• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 22
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7217 times and has 21 replies Next Thread
Afkk

Breast Cancer awareness month Reply to this Post

Hey guys, so I have this idea for next years Breast cancer awareness month (October). I think this should be a small even on Puzzle Pirates because girls (and men!) need to be aware of the symptoms and generally more aware of the disease. Worldwide, 458,000 women died from breast cancer in 2008. The prognosis is so much better if you detect it early! So I propose that all October in addition to the other Halloween etc events, be Breast Cancer awareness month on Puzzle Pirates, where Pink looped ribbons will be sold at the Palace Shoppe much cheaper (around 500 poes? affordable for all pirates) with a message about simply being aware of breast cancer, maybe also the cancer research website. The poes made from selling the Pink looped ribbons will be totalled up, changed to dubloons and maybe the value in money should be given to a cancer charity (i don't know which one yet). This is all a very vague idea of mine but I will develop it into much more detail once I get a bit of feedback, so what do you guys think?
[Nov 3, 2010 11:01:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Freaks87

Re: Breast Cancer awareness month Reply to this Post

I think this would be great but changing the price of looped ribbons, and just one colour ribbon is a big change and can easily be refused. I would suggest asking people to volunteer to buy a bunch and give them out in tournys and stuff.
[Nov 3, 2010 11:28:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Afkk

I think this would be great but changing the price of looped ribbons, and just one colour ribbon is a big change and can easily be refused. I would suggest asking people to volunteer to buy a bunch and give them out in tournys and stuff.

I think that's a really good idea, instead of simply selling them during Breast cancer awareness month, there should instead be lot's of tourneys with the pink ribbons given out as prizes! I'm also not sure who or how many would volunteer to give out the ribbons as it would cost a hefty amount to just give away 2k trinkets..hmm...
[Nov 3, 2010 11:35:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Freaks87

I think that's a really good idea, instead of simply selling them during Breast cancer awareness month, there should instead be lot's of tourneys with the pink ribbons given out as prizes! I'm also not sure who or how many would volunteer to give out the ribbons as it would cost a hefty amount to just give away 2k trinkets..hmm...

Not everyone has to volunteer, if they want to raise awarness even 1 or 2 could help. I would be happy to help with what I can and Im sure more people will be happy to help. Maybe people could donate prizes or whatever they can and they can be given away to raise awarness. I would suggest before getting this all sorted get a tally of the rough amount of people who will donate stuff on each ocean. It doesnt matter if some are less than others, some might donate some on the day who dont go on the forums. I think this could be great if people are willing to help.
[Nov 3, 2010 11:47:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Afkk

Guys, we are now accepting donations for Breast Cancer awareness month next year on Puzzle Pirates! Contact Vampiregirl or Freaks for information or to make any donation, it could be a blank Pink ribbon, or poes FOR Pink ribbons! And also any quotes, we have lot's of ideas but we need more! We need as many people as possible to spread the word about this event, and we also have the idea of broadcasts during the months, and also lot's of tournaments! Just need to get the OM's on board and we're on the way to an awesome Breast Cancer awareness month on Puzzle Pirates 2011!
[Nov 3, 2010 12:25:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

As you're still 11 months away, I'd suggest not collecting actual donations just yet, in case you end up not using them for an unforeseen reason. Get people to post if they're willing to help in any way, and then contact them nearer the time.
[Nov 4, 2010 2:39:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Afkk

Okay so the plan is for the next few months to just get some names written down of any people who would be happy to volunteer to help out in the event, and also donate a few ribbons (if they wish) so talk to Vampiregirl or Freaks to get your name down/donate/info :)
[Nov 4, 2010 11:13:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Afkk

Me and Freaks are touched by all the donations so far! We've filled one case guys! We currently have 45 ribbons, thanks to everyone who has donated so far, we're hoping for this to continue! 8-)
[Nov 4, 2010 1:50:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fattony91

I'd be happy to help. I'm sure I could rack up a few ribbons for you guys, maybe some more volunteers too.
----------------------------------------
Substrate on all oceans and 1337 forum bandit
[Nov 5, 2010 4:26:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Freaks87

Thank you! I will try and find you in game. If anyone else wants to put there name down for volunteers or donations (doesnt have to be now) then let me or Vampiregirl now and we can always contact you later on.

Edit: We are looking for people to help on Sage and Hunter.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Freaks87 at Nov 5, 2010 7:07:36 AM]
[Nov 5, 2010 6:52:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Zfuzzy

I can help aswell, but only on Malachite ;O (I can donate in spring timeish)
Mrodd of Viridian :)
[Nov 5, 2010 7:59:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Codefish8

Breast Cancer

Poker PoE and Doubloons out yer purse and PLEASE get donating and ribbon buying.

However, I seriously think OOO should donate real money. 5% of the total monetary value of all doubloon purchases in October 2011 to a leading Breast Cancer Charity and publish it - would be great PR.

Being aware is one thing, acting on it .... come on OOO a company your size could do something !

Perhaps, at the very least we could have a pink ocean for a day or so ?

Ohhellyes: Dark Seas
SO: I-N-K
Flag: Cuppa Time
[Nov 5, 2010 3:09:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

However, I seriously think OOO should donate real money. 5% of the total monetary value of all doubloon purchases in October 2011 to a leading Breast Cancer Charity and publish it - would be great PR.

Being aware is one thing, acting on it .... come on OOO a company your size could do something !

I strongly disagree with the concept that OOO should donate that sort of percentage of income for a single charity (group), particularly on the say-so of a single player.

However, speaking as an organiser of multiple meet-ups where we have been the beneficiaries of great generosity from OOO, as well as a one-time buyer in a PoE auction for real items which I had sent to their offices, I do agree that real-life actions of generosity, whether for charity or friendship, are worthwhile in our online communities.

IF (and only if) OOO is interested in playing the charity "card", then it should not be just them, but rather the player community that wants it, and is willing to participate, both in events such as this (the awareness part) and the giving itself.

On the assumption that OOO considers all doubloons equally valuable, whatever price they are bought at, and can do an equivalent for "a month of subscription" somehow, then some sort of system could be created (via GD) where players could give to the "charity of the month", with OOO able to boost player donations (for the PR aspect). For example:

"We'll double your doubloon"

But don't expect it without massive community support.
[Nov 5, 2010 4:58:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

Normally Three Rings does cool stuff I approve of, such as using open source and Unix, and being in San Francisco, and having cool customer service, and putting out awesome games, but in the area of breast cancer prevention I have a major issue. I would strenuously object, and reconsider doubloon purchases, if the charity were not chosen properly. The #1 largest foundation for breast cancer prevention and research donates money to support Planned Parenthood, and embryonic stem cell research. These are both abortion institutions, and I cannot condone the taking of innocent human life whatever the end result may be. The ends cannot justify the means here. I am a Catholic and I feel strongly about this.

Obviously, breast cancer awareness is a noble cause. I am a great supporter of this, but I urge everyone, especially Christians who respect the dignity of human life, to carefully consider where your donations go when supporting prevention and research.
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Nov 5, 2010 5:06:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

I am a Catholic and I feel strongly about this.

You refer to the charities as "abortion institutions". Abortion is not a very nice thing. Unfortunately for you, I feel slightly more strongly about the issue than you.

You see, I strongly believe that your pope Benedict, and your mother Teresa too, aren't very nice people. I don't blame them; they are only as human as you or I. But your pope has been covering up for paedophiles for a very long time, and your religion's best-known saint enjoyed letting people suffer, despite taking massive collections.

Just as my previous post was that we should not tell OOO to give (part of) their income to a charity, this post is that we should not tell them what NOT to give to. Because there will always be "strenuous objections", especially if we allow each religious sect to raise them.

In summary, you derailed with religion. Please take your religious biases as far away from here as you can, and let those who are more invested in the thread rerail it.

Also, I have a 1 inch lump in my left moob. It's nothing serious, but I'm aware of it.
[Nov 5, 2010 5:47:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

Bullcannon, this isn't about my personal religion, it's about the taking of innocent human life, who my Holy Father Benedict and my Blessed Teresa of Calcutta have worked tirelessly to defend those lives. Regardless of their faults or the sins of others who happen to share the same institution, abortion is a terrible evil, arguably a bit more evil than sexual abuse, and neither has any place in a civilized society. So take your ad hominem derails as far away from here as you can. I am now fully invested in this thread, due to my dedication to the cause of breast cancer, and my dedication against the cause of killing innocents. Thanks.

Let me put it this way. I'm sure you have lied, cheated, or stolen something before. I know I have. Everyone does. That makes you a sinner. I'm sure someone in your family, your school, and your place of employment has lied, cheated or stolen. That makes them human. Am I right, then, to call you or your family worthless because they are thieves and liars? Am I right to say all your good work is null because you are a sinner? Don't you think it's possible for people to have both a good and bad nature, that all things are in balance? I think it is fair for me to state my opinions about where donations go. I think it is fair to me to spread the word to people who don't know. I am sure that many well-meaning Christians donate and work for large breast cancer charities without even considering the abortion perspective. I hope to be a voice of reason for them. I don't care about atheists, apostates and abortionists who hate the Church because of what the sinners in the Church did in the past. You're not the people I am trying to reach.

And about Mother Teresa , Sedna and I are curious, please provide a citation that says she did anything less than care selflessly for the poor, sick and oppressed. We're stumped by that one.
[Edit 3 times, last edit by LJAmethyst at Nov 5, 2010 6:37:11 PM]
[Nov 5, 2010 6:17:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
stowaway1693

Not to rain on the parade here, but I think instead of arguing for or against the merits of abortion or religion, one should take a step back and realize that at the base of the argument is that making a donation to a specific charity can also have religious and/or political ramifications that may put OOO in a bad light with some, or even a majority, of their customers.

This isn't the place to discuss your issues with one person's religion or another person's values. This is about raising breast cancer awareness, and I'm sorry but your argument does nothing to raise my awareness about the situation.

If OOO is interested in doing so, and can find a non-political and non-religious way of donating funds to research, great, but let's leave that up to them, shall we?
Sisqi

Midnight- now in Phresh Phoenix Phlavour

[Nov 5, 2010 6:50:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

Agreed, it's all a hypothetical, this wasn't even rumored to be a real thing as far as Three Rings donating, and since this is Events Workshop and not Parley or Shore Leave, I think it's wise for us to drop this line of posting and let cooler heads prevail.
[Nov 5, 2010 6:58:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Afkk

Can I just say when I came up with this idea, these kinds of debates weren't in my mind, this is about raising awareness of breast cancer and having a few fun tourneys and making new friends in the process! Please don't preach to us, I'm sure your religion makes you feel happy in yourself and gives you a sense of righteousness, and thats fine, but this isn't the place to do it and I'd really appreciate it if you used this thread in the way I intended and just gave me your opinions ABOUT THE EVENT. Can I also add the event is 11 months away therefore we have more than enough time to satisfy everyones views on what charity should receive the money. What I really wanted to say was that we now have 92 ribbons!!! Thank you so much everyone who has donated me and Freaks are really touched, let's hope this amazing trend continues!
[Nov 6, 2010 12:48:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Afkk

We can't please everyone, we can't ensure everyones beliefs and religions are taken into view all of the time, when we eventually do pick the charity, not everyone will be happy with it, but you have to consider the GOOD that chairities do, which is what we will be doing, not just focusing on the aspects that some people do not like, for example donations to family planning clinics. Please respect that while we want everyones input, we can't please everyone, all we can do is try.
[Nov 6, 2010 4:05:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Afkk

We've just reached 104 ribbons :) Thanks so much guys "Mine the darkness: see by the path you leave behind."
[Nov 6, 2010 6:05:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fattony91

Thank you! I will try and find you in game. If anyone else wants to put there name down for volunteers or donations (doesnt have to be now) then let me or Vampiregirl now and we can always contact you later on.

Edit: We are looking for people to help on Sage and Hunter.

I'm in Hunter and Sage. We need to talk. PM me with any times you can possibly get online?
Substrate on all oceans and 1337 forum bandit
[Nov 8, 2010 6:14:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates