• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 90
Posts: 90   Pages: 3   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 15394 times and has 89 replies Next Thread
Santaniellor

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - Brigand King edition! [Deadline 15 December 2010] Reply to this Post

I wish you luck narcissag ^^
----------------------------------------
Santaniellor De Tsunami (jade)
[Dec 3, 2010 2:09:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Distructible

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - Brigand King edition! [Deadline 15 December 2010] Reply to this Post

Heyy, here is my creation... I will appreciate your comments on it. (Just in case it looks too silly, this should represent Barnabas the Pale ;p)

Masters on Emerald.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Distructible at Dec 3, 2010 3:06:46 PM]
[Dec 3, 2010 1:58:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Inframan8

@distructible: It looks great, but to me it seems a bit blurry. Really cool though :)
Inframan
Super Retired.
Newest!
Loathe says, "Infra is carp god."
[Dec 3, 2010 4:18:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Here's another idea I'm working on. Obviously still need to add the other 6 Brigand Kings and some kind of background, but wanted to get my idea out there. This is a 4/5 pirate layout. Any early feedback would be appreciated!

Greylady, Meridian & Emerald, Greyladyy on Cerulean

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Dec 3, 2010 11:57:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kirppu1

Widow Queen's beauty cabin

All suggestions & comments appreciated :)
~Kirppu on the Meridian ocean~
Current avatar by Mangouste!
[Dec 4, 2010 1:36:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

I've added Gretchen Goldfang - 5 more to go! I'm not sure if I'll do the background inside (Hall of the Brigand Kings) or outside (Garden of the Brigand Kings). Any preferences?? Feedback is appreciated as always!

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Dec 4, 2010 9:38:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

I've added Gretchen Goldfang - 5 more to go! I'm not sure if I'll do the background inside (Hall of the Brigand Kings) or outside (Garden of the Brigand Kings). Any preferences?? Feedback is appreciated as always!

Greylady- I really like the idea you've got but I've got one big nitpik in regards to the perspective. I've got nothing to draw with on this laptop, but this quick trace might get my point across anyway:

Just wanted to point that out.

As for Hall or Garden? I'd go with a garden, so you don't have to worry about anything else being in perspective especially in relation to the base of the busts. Nature is a blessing as it has so many shapes that it's easy to hide things like that :D In fact you could probably hide those pseky lines with vines of ivy, or small bushes, but that one pillar at the back is a bit outta whack. Just thoughts, opinion, trying to help.
Dexla d'Midnight
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Dexla at Dec 4, 2010 10:31:50 AM]
[Dec 4, 2010 10:29:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Verziga

These are all looking fantastic, Dexla's in particular are amazing. Finius' Office is just awesome...I love it. Pishkirlin, Kirrpu, Greylady and Narci, as always, are looking great too.
My original plan was to do 1 background for each king but I'll never get it done in time. I've got 3 almost finished and 2 more roughly sketched but there's only 10 days left and the clock's ticking fast :(

Anyway, here's the 2 that are closest to being finished.

Azarbad first...

and Vargas...

Still a lot to do on both yet. Brinhyld isn't far behind, Gretchen is halfway done, Barnabus and the Widow Queen and ...and...can I have an extension please? :)

Right, back to it then...lots to do
Verziga of Emerald
Senior Officer and Ambassador of the crew 'Deadliest Catch'
Lord of the flag 'League of Light'
Too busy to play...too busy to draw. Stupid job :(
[Dec 4, 2010 6:29:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Verziga

Kirppu* sorry...my bad :)
Verziga of Emerald
[Dec 4, 2010 6:32:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

Verziga: I don't think I have enough money for 7 large portraits. That being said, maybe they'll have a BK theme next month, too. Who needs Valentine's Day when there's Flotillas to loot?

Masters: If you don't make it now, you ought to re-release on Halloween.
A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Benzene265 at Dec 4, 2010 9:49:01 PM]
[Dec 4, 2010 9:46:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
Corwyn

ok, started my first entry. very wip, still lots to do! Barnabas' ship graveyard is next :D

Corwyn on the Meridian Ocean

[Dec 5, 2010 5:30:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Verziga

ok, started my first entry. very wip, still lots to do! Barnabas' ship graveyard is next :D

Very nice indeed. Look forward to seeing the finished version.
Verziga of Emerald
[Dec 5, 2010 6:26:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Granadas8

-granadas
-jade

añil de corazón
[Dec 5, 2010 12:36:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Took a break from the Kings to work on the background and attempted to fix some of the perspective issues. What do you think? Is the perspective better? I'd really appreciate feedback, thanks!

[Dec 6, 2010 6:59:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

Took a break from the Kings to work on the background and attempted to fix some of the perspective issues. What do you think? Is the perspective better? I'd really appreciate feedback, thanks!

IMO- Much better!
Dexla d'Midnight
[Dec 6, 2010 3:43:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

Double post FTW!
Ok, this was the last background idea I had and I don't think I have any left up there in my noggin right now.

Dexla d'Midnight
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Dexla at Dec 9, 2010 7:40:16 AM]
[Dec 8, 2010 9:14:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Verziga

Double post FTW!
Ok, this was the last background idea I had and I don't think I have any left up there in my noggin right now.

It's another beauty Dexla :) Your work is amazing every month. I hope your Finius Office pic wins...I'm crossing my fingers that it will. I love it :)
Verziga of Emerald
[Dec 8, 2010 10:13:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

Thanks Verziga!
Dexla d'Midnight
[Dec 8, 2010 2:29:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ickessler

Awesome BG Corwyn, looks like something off of Digital Blasphemy. ;) Verziga's are really good too.

Actually they're all really good. I am particularly fond of Dexla's Widow and Kirrpu's Fineus.
Mobutu of Sage
[Edit 2 times, last edit by ickessler at Dec 8, 2010 8:56:09 PM]
[Dec 8, 2010 8:51:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kimbers108

I love them all so far. Can you guys PM me and let me know what tools you use to be able to do such wonderful art?

Keep up the great work, and I look forward to seeing who wins!
Kimmy

I play a few oceans :)

[Dec 9, 2010 8:39:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aguadopodo

[Dec 10, 2010 6:58:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Been working on my Hall of the Brigand Kings background. I've changed the pillars a bit and added more Kings. I'd appreciate any feedback you might have.

BTW, I have had an issue when saving my PSD file to PNG with the image losing detail. It looks like it flattens it first, then saves it. Maybe this always happens and it's just more noticable in this background, IDK, but if anyone has any ideas on how to avoid this, please let me know. I actually screen printed my PSD, then pasted into a new file in order to preserve the detail. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

[Dec 11, 2010 1:10:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cgg1305

Santaniellor wrote: 
Translation:
I like your background a lot! I would definitely buy it!!! And if by chance I win, I hope you get mine, hehehe, ok? :D I wish you the best of luck!! ^^

Thanks, mate. It's a deal, then! ;)

Greylady wrote: 
BTW, I have had an issue when saving my PSD file to PNG with the image losing detail. It looks like it flattens it first, then saves it. Maybe this always happens and it's just more noticable in this background, IDK, but if anyone has any ideas on how to avoid this, please let me know. I actually screen printed my PSD, then pasted into a new file in order to preserve the detail. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Well... when you switch from PSD to PNG Photoshop flattens indeed the file since PSD has layers while PNG doesn't. As for the loss of details, maybe you are saving in PNG-8 rather than PNG-24? Try saving by going to Save for Web & Devices... and then select PNG-24 as saving format. This is how I save mine, at least.

Speaking of which, I have two new entries. Many thanks to Apollo for the useful clarification.

Pishkirlin of Emerald
[Dec 11, 2010 11:03:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Well... when you switch from PSD to PNG Photoshop flattens indeed the file since PSD has layers while PNG doesn't. As for the loss of details, maybe you are saving in PNG-8 rather than PNG-24? Try saving by going to Save for Web & Devices... and then select PNG-24 as saving format. This is how I save mine, at least.

Thanks mate! My daughter suggested the same thing. I must have accidentally changed it somehow as I've never had this issue before. As soon as I get a chance, I'll try saving it that way. Oh, and very nice entries as usual mate. :)

[Edit 1 times, last edit by CapnKkatz at Dec 11, 2010 12:23:17 PM]
[Dec 11, 2010 12:22:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mandingo22

Greylady,

Ahoy! I think your background is start ing to look great, but I have just a couple of points.

The busts - they seem flat as if they are a drawing rather than a sculpture - the 3D element seems missing, - of course this may be due to the BG being in an early stage.

The base of each bust is very square, there seems n odistinction between the pillar & the actual BK bust. I realise the base of the bust would have to be stable enough to stay on the pillar, but it's a little too square.
Bluetongue
[Dec 11, 2010 2:40:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Verziga

Greylady, I was gonna say the same thing. I use Illustrator rather than Photoshop but always use 'save for web' to make my .png files. PNG-8 leads to terrible results but PNG-24 keeps the resolution nice and high.

Here's my first finished entry. Brynhild Skullsplitter

Not happy with the wolfs head but it's gonna have to do if I stand a chance of finishing the others in time. Most of it's cut out by the mask at the bottom anyway.

(edit) Got Vargas finished now too

Does anyone know how the double portraits work? These are made to fit with the facing pirates but they don't work at all with the standard 'facing the same way' pose. I notice you can't choose the pose in game...is it up to the judges to decide?
Verziga of Emerald
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Verziga at Dec 12, 2010 4:37:58 PM]
[Dec 12, 2010 3:18:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kirppu1

The idea I had with this background was that there'd be a constant wintery weather following brynhild's ship. Now that I've finished it I realize that the connection to brynhild isn't clear enough and it's really just a background with a longship in it.. Any suggestions how to make people think of brynhild when they see this? :D

~Kirppu on the Meridian ocean~
Current avatar by Mangouste!
[Dec 12, 2010 11:30:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Verziga

Why not put her on deck Kirppu? Maybe with a couple of viking companions or something. Or perhaps a symbol of some sort on the sail. An outline of her helmet maybe? Like this...

Either way...it's looking good.
Verziga of Emerald
[Dec 12, 2010 12:59:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sinistergoat

Some great backgrounds this month... can't wait to see what ends up being included.

Decided I'd give reworking an old entry a go... (it's an expansive scaled down so as to not break the forum)

Full size here . Be warned it's quite big!
Not sure about the swords... but can't work out what to do about them.

Kirppu - longships make me think Brynhild anyway - but perhaps that's just me!
Sinistergoat on Viridian, SO of RATs
[Dec 12, 2010 2:10:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jackingg

:3 Looks good!

No seriously, I love it, but I think the pirate on top would look... err.. weird.
Could you show us one with a pirate in it?
Just wondering how it'd look.
Ivytheblade

Not intended for those with weak constitutions

Now officially dating half your Parley Trolls.
[Dec 13, 2010 10:50:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 90   Pages: 3   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates