• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 4
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1907 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
Holy_Fire

Charity Event Blockade Reply to this Post

Ahoy fellow pirates,

I am working on a charity event I like to try on this game, I am hoping to raise some money for a good cause. However, I would like your help in working out possible problems that could occur. Please look over what I have created so far and give back some helpful advise. Also if you spot any grammar errors feel free to fix them.

Proposed event idea: http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Fighting_for_a_Cure#My_Pledge

Few notes:
*All prizes are already in my pirates hands and are good to go, no need of outside help on that.
*I haven't spoken to anyone at Three Rings about running a charity event on their game, I hope to speak to them soon.
*Also I have never run an event blockade and could use some advices on how best to due so.

Thank ye for yer time!
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Holy_Fire at Oct 22, 2010 10:44:28 AM]
[Oct 22, 2010 10:44:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Re: Charity Event Blockade Reply to this Post

I would send in a permission request sooner rather than later, since if it's a no due to company policy, better to know now.

Event blockades:
- If it's on a weekend, you need to have the event set at the island two weeks ahead. I'd petition as soon as your event date is set just to be safe.
- Sloops only have an influence ring of 1, which means they need to be physically on top of flags to score a point. That means that if one ship is contesting a point, no other sloop can also be contesting it. This might be a deliberate choice to increase the overall number of points won to increase the donations?
- Generally it's better to have a one-round event, so that everybody is there at the same time and has other people to play with. What I've seen happen with multi-round events is that people show up one or two ships at a time, and don't have much to do. But set the event blockade itself to 2 rounds, so that you have a second shot in case something major goes wrong in the set-up.
- It's useful to have everybody job into your to use the /jcrew chat for event instructions.
- The points scored in the round disappears from the board quite quickly, so grab a screenie fast.
- If you have extra sloops or charting ability, it would be nice to offer charting services for people to bring their sloop there, or to have ships that cross-ocean players could borrow to go in on.

Good luck!
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Oct 22, 2010 11:01:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Holy_Fire

I would send in a permission request sooner rather than later, since if it's a no due to company policy, better to know now.

Event blockades:
- If it's on a weekend, you need to have the event set at the island two weeks ahead. I'd petition as soon as your event date is set just to be safe.
- Sloops only have an influence ring of 1, which means they need to be physically on top of flags to score a point. That means that if one ship is contesting a point, no other sloop can also be contesting it. This might be a deliberate choice to increase the overall number of points won to increase the donations?
- Generally it's better to have a one-round event, so that everybody is there at the same time and has other people to play with. What I've seen happen with multi-round events is that people show up one or two ships at a time, and don't have much to do. But set the event blockade itself to 2 rounds, so that you have a second shot in case something major goes wrong in the set-up.
- It's useful to have everybody job into your to use the /jcrew chat for event instructions.
- The points scored in the round disappears from the board quite quickly, so grab a screenie fast.
- If you have extra sloops or charting ability, it would be nice to offer charting services for people to bring their sloop there, or to have ships that cross-ocean players could borrow to go in on.

Good luck!

What ship setting would provide for the most points in a single round?

If I job everyone into my crew can they still use their own vessel? And will the blockade score them under my crew's name our their own?

Also how does it show scores, by crew name, vessels, captain?

If I am just sitting in the safe zone not doing any duties will I still be able to see the point scores on my screen?

Thanks for the helpful advice, I would have replied sooner but this event at the moment is on the back burn on things I am doing, but soon I will be able to focus on it more.
[Oct 27, 2010 5:35:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SirCarl67

[quote]

What ship setting would provide for the most points in a single round?[/quote]

That depends on how many people join. Up to a certain threshold the number of of points increases with the number of participants, unless it is sloops only, after that point as more and more flags are contested the number of points will decrease. Even with sloops a crowded board menas there are so many collisions many flags will be uncontested. If you restrict the event to certain ships you can move around the number of participants required for to maximise the number fo points. The number of people joining depends on your prizes amongst other things.

[quote]
If I job everyone into my crew can they still use their own vessel? And will the blockade score them under my crew's name our their own?[/quote]
If they are jobbed into your crew they can still use their own vessels, as long as they do so they will score points for their FLAG (You should set the blockade to ignore alliances so each flag is its own team, otherwise a flag can not enter if one of its allies has already done so. It is not possible to have crews competiing against other crews in the same flag.

[quote]Also how does it show scores, by crew name, vessels, captain?[/quote]

Scores are shown by flag if the blockade is set to ignore alliances and by alliance web (giving the name of the first flag in each alliance web)

[quote]If I am just sitting in the safe zone not doing any duties will I still be able to see the point scores on my screen?[/quote]
yes

Thanks for the helpful advice, I would have replied sooner but this event at the moment is on the back burn on things I am doing, but soon I will be able to focus on it more.[/quote]

I would recommend entering an event blockade before running the event, spend some time sitting in the safe zone seeing what you have access to. Take part as a navver to see what the participents will be doing.

You should also read the yppedia.

You should also consider whether you want to enforce a pay cap and if so at what level. Too low a cap and teams may struggle to get jobbers. High or unlimited caps may result is people deciding not t o enter becasue they can't afford the pay. If you are giving away 10 coloured familiars then people might be willing to pay their jobbers more than if the total prize pool is 10k.
Apollo tells ye "If you're ok for me to do one [bake-off], I'll go with that."
[Oct 28, 2010 4:06:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates