• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 18
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4480 times and has 17 replies Next Thread
Starflight14

Januarry seal of piracy requirements unfair? Reply to this Post

I cannot get the seal of January, which means that i cannot get the seal of winter, nor the seal of 2011. I have a wager ban which makes it so i cannot wager inside any games, and that includes skeletons and zombies. When i signed up for this, i knew that i would not have this ability but doing something that requires me to bet, I believe is unfair. when i had looked into it, i had made sure that none-few seals required this and the last one was October, 2009 so i believed it was not going to happen again. I have asked if I can get the ban temporary removed or if i could just receive the trophy. From these wagering bans being for so few players, i may be the only one who thinks this is a problem... any comments?
----------------------------------------
Officerblue on the ocean of elites... COBALT

Now retired :/ BACK AGAIN!!!!
[Jan 9, 2011 8:24:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Phaerie2

Re: Januarry seal of piracy requirements unfair? Reply to this Post

I've not made many of the seals due to RL, lack of skill at required puzzles etc, there will always be some obstacles. This months seal I only got because I'm lucky to have such a good hearty network that sends me /tells about where the frays are at. I don't mind, it's nice to make friends along the way :)
Phaerie: Obsidian and Cerulean Phaeirie: Emerald
[Jan 9, 2011 9:24:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Raymond_III

I don't care for trophies so it wouldn't mean much for me, but when you asked for the wager ban you knew it would be permanent and would stop you from participating fully in the game, just like you can't get poker trophies.

And the fact that it has happened before where you were required to bet should of told you that it was likely to happen again.
[Jan 9, 2011 11:18:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stephensam

I don't care for trophies so it wouldn't mean much for me, but when you asked for the wager ban you knew it would be permanent and would stop you from participating fully in the game, just like you can't get poker trophies.

And the fact that it has happened before where you were required to bet should of told you that it was likely to happen again.

QFT
Stevensam -Cobalt Native, founder and host of The PoE is Right. Creator of Lime Day.
[Jan 10, 2011 12:15:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Stevensam [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

Yep, there's already a whole stack of trophies you can't get relating to the wagered parlour games (well I guess technically you could still get ult hearts/spades but I've never seen an unwagered game).

The wager ban is supposed to be a drastic and final solution. If you are so bad at self control that you need it, it's probably best that you don't get addicted to trophies either ;)
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[Jan 10, 2011 1:47:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
false_dmitri

I wonder if skellies and zombies still count as gambling. There's no random win/loss of items anymore, just a 100 PoE playing fee every few minutes. It's little different than taking a certain value of stock and booty into pillage fights.

I suppose it matters less how much they charge and more whether they trigger the addiction....
On hiatus. :(
[Jan 10, 2011 2:41:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

I think in this case it probably matters more whether they use the same chunk of the gamecode to begin the fight....
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Jan 10, 2011 2:57:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nooblar

I'd almost go post a thread in GD suggestion it gets reclassified, but then you get into murky waters of what defines gambling, and you're better being safe than being sorry, and certainly better being stalwart than being finicky, when you're choosing to ban yourself from gambling.
Nooblar and/or Nerdbeard on Sage/Emerald
Cartrunner wrote: 

<3
Dear forum alt: since you inquired, no, I do not endorse ban evasion.

Tilinkatar!
[Jan 10, 2011 3:33:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
IantheKorean

Been kicked from four frays in a row while ZZZers get in. This is some bullshit.
[Jan 10, 2011 10:01:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
REJBELLS

Been kicked from four frays in a row while ZZZers get in. This is some bullshit.

heheh Can't wait to see Ian's response when the straightliner gets the map lol...
runs off giggling...
Wildsrose Of:
Cerulean, Meridian & Emerald

The Titan. The Kraken.
[Jan 10, 2011 11:39:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
IainMc83

I'd almost go post a thread in GD suggestion it gets reclassified, but then you get into murky waters of what defines gambling, and you're better being safe than being sorry, and certainly better being stalwart than being finicky, when you're choosing to ban yourself from gambling.

I would say a fight against skellies or zombies would be more under the definition of skill than gambling.
Thing being they call it a wager ban and not a gambling ban.
Personally I'd be all for changing the wager bab so as it allows the person to obtain the seals through skellie/zombie fights.
Mainsail. :)
[Jan 12, 2011 5:38:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nooblar

Ahh, but the question on if poker is a game of chance or a game of skill depends largely on how good the person you are asking is at poker.
Nooblar and/or Nerdbeard on Sage/Emerald
Cartrunner wrote: 

<3
Dear forum alt: since you inquired, no, I do not endorse ban evasion.

Tilinkatar!
[Jan 12, 2011 7:38:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marundel

I'm lucky to be skilled at poker :)
Pizzahutpete on the Cerulean Ocean
Prince, Super Awesomeness
SO, Boochin' Drunks

Pizzahutpete everywhere, thanks to the merge
[Jan 13, 2011 9:26:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thehomebrewstore.com    meadbrewer [Link]  Go to top 
whatthejish

Poker is poker, and I'd rather be lucky than skilled ;D
Dionysos, Cobalt and Obsidian
[Edit 1 times, last edit by whatthejish at Jan 13, 2011 9:31:11 AM]
[Jan 13, 2011 9:30:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

Tee hee. Funny thing is, the bigger the table (more players), and looser the play (more people likely to call the opening and see the flop), the more important luck is.

Even a pair of 2's is great in a two person poker game. But if you had 1,000 people, then even a pair of A's is unlikely to win. Straight/flush or full house dominates at that point, and the flop seems (as far as I can tell) to be more important than the pocket at that point.

Now, since YPP seems to have mostly 10 person tables, instead of 6, and looser play (more callers), this seems to be relevant.
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Jan 22, 2011 1:36:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
Aenor

Tee hee. Funny thing is, the bigger the table (more players), and looser the play (more people likely to call the opening and see the flop), the more important luck is.

Even a pair of 2's is great in a two person poker game. But if you had 1,000 people, then even a pair of A's is unlikely to win. Straight/flush or full house dominates at that point, and the flop seems (as far as I can tell) to be more important than the pocket at that point.

Now, since YPP seems to have mostly 10 person tables, instead of 6, and looser play (more callers), this seems to be relevant.

In the short term, luck always dominates. In the long term, skill always does. AA vs. 9 random hands will only win approximately 30% of the time. On any given hand, you're more likely to lose than win. But once you do win, you now have ten times the amount of money you started with. Now, in order to go broke, you'd have to lose ten straight pots with a 30% chance. The odds of that happening? (.7)^10, which is less than 3%

In other words, play conservative within your bankroll, not ever risking too much of your total net worth on any one hand, and so long as you can get all-in with the best hand more often than your opponents, you will succeed.
Mat on the Meridian Ocean

Thank you to everyone who loves Blacksmithing!
[Jan 22, 2011 10:02:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marundel

Actually, it'd be impossible to win with anything like a full house in a 1,000 person game as that would require at least 2,008 cards and there are only 52 in the deck. Twenty-two people would be the most you could have with a standard deck (44 pocket cards, 5 table cards and 3 burns.)
Pizzahutpete on the Cerulean Ocean
Prince, Super Awesomeness
SO, Boochin' Drunks

Pizzahutpete everywhere, thanks to the merge
[Jan 23, 2011 8:47:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thehomebrewstore.com    meadbrewer [Link]  Go to top 
DaneT

Actually, it'd be impossible to win with anything like a full house in a 1,000 person game as that would require at least 2,008 cards and there are only 52 in the deck. Twenty-two people would be the most you could have with a standard deck (44 pocket cards, 5 table cards and 3 burns.)

You've never played "40 decks - 1" Hold 'Em?
Awesome game if you can get the people. I usually play at Guiness World Record attempts.
It has been said, my friends, that I like war. My friends, I like War. No...I LOVE WAR!

Danet - An old salt of Y!PP, but not the oldest by a long shot.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by DaneT at Jan 23, 2011 4:55:17 PM]
[Jan 23, 2011 4:54:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates