• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 13
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2870 times and has 12 replies Next Thread
djibouti

A message to the ocean: Your health and you

I felt like commenting on this because it's something I've heard many times over the years in this game:

If there is some part of this game (or really any game) that stresses you out so much that you become physically ill, you should stop doing it. If coordinating a blockade causes you to throw up, you should not be an admiral anymore. If you feel like you're letting your entire flag down after every blockade loss and that causes you to have a panic attack, you shouldn't be king/queen anymore. There is nothing (absolutely NOTHING!) to gain from playing this game that is worth sacrificing your health. There's enough stress in every day life and there's no point in adding more for no reason.

Now this isn't to say you shouldn't care. You can be nervous, but you shouldn't be panicked. You can feel a bit anxious, but being driven to chain smoking or binge drinking is probably not good for you. You can be sad if you lose, but if you react to a blockade loss in the same way that you react to having your wallet stolen, you shouldn't own islands anymore.

Look, stress is a very real thing that can cause very real problems including long-term health effects. And it doesn't just effect you, it effects everyone around you. If you find yourself arguing with your wife/husband over pointless things because you're stressed out from playing this game, you should stop playing this game. If you've slipped into several days of depression because of something that happened in this game, you should stop playing this game. At the very least, you should remove yourself from positions of power/responsibility and generally try to take things down a notch until you're able to deal with the fact that it's just a game.
----------------------------------------
Crispix
Pirates of the Damned
Yar, the laws of science be a harsh mistress.
[Nov 6, 2010 1:21:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
gummyworm

Re: A message to the ocean: Your health and you

Oh how many times I have been there. I'm slowly learning.
Abyzaran says, "no hole love today"
Abyzaran says, "i gettin bum scuppered"

[Nov 6, 2010 3:02:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Carchitectress    Yumyumyume [Link]  Go to top 
harrjm

So after I lose a blockade, I should not cut my wrist or take a bottle of pain killers? Glad you let me know.
Captain of Gods of War
King of Tyranny
Blockade madman
[Nov 6, 2010 3:16:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LtJamesDoom

If there is some part of this game (or really any game) that stresses you out so much that you become physically ill, you should stop doing it.

Some people used to make me physically ill, is that the same thing?
-Jamesdoom

For your health!
[Nov 6, 2010 4:09:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
IantheKorean

But but but THESE PIXELS ARE MY HOME!

You just don't understand!
[Nov 6, 2010 8:08:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Springheel

If there is some part of this game (or really any game) that stresses you out so much that you become physically ill, you should stop doing it.

Some people used to make me physically ill, is that the same thing?

i love you but you make me break out in hives

edit: sexy hives
blah blah blah
[Nov 7, 2010 12:58:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
King_Nick

If you find yourself arguing with your wife/husband over pointless things

you mean this isn't normal behaviour?

/e facepalms

plz consider stopping your ugly posts and uneeded suggesetions.

[Nov 7, 2010 1:17:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LtJamesDoom

I chain-vomit during blockades, and black-out during Treasure Haul
-Jamesdoom

For your health!
[Nov 8, 2010 5:07:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sailerboylee

posting in a thread for no particular reason.
Not a very good Pirate.
[Nov 9, 2010 11:32:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wonkothes

GAAAHHHHHH!!!!! Its back from the depths!!!

Missed you Lee.
Wonkots Governor of Wrasse
Cleaver wrote: 
Your new Penguin Overlords will be along shortly to begin the long and 'difficult' process of 'correction'."

[Nov 9, 2010 1:45:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bealotus

ZOMG! Lee where have you been hidding?
Oceanus says, "Genious, pure genious."
[Nov 10, 2010 2:14:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Elliptic

Affect is tricky.
"That is not how the question frames itself."

Wend, royal archophobe
[Nov 10, 2010 2:34:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
REJBELLS

Dear OP,
If you are having these kinds of reactions.. And others like feeling you have found a soulmate that is drawing you into leaving out your real life partner/family.. Simply stop playing is NOT going to solve your problems.

When these things present themselves they need to be delt with.
Stopping playing for a while till you take care of it may be part of the Plan. It is NOT The Answer.

All these situations are little blockade flags about oneself. One can choose to guard them for dear life, randomly, while other areas of more importance get taken over. It's the black ship Pointing at ye.. A signal to do some Admiraling about you, who you are. What choices you are making. Find the root infiltrator and hang it from the nearest skelly scaffod.

Running away, pretending it has nothing to do with You and Your choices, blaming the game, your partner, your job..
Is like a kid thinking he can get the cookies from the cookie jar, when no one is looking, without any repercussions, who is surprised when he gets caught.

When ye fall off a horse the best thing to do is get back on and try again.

Stop using the game as an excuse to abuse.
Ask yourself what Pay Off you are getting that makes it worth while to hold on to your reactions.

That's one of the wonderful things about this game.. It's a condensed fast forward of How, Who, Where and What YOU are in Your Life right now.

It's a great BIG mirror..
No matter what role ye think ye playing!

The Push and Pull..Yin and Yang.. Black and White.. Good and Evil ..Dark and Light..

Balance, Challenge, Opportunity..all Stress full when the cup is always half empty.
Wildsrose Of:
Cerulean, Meridian & Emerald

The Titan. The Kraken.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by REJBELLS at Nov 10, 2010 3:01:05 AM]
[Nov 10, 2010 2:59:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates