• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 37
Posts: 37   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7080 times and has 36 replies Next Thread
Jackarius23

The futures bright, the futures cleaver Reply to this Post

I was so pleased to see cleaver post after such a long period away - we missed you!

Indeed, we are entering a new phase of investment in Puzzle Pirates. We are expanding the team with both old ooo hands and a new engineer. We are also about to begin a new marketing programme, which is very exciting. Hopefully you will see the benefits of this in new features and new greenies over the coming months

=D
Is this the boom we have been waiting for? Bear in mind PotC:ST is released in May, Y!PP could explode in popularity again! YAY!

What are your thoughts?
----------------------------------------
Kork, Meridian
Jackarius, Cerulean

Cleaver is going to strangle all of you.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Jackarius23 at Mar 2, 2011 4:37:19 PM]
[Mar 2, 2011 4:34:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Abandonment

Re: The futures bright, the futures cleaver Reply to this Post

The influx of Cptjaksprow/captjksprw etc can't come soon enough!
Priapus/Guantanamo
[Mar 2, 2011 4:41:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tmnagis

NEW GREENIES! YAY! The marketing part makes me the happiest.
Heavywepsguy on Viridian RIP 2012. Buy doubs or your hard work goes to dust when you go on hiatus...

Geegeenore on Emerald

Name will remain ironic until my Gunning can get somewhere higher than Proficient and Able. Nvm, I'm master
[Mar 2, 2011 4:46:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DaneT

I personally hope for Dr Who fans coming over from the Dr Who game over PotC peoples.
It has been said, my friends, that I like war. My friends, I like War. No...I LOVE WAR!

Danet - An old salt of Y!PP, but not the oldest by a long shot.
[Mar 2, 2011 5:15:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
StuManchu

It won't happen.
Was once Stuyvesant

Redistribute your wealth, or we'll redistribute your blood.
[Mar 2, 2011 8:39:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marundel

Don't forget that while PotC:FoY releases... Disney has their own PotC MMORPG online with several of the functions already incorporated that are currently being discussed in GD by us YPP players. Marketing is only part of the solution. OOO also needs to overcome name recognition, brand loyalty, and (by all accounts) game design issues that could turn a potential positive campaign into a negative really fast if handled incorrectly.
Pizzahutpete on the Cerulean Ocean
Prince, Super Awesomeness
SO, Boochin' Drunks

Pizzahutpete everywhere, thanks to the merge
[Mar 2, 2011 9:01:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thehomebrewstore.com    meadbrewer [Link]  Go to top 
bronzebeard

It'd be nice to know what some of the new stuff will be - the letters from the captain used to hint at things like that. Overall I'd like to be able to interpret that part of the letter as "we've hardly released anything in the past few years because we've had little investment" and hope they finally get around to some more meaty releases.
Peglegpaul
Now on Obsidian!
[Mar 3, 2011 8:49:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ade446

Overall I'd like to be able to interpret that part of the letter as "we've hardly released anything in the past few years because we've had little investment" and hope they finally get around to some more meaty releases.

Sincerely
[Mar 3, 2011 9:47:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cnuofesd

We need to make sure we keep the greenies i.e. make sure there are good non-SMH voyages out there.

In the past there was always WF pillages out there with decent bnavvers for a greenie to earn PoE. That isn't around any more.

Basically, make non-elite pillaging worthwhile for the decent bnavver. I occasionally run non-elites and often get a "Great pillage" afterwards, for something I would consider average. This makes me think that the standard available to new pirates will be below average.

Secondly, Y!PP is completely different to most MMO/RPG's out there and may appear confusing to new players. I found this true when I first played, and the game has got more complicated since then.

It's one thing to catch a fish, it's another to stop the line from breaking.
Capablanca on Emerald
My posts are not my own opinion.
[Mar 3, 2011 10:08:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
false_dmitri

Almost anyone who thinks they run "elite" trips can afford to take a chance on at least one beginner per sloop, even on tough routes. If you trust your team and know where you can fit a low-performing player, they can usually contribute more than enough to justify their presence. It's a bit riskier than using all-GM+, but it never hurt pay noticeably on my own pillages over the last couple years. And the player is usually blown away by the high payouts, sending them home happy. Wish more people would give it a try.
On hiatus. :(
[Mar 3, 2011 10:32:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cnuofesd

I'm talking about taking a hit routewise (Dropping to yellow, for example). As long as you have one Master/Ren+ sailor and a master gunner, your other jobbers don't matter. In a pillage you should never take damage, as opposed to SMH and Flotilla where you take into consider trades for an advantage long run.

This means your Bilgers/carpers only need to be performing a fine, enough to stop damage and water rising. With the introduction of TH and Forage expo's, it's an additional lump some of PoE for no extra battle, also adding to the viability of these voyages.

Lastly, on yellow routes you can afford a few mistakes in nav. 4-0 on a sloop is usually winnable, for example. I find you pull a KB every 1/7 battles, ish. This also means in a 90 minute pillage you can grab one. This is roughly a 3k/jobber payout, another reason for making this sort of voyage type work.

In the past, frig pillages worked non-elite due to the fact that the navver is only asking for 3 moves max, which is less draining on the sails.
Capablanca on Emerald
My posts are not my own opinion.
[Mar 3, 2011 10:58:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JennyBrie

It'd be nice to know what some of the new stuff will be - the letters from the captain used to hint at things like that. Overall I'd like to be able to interpret that part of the letter as "we've hardly released anything in the past few years because we've had little investment" and hope they finally get around to some more meaty releases.

4.5 years ago, the captain promised many lovely things by the end of 2006. The biggest promise (The Titan) never came to life. The others came spread out since them. We have had little to look forward to since. No wonder why the oceans are dying...
[Mar 3, 2011 1:17:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
false_dmitri

Agreed about lighter route pillages. I had a job anyone policy on sloops and junks set to max difficulty (provided we had a few talented players to anchor the team); usually it was a nice relaxing trip regardless of damage to us. :)

I just wish people would extend that to the difficult routes too. One learning player on a sloop isn't an automatic pillage killer if they stay aboard and the leader communicates with them. The same rule you gave applies to station performance on difficult routes. The only difficult part is balancing SF performance, because there *will* be ships that require superior fighting from most of your team.
On hiatus. :(
[Mar 3, 2011 5:05:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
abacadafa

The biggest promise (The Titan) never came to life.

That one didn't get implemented for a good reason. The idea of trashing some of the most expensive items of the game was very unpopular.
[Mar 3, 2011 9:15:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mitchell_420

"Our final big change for 2006 (or, perhaps more likely, early 2007!) will be a further addition to blockades. Bringing together Sea Monsters and Brigand King blockades, we plan to introduce the Titan, a creature of enormous size that will blockade islands. It is rumoured that the Titan, if not ardently troubled by defending forces, will rain gigantic boulders upon the hapless islanders, endangering island properties. Be warned!"

Yes, we're planning for the possibility of buildings being destroyed. This is unlikely to include bazaars or housing for obvious reasons. Details are up for debate! I expect this to be a hot topic...

[Mar 3, 2011 10:40:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kamuflaro

OOO's developers probably are still shaking their heads and facepalming silently due to Cleaver's announcement.
Crimson
Jade
Malachite
Cobalt
Midnight
Hunter
PP
Forum mute - your shot at the waves of spam (also works on threads)
[Mar 4, 2011 9:33:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

OOO's developers probably are still shaking their heads and facepalming silently due to Cleaver's announcement.

Doubtful. It was the smart thing to do. It frees up developer time to work on features that 99.9% of the players will use instead of trying to keep Crimson from breaking when they add new features. It frees up OM time to handle problems on other oceans, instead of dealing with 10 year olds and people asking why they can't find Poker on Crimson.

The complaints from players has been very mild, I've seen far worse tart-fests over hats.

I liked the concept of Crimson when it was first released, but in retrospect, it was a mistake. There were good reasons why it never made it out o Beta testing.

P.S. You forgot Poland Opal! Which, come to think of it, shows that despite players losing *EVERYTHING* when Indigo was wiped, people continued to play. They got over it, so will the Crimson folks.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by wrs1864b at Mar 5, 2011 4:20:29 AM]
[Mar 5, 2011 4:14:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
abacadafa

P.S. You forgot Poland Opal! Which, come to think of it, shows that despite players losing *EVERYTHING* when Indigo was wiped, people continued to play. They got over it, so will the Crimson folks.

Except, for the most part, they didn't.

According to glowie.com, the entire online population of Opal would fit on a single Grand Frig almost of the time these days. Heck, much of the time you could cram every last online Opal player onto a single war frigate.

Glowie can't find a single case of Opal's population going over 350ish, either.
[Mar 5, 2011 8:06:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

{...}

OK, maybe my recollection of the Indigo population isn't correct, but my understanding is that the Opal population was, at least for a fair while, larger than Indigo's was when it closed down. (e.g. the yppedia talk page on Indigo mentions only 74 players being on during late 2006.)
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Mar 5, 2011 9:37:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
abacadafa

{...}

OK, maybe my recollection of the Indigo population isn't correct, but my understanding is that the Opal population was, at least for a fair while, larger than Indigo's was when it closed down. (e.g. the yppedia talk page on Indigo mentions only 74 players being on during late 2006.)

I don't know anything about Indigo's population. The "74 players on during late 2006" bit, however, was after the announcement that Indigo was going to be destroyed. Earlier population numbers should be far more meaningful. Indigo had fifteen colonized islands, which hints towards a larger population.

Also, alas, Glowie's data doesn't seem to have anything pre-2008, but even back then, Opal's average online population was ~100 and dropping. Right now, Opal's max is only 140-160ish. That's about twice the 74 number--a very poor showing when compared to a doomed server with just over a month to live.
[Mar 5, 2011 10:25:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

OK, maybe my recollection of the Indigo population isn't correct, but my understanding is that the Opal population was, at least for a fair while, larger than Indigo's was when it closed down.

I don't know anything about Indigo's population.

OK, I poked around a little more in things like the early Opal threads. I couldn't find exact numbers, but from the comments, it is pretty clear Indigo didn't have peak numbers of 350 players like Opal used to have.

Also, alas, Glowie's data doesn't seem to have anything pre-2008, but even back then, Opal's average online population was ~100 and dropping. Right now, Opal's max is only 140-160ish.

The fact that years after the transition from Indigo to Opal, that Opal started following the general trend of ever other ocean is completely irrelevant.

The Indigo->Opal transition was a complete wipe, and yet the players got over it. So will the Crimson folks, and they got a significantly better deal.
[Mar 5, 2011 12:15:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sverdrup

False_Dimitri wrote: 
Almost anyone who thinks they run "elite" trips can afford to take a chance on at least one beginner per sloop, even on tough routes. If you trust your team and know where you can fit a low-performing player, they can usually contribute more than enough to justify their presence. It's a bit riskier than using all-GM+, but it never hurt pay noticeably on my own pillages over the last couple years. And the player is usually blown away by the high payouts, sending them home happy. Wish more people would give it a try.

Quoted for Truth.

Neither poe nor legendary bnav standings are impacted substantially by having a greenie aboard interarch sloop pillages. They may even help as they contribute nothing to "might" but if properly incorporated into teaming, they may help defeat of the stronger sword fighting one occasionally encounters.

There is fun to show one greenie at a time the piratey world (and poes) that is out there that a little skill and a positive attitude give ye access to.
Sverdrup, CPTN of Schroedinger's Cat, Heisenberg's Uncertainty, Meridian
[Mar 5, 2011 12:36:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
REJBELLS

The Indigo->Opal transition was a complete wipe, and yet the players got over it. So will the Crimson folks, and they got a significantly better deal.

If I recall correctly, the company handling the German edition failed on some important level . 000 took it back and went in house with it.

Was it a complete wipe ? Was it a 000 wipe or the other company? Were there NO incentives/perks for those players to play Opal?

Opal and Crimson situations are Not comparable.

Azure to Midnight was part of the experience of being part of the development and progression of a brand new game. Those players Were rewarded .
Do I remember right that 'animals' were also brought in the great migration?

Not comparable.

There are many stages to Death. Including Rising from the Ashes.
Belittling the people living this is unbecoming and unecessary.

As anyone knows who has experienced significant loss.. whether it be a loved one or hurricane rampage...One Never Get's Over It.
It is a part of you. You learn to go on. One step.. one moment at a time.. You learn about yourself. You make choices. You Grow .You Atrophy . Or You Die.

The Phoenix will Rise for Some of us.
That may include choosing to stay in this game.. or it may mean moving on.

Of all this, I am sure , 000 has weighed the consequences and measured the balance.
Overall, their hopes and dreams do not rest with us At The Moment.

(music notes)To Everything there is a Season and a Time Under Heaven(music notes)
Wildsrose Of:
Cerulean, Meridian & Emerald

The Titan. The Kraken.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by REJBELLS at Mar 8, 2011 9:07:05 AM]
[Mar 8, 2011 9:04:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marundel

Wow - I once wrote a social psych paper on RPGs and their relationship to personality development, and even I don't think I could have related an ocean closure to the death of a loved one or hurricane damage.
SO, Boochin' Drunks

[Mar 8, 2011 1:26:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thehomebrewstore.com    meadbrewer [Link]  Go to top 
DaneT

Wow - I once wrote a social psych paper on RPGs and their relationship to personality development, and even I don't think I could have related an ocean closure to the death of a loved one or hurricane damage.

Well, yes. Research and analysis skills used to form a conclusion usually damper the abilities that allow you to jump to one.
It has been said, my friends, that I like war. My friends, I like War. No...I LOVE WAR!

[Mar 8, 2011 3:05:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

Well, yes. Research and analysis skills used to form a conclusion usually damper the abilities that allow you to jump to one.

ur rong~!
[Mar 8, 2011 3:06:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DaneT

ur rong~!

I know. :( I just really, really wish I wasn't.

[Mar 8, 2011 3:21:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
REJBELLS

Your comment inspired me to do a lil diggin of me own.
Since your paper was on Role Playing games it is hard to discern whether it was done before the onset and establishment of MMORPGs. Or, after, as a general role playing exploration.

Most of the studies on the social/psych line are out of date that I find..so far.. being quoted.
Technology is moving so fast..even the military seem to have begun long involved studies that have gone redundant or become a stepping stone.

There is eveidnce of healthy socialization as well as unhealthy..
As there is in every aspect of life.
Descriptions of good uses, real life translatable skills and emotional attatchments.
Attatchments both intrapersonally and to game acquired items.
It is the creating ,by the individual, within the persistant environment, an existance that is an extension of one's self.

Puzzle Pirates goes beyond the usual mmorg set ups.
Real people interact with real people. One learns very quickly how easily led, or duped or harrassed or tease targeted they can be.
The environment of the game set up encourages personal challenge, puts value on certain items more than others. Rewards effort..

Imaginative play is the highest form of intellectual , emotional and cognitive developement in young children. Success and failure here are just as real as anywhere else .
Work for it!.. Balance effort, knowledge, time and the piggy bank.
figuing out how it works.. and then practising till ye get it.
Manners, fairplay, cheaters, cheating oneself, loosing tempers, give up, world cultural differences and acceptable behaviours.

Play is important to all people in all stages and situations in life.

The loss/death of all ye have worked for.. Your friends and social groups.. is just as real as any other situation in life.

And as I said above...
It's a part of you.. you learn to go on..

(music notes)To Everything there is a Season and a Time Under Heaven(music notes)
Wildsrose Of:
Cerulean, Meridian & Emerald

The Titan. The Kraken.
[Mar 8, 2011 5:16:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marundel

I wrote the paper while taking PSY206 and 207 in 1980-81. The control group for the research was a group of 23 people who played only board games, card games, and standard sports. The study group was 21 people involved in the RPGs of the day: primarily D&D, AD&D, Top Secret, Tunnels and Trolls, Traveller, Runequest, Call of Cthulhu, Paranoia, and others, as well as the rudimentary computerized versions that includedprimarily interactive text. The study lasted 24 weeks. Because the paper was written from the perspective of both Social Psych and Psych of Personality, the focus was primarily on the interaction between the players and the variations on presentation of personality traits throughout both active gameplay and "offline" interaction that was gameplay related. Without going into a long explanation of the findings (or trying to find the hardcopy to scan in online somewhere), the bottom line was that RPGs gave people an outlet for subordinate aspects of their personalities and allowed them to interact with others in a manner that was devolved from the constraints of the traditional super-ego societal restraints and constraints. I found some evidence of over-identification between player and character, and in one case (involving an individual who failed to identify previous treatment for schizophrenia in the interview) we had a player who had to leave the study and enter medical/psychological treatment; but even with that, I saw no evidence of the players going through the stages of grief at the loss of a character - even a long-term character.
SO, Boochin' Drunks

[Mar 8, 2011 8:22:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thehomebrewstore.com    meadbrewer [Link]  Go to top 
Jezzebel

I don't know you DaneT ... but I love you. Have my pirate babbies.
Redjenny, Now merged with Health Nutz
Thebloggess wrote: 
A hug is like a strangle you haven't finished yet!

[Mar 9, 2011 7:44:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 37   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates