trouble for all the trouble you have given us!"
[Mar 30, 2011 11:54:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
zeinasway

On the Cobalt ocean:

I agree with Santhiago. Jubilee is a logical choice since that interarch route does not have any habitable islands. If not Jubilee, then it would make sense to pick islands in southwestern Garnet so that people can purchase charts in the area, and so that stock can be available for purchase when flotillas and sea monster hunt maps spawn in that area.

-Zeina
Ryujin says, "zeina = 3 gunner... she + allitara = guns full"
[Mar 30, 2011 12:04:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Malatise

Cobalt: Jubilee
Malatise, SO of Flirts and Damsels
Lady of Wench
Cobalt Ocean

Fabulous Puppetar by Tilinka! :D
[Mar 30, 2011 2:21:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Soyabean_nl

Opal need a new large island

Toba
Soyabean, Prince of Shadows
Online since 2004
[May 4, 2011 3:38:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

I'm going to lock this now so I can go through it again - thanks all for your contributions. :)
[May 5, 2011 2:26:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 146   Pages: 5   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates