• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 152
Posts: 152   Pages: 6   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 31035 times and has 151 replies Next Thread
tilinka

Octoscarf Knit*-Along! Win an Octopus. [Winners announced!] Reply to this Post

(*You can crochet too!)

Winners announced! Click here!
-------------------------
Deadline: 11:59:59 PST (game time), March 15th, 2011.
The Entry Thread
En Español
-------------------------

So, since it's cold and winter-y here, I just finished the super-awesome-cardigan-of-green!, and I have lots and lots (and lots!) of yarn, I've decided I want to knit a scarf. And because it's ever so much fun, I've decided to challenge you all to knit or crochet a scarf too!
But not just any scarf.
A *cue fanfare* OCTOSCARF.

What is an octoscarf?
An octoscarf is a scarf inspired by the Majestic Octopus (watch around the 2 minute mark). It could be knit with a picture of an octopus. It could have a pattern that reminds you of those cool suction-cups. It could involve elaborate mathematical patterns based on the number 8. It could be made from yarn that reminds you of an octopus. It could..., well, you get the idea.

What is a Knit-along?
A knit-along is an event were a bunch of people get together to knit to a common end. Sometimes for charities, sometimes just to all be working on the same project - or type of project. They're a spiffy way to meet other fiber-crafty people, find inspiration for projects, and be challenged to do more.

Rules:
  • One entry per player
  • Entries must be knit or crochet. You may use items such as buttons, beads, and eyes as they are normally used with these crafts.
  • Entry must be recognizably a scarf - and usable as one! It can be sized for either an adult or a child.
  • Entry must be your own work.
  • Entries must be posted to the Entry Thread.
  • Entry post format (entries must include all this information):

-Your Pirate Name and Ocean for prize delivery

-Pattern information (link if it's available online, tell us where you found it otherwise.) If you improvised based on an existing pattern or made up your own, tell us that!

-Links to three pictures that include a piece of paper with your pirate name and ocean:

• Casting on: The project just after it's started
  • In Progress: The project approximately halfway done
  • Finished: The finished project. (You may include this as an image in your post so long as it is no larger than 600 px x 600 px)

Additionally, if possible include an "action" shot of your scarf being modeled by a willing victim, long-suffering pet, or beloved stuffed hippopotamus.

-Prize preference order and color clarification (if needed.)

If it is unclear, you will also want to explain just how your scarf was inspired by the Majestic Octopus.

Prize Packs:
  • Octoscarf: An octopus familiar based on the color of your scarf (standard options).
  • Tools of the Trade: Spinning wheel, dyer, upholstered chair, and "Clotho" rumble dummy action figure. Dyer and chair colors based on the color of your scarf. (Oooh, and a Clotho egg!)
  • The Herd: Two sheep, one dog, and a "Shepherdess" or "Sheepherder" swordfighting dummy (depending on ocean). Colors loosely determined by the color of your scarf.
Please indicate your prize preference order and the color of your scarf if it is unclear. If you list a non-standard color such as black or sea-green, we will choose the nearest appropriate color. Or flip a coin to choose between lime and magenta.

Additionally each winner will receive an appropriately (1st/2nd/3rd) inscribed ribbon trinket.

Participants' Choice: Each player who participates in the Knit-Along will have one week after it is finished to submit a vote for their favorite entry. The overall favorite entry (up to a two-way tie) will receive an inscribed ribbon trinket based on their scarf colors: "Participants' Choice: Octoscarf Knit-Along."
Participants' Choice voting should be posted in thisthread at the close of the event using the following format:
Vote: Pirate-name. Yes, you can vote for your own entry. No, you can't be anonymous.

Clarifications and Help:
-Images can be hosted at Image Shack, Picasaweb, Photobucket, or something of the like.
-Participants are encouraged to ask questions and for help in this (the event) thread.
-Participants are encouraged to help each other out with any questions or problems they run into along the way.
-How to Post an Image
-Knitty.com and Ravelry.com are excellent on-line sources for patterns. (Feel free to post if you know of others!)
-Myself, Ynahteb, and Marisu will be monitoring this thread regularly and will try to respond promptly to any questions.
-Judging will be based on the creativity of the project and the quality of execution. We will do our best to finish judging in a timely fashion.
-Apollo will be working his magic to get prizes delivered where they should be.
-Prizes will be available on all oceans except Crimson and Ice.
-Tritón has provided a Spanish translation of this thread for our friends on Jade.
-You don't need to post the exact details of an improvised pattern (though you are welcome to do so). A brief description of your concept and how you went about achieving it will be fine.
-Cowls and shawlettes (and unusual scarves) are acceptable. We're not going to worry about whether or not the finished project fits a strict definition of "scarf". It just needs to wrap around the neck and be more-or-less flat.
----------------------------------------
Tilinka, Emerald
Perilous Puppet
Artsy Stuff
[Edit 16 times, last edit by Thalia at Apr 9, 2011 9:09:08 PM]
[Feb 1, 2011 11:18:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.perilouspuppets.com    Tilinka    3569427 [Link]  Go to top 
Ynahteb

Re: Octoscarf Knit*-Along! Win an Octopus. [Ends March 15th] Reply to this Post

Squee!
Squee!
[Feb 1, 2011 11:19:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
uppy_pay

I better learn to knit!
Kattles, where it counts. (Cerulean)
[Feb 1, 2011 12:38:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jessoleil

Striking me while I have 2 other projects on needles.... /e runs off to go find the pretty water like yarn that would be perfect for this!
Jessoleil
Senior Officer of Infinite Darkness
Princess of Midknight Sun

Avatar by the AMAZESAUCE Bunnylaroo!
[Feb 1, 2011 12:45:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

Can u do that kind of knitting that is done with a loom or board ?
~~~ Adrielle, Ezzleart and Enfyz ~~~
... (& @AmazinAdrielle on Twitter) ...
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Ezmerelda_M at Feb 1, 2011 1:39:14 PM]
[Feb 1, 2011 1:34:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
tilinka

Can u do that kind of knitting that is done with a loom or board ?

Yes, so long as the fabric you end up with has a knit or crochet structure (as opposed to the woven structure you get when using a more traditional loom.)

Edit: I haven't used either of those tools, though I do have a handy gadget for making i-cord. I honestly can't tell the difference between what that produces and what I knit myself.
Tilinka, Emerald
Perilous Puppet
Artsy Stuff
[Edit 1 times, last edit by tilinka at Feb 1, 2011 2:01:50 PM]
[Feb 1, 2011 1:53:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.perilouspuppets.com    Tilinka    3569427 [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

To read this post in Spanish click here - translation courtesy of Boschetti

Para leer este evento en español da clic aquí - traducción cortesía de Boschetti ^_^
[Feb 1, 2011 1:57:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

Thanx! It looks knitty =)
~~~ Adrielle, Ezzleart and Enfyz ~~~
... (& @AmazinAdrielle on Twitter) ...
[Feb 1, 2011 3:23:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
aimela

eeeeeeeexciting!!

Just ripped off a scarf I was working on to start this instead.
Aimela
Sometimes we know we shouldn't and that's exactly why we do.
[Feb 1, 2011 4:16:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Snowpixie

Striking me while I have 2 other projects on needles.... /e runs off to go find the pretty water like yarn that would be perfect for this!

Durr I always have at least 2 other projects on needles going... they just never get finished!

Tilinka... I luuuuuuurve your wool. Now that, I would love to be able to do.

great event! ... *gets to thinking*
Imp, totally sane mermaid-siren of Meridian.
Superdoodle avatar by Budclare =D
[Feb 2, 2011 3:20:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
XEcastasy

Gah, I love "3D" events, tho I've never knitted before! This could be a problem!

Doing a little youtubing, I found this interesting link that is useful, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqeG05HFP1E

Also can the scarf be a hybrid? Like a hat and scarf? or just strictly a scarf??
Ecastasy of ... Cerulean

[Feb 2, 2011 6:35:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jessoleil

Gah, I love "3D" events, tho I've never knitted before! This could be a problem!

Doing a little youtubing, I found this interesting link that is useful, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqeG05HFP1E

Also can the scarf be a hybrid? Like a hat and scarf? or just strictly a scarf??

I'm doing a Cowl (a scarf knit in the round)...which, if anyone else is wondering, is ok :) yay!
Jessoleil
Senior Officer of Infinite Darkness
Princess of Midknight Sun

Avatar by the AMAZESAUCE Bunnylaroo!
[Feb 2, 2011 1:21:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
baast

Having seen the super-awesome-cardigan-of-green on Rav... I think a scarf to go with it would be great!

I'll have to go raid my stash and see what I can come up with for this....
Sassafras, on 5/7 4/5 oceans.
Barefoot in protest since 2003.

Will puzzle for wool.
[Feb 2, 2011 1:51:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://soapturtle.net [Link]  Go to top 
tilinka

I adore knitting Jane Thornley designs (the super-awesome-cardi is more-or-less her roving moss one) because they let me play with all my handspun yarns. :) Weaving in the zillion-and-one ends is a pain, though!

Let's see - you are welcome to get creative with your scarf construction.* It just needs to function primarily as a scarf. Cowls and shawlettes (which are often worn wrapped around the neck), while not technically scarves, are also acceptable.

Your scarf can be multipurpose. You're welcome to knit matched accessories, but for judging purposes, we'll be looking at the scarf, rather than the entire set.

Edit: The one I'm knitting (which is entirely for my own amusement, but I will be showing off when it's done!) is definitely a non-standard construction. ^^
Tilinka, Emerald
Perilous Puppet
Artsy Stuff
[Edit 1 times, last edit by tilinka at Feb 2, 2011 2:36:26 PM]
[Feb 2, 2011 2:31:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.perilouspuppets.com    Tilinka    3569427 [Link]  Go to top 
starsapphire

Ack! I'm going to have to force myself out of my fiber comfort zone! (and find/unpack my supplies)
Falmari on all Oceans

In water they had great delight, and those that came at last to the western shores were enamoured of the sea.
[Feb 2, 2011 5:41:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CillisC123

Great event! :D
You chose a great subject (pirates loves octopusss)
;)
Topsail
Viridian

Shazingle!

Avvie By Me!!!

If you miss Floody, say Arr!
[Feb 3, 2011 5:19:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jzasia

So... is felting OK?
Assuming one felts a knitted or crocheted construction?

And thanks for this! How fun!
rune of malachite

* fabulous avatar by the lovely Falmari
[Feb 3, 2011 5:55:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jzasia [Link]  Go to top 
tilinka

Felting is fine, but please include a before-and-after pic if you do. :)
Tilinka, Emerald
Perilous Puppet
Artsy Stuff
[Feb 3, 2011 6:30:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.perilouspuppets.com    Tilinka    3569427 [Link]  Go to top 
starsapphire

-Pattern information (link if it's available online, tell us where you found it otherwise.) If you improvised based on an existing pattern or made up your own, tell us that!

Are you asking us to post our pattern if we made it up/improvised? Or just say "I made this up?"

I'm a total greenie when it comes to patterns. For example, I was taught "granny square" (crochet pattern) but don't know what the stitches are to do it are called. Just want to know if I need to figure out what actual stitch names are/abbreviation translations.
Falmari on all Oceans

In water they had great delight, and those that came at last to the western shores were enamoured of the sea.
[Feb 3, 2011 7:22:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tilinka

Are you asking us to post our pattern if we made it up/improvised? Or just say "I made this up?"

I'm a total greenie when it comes to patterns. For example, I was taught "granny square" (crochet pattern) but don't know what the stitches are to do it are called. Just want to know if I need to figure out what actual stitch names are/abbreviation translations.

Hmm.. You don't need to post the exact details of an improvised pattern (though you are welcome to do so). A brief description of your concept and how you went about achieving it will be fine.

I would recommend making notes as you go if you have any intention of trying to repeat the feat. (Or letting other folks have a go at it.)

As an example:

I cast on four stitches, joined in the round, and knit a few rows, increasing every other row until I had 30 or so. Then I just knit. About halfway up, I switched yarn to the fuzzy yellow stuff for the chick, knit a few rows, and then decreased. When I got to the top, I switched back to the shiny blue yarn and increased/decreased rapidly to make the beret. The beak and eye/eyepatch were added with embroidery floss and the whole thing was stuffed with fiber (what else?)

(Though the eggy peep pattern is actually from a blog somewhere.)
Tilinka, Emerald
Perilous Puppet
Artsy Stuff
[Feb 3, 2011 8:33:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.perilouspuppets.com    Tilinka    3569427 [Link]  Go to top 
Winklecat

Tilinka,
Your example is exceedingly intimidating. You are clearly very talented and creative However it is a scarf not an egg so my daughter and I will still give it a try. Plus, what a great excuse to hit our favorite wool shop this weekend!
Thanks for creating an interesting event.
Winklecat
SO of The Bootleggers on Emerald
Royal and occasional monarch of The End
[Feb 4, 2011 12:17:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tilinka

Eep! Believe me, all of my knitting prior to two years ago consisted of ribbed or garter stitch scarves. I knew there were knits and purls, but I had no idea which was which. :) I also distinctly remember being awed by folks who knit hats!

If you're not sure on terminology, you could post a photo and we'll try to help you describe what you've done.
Tilinka, Emerald
Perilous Puppet
Artsy Stuff
[Feb 4, 2011 1:07:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.perilouspuppets.com    Tilinka    3569427 [Link]  Go to top 
ladyrayth

Squeeee!

Love this idea and THANK YOU for the long deadline! (my yarn stash is nearly non-existent at the moment and I have to wait a week or so until I can buy more)

~Nasrin
Nasrin
Midnight Ocean
Captain of Mist Spirits

Current Avatar by Darkfaery
[Feb 5, 2011 6:53:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
defens

Creativity does not suit me D:
Better learn knitting somewhere from.
A comeback, to eat pie.

Notes for self:
1. Need new avatar.
2. Need new cookie box.
3. Including pie box.
[Feb 5, 2011 7:34:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CillisC123

Suppose there's this person, let's call them "I", who forgot to take a picture of their fabulous scarf at the required certain places. What should "I" do? "I" knows that the reason for this rule is so nobody buys a scarf and goes "hurr hurr i totally made this" and "I"'s scarf is clearly not store-boughten (it's kind-of... well, you'll see). What should "I" do?

Edit: I could take a picture of me putting the pompoms on, which I'm doing now...
Topsail
Viridian

Shazingle!

Avvie By Me!!!

[Edit 1 times, last edit by CillisC123 at Feb 6, 2011 10:01:32 AM]
[Feb 6, 2011 9:50:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tilinka

Suppose there's this person, let's call them "I", who forgot to take a picture of their fabulous scarf at the required certain places. What should "I" do? "I" knows that the reason for this rule is so nobody buys a scarf and goes "hurr hurr i totally made this" and "I"'s scarf is clearly not store-boughten (it's kind-of... well, you'll see). What should "I" do?

Edit: I could take a picture of me putting the pompoms on, which I'm doing now...

Oh dear. I'm presuming it's the "in-progress" picture that's missing?
Option #1: Take the in-progress picture now, and I'll let you know if it's sufficient.
Option #2: *shudder* Rip back a ways and take the "in progress picture," and finish it up again.
Option #3: (For the overly ambitious) Create a matching scarf. Or two. Or seven!
Tilinka, Emerald
Perilous Puppet
Artsy Stuff
[Feb 6, 2011 11:58:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.perilouspuppets.com    Tilinka    3569427 [Link]  Go to top 
CillisC123

Thanks Tilinka!
I think I just got an idea...
Are hat-scarves acceptable?
Topsail
Viridian

Shazingle!

Avvie By Me!!!

[Edit 2 times, last edit by CillisC123 at Feb 6, 2011 12:43:04 PM]
[Feb 6, 2011 12:01:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tilinka

Hat-scarves are acceptable. :) (Apologies if I wasn't clear enough on that point earlier.)
Tilinka, Emerald
Perilous Puppet
Artsy Stuff
[Feb 6, 2011 1:37:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.perilouspuppets.com    Tilinka    3569427 [Link]  Go to top 
seleennn

Oh dear. I'm presuming it's the "in-progress" picture that's missing?
Option #1: Take the in-progress picture now, and I'll let you know if it's sufficient.
Option #2: *shudder* Rip back a ways and take the "in progress picture," and finish it up again.
Option #3: (For the overly ambitious) Create a matching scarf. Or two. Or seven!

Totally forgot to add the name card at in-progress pic !!-panics- But i took one more pic before start with wools and knitting-needles and yes it has the card (name-ocean-date), so can i send more than 3 pic in my entry? Background and wool's tag proves it , ohh! and wools' colours, but if u say ''No, There must be only 3 pic'' -hics- i will rip or remake the octo :P
Seleenn on Meridian
The Evil Twin of Boysenberry ;)

[Edit 2 times, last edit by seleennn at Feb 7, 2011 5:14:40 PM]
[Feb 7, 2011 5:12:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tilinka

You can include more than three pics in your entry - three is the minimum required. :)
Tilinka, Emerald
Perilous Puppet
Artsy Stuff
[Feb 7, 2011 6:36:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.perilouspuppets.com    Tilinka    3569427 [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 152   Pages: 6   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates