• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 2
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6451 times and has 1 reply Next Thread
Artof_Murder

Swimming Reply to this Post

We came up with this idea as a half-joke the other day in my crew and since I'm browsing the forums I figure I'll drop it in here and see what everyone thinks...
I am not a game designer so I won't be posting any dynamics. I hope that's not required.
I suppose you could do anything at all. I've always failed to see how the bilging puzzle makes water go away.

Anyway more than the dynamic of this puzzle the purpose is the real reasoning behind it. I have seen something like this in other games - I vaguely recall this. When you are planked from a ship and NOT in your crew (to prevent the irritation of spamming your crewbies with the puzzle) you are required to perform the swimming puzzle back to your home island. It ought to be a relatively short and easy puzzle, but enough of a bother to be an incentive to make jobbers want to follow the rules of the officers running the voyage.

Further, it might be an incentive for this rule-abiding mindset as eventually it will be well-known that a high experience rating (not so much ocean-wide standing because you can get low experience and high standing if you are genuinely good at a puzzle) in swimming is a red flag to XOs and the like that you have a reputation of sorts to breaking the normal rules of a voyage, i.e. have been planked a lot. A nice little red flag to those running a voyage how reliable a person it.

Anyway that's my thought. Feel free to shoot it down :)
----------------------------------------
Gamebug(IO) of Emerald.
Captain, SO, FO and CP of The Conglomerate.

Castor tells ye, "I'd go get some sleep!"
"Yay for unexpected gifts in yer booty!" -Hera
[Dec 11, 2010 1:56:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Re: Swimming Reply to this Post

Swimming isn't a crafting puzzle.

As a non-crafting puzzle, swimming has had some discussion, including the situation you described i.e. a puzzle to perform after planking.
----------------------------------------
[Dec 11, 2010 4:16:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates