• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 66
Posts: 66   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 24449 times and has 65 replies Next Thread
Dexla

A Rube Goldberg Piratey Art Contest! - win a parrot! [Winners Announced!] Reply to this Post

RESULTS ARE IN!
<Click here for the list of winners!>

Happy New Year!
A Rube Goldberg Piratey Art Contest!

How Dexla Comes Up With A YPP Event
Rat (A) trips cord (B) with tail, ringing ship's bell (C). Snoozing Malacat (D) on top of fancy chest is startled, and bumps its head on wall-mounted shelf (E), skewing the angle of the shelf. Cannonball rolls down shelf (F) toward snoozing Dex at her table (G). Dex gets bonked on the head by cannonball (H) (not the first time) , and using her paper and quill, comes up with a new YPP Forum Event idea (I).
----------
Ever wish there was another way to snag a brigand? Or to make fine rum? Or to avoid greenies at the dock? Invent and draw a machine, or a complex method, of achieving a simple goal as it relates to our YPP lives in a Rube Goldberg style. Use at least 3 different purchasable (non-seasonal) furniture pieces from Puzzle Pirates in your entry!
----------
Who is Rube Goldberg? Good question! I'm glad you asked! You're probably more familiar with him than you think, but you can check out these links for examples of Rube Goldberg 'inventions' and to learn more about him:
http://www.rubegoldberg.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rube_Goldberg
----------
IN YOUR ENTRY POST:
- The title (or purpose) of your invention
- A 600px x 600px max-size image (.jpg, .png, .gif (not animated)) of your entry. You may draw larger if needed and supply a link to the larger image, but I'd appreciate a smaller/thumbnail version in your entry post if you do that.
- Text to accompany your drawing that follow the steps of your invention.
- List the YPP furniture pieces (remember that there has to be at least 3) that appear in your drawing that are part of your invention (or you can bold the items like I did in the opener of this post.)
- Pirate name and ocean
----------
ENTRY THREAD LINK <CLICK HERE!>
DEADLINE: Tuesday, February 1, 2011 at 6pm game time.

----------
For our talented Jade and Opal pirates!
This event information was generously translated by Clotho and Thalia! Follow these links for detail!
Jade: http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=165388
Opal: http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=165357
----------
SOME CLARIFICATIONS: Stuff you don't want to read, but should!
- A purchasable (non-seasonal) furniture piece is something that can be purchased from a furniture shoppe, without the need of special designs, and is not limited to the season.
- You may use one of something if it comes in bulk (ex: you can use 1 lime, from a crate of limes, or as in the above example, one cannonball, from the stacked cannonballs that you can buy from the furniture shoppes.)
- You're more than welcomed to draw additional furniture or objects to make your overall picture as nice as you'd like for it to be, but the 3 necessary pieces of furniture should have some function in your invention.
- 1 entry per pirate
- Images may be hosted on Photobucket or Imageshack. Click here for information on How to Post an Image
- Judging will be based on the quality of your artwork, and how creative/entertaining/detailed your invention is!
- Hand-drawn or computer-drawn, color or black and white, is up to you. Be sure to submit good, clean images so the judges can see your wonderful work!
- General forum rules apply in regards to decency!
- Open to all oceans except Crimson. Entries must be posted in English. Prizes delivered to Opal or Jade will be appropriately translated by the OMs.
----------
Prizes:
Red and gold ribbons for the top 3 places!
1st place - a Ruby Goldbird (an unnamed red/gold parrot)
2nd place - a sloop renamed "Ruby Goldfish"
3rd place - 3 purchasable furniture pieces from your entry
4th place - 1 purchasable furniture piece from your entry
(Red will be the primary color awarded if the furniture comes in color. Which piece(s) of furniture that will be awarded will be determined by blind-folded dart-throwing.)

Have fun everyone! And if you have any questions, please post!

---------
Q&A
Can we use a furniture piece more then once? Yes, you can, but keep in mind there needs to be 3 different pieces of YPP furniture used overall.
----------------------------------------
Dexla d'Midnight
[Edit 6 times, last edit by Dexla at Feb 11, 2011 11:24:04 AM]
[Jan 7, 2011 6:42:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jackingg

Re: A Rube Goldberg Piratey Art Contest! - win a parrot! [Ends Feb 1] Reply to this Post

Uh, yea, Dex.

Did that Cannonball hurt? :/

On a seriousness note - I wanted to ask. Can we use a furniture piece more then once? Say I choose a sugarcane barrel, can I have something bounce off the top, then something else swing around the middle?
Ivytheblade

Not intended for those with weak constitutions

Now officially dating half your Parley Trolls.
[Jan 7, 2011 6:48:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

Re: A Rube Goldberg Piratey Art Contest! - win a parrot! [Ends Feb 1] Reply to this Post

You can use a piece of furniture more than once, but I do need for there to be 3 different pieces of furniture in the overall invention! I will go back and clarify/edit - thanks!

Hurt? My hard head? Are you kidding? hahaha!
Dexla d'Midnight
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Dexla at Jan 7, 2011 6:52:29 AM]
[Jan 7, 2011 6:52:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lilymoon

Ooh! This looks like a really fun contest indeed! I have lots of Mwhahahahaaa!! ideas too :D :D
/me hopes to have time to enter!
Faeree ~ Illustrious Wanderer on all oceans ~
Avvie by Tilinka!
Apollo wrote: 
(Is it wrong that I'm now just a tiny bit in love with Faeree's brother?)

[Jan 7, 2011 9:58:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Faeree [Link]  Go to top 
Jezzebel

I love Rube Goldberg with all my heart. Too bad I can't draw.
Redjenny, Now merged with Health Nutz
Thebloggess wrote: 
A hug is like a strangle you haven't finished yet!

[Jan 7, 2011 10:17:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mrtwistar

will we be judged by our drawing capability? I sure hope not :S

/e runs to art school.
Kse/Instrumental/Bromance/Sonicbang

[Jan 7, 2011 12:22:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Neonila

Yarr! Great event idea!

Question: Can we include RL in the entry? Example: Getting a beer from when you can't take an lpr? Or doing something with your PC to get all incs on bilge?
Alniyat,
Booching Blaggards -> http://dirac.dynalias.com/bb/

If the Fish Rumour Mongers had their way, we'd be dropping on everything.
I dropped a plate the other day. Does that count?
-- Missiep --

[Jan 7, 2011 3:04:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://neonila.deviantart.com [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

will we be judged by our drawing capability?

It's partly an art contest, so yes, you will be judge partly on your artwork :D

Can we include RL in the entry?

Let's try to stick with our in-game pirate and our in-game pirate lives, as opposed to the person playing a pirate. BUT, if this helps, I don't mind if you use objects from RL that don't exist in our pirate worlds (yet!) Hope that answers your question.

*edited missing word :D
Dexla d'Midnight
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Dexla at Jan 8, 2011 8:15:14 AM]
[Jan 7, 2011 7:48:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Neonila

Can we include RL in the entry?

Let's try to stick with our in-game pirate and our in-game pirate lives, as opposed to the person playing a pirate. BUT, if this helps, I don't mind if you objects from RL that don't exist in our pirate worlds (yet!) Hope that answers your question.

Aye, thanks!
Alniyat,

-- Missiep --

[Jan 8, 2011 2:00:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://neonila.deviantart.com [Link]  Go to top 
Jackarius23

Ideas ideas! Teehee!
Kork, Meridian
Jackarius, Cerulean

Cleaver is going to strangle all of you.

[Jan 8, 2011 5:30:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mineowyn

If we suck at drawing will that count heavily against us? Or is the idea more important?
Olwyn of Sage

Fleet Officer in The Titans
[Jan 12, 2011 3:40:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

If we suck at drawing will that count heavily against us? Or is the idea more important?

It won't count against you, but both aspects are going to be taken into consideration. (Half and half.)
Dexla d'Midnight
[Jan 12, 2011 4:37:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chestylerou

When you say "Rube Goldberg style" are you talking about the style of drawing or the explanatory nature of the "Rube Goldberg style"?
Chestylerou

[Jan 12, 2011 3:38:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

the explanatory nature of the "Rube Goldberg style"?

This :D
Dexla d'Midnight
[Jan 12, 2011 6:00:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

Adding translated links! Reply to this Post

Edited the original post to include this helpful information! Thank you Clotho and Thalia!

For our talented Jade and Opal pirates!
This event information was generously translated by Clotho and Thalia! Follow these links for detail!
Jade: http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=165388
Opal: http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=165357
Dexla d'Midnight
[Jan 14, 2011 4:58:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Trini27

Re: Adding translated links! Reply to this Post

thanks dexla, what a fun event
Ndm, Hunter.

Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
[Jan 14, 2011 8:18:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Doriantk

if we win, how do we receive the prize?
juggy of cobalt ocean
[Jan 16, 2011 8:34:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

if we win, how do we receive the prize?

An incredibly awesome OM will magic them into your inventory.
Dexla d'Midnight
[Jan 16, 2011 9:46:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Hiya, I have a question.

I can't cram all my chain reaction awesomeness into one 600 px image. :( Would it be OK to create an animation that just switches to a new frame every once in awhile? Otherwise my image would be a mile long.
Cattrin of Cerulean
Avatar by Apollo (we miss you :c), Blakbead, Angelira, Coriander, and Accelerator!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Jan 17, 2011 3:50:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

Sorry - no animation!
You can make you image as large as you'd like and post a link. 600 max pixels is only for posting actual images on the forums.
Dexla d'Midnight
[Jan 17, 2011 4:30:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sibyl8

What a fun event, Dexla. Thanks!
Sibyl of Emerald
[Jan 18, 2011 6:34:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Neonila

/e is loving the entries so far =)
Alniyat,

-- Missiep --

[Jan 18, 2011 11:58:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://neonila.deviantart.com [Link]  Go to top 
DurkeeB

Is a parrot awarded to a winner from each ocean, or just from the winning ocean?
Recycled - Midnight
Captain - Aenima
[Jan 23, 2011 2:47:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

Is a parrot awarded to a winner from each ocean, or just from the winning ocean?

Only 1 parrot/1st place winner.
Dexla d'Midnight
[Jan 23, 2011 3:33:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jackarius23

/me wants to see the ressulltsss
Kork, Meridian
Jackarius, Cerulean

[Jan 26, 2011 8:01:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

It would help to wait until the event actually closes first :D

/thwaps you with a patience stick
Dexla d'Midnight
[Jan 26, 2011 8:45:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Robyand

Very nice event :). I'm not going to join it but I enjoy watching the entries. /me wishes lots of luck to all the participants.
[Jan 28, 2011 1:04:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CillisC123

Great Event Dexla :D
Lots of fun :)
Topsail
Viridian

Shazingle!

Avvie By Me!!!

If you miss Floody, say Arr!
[Jan 28, 2011 5:26:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jackarius23

It would help to wait until the event actually closes first :D

/thwaps you with a patience stick

ow! :(
Kork, Meridian
Jackarius, Cerulean

[Jan 29, 2011 5:18:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

ow! :(

:D
Dexla d'Midnight
[Jan 29, 2011 5:57:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 66   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates