• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 121
Posts: 121   Pages: 5   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 20353 times and has 120 replies Next Thread
Lotus_elise3

Re: MMA Thread Reply to this Post

Get the fuck out.
----------------------------------------
A Confirmed Basterd, Antix
Of Guerrilla Warfare 2018 fame

[Feb 5, 2011 9:23:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LtJamesDoom

That's why I love MMA, up til now I could say I had never seen a guy get KO'd by a front kick. lol
-Jamesdoom

For your health!
[Feb 5, 2011 9:25:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lotus_elise3

So... who is going to beat Anderson Silva? A guy who can knockout Vitor Belfort with a front kick to the face.

And that was basicaly the only thing Silva actually landed with in that round...

[Feb 5, 2011 9:35:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Smackey

So... who is going to beat Anderson Silva?
GSP after he moves up in weight, hopefully after he defeats Jake Shields.
"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal."- Friedrich Hayek
[Feb 5, 2011 9:45:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lotus_elise3

Ok so the only real challenges will be..

GSP beats Jake Shields then steps up to 185 to challenge Anderson Silva at Middleweight.

Jon Jones defeats Shogun Rua defends the title 2 or 3 times and then drops down to 185 to challenge Anderson Silva at Middleweight.

Shogun Rua defends the Light Heavyweight title against Jon Jones and then drops down to 185 to challenge Anderson Silva at Middleweight.

Jake Shields steps back up to 185 where he seemed most comfortable in Strikeforce.

Or Anderson Silva jumps up or down a weight class himself to challenge any of the above as he has cleaned out his own division?

[Edit 5 times, last edit by Lotus_elise3 at Feb 5, 2011 11:04:51 PM]
[Feb 5, 2011 10:23:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marcoromero

Was really impressed with Jon Jones.. daaamn how he handled Bader

And silva was just.. ah so awesome, i felt pumped up for atleast an hour after i saw it. Gotta love those explosive moments
http://www.belowtherimyo.blogspot.com/
[Feb 6, 2011 2:15:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lotsofgoats

I don't think anybody is going to beat Silva after changing weight classes. That in itself is difficult enough before you get your face kicked in.

D:
I am Lotsofgoats and I approve this message.
[Feb 6, 2011 2:26:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LtJamesDoom

People will be surprised to see how much bigger Silva is than GSP if they fight at 185 or some funky catch-weight.
-Jamesdoom

For your health!
[Feb 6, 2011 5:45:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Smackey

Anyone watching the Strikeforce Grand Prix tonight? I got it on for Fedor.
"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal."- Friedrich Hayek
[Feb 12, 2011 7:53:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LtJamesDoom

Yeah, just saw Sergei decapitate Andrei Arlovski
-Jamesdoom

For your health!
[Feb 12, 2011 8:23:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Smackey

Yeah, slaughtered basically. I think he's done: 4 losses in a row is quite a bit to get over.
[Feb 12, 2011 8:24:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Smackey

Wow, Fedor might actually lose.

Edit: God damnit.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Smackey at Feb 12, 2011 8:50:12 PM]
[Feb 12, 2011 8:49:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MKSparrow

Poor Fedor, his face is broken.
Is it rainning?
[Feb 12, 2011 8:53:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LtJamesDoom

It's sad because Silva was probably the worst match-up for Fedor.

I wish Fedor would try 205, he could easily cut some pudge to make weight.
-Jamesdoom

For your health!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by LtJamesDoom at Feb 12, 2011 9:03:45 PM]
[Feb 12, 2011 8:58:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Smackey

It's hard to believe Fedor is done. If someone pays him enough, he'll fight again.
[Feb 12, 2011 9:08:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lotus_elise3

Arlovski needs to retire and just go into training other fighters or something else related to the sport.. agreed with this article on him he shouldn't be medically cleared to fight again if he's going to keep getting KTFO and three of his last 4 fights have ended in that fashion.

I hope Fedor doesn't retire just yet though i think he has 1 or 2 more fights left in him before he should really consider hanging the gloves up. Silva made a pretty big statement with that win though so can expect big things everytime he fights now.

I still reallllyyyy want to see Fedor v Overeem before the end of this year but i doubt that's realistic for him on the back of 2 defeats though.

Also Kharitonov vs Silva please.

[Edit 2 times, last edit by Lotus_elise3 at Feb 16, 2011 7:56:36 AM]
[Feb 16, 2011 7:52:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lotus_elise3

Alriiiggghty then, it's that time of week again...

Next up is UFC 127

B.J Penn vs Jon Fitch
Penn (16-7-1 MMA, 12-6-1 UFC) is best known for his exploits as a lightweight fighter, he is also a former champion of the 170-pound division. At UFC 123, Penn returned to the class for the first time since a January 2009 loss to Georges St-Pierre and stunned rival Matt Hughes with a 21-second knockout that earned the Hawaiian the evening's "Knockout of the Night."

Fitch (23-3 MMA, 13-1 UFC) enters the contest on the strength of a five-fight win streak in the octagon and with 21 wins in his past 22 fights overall. Nevertheless, Fitch has dealt with much criticism for his fighting style and has admittedly often lacked fan support in his bid for the UFC welterweight title. A win over Penn would certainly change that and Dana White has gone on record as saying the winner of this fight will put them up near the #1 contender spot.

George Sotiropoulos v Dennis Siver
Sotiropoulos (14-2) comes into this fight with the added pressure of fighting in his native Australia, with a home crowd to please he will be out to make a statement with this fight. Sotiropoulos has steadily increased his level of competition over the last couple of years, moving up from opponents such as George Roop and Roman Mitichyan to UFC staples in Joe Lauzon and Joe Stevenson. The Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt will now need to dispatch of a surging Dennis Siver, who currently rides a two-fight win streak.

Siver (16-7) he's defeated a bevy of prospects while climbing up the ladder of the UFC lightweight division. His lone loss came against The Ultimate Fighter season nine winner Ross Pearson, but the minor setback isn't something Siver hasn't experienced before. Bouncing back admirably from defeat, he not only defeated veteran Spencer Fisher in a solid performance at The Ultimate Fighter 11 Finale, but followed it by submitting Andre Winner at UFC 122 in front of a home crowd in Oberhausen, Germany. Siver now has the opportunity to ascend to a status that he's never achieved in the sport. Losses to Gray Maynard and Melvin Guillard don't look as bad now that both fighters find themselves in the upper half of the division, but the loss to Pearson was one that set Siver back a few steps. He can now make up for lost ground with a victory on Saturday.

Michael Bisping vs Jorge Rivera
Bisping (21-3) goes looking for a third straight victory against the big-hitting Rivera, knowing he has to keep himself in the pecking order for a crack at middleweight champion Anderson Silva. Rivera will be champing at the bit after his UFC 122 fight with Alessio Sakara was cancelled due to Sakara suffering from flu. Bisping has posted three wins in his past four fights, including victories over Dan Miller and Yoshihiro Akiyama.

Rivera (18-7) The UFC vet has amped up the interest in the fight by releasing a number of Youtube Videos poking fun at the UK fighter. Rivera has posted three wins in his past four fights, including victories over Rob Kimmons in 2009 and Nate Quarry. However he hasn't fought for almost a year and Rivera is aiming to impress in this fight as it could be his last run in the UFC and at 38 years old it will be a huge test.

Other fights on the UFC 127 Card
Welterweight bout: Chris Lytle vs. Brian Ebersole
Middleweight bout: Kyle Noke vs. Chris Camozzi
Lightweight bout: Ross Pearson vs. Spencer Fisher
Light Heavyweight bout: James Te-Huna vs. Alexander Gustafsson
Middleweight bout: Nick Ring vs. Riki Fukuda

I post my picks tomorrow night, what's everyone elses opinion/choices?

[Feb 25, 2011 7:30:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Smackey

I don't like Penn at 170 lb; he's much better at 155 lb. But I still think he's good enough at that weight to take out Fitch. Fitch is a wrestler, and he normally fights for points. Yet I think BJ's striking and guard are too good for Fitch, and Fitch won't be able to outscore him. It also doesn't seem as if Fitch really has any stopping power, which puts Penn at more of an advantage. I'll be very surprised if Fitch wins, but I hope he wins. BJ Penn needs to get better work ethic. He'll either get fired, or he'll learn that he can't rely on raw talent anymore.

I don't know Dennis Silver much at all. I know George, and I think he has a lot of potential. It seems as if he can win this, he'll get a shot against someone more well known and soon leading into fighting stars then the title. I hope he sports the pink hair this fight.

Bisping is trash. I know he's the only good UK fighter, but he's still trash. This loss will confirm it.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Smackey at Feb 25, 2011 5:09:14 PM]
[Feb 25, 2011 5:06:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LtJamesDoom

Yawn Fitch. I typically get up and make a sandwich or go outside and fly a kite when he fights.
-Jamesdoom

For your health!
[Feb 25, 2011 7:33:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lotus_elise3

This highly under promoted Sanchez v Kampmann fight card is turning out to be more worth watching than the Penn v Fitch card so far.

[Mar 3, 2011 6:45:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Smackey

HEY, ANTIX, THANKS FOR SLACKING OFF!

Gonna get my picks in before the fights tonight on UFC 128. This is a really good card..

Brendan Schaub vs. Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic
I want Cro Cop to win. But I also think he has the advantage in this too. Schaub has a lot of potential, but CroCop's striking is much superior to his. I don't think he'll get Cro Cop on the ground, and he's going to be losing when the fight's on feet. If Cro Cop loses, though, I'd say he'd have one more potentially good fight to see if he's all done. Pick: CroCop

Nate Marquardt vs. Dan Miller
Don't know Dan Miller much at all, and I like Marquardt. On pure likeness and zero analysis, my money's on Marquardt.

Jim Miller vs. Kamal Shalorus
Tsk, similar situation. I like Jim Miller, and don't know the other dude at all. I have heard Kamal is great, though. Still, I'll run with Jim Miller.

Urijah Faber vs. Eddie Wineland

Faber. His disturbingly good looks and team name will carry him to victory. Everyone knows that unless you're big nog where your ugliness serves as severe intimidation, sexiness is the most important attribute. Gonna vote Faber on this. :P

Maurício "Shogun" Rua vs. Jon Jones
Wow, I expect this fight to be so damn good. I'll be surprised if this goes to decision. There's so many variables here. Shogun has Jones in striking, but Jon Jones has him in wrestling, yet Shogun's guard is great. He might not get a submission off, but I don't see him getting punched out either. Jon Jones' reach advantage is just ridiculous; it really is just not fair to be 6'4 with an 85 inch reach, Jesus Christ. However, when it all comes down to it, Jon Jones is just a kid, and he's facing Shogun, his first real elite opponent. Also, I think only having a 1 and a half month break from his last fight is just not enough for a fight like this. I mean, the fight's a win/win for him because he WILL get another title shot eventually if he loses, and he could use the experience. Still, as much as I want him to win, I don't think he will. My pick's Shogun.

Anyone else planning to watch it?
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Smackey at Mar 19, 2011 5:07:01 PM]
[Mar 19, 2011 5:06:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LtJamesDoom

Cro-Cop and Big Nog should fight, then both retire.

Bones looked awesome, Shogun looked horrible. Still love him, but I can't help but think his ACL issues are too much. Kinda wondering who Bones' first defense will be against.

Also...Dan Miller is a freakin beast.
-Jamesdoom

For your health!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by LtJamesDoom at Mar 20, 2011 4:28:58 PM]
[Mar 20, 2011 4:27:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LtJamesDoom

Ah, apparently Jones first defense will be against Rashad Evans lol.
-Jamesdoom

For your health!
[Mar 20, 2011 4:39:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
outcast4life

Jones is the real deal, he completely handled Shogun. I can't wait for his first title defense.

Shogun, of all the contenders, has to have the worst take down defense that I've seen.
"Shwayze" on Emerald

King of Unwanted Attention
[Mar 20, 2011 7:10:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LtJamesDoom

Yeah, his takedown defense has always been horrible. A lot of the Brazilian muay thai guys have a tough time against good wrestlers (GSP vs. Alves, Anderson Silva vs. Sonnen, etc)
-Jamesdoom

For your health!
[Mar 20, 2011 7:20:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Smackey

Ah, apparently Jones first defense will be against Rashad Evans lol.
Yeah, I consider Rashad the underdog in that. But this is great that Bones is champ. He's gonna be getting so many tough opponents, and he's just gonna grow. I'd like to see Jones against Machida if he can win a match. Machida better not lose against Couture, or he's gonna get Strikeforce'd.

A lot of the Brazilian muay thai guys have a tough time against good wrestlers (GSP vs. Alves, Anderson Silva vs. Sonnen, etc)
It really is a major hole in their game, especially in the UFC. If you're gonna fight here, you really need to train for that. Pretty much everyone in the UFC who's American has a background in wrestling. It puts these guys in a spot where unless they end the fight, they don't win.

Edit: Speaking about Sonnen, I'm hoping he doesn't go to Jail. All it'd take is three wins, and he'd get another shot at Silva.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Smackey at Mar 20, 2011 8:03:54 PM]
[Mar 20, 2011 7:47:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lotus_elise3

My bad dude, cheers for doing it though.

Cro-Cop and Big Nog should fight, then both retire.

Bones looked awesome, Shogun looked horrible. Still love him, but I can't help but think his ACL issues are too much. Kinda wondering who Bones' first defense will be against.

Also...Dan Miller is a freakin beast.

Dan Miller lost to Marquardt? Unless you meant his brother Jim Miller(one with the beard) who is badass. His last few fights ive seen Jim has looked really impressive...he reminds me of Chris Leben in his striking but with a better defence. Always been a Leben fan so i'll be looking forward to Millers fights as well now.

Jon Jones.. Fantastic performance but like James said Shogun really didnt look himself and maybe the injury has taken something out of him.. Take nothing away from Jones however who dominated and impressed in the fight and finished it too. I think his size, speed and reach advantage will be too much for Rashad but then this is MMA and anything can happen.

I think Cro Cop has been released from the UFC he'll probably get a contract elsewhere pretty easily if he doesn't hang the gloves up. Not sure what to make of Brendan Schaub, good hands but he got messed up by Cro Cop(i mean if you compare faces after the fight) but he ground it out and got an awesome knockout in the end.. Heavyweight division is pretty stacked already i guess wins over Cro Cop and Gonzaga always looks good on your record albeit washed up versions. I'd like to see Schaub v Mitrione next.. A great fight on paper and will be the first real test for both. I would pick Meathead if the fight actually gets made.

[Mar 22, 2011 4:22:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LtJamesDoom

oops, meant Jim, though Dan is no slouch either. Working 10 days in a row has melted my brain.

Starting to think that Chucky cursed the LHW championship.
-Jamesdoom

For your health!
[Mar 22, 2011 4:29:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lotus_elise3

UFC Fight Night tonight if anyones watching it ill try and do a write up on this one when i get back from work.

Just going to mention Dan Hardy is pretty much as good sd released from his contract.. He fights Anthony Johnson tonight and if Hardy loses it will be his 3rd straight loss. Bad times and i cant see him getting a win over Johnson.

[Mar 26, 2011 4:49:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LtJamesDoom

Bad match up for Hardy. He may get wrestle-f'ed for 15 minutes.
-Jamesdoom

For your health!
[Mar 26, 2011 7:29:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 121   Pages: 5   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates