• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 184
Posts: 184   Pages: 7   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 45619 times and has 183 replies Next Thread
Cleaver
Captain

Discussion of Crimson transition

For discussion of the Crimson sunset. See announcement post here .

Edit: there is some further information posted further down in this thread linked here.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 4 times, last edit by Apollo at Mar 3, 2011 5:46:55 AM]
[Mar 1, 2011 5:36:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Stephensam

Re: Discussion of Crimson transition

Cleaver's message mentioned that pirates who had "subscribed or spent doubloons". Does the subscribed part refer to the golden doubloon club? And as for spent doubloons, does that count doubloons that weren't purchased with real money?
Stevensam -Cobalt Native, founder and host of The PoE is Right. Creator of Lime Day.
[Mar 1, 2011 6:34:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Stevensam [Link]  Go to top 
Mombeard

I had the Golden sub, so I am interested to see what happens. I have 3 sloops, 2 MB, a piece of ancient furni, rare furni, a persimmon cat, regular furni, and poe on Crimson. I also have trinkets and minor clothing which I do not mind losing, but the other items represent a significant investment of time and RL money. Of course I can't convert my poe into dubs now. How very nice. I am furious. I do not want a "Thank you" - I want my ships and other belongings moved to my home ocean - or I want the poe and dubs to replace them. The programming is not that hard. I have it all documented, just in case OOO decides to be fair to us, but only time will tell. I spend way more time and money on PP than I should, but as of today, I will stop throwing away more money until I see how they resolve this.
[Mar 1, 2011 8:02:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
gunnermooch

For discussion of the Crimson sunset. See announcement post here .

I count ten words here. How many mistakes can you make in a ten word post to need 3 edits?! 0.o
Dalnoth wrote: He was going on an on about some Cybersex with a 13 year old accusation, however I immediately dismissed the claim based on the fact that slimbottom can't even type one whole sentence coherently let alone have cybersex.
[Mar 1, 2011 9:27:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lightmaster7

Any possibility of an Azure Memorial type of deal?

Not sure which islands it would be put on, but I think it would be nice...
Sxygrl on Sage Emerald.
SO of The BootLeggers
Current Queen of The End

[Mar 1, 2011 9:51:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mombeard

Sorry, but a monument made from my belongings on Crimson would only make me angrier. It would cost OOO nothing to transfer our items, or to at LEAST compensate us in poe/dubs for the things we bought in good faith on Crimson.
[Mar 1, 2011 10:51:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Shirato

I'm not very excited about this closure either. I enjoy playing on a small ocean by myself and I've put in a fair amount of time that I could have spent elsewhere. I do wish you'd offer to transfer our ships, at least, to a character of our choice on the same account. I'm not too peeved about the poe, because I never kept a lot of assets there, but it does seem like an unfortunate waste.

Why is the ocean closing? Is it a toll on your expenses? Or is it just because you didn't hit the market segment as well as you would have hoped?

Very excited about the new marketing plans you have and hopefully that can boost the community over the next year.
Finnigan Yppedia Profile
Finnigan on Viridian
[Mar 1, 2011 11:43:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

I'm pretty devastated at the thought of losing my cat =(

Edit: and all of the other things I have collected :( (trinkets, clothing, furni, boat, portraits etc.)

Another edit: Isn't there any way we could move (at least some of) our stuff onto another ocean?

Yet another edit (Yep, that's how upset I am about this!): Should I be worried that Viridian will close with a month's notice one day too?
~~~ Adrielle, Ezzleart and Enfyz ~~~
... (& @AmazinAdrielle on Twitter) ...
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Ezmerelda_M at Mar 2, 2011 1:29:18 AM]
[Mar 2, 2011 12:42:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Shirato

Yet another edit (Yep, that's how upset I am about this!): Should I be worried that Viridian will close with a month's notice one day too?

Not in the close future. That ocean is arguably the most active ocean and has been around for 6 years this month. I would hazard a guess to say that it will be the last ocean to be closed down.

But one day, sure, usually everything has to draw to a close and unless OOO manages to run YPP into becoming a sustainable game forever, it'll eventually end.
Finnigan Yppedia Profile
Finnigan on Viridian
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Shirato at Mar 2, 2011 3:18:28 AM]
[Mar 2, 2011 3:15:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

I know... Eventually... :( I hope it's not for a long while yet tho! My puny mortal brain just panicked a little!
~~~ Adrielle, Ezzleart and Enfyz ~~~
... (& @AmazinAdrielle on Twitter) ...
[Mar 2, 2011 3:36:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
etieti

I have over a mil, 35 ships, tons of furni, tons of clothes on crimson!

Is there any way OOO could switch all our investments to our main ocean from each pirate ??

I dont care about clothes as i got them mostly in navy ... But I care about my 1.1 mil there and my 35 ships and furniture!

I just want to see what OOO gonna respond to all our request as every1 here wants switch everything to their home ocean!

We don't want to lose what we builded up for 2 years and now it's closed because of "we dont know what!"
Emerald
Cerulean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by etieti at Mar 2, 2011 7:56:13 AM]
[Mar 2, 2011 5:23:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hrengito

Looks like they turned off everything doubloon-related- all delivery fees are 0 and badges are free. There is apparently code for free things to have a "take" button.
Hrengito on all oceans, primarily Sage. Memmed: Sage(356/356).Viridian sea(25/282).
Best solo recorded 2-stop 50L time: 60m. In opposition to aftcastles for sloops everywhere.
[Mar 2, 2011 8:19:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
etieti

Looks like they turned off everything doubloon-related- all delivery fees are 0 and badges are free. There is apparently code for free things to have a "take" button.

Yeah they turned off to not make it crazy ... and now we can't transfer poes into dubs ....

So i'M really wondering if we can get everything we have on crimson or so on our main ocean!
Emerald
Cerulean
[Mar 2, 2011 9:24:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gaea
OceanMaster

Heya, mates! Like Cleaver said, if you've got questions about your own account or Crimson pirates, please head over to the support form if you've not already done so (it looks like a couple of you already have. Thank you!)

There's no need to worry about the other oceans - Crimson, as you know, is pretty unique.
A Pirate says, "u know OMs are much nicer than i thought"
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Gaea at Mar 2, 2011 10:29:33 AM]
[Mar 2, 2011 10:25:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
abacadafa

Heya, mates! Like Cleaver said, if you've got questions about your own account or Crimson pirates, please head over to the support form if you've not already done so (it looks like a couple of you already have. Thank you!)

So if we have, say, a couple of sloops on Crimson (never did get around to memming that ocean, did I?) or other dub-type purchases, we should file out a support form?

I don't have questions other than how to get the planned sloop compensation. I'm not sure if that sort of thing will be automated.
[Mar 2, 2011 10:53:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gaea
OceanMaster

I don't have questions other than how to get the planned sloop compensation. I'm not sure if that sort of thing will be automated.

Ahoy! We haven't posted specifics on what will be done in that regard - if you could point us to where we've implied that compensation would be in the form of a sloop, so that we can edit it for clarity, that would be much appreciated. Thanks!
[Mar 2, 2011 11:26:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hrengito

I believe abacadafa meant compensation for sloops on Crimson rather than compensation of sloop(s) elsewhere.
Hrengito on all oceans, primarily Sage. Memmed: Sage(356/356).Viridian sea(25/282).
Best solo recorded 2-stop 50L time: 60m. In opposition to aftcastles for sloops everywhere.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Hrengito at Mar 2, 2011 11:37:58 AM]
[Mar 2, 2011 11:37:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gothmog1065

I don't see where they said they'd be compensating anybody for anything. All I saw was a "thank you" reward for playing.
Nemesis wrote: 
You ruined my joke, Goth.
Arakael wrote: 
Goth is right, as usual.
Blobbles wrote: 
Goth is right. *shudders*

[Mar 2, 2011 12:54:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
abacadafa

Ahoy! We haven't posted specifics on what will be done in that regard - if you could point us to where we've implied that compensation would be in the form of a sloop, so that we can edit it for clarity, that would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Like someone else pointed out, I meant compensation for purchased ships. Purchasing a ship on Crimson should qualify as "spent doubloons on Crimson," no?

So, to rephrase my question:

Should all people who have purchased items with doubloons on Crimson be filling out support forms?
[Mar 2, 2011 1:18:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gaea
OceanMaster

So, to rephrase my question:

Should all people who have purchased items with doubloons on Crimson be filling out support forms?

Thank you for clarifying! No, that's not what will need to happen. As per Cleaver's announcement:

We will be contacting players who have subscribed or spent doubloons on Crimson with a 'thank you' reward before that date.

So if, on the date, you've not heard from us, then that would be the time to contact us in regards to the thank you. Especially as we wouldn't rely on everyone contacting us since not everyone reads the forums or may log on to Crimson in time! Not to mention that that many e-mails would probably take us a very long time to plough through. *grin* We do our best, but alas, Wally West doesn't work for us.
[Mar 2, 2011 1:23:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shirato

Out of curiosity; the title of this thread is: Discussion of Crimson transition.

Transition of what? Human players to other oceans, or more tangible transitions?

Cheers.
Finnigan Yppedia Profile
Finnigan on Viridian
[Mar 2, 2011 3:17:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randompanzy

i feel bad about losing my brig it was my baby i wish i could keep it :(
Randompanzy from Viridian now sailing on Obsidian
SO of Lion's Roar
Titled Member of Placeholder
The views on my post are of my own and not my flag.

Tranquilized says, u kno yer notorious for lagging? xD

[Mar 2, 2011 3:52:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.teamepsilon.net    phillip1904    GB Fayt    I'm a little kitty that goes MOO! :D [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

i feel bad about losing my brig it was my baby i wish i could keep it :(

Well, why not just "merge" Crimson with Ice? (or vice-verse) That would be a good thing to do because:

1) Players on Crimson will only lose their stats, of anything else (All assets would be moved).
2) Would give OOO experience in merging two oceans.
3) Will boost (hopefully) Ice's population and economy.
Quitex, everywhere, mainly Ice.
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[Mar 2, 2011 7:41:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randompanzy

kids technically cant be on ice would be why. also murging oceans doesn't seem that easy.

crimison to viridian would seem easier because it is the same layout. but again i dont think they have a way to do that
Randompanzy from Viridian now sailing on Obsidian
SO of Lion's Roar
Titled Member of Placeholder
The views on my post are of my own and not my flag.

Tranquilized says, u kno yer notorious for lagging? xD

[Mar 2, 2011 8:12:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.teamepsilon.net    phillip1904    GB Fayt    I'm a little kitty that goes MOO! :D [Link]  Go to top 
Shirato

There would be a plethora of issues. Both computer-based and game-mechanics based.

Firstly, the names on Crimson may not all align with the appropriate owners on, say, Viridian. Secondly, player named vessels on Crimson might be similar to player named vessels on Viridian, and game law states that there are to be no two uniquely named vessels by player. It's a "dibs" game, so to speak.

As far as computer-based issues, I'm sure merging two servers would take copious amount of work and it frankly wouldn't be worth it considering the size of Crimson.

Crimson is its own entity and so is Viridian. Merging sounds so out of reach.

The only plus-side is that no island on Crimson is held by a player, so in case of a merge, that wouldn't be an issue.

Merge isn't possible, but some compensation doesn't sound too much to ask for. We'll just have to see what the Ringers say.

Also; How will we be contacted regarding the thank you reward? Will it pop up on the Ahoy! tab, or come in form of a petition? Just so we know what to look for so more people don't fret about their reward until they have to.
Finnigan Yppedia Profile
Finnigan on Viridian
[Mar 2, 2011 8:21:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

Firstly, the names on Crimson may not all align with the appropriate owners on, say, Viridian. Secondly, player named vessels on Crimson might be similar to player named vessels on Viridian, and game law states that there are to be no two uniquely named vessels by player. It's a "dibs" game, so to speak.

OMs can already change the pirate names. What can be done, I guess, is to "add" or "morph" the names to include a C at the beginning or a random character at the end, and the player can then send a support or a petition to ask for a new name in the other ocean if the pirates are in a different account. If I have "Quitex" in both Ice and Crimson within the same account, all my assets will be transferred to Quitex in whatever ocean is left.

Vessels are only to follow that rule if they're renamed vessels. The odds of having two renames being exactly the same in both Crimson and Ice are fairly slim, given the fact that Ice isn't that much of a rename-crazy ocean (although there are renames on Ice :P). Regular vessel names were never intended to be "unique".

As far as computer-based issues, I'm sure merging two servers would take copious amount of work and it frankly wouldn't be worth it considering the size of Crimson.

I am also aware of this, therefore I highly doubt it will happen. OOO has not given a final word in ruling our ocean merges in the future (or, have they?) and with this, they can experiment how would that be happening. At the end, if Crimson is closing, the path is already set towards it's death so if something goes wrong, the "thank you" reward would kick in. And Ice, as we all know, is subject to a wipe sooner or later.

Crimson is its own entity and so is Viridian. Merging sounds so out of reach.

But it sounds like a probable option for all of you to keep your belongings and only losing (A) stats and/or (B) crew names/flag names. Are they flags in Crimson?

Merge isn't possible, but some compensation doesn't sound too much to ask for. We'll just have to see what the Ringers say.

I understand if you have spent RL money on the Golden Globe Subscription Thingy for Crimson or any other way you can spend RL money on that ocean anyways. But if you have not, then OOO has nothing to compensate you for. They're a business and they well, cut unprofitable programs and projects. Crimson seems to not be profitable, and as a business, I would think it makes sense to compensate those people who has spent money on me, not the "freeloaders" who well, play just for free.
Quitex, everywhere, mainly Ice.
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[Mar 2, 2011 8:54:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shirato

OMs can already change the pirate names. What can be done, I guess, is to "add" or "morph" the names to include a C at the beginning or a random character at the end, and the player can then send a support or a petition to ask for a new name in the other ocean if the pirates are in a different account. If I have "Quitex" in both Ice and Crimson within the same account, all my assets will be transferred to Quitex in whatever ocean is left.

Fair enough, that's a reasonable argument. Though, like me, some might have 3 pirates on Crimson, and 3 on another ocean, which means the account would be over capacity if characters were to merge.

Vessels are only to follow that rule if they're renamed vessels. The odds of having two renames being exactly the same in both Crimson and Ice are fairly slim, given the fact that Ice isn't that much of a rename-crazy ocean (although there are renames on Ice :P). Regular vessel names were never intended to be "unique".

Sorry if I was unclear, I did mean only player-named vessels might cause a hitch. I am well aware that the standard named vessels have duplicates. I renamed one of my sloops on Crimson to the same name as a brig I used to have on Hunter - thus I know at least one vessels on Crimson would clash with another ocean.

OOO has not given a final word in ruling our ocean merges in the future (or, have they?)

Not to my knowledge.

But it sounds like a probable option for all of you to keep your belongings and only losing (A) stats and/or (B) crew names/flag names. Are they flags in Crimson?

Yes, I happen to have the "top" crew and flag. >.<

I understand if you have spent RL money on the Golden Globe Subscription Thingy for Crimson or any other way you can spend RL money on that ocean anyways. But if you have not, then OOO has nothing to compensate you for. They're a business and they well, cut unprofitable programs and projects. Crimson seems to not be profitable, and as a business, I would think it makes sense to compensate those people who has spent money on me, not the "freeloaders" who well, play just for free.

Very good that you pointed that out, it might not have been obvious to some of the players, but yes - players who did not spend money won't get the "thank you" reward. I for one only spent it on one doubloon club month, so my reward might be of less value than others. That's up to the Ringers to determine.
Finnigan Yppedia Profile
Finnigan on Viridian
[Mar 2, 2011 9:11:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

OMs can already change the pirate names.

No, developers may change pirate names, in extreme circumstances, with restricted freedom - for instance, it may not be possible to change a pirate's name if that pirate owned any stalls or houses.

OceanMasters do not mess around with name changes, they refer this stuff to the people who are chummy with the database. OMs have their own restricted interface to the game which has more permissions than ordinary humans, but less than a GOD like Cephalopod. Everybody has rules and regs they must abide by when it comes to using their powers.

Merging namespaces is inherently unfair. Which 'merge-ee' do you shaft by modifying their names? Do you modify everyone's name so everyone is shafted equally?

I think that if any extended discussion of a merge is to take place, we should be required to read and bump the old threads, where we have discussed and debated merges to death.

One question I have is about backups. Does Three Rings intend to keep copies of the Crimson database, as it was in the past, and/or as it will be at closing time? There have been cases in the TinyMUD world where someone happened to have access to database dumps, and on Brigadoon Day, say five years after a mud crashed forever, they would suddenly announce the one-day re-opening of the server. Then everyone would scramble to log in and possibly create a new character, because they forgot their passwords. Then after Brigadoon Day was over, the database would be reset and the server would be off-line until next year's Brigadoon Day. Or the database would accrue the changes it took on that particular day and gradually change over the years.

So that's the kind of question I have to Three Rings. What is the fate of decommissioned Ocean databases? Can we peek at Azure on some future Brigadoon Day? smile
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Mar 2, 2011 10:03:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Mombeard

Ice and Crimson have totally different purposes, though, and different maps. If OOO wanted to merge Crimson, I would think they would try Viri, since the map is the same. Sounds fraught with bugs, though... I think they are wise to close it and concentrate on the other oceans. I just want my belongings, or compensation for them...
[Mar 2, 2011 10:31:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Ahoy mates!

We're hoping to get more information to you soon, giving more specifics. We'll post any information here once we have it, as well as providing the information to those who have contacted us via the Support Form. We should have an update within a day or two.
[Mar 3, 2011 1:26:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 184   Pages: 7   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates