• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 17
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4680 times and has 16 replies Next Thread
daemonaconis

AI Difficulty appearing to increase dramatically at night Reply to this Post

Perhaps it is just me and my crews bad luck, but during the day we seem to be able to trample a good portion of green computers with relative ease.

However, at night, when we are lucky enough to come across green brigands, we are thoroughly trampled. I've had, on my third drop (using space bar to speed it up) a scatter dropped across my screen that was 5 blocks deep across the whole screen while one AI targetted me.

I was wondering if, on the off chance, you are testing a new swordfighting AI during the nights. It would make sense, seeing as how it would affect significantly less people than AI being altered during the daytime.

I post this for two reasons, one to ask the devs if this is true, and to find out other's opinions on this matter.
----------------------------------------
Latest sea shanty created and sung out of boredom: "The seas be empty, the seas be wet, same as me belly, same as me wench."
[Aug 16, 2003 3:09:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gravybeard

Re: AI Difficulty appearing to increase dramatically at night Reply to this Post

Some nights, yes. Tonight for instance, after attacking two greens and losing, we find them switched up to orange. Surprise surprise why we lost.

However, the night after the server reboot was an amazing one. Pillaging at night has been rather inconsistent, I find.
[Aug 16, 2003 3:23:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Traino+Fgravy [Link]  Go to top 
Taro

Re: AI Difficulty appearing to increase dramatically at night Reply to this Post

Perhaps after a day of being beaten up, they have downgraded their difficulty in appearance.
N?o chora, menina, n?o chora mais.
Um dia voc? vai saber.
Na vida existe sempre a raz?o
E mesmo a tristeza tem valor.

[Aug 16, 2003 3:50:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
daemonaconis

I would think that, except for the fact it had continued well after we'd been knocked back down to able. This has been happening the past few nights for us.
Latest sea shanty created and sung out of boredom: "The seas be empty, the seas be wet, same as me belly, same as me wench."
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Penndalla

Any chance the composition of ye crew changes at night as ye day and night shifts swap out?
Pennsuedo

My art: http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all [Link]  Go to top 
daemonaconis

Sadly enough, there was only 2 changes in a ship of 7. There's a core of us who while away our free time. There's 7 of us during the afternoon, and 5 of us at night who end up hiring jobbers to give them a chance.
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ramus

I think it should also be based (if not already) on the ammount of players online. At 3 am Eastern, I can barely find a crew, and if I do its such a pain to find a ship to attack, once we do.. well. In the end we hear alot of, "CHEATING AI!!!!!" :P
Ramus, Co-Founder of The Crows Nest. The largest and greatest Puzzle Pirate fan community!

Wench of Le Freccette
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Ramus at Aug 16, 2003 9:25:13 PM]
[Aug 16, 2003 9:25:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.pp-nest.net [Link]  Go to top 
garf

i have yet to see the ai "cheat".

whenever i see instakills, i see full npp playfields that dont get finished off and suddenly jump down.

even one pirate can consistently mess up yer fights if he deliberately tries to give ammunition to enemies and then switches to another to do the same.
- Randal

[size=9]also Garf, Silvain and a few others
[Aug 16, 2003 10:29:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    garf+on+aim [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Brigand consistency Reply to this Post

One of the 'big things' we intend to do before launch is to make finding a fair(ish, depending on the route) Brigand to fight a lot more consistent.
[Aug 17, 2003 5:17:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Chibimorph

garf wrote: 
i have yet to see the ai "cheat".

whenever i see instakills, i see full npp playfields that dont get finished off and suddenly jump down.

even one pirate can consistently mess up yer fights if he deliberately tries to give ammunition to enemies and then switches to another to do the same.

Be that as it may, I've been insta-killed by AI's when I wasn't even targetted many a time.

I find that ye tend tae get attacked by AI's no matter if they're focusin' on ye or not.
[Aug 17, 2003 7:44:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jota

Chibimorph wrote: 
Be that as it may, I've been insta-killed by AI's when I wasn't even targetted many a time.

I find that ye tend tae get attacked by AI's no matter if they're focusin' on ye or not.

I think the devs have recently mentioned that issue (which I've also frequently noticed) as the consequence of a bug. Specifically, I believe they've said that the targeting dots don't always get updated the way they should. So when that happens, an AI probably is still targetting you, but your display just isn't reflecting that with a red dot.
[Aug 17, 2003 9:11:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/users/grunk/2002/04/24/ [Link]  Go to top 
Chibimorph

Aye, I dinnae read th' post where they mentioned that until after I'd replied. Ye be correct, it's quite possible that the AI's aren't actually cheating after all.

O' course, that does mean they're far better than the average human player.
[Aug 17, 2003 12:26:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
madcow404

The AI DOES cheat in the sense that it isn't bound to the same rules players are. I'm sure of it. A routine isn't actually dropping trash an an NPC and dropping in on humans when the NPC clears a good bit...

I've seen NPC play fields drop in ways that are impossible.
[Aug 17, 2003 3:54:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tybalt

I too have seen some odd behavior from NPP's. Although no one can prove that they're cheating, per se, I have seen some behavior that leads me to believe they are not bound by the same rules that we are. In swordfighting as well as sea-battle.

Many times I have suspected that the blocks that fall on their screens in swordfighting are not the same mess that we get. Many times I have accused the opposing ship of knowing my moves before they're made and responding accordingly. This logic is obviously built in the game as anyone who has confronted the Black Ship will tell you. Do your average NPP's have access to this routine?

One bug that I haven't seen addressed with, I encountered last night when an NPP ship sailed off the map in Sea Battle. I took a good screenshot of it and will post a bug report sometime tonight. Unable to catch it, it burned 5 turns and disengaged.
[Aug 18, 2003 11:27:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Tybalt, Brigand ships (and players, for that matter) can sail off the edge a bit because the edge is not hard. Instead, the edge acts as wind tiles pushing inward. At the corners or by rocks (although you'll be damaged) you can move more than one space out from the regular play area. It is difficult and (for brigands) random, but isn't quite a bug.

As for Swordfighting AIs cheating, they have the same sort of restrictions players do, but do "play" the puzzle differently (as garf said in another post, "statistically"). I think more often the "cheating" is just a misunderstanding of the situation (occasionally exacerbated by the targetting dots moving too slowly).

* Attacks queue against you and enemies.
This means that if three of you are sending repeated, small breaks to an opponent, you will build up a long time of nearly zero board growth. When you finally make your giant combo, it will take longer to register if you've been pelting them with spitballs.
It also means that numerous attacks could still be lined up on you well after all opponents have changed targets. The changes to the dot motion should help make this clearer.

* NPP AIs fight more slowly the more players are targetting them. This makes the above time-spread increase even more dramatically and can make it seem as though the opponent is invincible. It is not. A player can dot the same thing.

* Sea Battle ranking is relative to your and their current performance.
When Gravybeard's enemies switched from green to orange, that did not mean they were lying or shielding their skill. After the battle, both mights recalculated based on the fact that his crew lost and the ranks changed accordingly.
This also means that if you target cyans for a long time before deciding to upgrade to greens, you are ugrading more than you think you are. Beating all those cyans does (slightly) increase your might score. Each cyan you beat in succession is actually a little bit harder, and when you decide to go for a green later on, it is actually a ship that would have appeared yellow, or even orange to you earlier in the voyage.

-Nemo
[Aug 19, 2003 2:34:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ben12321

wow that helped alot.
thanks.
Sugar rush?
Want free sweets?

Click me and get a free curly whirley but do surveys and win more more more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[Nov 16, 2008 6:17:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

wow that helped alot.
thanks.

Mind the 5+ year bump here, the last post was from back when the game was still in beta testing. Many things have changed since then, I would take it all with a large grain of salt and it may not have been much help as you seem to think.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Nov 16, 2008 6:23:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates