• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 75
Posts: 75   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 13388 times and has 74 replies Next Thread
Apollo
OceanMaster

Limited Edition Portrait Background - Puzzle 2 Edition [RESULTS POSTED] Reply to this Post

Ahoy again, everyone! It's portrait background time again!

Theme:
This month's theme is "Puzzle Backgrounds" - our second edition for this theme. This month is a search for puzzle-themed backgrounds. By this, I mean portrait backgrounds that relate to one of the puzzles we play in the game. Remember that while you can draw inspiration from the game art, you should create all the art in the background yourself, rather than copying it across! For this edition, we'd like you to stick to any of the non-shoppe puzzles apart from duty navigation. The arrrtists will pick their favorite background(s) this month, and it's likely that we'll run it again in the future for other puzzles that aren't selected this time - so concentrate on quality not on quantity!
NOTE: This is the second time we have run this theme, and after the previous edition, the arrrtists chose one background (Navigation, by Pishkirlin) to become a permanent addition. We are therefore not looking for navigation backgrounds.

Submissions: Entrants will create original backgrounds that are consistent with the theme and style of the game. The image must look sensible with characters placed on it in any of the orientations possible for its size.

Entries must fit the appropriate scale:
1-pirate backgrounds: 348 x 650
2-pirate backgrounds: 696 x 650
Large backgrounds: 1600 x 1170
Expansive backgrounds: 2000 x 1275

Reworking entries: (to update an entry, please upload the latest version with the same file name as the previous version of the entry). If you want an alternative version rather than a replacement, multiple entries per artist are also acceptable. You can enter multiple times for any theme.

Only original art is accepted. You must create the images yourself.
Plagiarized entries, photographs, and other unsuitable entries may be removed from the entry page without notice.
You may use reference materials for your work, but if you base your work substantially on a reference, please acknowledge it in your forum post. You do not need to acknowledge any game art used as reference material.

Upload your images to the YPPedia, name the file according to the naming scheme listed there, and also post links to the thumbnails here in this thread, for comment. If you want your pirate name to appear rather than your account name should you win, please follow the image tag scheme below carefully.

Note: updated instructions for destination filename
The arrrtists have requested a change to the naming of files uploaded to YPPedia for this contest. This naming scheme is not the same as the general YPPedia file upload scheme, but I have warned the YPPedia admins, and we're hoping the name scheme is distinctive enough that it won't cause undue confusion. I believe it also means that the images will no longer be sorted by the alphabetical categories. Note that, at least for now, this is in addition to the requirements for the image tags. Here is the format they want for the filename on YPPedia:

monthly_piratename_title.png

All in lower case (but YPPedia will change the first m into M - don't worry about this). So, if I want my portrait background to appear as Apollo's Sloppy Work, I would use:

montly_apollo_SloppyWork.png

Note: updated instructions for tags in summary field
The tag for this contest is "april11contest" so that we know which entries to consider when judging starts. The summary field for the upload, then, should be:
{{contesttag|accountname|creditname|portraittitle}}
where
"contesttag" is replaced by this month's tag shown below, "accountname" is replaced by your own forum name
"creditname" is replaced by either your forum name again, or your pirate name, whichever you want credited with the background
"portraittitle" is replaced by your suggested title for the portrait background (no spaces)

e.g. {{april11contest|Apollo|Luckysun|Sailing}}
or {{april11contest|Cassopia|Whitenose|Crabs}}

If the name to credit the portrait with is the same as the account name, it would go in twice.
e.g. {{april11contest|Apollo|Apollo|RoyalFlush}}

Judging: Quality of work, style, how well the background fits with the game's theme, and how well the placement of the portrait characters fit into the background are the primary determining factors.

The entries will be judged in the Three Rings offices by the artists and developers and the winner will be put into future releases as a Limited Edition portrait background. The portrait background may also be re-used for limited times later, and even (if appropriate) to be adopted as a longer-term or permanent portrait background, rather than a limited duration one. The same winning artist may be chosen more than once for different entries. Entrants may be asked by the arrrtists to make small changes to their designs after the judging.

Submitted works are eligible for winning future contests. Artists who entered backgrounds in a previous contest: if they are eligible for the current contest, please enter them again! We would love to reconsider them. Likewise, if a background does not win, it can be submitted for future contests, as long as it fits within the theme of each contest.

Prizes:
A winning entry will be included in the in-game list of available portrait backgrounds, usually for a limited duration. If the background is selected as a permanent addition, the title may be changed. Anyone in the game can use it when it is available. Each winning entrant will also receive a Puzzle Pirates real-life item and a pack of playing cards in the mail, a free copy of his/her portrait in-game, and a clothing item of her choice in the color(s) of her choice. This item can be any clothing item that can be ordered from a tailoring shoppe (exclusions are those items requiring Designs, and those items requiring Reputation eligibility). In the event of the same artist winning multiple prizes or multiple months, an additional clothing item can be substituted for the real-life prizes if the artist does not feel like having a household full of Puzzle Pirates Paraphernalia.

Deadline:
April 15th 2011, 11:59pm game time

Suggestions: Make it look like it came right out of the game. Get your line weights down, and compare with existing portraits to be sure. Keep your lighting consistent with the lighting on the pirate portrait art. Choose a scene that many in the game would like to use. Take your time and rework, going to others for advice and critique. A very small signature in the lower right corner is acceptable. In general avoid words - if you do use them, use them minimally, and only when they are not central to the understanding of the portrait.

Also, take note of the way some sizes get cropped.

Questions, discussion, entries and feedback can all be posted here. Good luck!

Edit:
Para leer este concurso en español, da clic aquí .
----------------------------------------
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Apollo at Apr 22, 2011 6:21:30 AM]
[Mar 16, 2011 5:48:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
micklauer

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - Puzzle 2 Edition [Deadline 15 April 2011] Reply to this Post

I think it's time I took a swing at this.
Devout follower of Apollo
d(-_^) Blackhat Approved
[Mar 16, 2011 1:06:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - Puzzle 2 Edition [Deadline 15 April 2011] Reply to this Post

Rhodin Jr. went to bed early for like the first time in her life. So, here's a Powder Room for gunnon. The walls are supposed to be copper.

Pirateless

So, would I have to translate "Powder" into at least 3 languages on the off chance that I win? German and Spanish are probably easy enough, but Japanese is a minefield for the untutored.
A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[Mar 16, 2011 10:16:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
cgg1305

This is one of the themes I cannot miss.

Working on this for rigging:

A well-tanned blonde wrote: 
So, would I have to translate "Powder" into at least 3 languages on the off chance that I win? German and Spanish are probably easy enough, but Japanese is a minefield for the untutored.

I believe there is a no word policy for backgrounds. I would rather increase the size of the symbol and remove the word.
Pishkirlin of Emerald
[Mar 17, 2011 2:15:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

No Pirates
[Mar 17, 2011 9:55:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
Captain_Asad

I must say the word Powder in the background looked better with the logo, so your original choice I've would've chosen.
Head Captain of Noblehearts
King of Northern Royalty
Lover of All People
Swinger
Crier
Noob
Boo
Et
G

Wants his deleted account back *cries :)
[Mar 17, 2011 5:46:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://facebook.com/asadjamal    asad.jamal@rocketmail.com [Link]  Go to top 
Captain_Asad

What program do you guys use to produce your art work?
Head Captain of Noblehearts
King of Northern Royalty
Lover of All People
Swinger
Crier
Noob
Boo
Et
G

Wants his deleted account back *cries :)
[Mar 17, 2011 5:50:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://facebook.com/asadjamal    asad.jamal@rocketmail.com [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

I use photoshop and SumoPaint :) There is a list of good programs and tutorials on Yppedia - here .
~~~ Adrielle, Ezzleart and Enfyz ~~~
... (& @AmazinAdrielle on Twitter) ...
[Mar 18, 2011 2:23:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
cgg1305

What program do you guys use to produce your art work?

I used Photoshop... before discovering Illustrator.

Done with Rigging...

... and with Sailing.

EDIT: now with 100% more seagull!
Pishkirlin of Emerald
[Edit 1 times, last edit by cgg1305 at Mar 18, 2011 9:10:51 AM]
[Mar 18, 2011 4:53:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bethieboo

... and with Sailing.

This makes me consider falling back in love with sails.
Sera/phie

Yassenn says, "you'd be surprised, i made this really cool spreadsheet a week or two ago"

Avi by Wayfarer
[Mar 18, 2011 8:33:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
saintdiana

i really like those tangles in rigging, it's an excellent metaphor (and, to me, looks a bit like neurons connecting :p). is it a final version? could there be a splat! somewhere in there? not sure how that would work with the sky beyond, but one can hope.

p.s. welcome back ^_^
~ owlwhisperer ~
[Mar 18, 2011 9:14:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
micklauer

So I'm noticing a theme with the backgrounds ... that they literally include puzzle pieces, rather than simply being about a puzzle...

When anyone who knows for sure gets a chance, could they let me know if this idea falls within the parameters of the contest?

I wanted to do a street scene brawling ring for boxing.

Based on the boxing bg:

If the contest requires something more literally "puzzle themed", I'm happy to come up with something else :)

the bestest, and thanks!

M!ck
(Kingpriam, Ricepirate on NG)
d(-_^) Blackhat Approved
[Mar 18, 2011 9:51:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

I'm certainly no authority on the matter, but last year 's allowed "related to" imagery. Most of the backgrounds usually fall into that parameter.
Dexla d'Midnight
[Mar 18, 2011 10:32:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
riku743

Done with Rigging...

Want. Slight nitpick though, those don't quite look like rigging pieces to me. I would add the little swirls and lines that are on the pieces. Looks great though.
Nil used to play Mala.
Lurking on the forums.
[Mar 18, 2011 1:00:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cgg1305

Want. Slight nitpick though, those don't quite look like rigging pieces to me. I would add the little swirls and lines that are on the pieces. Looks great though.

i really like those tangles in rigging, it's an excellent metaphor (and, to me, looks a bit like neurons connecting :p). is it a final version? could there be a splat! somewhere in there? not sure how that would work with the sky beyond, but one can hope. p.s. welcome back ^_^

Aye, aye. Will both try to change the pieces and think of something for the background. Thanks!

Any suggestion for Gunnery (except for dramatizing the background with WAR!!1! scenes)?

Pishkirlin of Emerald
[Mar 19, 2011 3:25:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

Any suggestion for Gunnery (except for dramatizing the background with WAR!!1! scenes)?

1. A "Filling Room", which is the rather well-shielded area between the magazine and the actual cannons where the powder was carefully measured into felt bags for ease of transport. The bags probably weren't bright red in real life. This would be a good place to draw a monkey.
2. A rack holding various cannon-related items, like the worm, sponge, ramrod, and a box holding the "OMG we're getting attacked now" pre-prepared shot.
3. A rack full of cannonballs.
4. You could also do a powder magazine. Mine's based on the USS Constitution's vertical storage solution, but I've seen normal shelves, too.
[Mar 19, 2011 9:13:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
Mandingo22

I love the gunning bg, but I have 2small concerns

I know you are representing the puzzle pieces, but the power ball on deck, could be better as the powder bag (maybe) i think it works better as a concept

Also the pieces in the air, I get those, but again in terms of reality, you would never see the powder as it has exploded to get the ball firing, perhaps also the wad too.......

Please fell free to ignore this if it does not fit into a different concept to what you imagined.
Bluetongue
[Mar 19, 2011 2:17:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cgg1305

Bluetongue wrote: 
I love the gunning bg, but I have 2small concerns...

Aye. I know the ball is less realistic than a bag, but I tried both options and in my opinion it is the one that looks better, at least the way I drew it. Ok, I'll try again.
As for the balls in the airs... well, actually they are supposed to be the monkey's juggling balls. Maybe it's not clear enough. :-/
Anyway, thanks for your feed-back!

Meantime, I have tried to improve Rigging:

Pishkirlin of Emerald
[Mar 20, 2011 2:50:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Verziga

These are all looking awesome...nice work everyone.

Micklauer...can't wait to see a finished version of that boxing ring :)

Pishkirlin...all of yours so far are fantastic. Sailing has to be my favourite I think. Clean and simple and beautifully done. I think the juggling monkey on the gunning pic is more than clear enough as it is. I'd be surprised if you don't get at least one more permanent background out of these...if not two or three.
Verziga of Emerald
Senior Officer and Ambassador of the crew 'Deadliest Catch'
Lord of the flag 'League of Light'
Too busy to play...too busy to draw. Stupid job :(
[Mar 20, 2011 8:20:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
micklauer

Actually started today... I don't have a 3D program, so my lighting will likely be off. For now, most things are just placeholders. But I think the overall color comp will be nice.

Still debating between a city scape bg or a wall ... obviously the wall would be make it "easier" I'm just curious if pirates "boxed" outdoors ... or indoors...

d(-_^) Blackhat Approved
[Mar 20, 2011 3:14:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cgg1305

Verziga wrote: 
Pishkirlin...all of yours so far are fantastic. Sailing has to be my favourite I think. Clean and simple and beautifully done. I think the juggling monkey on the gunning pic is more than clear enough as it is. I'd be surprised if you don't get at least one more permanent background out of these...if not two or three.

Coming from a great artist like yourself, that is really high praise! Thank you!

Kingpriam wrote: 
I'm just curious if pirates "boxed" outdoors ... or indoors...

Judging from the fact that the bottom right corner seems to depict a stafish on the beach, I'd say the arrrtists opted for outdoors. :)
Anyway, nice job so far. Looking forward to see it completed.
Pishkirlin of Emerald
[Mar 20, 2011 10:38:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

I think pirates would probably box anywhere =D
~~~ Adrielle, Ezzleart and Enfyz ~~~
... (& @AmazinAdrielle on Twitter) ...
[Mar 21, 2011 3:37:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

A thought in regards to the juggling monkey - and I'm not even sure I like this suggestion - but to convey the fact that the balls are being juggled and not just levitating, what if you added some slight suggestion of directional motion? A blur, or faint lines indicating the path which they are moving in? Just mentioning it as something to consider.
Dexla d'Midnight
[Mar 21, 2011 5:45:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
micklauer

[quote]I'm just curious if pirates "boxed" outdoors ... or indoors...[/quote]
Judging from the fact that the bottom right corner seems to depict a stafish on the beach, I'd say the arrrtists opted for outdoors. :)
Anyway, nice job so far. Looking forward to see it completed.[/quote]

ROFL!

I noticed the starfish, but never the beach!

Thanks for pointing that out! hahhaah, okay... Time to add some sandy beaches...
d(-_^) Blackhat Approved
[Mar 21, 2011 7:01:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Narcissag

is not finish yet ofc there is alot of lines dont match but is basically the idea o first sketch any coment will be nice x)

(and yes i do mental carp always at the university!)
Narci

"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Narcissag at Mar 22, 2011 4:15:24 AM]
[Mar 22, 2011 4:11:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RRueda

These are all looking awesome...nice work everyone.

Micklauer...can't wait to see a finished version of that boxing ring :)

You are definitely missed V, I hope you come back to your wonderful drawing soon. :D
Mighty on Jade
Mightyyova on Viridian
Mightyrox everywhere else

Avvie by Lovely Esta
[Mar 23, 2011 12:39:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
micklauer

Actually started today... I don't have a 3D program, so my lighting will likely be off. For now, most things are just placeholders. But I think the overall color comp will be nice.

Still debating between a city scape bg or a wall ... obviously the wall would be make it "easier" I'm just curious if pirates "boxed" outdoors ... or indoors...

does anyone know where I can find a cropping/framing/pirate placeholder for expansive bgs?

hugs!
d(-_^) Blackhat Approved
[Mar 24, 2011 3:39:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Verziga

Mick...Capncatz kindly provided one a couple of months ago. Here's a link. It's halfway down the page.

http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=165486&offset=30

Mighty...thankyou ;) blah
Verziga of Emerald
Senior Officer and Ambassador of the crew 'Deadliest Catch'
Lord of the flag 'League of Light'
Too busy to play...too busy to draw. Stupid job :(
[Mar 24, 2011 6:26:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cgg1305

I have postponed putting the finishing touches to my previous works in order to devote myself to my favourite puzzle:
bnav! Yarrr!

version 1

version 2

Being about the bnav puzzle, I lean towards version 2.
Anyway, I believe I'll enter them both. ^_^
Pishkirlin of Emerald
[Mar 28, 2011 4:47:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ade446

Could you add a new version of version 2 with the "Right token" a lil more yellow plz? :P
Sincerely
[Mar 28, 2011 5:06:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 75   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates