• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 98
Posts: 98   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 30899 times and has 97 replies Next Thread
Galene
OceanMaster

Costumed Corsairs - Themed Portrait Contest - Win a deck of cards! [WINNERS ANNOUNCED] Reply to this Post

As Halloween quickly approaches, I imagine many of you will be eager to dress up in clever costumes to celebrate.
I've always enjoyed seeing the creative themed portraits players come up with this time of year so I'd like to bribe you with a small token to encourage you to share!

Mission
Share your Halloween themed portrait.

Deadline
Entries must be posted in the entry thread by 11:59pm on October 31st, 2010

Prizes
I'm not going to make myself try to pick ordered prize placements this time, I'm simply going to select a few favorites.
Winners will receive a RL deck of Puzzle Pirates playing cards and a free 2-person portrait with myself.
I'll select a total of 15 winners with at least 2 winners from each of the main six English oceans.
Oceans included : Midnight, Cobalt, Malachite, Hunter, Sage and Viridian
Opal and Jade members are welcome to enter as well for a chance a the extra 3 global prizes available.
Honorable mentions will receive various tiny random tokens of appreciation in game, depending on participation.

Prize Claim
Winners of honorable mentions do not need to do anything to claim prizes. I will award deliver them automatically before posting judging results.
Winners of the prize package deck of cards/free portrait will receive a forum PM from Galene confirming winning status.
You will have one week to respond with 3 different times you are available for portrait before the end of November.
Unless opting out of the real life cards, you will also need to provide a valid mailing address.
Yes, we will ship internationally!

How To Enter
  • Theme a portrait in game.
  • Commission portrait.
  • Post entry in the entry thread, both as a link and as an image. I'll have an example in the first post in the entry thread. Your entry post must include:
    • Your pirate name and ocean.
    • Your favorite color in game (possible honorable mentions)
    • A link to your portrait.
    • An image of your portrait.
    • A note "no cards" if you do not want to have a deck of cards sent to you if you win.
    • You might also wish to include a short description of your theme or explain any symbolism contained.
  • Get the links to your portrait, both URL link and IMG.
    • Go to your portrait gallery, and click on the portrait of yourself that you wish to enter.
    • Get the URL link to that specific portrait. This is in the address bar.
      See: How to post a website link
      Example: Saw (Galene) V
    • Right click your mouse on the portrait and click "Copy Image Location" so you can post as an image in your entry post as well.
      See : How to post an image on forums
Judging
Judging is mostly about how well each element in the portrait fits together with the theme you have chosen.
Possible elements are not limited to but will likely consider such things as:
  • Costume
  • Composition
  • Portrait title
  • Portrait caption
  • Location name
  • Poses
  • Items held
  • Facial expressions
  • Creativity of the theme
  • Overall appeal
Rules
  • Yes, you do have to have an actual portrait to enter, not merely a screenshot.
  • Yes, it must be a portrait you are in, not a portrait another user has taken.
  • It can be any size portrait with as few or as many pirates as you like.
    However, each portrait may only be used once.
    If you are submitting a group portrait, make sure the others in the portrait know your intentions.
  • In cases where the portrait is claimed in multiple entries, the pirate who holds the original portrait will be the entry counted.
  • Portrait must be dated during October 2010. Portraits taken prior to that will not be considered.
  • You do not have to receive a card prize to enter, but no substitutions will be made.
    You can receive the free portrait or honorable mentions without having to accept the cards.
    We will ship internationally.
  • You are welcome to enter as many times as you like on as many oceans as you are able, but each entry requires it's own original portrait.
Q & A
This space reserved for questions that come up in the thread and their answers. Please make sure you read this over before submitting your entry.
  • Portrait prizes will be awarded only on the ocean competed on (whatever ocean the winning portrait was taken on).
  • The colors you are selecting are a preference, not a guarantee. Only standard colors are available, not special colors.
  • Entires may be posted as one or separately.

Edits:

1. Para leer el concurso en español da clic aquí .
2. Added the bit about including a description of your theme with your entry.
3. Added 1-3 under Q & A.

EDIT: WINNERS ANNOUNCED!
Winners Posted
----------------------------------------
Galene
(12:24:59 PM) Oceanus: Hahaha ur ded on teh grond
[Edit 5 times, last edit by Galene at Mar 13, 2011 4:50:48 AM]
[Oct 20, 2010 7:11:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/galene/ [Link]  Go to top 
Yours_Truely

Re: Costumed Corsairs - Themed Portrait Contest - Win a deck of cards! Reply to this Post

May themes be fashioned after tv/game characters? Or will this be a whole load of copyright infringing and such?
Alicia, currently found on Hunter Ocean only.
[Oct 20, 2010 11:49:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ChaosShadou

Re: Costumed Corsairs - Themed Portrait Contest - Win a deck of cards! Reply to this Post

When making the portrait; can we use alts for it or do we have to kidnap real people to stand in?
"Milk. It keeps you safe from all satanic troll attacks."
Asterea on Sage
[Oct 20, 2010 2:23:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Galene
OceanMaster

May themes be fashioned after tv/game characters? Or will this be a whole load of copyright infringing and such?
You can theme them however you like!

When making the portrait; can we use alts for it or do we have to kidnap real people to stand in?
You can do it solo, you with other people or you with your alts. Whatever works for your theme as long as you are in the portrait!
Galene
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Galene at Oct 20, 2010 3:15:39 PM]
[Oct 20, 2010 3:14:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/galene/ [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

Aww, the forums don't show up my portrait's title properly, what a shame. Pst, if you know how to resolve it, PM me.

Nice event, must say ^^
~ Sizzly of Emerald ~
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Notsizzly at Oct 20, 2010 4:44:10 PM]
[Oct 20, 2010 4:41:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Galene
OceanMaster

Aww, the forums don't show up my portrait's title properly, what a shame. Pst, if you know how to resolve it, PM me.

Nice event, must say ^^
I don't know how to resolve it (or how you got it to do that in the portrait), but no matter. I'll be using the link to the portrait for judging purposes, as the link shows title, caption and location and let's me verify you are actually in the portrait.

Requiring the image in your post is just so folks can peruse the entry thread to enjoy the pretty pictures :D
Galene
[Oct 21, 2010 6:52:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/galene/ [Link]  Go to top 
lord_oll

Can we do the portrait on one ocean, say Hunter, but in the unlikely event that I win, will I be able to have the 2 person portrait taken on Crimson??
Crimson Sloop Races!

Okaw on Hunter and Crimson
Darkollie on Cobalt
Okaw or Darkollie on the other oceans when I occasionally visit.
[Oct 21, 2010 11:54:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
maiooch

Id like a clarification please:
For some of the entries I have seen posted already some are putting colors such as Night Blue or Sea Green...I was assuming this was a standard color scheme (excluding atlantean/indigo/night blue as well as the LE colors)?
Rhodanite of Cerulean formerly of Midnight
Queen of Bedlam
[Oct 22, 2010 7:15:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patriciu

nice :)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Patriciu at Oct 23, 2010 3:23:58 AM]
[Oct 23, 2010 3:23:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pixulayted

For some of the entries I have seen posted already some are putting colors such as Night Blue or Sea Green...I was assuming this was a standard color scheme (excluding atlantean/indigo/night blue as well as the LE colors)?

Nothing about colors mentioned in the rules, so I assume it's fine. Just to be sure, wait for Galene clarification.
[Oct 24, 2010 2:51:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

When we have more than one entry, should all the entrys be posted in one single post or preferrably each one individually or does it matter at all?
~ Sizzly of Emerald ~
[Oct 27, 2010 12:12:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tilinka

Curses! I can't enter my Hare Hare Yukai Apollo portrait!

But I can dress up as my favoritest character ever!
Ahem.
Tilinka, Emerald
Perilous Puppet
Avatar Thread | Finished Artsy Stuff | Sketches
[Edit 1 times, last edit by tilinka at Oct 27, 2010 4:59:20 PM]
[Oct 27, 2010 4:58:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.perilouspuppets.com/blog    3569427 [Link]  Go to top 
Galene
OceanMaster

Can we do the portrait on one ocean, say Hunter, but in the unlikely event that I win, will I be able to have the 2 person portrait taken on Crimson??
My apologies on a delayed response here-I needed to take a few days to think this one over.

I don't have any personal objections but with winners somewhat limited by oceans, I'm concerned this would encourage players to compete on an ocean they perceive to have less competition, while meaning to receive prizes elsewhere. It also feels safer to keep with the precedent set by most events in that unless specifically stated otherwise, prizes are available only on the ocean the competition occurred on.

So short answer - no. Your portrait will be awarded on the ocean you competed on.

I thought this went without saying, but apparently not. Special colors limited to specific settings, Cursed Isles, Atlantis, Haunted Seas, Monthly rewards, Limited edition, Sea Green, etc. are not items we're intended to give out in any other method. Unless you specifically see it stated in an event that these are available, you should assume they are not, as it would be a pretty rare exception to be allowed to offer these outside of their intended settings.

If you posted a special color, you're welcome to change your preference now, but it doesn't matter a great deal here. Most of the items offered for consolation prizes here will probably not have a color that is selectable, I merely wanted to know a preference just in case!

When we have more than one entry, should all the entrys be posted in one single post or preferrably each one individually or does it matter at all?
It's not required that they be in one post. They're being considered separately so it's fine if they're posted separately (together is fine, too!)
Galene
[Oct 28, 2010 9:56:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/galene/ [Link]  Go to top 
Icebergg

i just placed my 3 entries up.... hopefully one of them wins!!...lol

good luck to all!

:)
~TEMPER

Emerald Ocean

"When the grass is cut, the snakes will show..."

[Oct 30, 2010 3:35:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
makalintal

Event ends, in like, 20 minutes exactly 24 hours or so!

Good Luck to all!

I hope atleast 3 of my entries win!

(Although the portrait with Galene is the one I'm willing to take instead of cards, but both is better!)

lol gl!

EDIT: I fail, yes.
°ßonifacio- Born in Sage°
[Edit 1 times, last edit by makalintal at Oct 30, 2010 11:52:53 PM]
[Oct 30, 2010 11:35:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/myprofile [Link]  Go to top 
uppy_pay

Inspired by the comp... The Simpsons

Patty, Selma, Maggie, Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa :D
Kattles, where it counts. (Cerulean)
[Nov 12, 2010 7:31:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stacyhaight

Does anyone know when or if they have announced the winners for this comp yet? It was my first comp that I entered and not sure if I'm looking in the right place or not. Thanks!

Skybell on Viridian
[Nov 13, 2010 10:40:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joandart

Does anyone know when or if they have announced the winners for this comp yet? It was my first comp that I entered and not sure if I'm looking in the right place or not. Thanks!

Skybell on Viridian

Usually, the results will be posted in the announcement thread- right here! The title will probably be changed to say so. :)
Herowena of Cerulean
Still Sleeping With The Fishes

[Nov 13, 2010 11:04:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Freaks87

Skybell on Viridian

When they have finished judging they will be posted here.
[Nov 13, 2010 11:05:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stacyhaight

[Nov 13, 2010 1:53:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
24V

The winners normally get a PM saying you're a winner before its posted here.
Rampage on Sage Emerald

I don't do many avatars now days but if you want to see some of my favorites click Here
[Nov 14, 2010 10:25:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jezzebel

The winners normally get a PM saying you're a winner before its posted here.

I've won or placed in several forum contests, and I've never had a PM from the event organizer announcing my win. The only PMs I've gotten are friends congratulating me.
Redjenny, Now merged with Health Nutz
Thebloggess wrote: 
A hug is like a strangle you haven't finished yet!

[Nov 14, 2010 11:16:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lightmaster7

Re: Costumed Corsairs - Themed Portrait Contest - Win a deck of cards! [IN JUDGING] Reply to this Post

Prize Claim
Winners of honorable mentions do not need to do anything to claim prizes. I will award deliver them automatically before posting judging results.
Winners of the prize package deck of cards/free portrait will receive a forum PM from Galene confirming winning status.
You will have one week to respond with 3 different times you are available for portrait before the end of November.
Unless opting out of the real life cards, you will also need to provide a valid mailing address.
Yes, we will ship internationally!

Sxygrl on Sage Emerald.
SO of The BootLeggers
Current Queen of The End

[Nov 14, 2010 12:46:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jezzebel

Re: Costumed Corsairs - Themed Portrait Contest - Win a deck of cards! [IN JUDGING] Reply to this Post

Oh, indeed. I forgot there were real-life prizes for this one. In that case yes, there are PMs so that you don't need to broadcast your mailing address across the forum.
Thebloggess wrote: 

[Nov 14, 2010 10:04:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stacyhaight

Soo, I was kinda wondering if maybe this contest was forgotten about? LOL
[Nov 22, 2010 5:07:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
24V

Soo, I was kinda wondering if maybe this contest was forgotten about? LOL

me 2 >.< halloween was some time ago :O
Rampage on Sage Emerald

I don't do many avatars now days but if you want to see some of my favorites click Here
[Nov 23, 2010 5:23:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cajuninferno

yes, but the contest ended last monday, the 15th... and sometimes the om's take a week or more to decide. one contest i entered took a month i think before results were posted :/
Lissaboo of Cobalt
Senior Officer & Bait of serenity
Owner of Lissaboo's Furnishing Stall on Kirin
[Nov 23, 2010 6:24:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stacyhaight

Actually it ended October 31 :) The one that ended the 15 and has already been judged was the portrait backround's for december :)
[Nov 23, 2010 8:01:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Agomic

I know that it's not a good feeling when you have to wait for the result of the contest you're in. But just make sure that OMs won't forget, maybe they're too busy; time is limit but there are many contests to judge. (i was in a contest that announced result nearly 2 months after the deadline :)
This may be the reason for the portrait contest to be judged first: it's in the develop plan of the game, you know, they have a schedule for portrait days. And portrait contests are judged by the artists, not the OMs ( not definitely sure about this )
Anyway, be a little more patient and believe in them, they will get the result as soon as possible ^_^
Agomicc on Meridian

[Nov 23, 2010 8:34:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    nh_agomic_disorder12 [Link]  Go to top 
Jezzebel

1. OMs are not necessarily contest judges. Most times judges are other players who do not enter.

2. A month or two is on the short end. I remember entering one that went 9 months and one that went nearly a year. The more entries, the longer it takes.
Thebloggess wrote: 

[Nov 23, 2010 10:55:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 98   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates