• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 4
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2068 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
Alfwyn

Runestone and Icelandic Reply to this Post

I was always curious what the meaning of the runes on Brynhild's runestone where. Figuring out the exact runes displayed was one of the problems for me, but Pishkirlin came up with a very likely interpretion in his background contest entry.

Interpreting those as Furthark (or Hobbit/Ultima) runes, we get a transliteration like "THRIR HRINGS". I'm not sure if the last rune is an S or if there is none (on the runestone that is, Pishkirlin skipped it). Anyway, it suspiciously looks like "three rings" in icelandic (are plural forms in icelandic done by appending an s?) - but that's speculation based on google. Anybody familiar with that language?
[Dec 14, 2010 11:16:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cgg1305

Re: Runestone and Icelandic Reply to this Post

Sorry for the bump, but I have just noticed this thread and I thought I should provide an explanation for my discovery.

You are right, Alfwyn. When I was drawing my entry for Brynhild's background I started studying the inscription on the trinket and I eventually managed to decipher it as þrír hring (s), which apparently is Icelandic (or Norse or whatever) for THREE RING(S). Yes, I'm not sure about the plural since somewhere I found out that the plural for HRING should actually be HRUNGEN or HRINGEN something like that.
My guess is that the Arrrtists either formed the plural according to the grammar rules of modern English or left it uncompleted (the last 's' is unreadable anyway) on purpose.

Regards,
----------------------------------------
Pishkirlin of Emerald
[Feb 21, 2011 9:19:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marundel

Anybody familiar with that language?

The only thing I know about Icelandic is that Myrkfaelen means "afraid of the dark".
Pizzahutpete on the Cerulean Ocean
Prince, Super Awesomeness
SO, Boochin' Drunks

Pizzahutpete everywhere, thanks to the merge
[Feb 21, 2011 8:01:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thehomebrewstore.com    meadbrewer [Link]  Go to top 
Baddmark

Anybody familiar with that language?

The only thing I know about Icelandic is that Eyjafjallajökull means "No flights from UK airports until further notice".
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Baddmark at Feb 22, 2011 4:08:46 AM]
[Feb 22, 2011 4:08:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates