• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 25
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 10745 times and has 24 replies Next Thread
Cronus
OceanMaster

Create Seasonal Spring Trinkets for the game! [Winners posted] Reply to this Post

Winners!
The aim of this event is to introduce player-created seasonal trinkets that will be available for sale at the Palace Shoppe for a limited period. We aim to run this event approximately once every 3 months.

The deadline is 11:59:59pm game time on Tuesday 22nd February 2011.
Entry thread

Trinket Size
The final trinket size must be 36 pixels wide by 39 pixels high .
Do not provide any image of your design larger than this.
You will need to host your image on an external site so that you can post the image.

Background
The background should be transparent (or plain white if you do not know how to produce a transparent background). Adrielle described a transparency method here. The trinkets use indexed colors and therefore cannot have any semi-transparent elements. The arrrtists can touch things up if they have to, but providing an image ready to go into the game will increase your odds of getting selected.

Content
The trinket may represent anything seasonal related to Spring, or to any popular holiday or event that takes place during the period from mid-March to mid-June . So, you could choose a generic Spring theme - spring weather, vacations, spring and outdoor activities. Or you could go for a particular holiday or date. Please avoid duplicating a trinket that already exists in the game.

If you do choose a National or religious event to commemorate, try to avoid overt national or religious symbology (picking a random example, if you're representing Wales, a daffodil is more likely to be used than a Welsh flag). Whatever the theme you choose, the content of must be appropriate to the game. Further clarification on this: the most important thing is that your trinket has a strong design and is visually appealing. In terms of picking a theme or holiday, it can be any seasonal occurrence or holiday that happens within the allotted time frame, particularly one that has a secular celebration or observance associated with it that can be represented with recognizable symbology of a non-religious or not-necessarily-religious nature. (e.g. anything from purely natural/seasonal themes to the secular celebration of Mardi Gras).

You can view the winning Spring trinkets from last year here and the previous winning winter trinkets here.

Originality
Designs should be your own, and created specifically for this event. One exception to this rule is that you may base your entry on YOUR OWN entry from a previous contest!

Colors
You can design your trinket to come in a single color variation, or in a range of colors, as many of the trinkets do. If you wish to have the trinket available in multiple colors, please provide two versions of it, in different colors, so it is clear which elements of the trinket change with the color choice.

If you're using the cloth-color selection, it's helpful to have one of your variants have RED as the changeable color area. If this isn't possible because of the colors elsewhere in your design, try GREEN or GOLD.

If you're using the bone-color selection, it's helpful to have one of your variants have RED as the changeable color area.

Style
You will want to design the trinket so that the artwork is compatible in style to the trinkets already in the game. Take a look at the YPPedia trinket page for an overview of the trinkets already available.
It should be obvious, but no animation!

Availability
The intention for these trinkets is that the winning entries will be available for purchase in the Palace Shoppe. They will be inscribable. It is just possible that the arrrtists will choose to use the trinket in a different way - for example, being used as an event prize. The final decision will be made by the arrrtists.

Prizes
A couple of your own trinkets when they become available and a pirate flag (furniture item)! In addition, if you haven't already been awarded it, you will get the Dread Masterpiece trophy when your trinket becomes available in the game.

Judging
There will be a single stage of judging, undertaken primarily by the arrrtists. They will identify the short list of trinkets that they would like to develop for inclusion in the game. They may wish to edit or adapt the trinket design to 'tweak' the design or to make it fit better with other in-game art. They may ask the player artist to make changes, or they may make changes themselves. The final decision on which trinkets are introduced to the game, and on the final design used, rests with these Ringers. Note that trinkets will only be introduced to the game if there are designs considered suitable. Trinkets chosen in this contest may be made available in-game on different dates and for different durations.

Number of entries
Each player may make just ONE entry post, and this post may include up to TWO designs.

How to enter, and deadline
Post your entry in the Entry Thread. Please include the following information at the top of your post:
* Pirate name:
* Ocean:
* Trinket name: (this is your name, but final name for the trinket will be an arrrtist decision)
* Theme / date: (explain what your trinket represents - the season generally, a particular holiday or event (give dates) etc)

If you have two trinket designs in your entry, remember to put in the entry information for both trinkets!

Include your design as an image in the post (see link in next post) - not as a link. If you intend the trinket to be available in multiple colors, include two versions of the trinket in different colors so that it is clear which pieces of the design change with each color choice.

The deadline is 11:59:59pm game time on Tuesday 22nd February 2011.

Additional information

Links:
Entry thread (again!)
Trinket page
Adrielle's mini-guide to setting transparency
Standard color options
How to post an image on the forum
Reminder on how to reply to a post
Tips and tricks for entering events

(The next event will be the Summer theme posted around May, and covering trinkets relevant for those hot summer months).

Good luck, and have fun!

Para leer este concurso en español, da clic aquí .
----------------------------------------
Current avatar by Podgekins
Tinfoil, popsicle sticks, and paste make for a nice shiny new hat!
[Edit 6 times, last edit by Cronus at Mar 4, 2011 9:58:47 PM]
[Feb 1, 2011 4:48:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Agomic

Re: Create Seasonal Spring Trinkets for the game! (deadline Feb 22nd) Reply to this Post

sorry? you named the entry thread: "summer trinket" :)
Agomicc on Meridian

[Feb 1, 2011 11:12:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    nh_agomic_disorder12 [Link]  Go to top 
Cronus
OceanMaster

Re: Create Seasonal Spring Trinkets for the game! (deadline Feb 22nd) Reply to this Post

sorry? you named the entry thread: "summer trinket" :)

Fixed! :)
[Feb 1, 2011 11:32:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scenepainter

Colors
You can design your trinket to come in a single color variation, or in a range of colors, as many of the trinkets do. If you wish to have the trinket available in multiple colors, please provide two versions of it, in different colors, so it is clear which elements of the trinket change with the color choice.

If you're using the cloth-color selection, it's helpful to have one of your variants have RED as the changeable color area. If this isn't possible because of the colors elsewhere in your design, try GREEN or GOLD.

If you're using the bone-color selection, it's helpful to have one of your variants have RED as the changeable color area.

Shameless plug
If you want to do a colorizable trinket, but are not sure if a certain color palette is suitable or if you have picked the right "origin" color, you can use ScenePainter to check your artwork. Simply download and unzip the application, start it. Copy your trinket (as a PNG file) into C:\users\YOUR_USERNAME\ScenePainter\data\images (you can find the exact path of your ScenePainter home via the Help|Show logs menu). Then go to the "View|Element editors" menu and open the "Images" and the "Colorizer" editor. Create a new scene via "File|new" and select it. You should now be able to drop your trinket image into the scene and colorize to your hearts desire (if you don't see your trinket in the image editor, you might have to hit the reload button).

Oh, and here's an extract from the games colordefinition table to make your life easier:

name="hair" source="#922226" range="0.05,0.8,1"
name="skin" source="#C550D7" range="0.08,0.4,1"
name="textile_p" source="#922226" range="0.07,0.7,1"
name="textile_s" source="#57AC6A" range="0.1,0.6,1"
name="vessel" source="#5AACDE" range="0.0,0.0,0.0">
name="bones" source="#C550D7" range="0.05,0.8,0.6"
name="sheep_wool" source="#C550D7" range="0.1,0.6,0.6"
name="sheep_skin" source="#57AC6A" range="0.1,0.6,0.6"
name="hull_p" source="#8A1A76" range="0.1,0.3,0.6"
name="hull_s" source="#2A864E" range="0.1,0.3,0.6"
name="octopus" source="#922226" range="0.05,0.8,0.6"
name="structure_p" source="#8A3A62" range="0.1,0.5,0.6"
name="structure_s" source="#4ECE52" range="0.1,0.3,0.6"
name="exterior_p" source="#633554" range="0.08,0.8,1"
name="exterior_s" source="#E73030" range="0.05,0.8,1"
name="monkey" source="#f82129" range="0.05,0.8,0.6"
name="mineral" source="#FE3B39" range="0.05,0.8,0.6">
name="sword_s" source="#228627" range="0.1,0.6,0.6">
name="sword_p" source="#D8AC2F" range="0.05,0.6,0.6">
name="ruin_p" source="#D39600" range="0.02,0.9,0.9">
name="ruin_s" source="#71E86A" range="0.05,0.9,0.9">
name="map_p" source="#EC3737" range="0.05,0.8,0.6">
name="map_s" source="#20B43D" range="0.05,0.8,0.6">
name="cyclops_fur" source="#E53B3A" range="0.08,0.8,0.9">
name="cyclops_skin" source="#FE76FE" range="0.08,0.8,0.9">
name="genie_skin" source="#C550D7" range="0.08,0.4,0.6">
name="hydra_scales" source="#14AD14" range="0.05,0.8,0.6">
name="hydra_belly" source="#9FBA40" range="0.04,0.8,0.6">
name="harpy_feathers" source="#D72F2E" range="0.1,0.8,0.6">
name="flag_p" source="#922226" range="0.07,0.7,0.6">
name="flag_s" source="#57AC6A" range="0.07,0.7,0.6">
name="flag_t" source="#DC57EC" range="0.07,0.7,0.6">
name="flag_icon" source="#CAC264" range="0.05,0.8,0.6">
name="textile_p_f" source="#922226" range="0.07,0.7,0.6">
name="textile_s_f" source="#57AC6A" range="0.1,0.6,0.6">
name="statue_metal" source="#AAEE62" range="0.08,0.8,0.6">
name="zombie_skin" source="#C550D7" range="0.08,0.4,0.6">
name="zombie_hair" source="#922226" range="0.05,0.8,0.6"
name="wolf_fur" source="#14AD14" range="0.05,0.8,0.6"
name="wolf_face" source="#CDBA77" range="0.08,0.8,0.6"
name="bigcat_body" source="#FFFF01" range="0.05,1,1"
name="bigcat_stripe" source="#0EFF0F" range="0.05,1,1"
name="cat_fur" source="#14AD14" range="0.05,0.8,0.6"
name="cat_face" source="#CDBA77" range="0.06,0.8,0.6"
name="elephant_skin" source="#BA83C0" range="0.1,0.8,0.6"
name="apothecary" source="#922226" range="0.07,0.7,1">
name="potions" source="#733A7E" range="0.07,0.8,0.6"
name="mug" source="#922226" range="0.07,0.7,1">
name="glove_p" source="#922226" range="0.07,0.7,1">
name="glove_s" source="#228627" range="0.1,0.6,0.6">
name="king_prize_p" source="#03FD3B" range="0.1,1,1"
name="fight_club_wrap" source="#922226" range="0.07,0.7,1"
name="zombie_skin_comp" source="#C550D7" range="0.08,0.4,0.6">
name="zombie_hair_comp" source="#922226"
name="seas" source ="#0000FF"range="0.2,0.90,
name="medal" source="#FFD200" range="0.05,0.8,0.6">
name="monster_deck" source="#FF0000" range="0.05,0.4,0.6">
name="monster_outline" source="#00FF00" range="0.05,0.8,0.6">
name="atlantean_skin" source="#C550D7" range="0.08,0.4,1"
name="crab_shell" source="#922226" range="0.07,0.7,1"
name="crab_metal" source="#FCFC8C" range="0.1,0.95,0.95">
name="bones_item" source="#922226" range="0.05,0.8,0.6"
name="rigging_p" source="#922226" range="0.07,0.7,1.0">
name="rigging_s" source="#57AC6A" range="0.1,0.6,1.0">
name="vampire_skin" source="#C550D7" range="0.08,0.4,1"
name="hull_t" source="#922226" range="0.04,0.543,1"
name="rope" source="#E7CF8D" range="0.08,0.26,0.4"
name="pony_body" source="#CDBA77" range="0.08,0.8,0.6"
name="pony_mane" source="#14AD14" range="0.05,0.8,0.6"
name="pig_skin" source="#C550D7" range="0.08,0.4,1"

Name is the name of the colorpalette. Source is the source color of the palette (the base color, you'll be translating from) in RGB color space. Range determines the shades of the of the source color in HSV color space, that will also be translated. You don't need to understand any of this, just use the source color and close by shades ;).
Download ScenePainter
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Scenepainter at Feb 2, 2011 7:23:52 AM]
[Feb 2, 2011 7:21:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

Originality
Designs should be your own, and created specifically for this event. One exception to this rule is that you may base your entry on YOUR OWN entry from a previous contest!
Can we simply resubmit our entries from last year's spring trinkets or must they be changed? (I'll probably do some tweaking anyhow but I really liked how they already were.)

Also, for the sake of having the item game ready, I'd like to learn about color indexing, I am not sure what it is or what program I can use to do it, but I am assuming it allows for easy color changes without affecting the shading. I drew mine in Flash (I have the complete Adobe CS3 - actually came with my computer, but I have never used anything but Flash) and did some extra adjusting using the Gimp. I don't mind getting a tutorial book from the library and learning but I would appreciate knowing at least which program I should try.
Pletoo of Sage
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Patetch at Feb 3, 2011 10:48:42 AM]
[Feb 3, 2011 10:17:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scenepainter

Also, for the sake of having the item game ready, I'd like to learn about color indexing, I am not sure what it is or what program I can use to do it, but I am assuming it allows for easy color changes without affecting the shading. I drew mine in Flash (I have the complete Adobe CS3 - actually came with my computer, but I have never used anything but Flash) and did some extra adjusting using the Gimp. I don't mind getting a tutorial book from the library and learning but I would appreciate knowing at least which program I should try.

Not sure if this question is geared towards me, but I'll try to explain it anyways:

In the computer world, we typically use the RGB model to describe a color by the amount of red, green, and blue it contains. When you want to save an image to a file, you have to somehow write the color value of each pixel to disk. You can do this by using one byte for each of the base colors (red, green and blue), but then you'll end up using 3 bytes (4 if you also put in transparency) for each pixel. The alternative to that is creating a list of all the colors you are using in your image and only store table indexes for the pixel ("the pixel at position 5:5 uses color 23 in the list, which has the RGB value of #10AA11"). If you choose to limit yourself to at most 256 different colors in the image, you'll only need one byte per pixel and you cut down the total filesize of your PNG by about 2/3.

As far as Gimp is concerned: Image|Mode -> set to "Indexed" instead of RGB. Thats all.

You can easily test your results with ScenePainter. It uses the same code as the YPP client for recoloring, so if it looks good in SP, it'll look good in the game.

Hope that helps.
Download ScenePainter
[Feb 3, 2011 11:29:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

It does help a bit, thanks. I still have lots to learn but maybe I'll eventually come up with something game worthy. :)
Pletoo of Sage
[Feb 3, 2011 11:38:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cronus
OceanMaster

Can we simply resubmit our entries from last year's spring trinkets or must they be changed? (I'll probably do some tweaking anyhow but I really liked how they already were.)

As long as they were your entry, you're welcome to submit them again if they didn't win last time around.
[Feb 3, 2011 2:36:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Xtrauma

I noticed somebody had an issue with putting their image in the post in the entry thread... so i hope she gets to read this cause i couldnt put it there D:
Anyway, make sure you use the puzzle pirates forums way, so click the "image" button, and put the direct link there.
The code you do have now is right, but the uploader you copied it from is capital IMG whereas these forums uses lowercase img.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Hmm, im not sure whether its acceptable to put this here or whether it should be a pm to an om... however, i was just interested in what love spoons were so i had a look on google, and i found a ... very similar.... "Love Spoon" as Babyjayes is..
Click here (The ivory love spoon)

I do apologise if there is an explanation or something but, it just seems a little too similar, especially zoomed in:

(Oops, by zoomed in i meant resized, my bad)
Xtrauma - Viridian

Avatar made by the lovely Cattrin
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Xtrauma at Feb 4, 2011 8:05:01 AM]
[Feb 4, 2011 7:52:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

(Hey I thought that looked familiar. Guess everyone knows I still play that site now)

Hmm.
Cattrin of Cerulean
Avatar by Apollo (we miss you :c), Blakbead, Angelira, Coriander, and Accelerator!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Feb 4, 2011 2:05:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

Pletoo of Sage
Resubmitting my Easter entries from last year (may edit tweaks in later.)
Cloth colors for both:

Bunny Box:

Egg Basket:

^ I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE these!!! =D =D =D
~~~ Adrielle, Ezzleart and Enfyz ~~~
... (& @AmazinAdrielle on Twitter) ...
[Feb 15, 2011 10:37:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

Pletoo of Sage
Resubmitting my Easter entries from last year (may edit tweaks in later.)
Cloth colors for both:

Bunny Box:

Egg Basket:

^ I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE these!!! =D =D =D

Thanks - I am kind of partial to them myself - hopefully I will find the time to make the tweaks that probably need to be made to make them more "game ready."
Pletoo of Sage
[Feb 17, 2011 12:06:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cronus
OceanMaster

Update: The entries are in the hands of the judges. I've given them all some cookies to munch on while they tackle the task.
[Feb 24, 2011 8:55:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cronus
OceanMaster

Below are your winners. Congratulations to you all, you did a fantastic job! You'll find these trinkets in a palace shop near you soon:

Dexla's Daffodil
Dexla's Marshmallow Chick
Xtrauma's Hot Cross Bun
Cattrin's Umbrella
Pletoo's Egg Basket
Robroy's Flower in a Coconut Shell
Adrielle's Lucky Charm
Rhodin's Pancakes
Kiziak's Mr. Bunny Toy
Herowena's Squirting Flower

When these little guys pop up in the shop, I'm going to hand out the prizes. That way I'm handing them all out in one happy bunch of shiny goodness.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Cronus at Mar 4, 2011 9:57:44 PM]
[Mar 4, 2011 9:57:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joandart

Wonderful! Thank you so much, not only for including me, but for picking a lot of my favorites!
Herowena of Cerulean
Still Sleeping With The Fishes

[Mar 4, 2011 10:16:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

Thanx so much! Congrats pplz!!!
~~~ Adrielle, Ezzleart and Enfyz ~~~
... (& @AmazinAdrielle on Twitter) ...
[Mar 5, 2011 2:01:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Ooh, yay! c: Thanks!
Cattrin of Cerulean
Avatar by Apollo (we miss you :c), Blakbead, Angelira, Coriander, and Accelerator!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Mar 5, 2011 2:20:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Xtrauma

Yay thanks:)
Congrats all.
Xtrauma - Viridian

Avatar made by the lovely Cattrin
[Mar 5, 2011 2:36:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

Congratulations everyone and thanks! Time to make some poe so I can get them all!
Dexla d'Midnight
[Mar 5, 2011 6:01:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Squatek

Omg thanks!!! :D <3 Congrats to all winners :)
Kiziak on the Viridian ocean

[Mar 5, 2011 6:53:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Great group of trinkets! Congratz to all the winners!
Greylady, Meridian & Emerald, Greyladyy on Cerulean

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Mar 5, 2011 8:42:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Robroy2

I don't believe it! YAARRRR!
Thanks a lot. Cant wait to see it inGame.
[Mar 5, 2011 9:58:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

Wow! Yay! I finally won one - thanks so much :) and congrats to the others.
Pletoo of Sage
[Mar 5, 2011 12:21:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

The trinkets are out in the Palace Shoppe now - I'll be delivering prizes tomorrow.
[Apr 12, 2011 9:17:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
joandart

Hurrah! Thanks. :)
Herowena of Cerulean
Still Sleeping With The Fishes

[Apr 12, 2011 1:30:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates