• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 39
Posts: 39   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 9303 times and has 38 replies Next Thread
Apollo
OceanMaster

Limited Edition Portrait Background - Victory edition! [WINNERS POSTED] Reply to this Post

Ahoy again, everyone! It's portrait background time again!

Theme:
This month is something a little bit different! We thought it would be nice to have some new Victory portraits for puzzle competitions. The intention of these is to have special backgrounds for the commemorative portraits that are sometimes awarded to winners of puzzle competitions. At the moment, we have one victory background for competitions. A winning background for this theme may be available for OMs to award to puzzle competition winners for a limited period, or on a permanent basis. We are only looking for single pirate backgrounds this month.

Submissions: Entrants will create original backgrounds that are consistent with the theme and style of the game. The image must look sensible with characters placed on it in any of the orientations possible for its size.

Entries must fit the appropriate scale:
1-pirate backgrounds: 348 x 650 pixels

Reworking entries: (to update an entry, please upload the latest version with the same file name as the previous version of the entry). If you want an alternative version rather than a replacement, multiple entries per artist are also acceptable. You can enter multiple times for any theme.

Only original art is accepted. You must create the images yourself.
Plagiarized entries, photographs, and other unsuitable entries may be removed from the entry page without notice.

Upload your images to the YPPedia, name the file according to the naming scheme listed there, and also post links to the thumbnails here in this thread, for comment. If you want your pirate name to appear rather than your account name should you win, please follow the image tag scheme below carefully.

Note: updated instructions for destination filename
The arrrtists have requested a change to the naming of files uploaded to YPPedia for this contest. This naming scheme is not the same as the general YPPedia file upload scheme, but I have warned the YPPedia admins, and we're hoping the name scheme is distinctive enough that it won't cause undue confusion. I believe it also means that the images will no longer be sorted by the alphabetical categories. Note that, at least for now, this is in addition to the requirements for the image tags. Here is the format they want for the filename on YPPedia:

competition_piratename_title.png

All in lower case (but YPPedia will change the first c into C - don't worry about this). So, if I want my portrait background to appear as Apollo's Triumph, I would use:

competition_apollo_triumph.png

Note: updated instructions for tags in summary field
The tag for this contest is "march11contest" so that we know which entries to consider when judging starts. The summary field for the upload, then, should be:
{{contesttag|accountname|creditname|portraittitle}}
where
"contesttag" is replaced by this month's tag shown below, "accountname" is replaced by your own forum name
"creditname" is replaced by either your forum name again, or your pirate name, whichever you want credited with the background
"portraittitle" is replaced by your suggested title for the portrait background (no spaces)

e.g. {{march11contest|Apollo|Luckysun|VictoryParade}}
or {{march11contest|Cassopia|Whitenose|Salute}}

If the name to credit the portrait with is the same as the account name, it would go in twice.
e.g. {{march11contest|Apollo|Apollo|Cheers}}

Judging: Quality of work, style, how well the background fits with the game's theme, and how well the placement of the portrait characters fit into the background are the primary determining factors.

The entries will be judged in the Three Rings offices by the artists and developers and the winner will be put into future releases as a Limited Edition portrait background. The portrait background may also be re-used for limited times later, and even (if appropriate) to be adopted as a longer-term or permanent portrait background, rather than a limited duration one. The same winning artist may be chosen more than once for different entries. Entrants may be asked by the arrrtists to make small changes to their designs after the judging.

Submitted works are eligible for winning future contests. Artists who entered backgrounds in a previous contest: if they are eligible for the current contest, please enter them again! We would love to reconsider them. Likewise, if a background does not win, it can be submitted for future contests, as long as it fits within the theme of each contest.

Prizes:
The winning entry or entries in this month will not be generally available from the portrait easels. These backgrounds will only be available when they are awarded to winners of puzzle competitions. This means that the winning entrant will not automatically get a copy of this portrait background. Each winning entrant will receive a Puzzle Pirates real-life item and a pack of playing cards in the mail, a mounted sailfish, and a clothing item of her choice in the color(s) of her choice. This item can be any clothing item that can be ordered from a tailoring shoppe (other than those clothing items that can only be ordered with a design). In the event of the same artist winning multiple prizes or multiple months, an additional clothing item can be substituted for the real-life prizes if the artist does not feel like having a household full of Puzzle Pirates Paraphernalia.

Deadline:
March 15th 2011, 11:59pm game time

Suggestions: Make it look like it came right out of the game. Get your line weights down, and compare with existing portraits to be sure. Keep your lighting consistent with the lighting on the pirate portrait art. Choose a scene that many in the game would like to use. Take your time and rework, going to others for advice and critique. A very small signature in the lower right corner is acceptable. In general avoid words - if you do use them, use them minimally, and only when they are not central to the understanding of the portrait.

Also, take note of the way some sizes get cropped.

Questions, discussion, entries and feedback can all be posted here. Good luck!
----------------------------------------
[Edit 4 times, last edit by Apollo at Mar 17, 2011 9:52:19 AM]
[Feb 16, 2011 8:56:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - Victory edition! [Deadline 15th March 2011] Reply to this Post

A quick request from the arrrrtists!
When you create and upload your images, please ensure that the sizes are correct. As given in the first post, the correct size for a single portrait is 348 x 650 pixels (not 321x600). Likewise, 2-player portraits should be 696x650 (not 642x600), for months where 2-player portraits are invited.
I don't know whether there's an upload site that defaults to a 600 pixel height, but if so, check your image properties after upload to ensure it's kept the correct dimensions.

Thanks!
[Feb 17, 2011 6:32:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
tiltedx

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - Victory edition! [Deadline 15th March 2011] Reply to this Post

here goes my entry so far

[/img]
im thinking of making the flames red , or the skull emblem blue

also , i had a version with pillars with i discarded ...but felt i should ask for thoughts on it aswell

edit : added a version with the blue emblam
tilted from the viridian
[Edit 1 times, last edit by tiltedx at Feb 17, 2011 3:15:34 PM]
[Feb 17, 2011 12:37:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

I really like both versions! =D
~~~ Adrielle, Ezzleart and Enfyz ~~~
... (& @AmazinAdrielle on Twitter) ...
[Feb 17, 2011 1:32:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Narcissag

really cute i like it! :D
Narci

"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."
[Feb 17, 2011 4:53:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ade446

I would say make the one with the pillars maybe a lil brighter? v.v
Seems so dark....
Sincerely
[Feb 17, 2011 11:58:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Squatek

@Tilted
I like your idea but maybe try to make it a little bit more colourful or just a little bit bright? Also this version with blue emblems look better in my opinion.

My first try for this month:

and here with pirate:

Any feedback will be great ^^
Kiziak on the Viridian ocean

[Feb 18, 2011 6:54:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ade446

It's gorgeous :3

Just a personal issue while looking at the big pic,
The "ring" with the skulls in it seems a bit wierd since it's smaller around the inner circle ontop and larger below... if that makes any sense.... it does look better when cut in the proper shape tho... but yeah.. /me likes :P
Sincerely
[Feb 18, 2011 9:43:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Squatek

heh i will try to make version with this 'ring' in as u said 'proper' shape maybe it will be better ^^ Tbh I like it this way. It looks like this belt which u get when u win boxing competition ( I have no idea how it is called XD).

Anyway thank you very much for comment :) I'm glad u like it :)

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Squatek at Feb 19, 2011 4:46:40 PM]
[Feb 19, 2011 4:46:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

I was wondering about the writing - coz on Opal and Jade it might need to be in German or Spanish. It's nice tho! I don't mind the uneven circle.
[Feb 19, 2011 5:37:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Squatek

Yup, u are right. However I saw text on old backgrounds which were in game: http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Image:Art_DAMAYI_Cupid'sParty.png so i think it isnt problem ^^

[Feb 20, 2011 5:14:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RedSeaWitch

Yup, u are right. However I saw text on old backgrounds which were in game: http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Image:Art_DAMAYI_Cupid'sParty.png so i think it isnt problem ^^

You could always make it "No. 1"
Windwench
Hags of the Wicked Winds, Cerulean
Collecting Hake & Hagfish
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HS on Viri:
Captain shouts, for heaven's sake, don't leave th :P
Jobber says, you don't hear that yelled too often
[Feb 20, 2011 1:21:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    kundry.rm    kundryyyy    3761215 [Link]  Go to top 
Riverrush

Heres what i got. hope you like it.

Riverrush of Viridian
Pirate in Legacy
Ultimate Weaver
[Feb 21, 2011 9:10:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Remember that you're not allowed any borrowed art - you'd need to re-draw elements that you wanted to use.
[Feb 22, 2011 1:55:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Riverrush

oh yah thanks for the reminder i totally forgot. time to learn to draw familiars
Riverrush of Viridian
Pirate in Legacy
Ultimate Weaver
[Feb 22, 2011 8:06:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Klider

i hope get help ^^ here is the mine:

Klider Rules
[Feb 22, 2011 2:33:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Narcissag

i hope get help ^^ here is the mine:

I love it K but some how i think u need more shapes and difuses lines

:)
Narci

"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."
[Feb 22, 2011 2:53:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Verziga

Nice work everyone...they're all looking good. I'm scrapping my entry for this month...and am considering giving up for good. For the 2nd time I've lost most of what I've worked for to a hacker. All the joy and fun that this game gave me has gone now. Maybe I'll feel different after a break.

Good luck to you all.
Verziga of Emerald
Senior Officer and Ambassador of the crew 'Deadliest Catch'
Lord of the flag 'League of Light'
Too busy to play...too busy to draw. Stupid job :(
[Feb 22, 2011 11:25:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

Is this a hacker in-game? Maybe Apollo could help =)
[Feb 22, 2011 11:52:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Verziga

I believe so yes. Thing is...it's not me who's been hacked. It's a friend of mine who bought me a ship for christmas with a wardrobe that she'd placed in the cabin. I stupidly put all my clothes in there thinking they would be safe seeing as the ship deed had been passed to me. Ive sent a complaint and gone through all the motions but I'm not holding much hope that anything can be done.

It just makes me SO angry that this sort of thing happens. Surely there's more important things to hack than a little pirate game. I'd just got myself back on my feet from the last time this happened and now I'm back to square one. I'm trying to contribute to the game in a positive kinda way and keep getting shot down. Doesn't make me feel good that's for sure.
Verziga of Emerald
[Feb 23, 2011 1:15:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tiltedx

i know the feeling , got hacked a while back . decided to move on and rebuild , besides , the game is still fun=]
tilted from the viridian
[Edit 1 times, last edit by tiltedx at Feb 23, 2011 6:57:15 AM]
[Feb 23, 2011 6:56:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Verziga

Well...the OM's managed to get half of it back at least. Still lost a good few hundred thousand poes worth but at least it's not a total loss.

Thankyou OM's...much appreciated :)
Verziga of Emerald
[Feb 25, 2011 1:54:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Robyand

Since we can't get a portrait with these backgrounds only if we win a competition, i want to ask if you will choose only one single background for all the competitions or more and change the background as prize on each competition?
[Feb 27, 2011 8:19:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

The number of winners chosen would depend on the quantity and quality of entries, I believe. I think multiple ones could be chosen if they are suitable.
[Feb 27, 2011 9:19:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Distructible

Here is my entry:

Any suggestion and criticize is welcome.
Masters on Emerald.
[Feb 27, 2011 1:59:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Xeitgeist

Masters, you might want to nudge the banner a bit down so the top doesn't get cut off at the top too quickly since it looks awkward at this point. It would be good to have some space between the cropping area and the top of the banner or let the banner just flow past the cropping area to the top. It looks more intentional that way. You might also want to consider texturing the red wall. Adjusting the swords so they don't look skewed would also help.

Kiziak, your piece is going well but there's a perspective error with your trophy cups. Since the pedestal it's standing on is being viewed from the top, it won't be realistic to view the cup which is on top of the pedestal from a direct frontal view. At this point, the inside of the cup would be showing. It's more consistent that way. I hope the image comparison below would help.

xeitgeist of purdywinkle oshun iz tired
i tumble around heer
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Xeitgeist at Mar 3, 2011 9:49:07 PM]
[Mar 3, 2011 9:48:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://bisdakbytes.tumblr.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Distructible

Hey, here is another version of my background, I think it looks better than the last one but suggestions are welcome as always. Xeitgeist, I have moved the banner a bit down, I hope it is better now.

Masters on Emerald.
[Mar 4, 2011 9:56:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

The alphabetical sorting on the entries page on Yppedia seems to be getting confused by the new file naming scheme - I'm not sure how to fix it...
[Mar 5, 2011 3:20:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Ok, here goes my attempt. Comments, suggestions, feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Greylady, Meridian & Emerald, Greyladyy on Cerulean

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Mar 5, 2011 9:49:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Robyand

@Masters -- I really like your background and the colors make me think of a victory. Probably you should add some more shadows on the banner, but I don't know how it'll look.
@Greylady -- I love yours too! The cup looks a bit blury to me, but it is still amaizing.

Good luck everyone!!!
[Mar 6, 2011 1:07:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 39   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates