• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 84
Posts: 84   Pages: 3   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 12155 times and has 83 replies Next Thread
wonkothes

Re: Ragnarok or simple greed?

There are quite a few places to go to for advice, or help. I have been the Admiralf for quite a few blockades this summer. There are several others I know of who have lent their experience and knowledge to flags new to the blockade board. Ask for help. Look at the "Midnight Blockade History" on the Yppedia, and pick some of the flags on the list and ask their royals for advice. Group together to pool resources. One pirate making 30 poe per labor hour can make 7500 poe per week. Several pillages a week of an hour or 2 can make a pirate 50k per week.

Its not a 1 week, or 1 month endeavor, but 20 pirates working together for several months, can come up with quite a large warchest. 3 months at the low labor rate I mentioned above from 20 pirates would raise nearly 2 million poe.
----------------------------------------
Wonkots Governor of Wrasse
Cleaver wrote: 
Your new Penguin Overlords will be along shortly to begin the long and 'difficult' process of 'correction'."

[Oct 18, 2010 2:20:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Momma_Wolf

The actual cost of the blockade may turn out to be less than 500 K, and often does, however, due to game mechanics you will need multiples of this to post a reasonable pay offer, let alone attempt to match a pay war, should one happen. Yes, the poe is returned to the person who posted the pay war, after the blockade is over, but you still have to have it to POST the offer.

Requesting no pay war is no guarantee of getting that request honored either, so I'd recommend being prepared, even if you think you have an agreement.
Mommawolf, lurking on most oceans
Captain, Blackwolf Marauders of Midnight, now Cerulean
Queen, Victory Raiders of Midnight, now Cerulean

cmdrzoom said:

Anyone may demand answers of the gods.
Getting them is another matter.

[Oct 19, 2010 9:02:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

That is true; however, escrow poe can be borrowed too, and pay wars don't have to be matched (not matching pay wars can actually be a pretty good long-term tactic to break down a stronger opponent, by making them spend more than you for each and every blockade). We used to borrow millions from Seraph's Nightmare to use as the escrow for most of our blockades, since they kept a lot of money on hand, and we funded things as we went. (Don't be scared by the word millions, that was from when there were 250 jobbers a side!) Same with stock - make sure you have as much as you will actually consume in the blockade, and borrow the surplus to stock the ships from friends, it'll still be there after the blockade. Likewise with ships. I don't think we ever had to borrow ships to blockade, but we'd borrow some from friends anyways all the time to avoid the long-ass floats, and personally I've loaned out blockade fleets at least 30 or 40 times for both sinkers and non-sinkers.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Oct 19, 2010 10:14:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kimbers108

Why do some people seem to have an issue with that saving up thing? Seriously, you can get anything on the game if you just save up. Want millions? Puzzle alot, spend none. Even being unsubbed it is possible to make PoE. Heck, I made money and I'm unsubbed and hardly ever on. Flags have more than 1 person in them usually so what is the issue?

Seriously though, if you have problems you solve it by blockading. To blockade you need to work hard and save the money or you will fail. And it is stock too. And ships. And time. It takes an investment that I don't think someone who just wants to complain and whine will go through the effort doing.

On a side note, I wonder how long it will take me to save up a million. I do have a spending habit (I like limited pets and stuff) and am unsubbed right now, plus with school I have hardly any time to be on.
Kimmy

I play a few oceans :)

[Oct 19, 2010 12:05:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
omegadyn

TO isn't greedy. I am. I mean just this morning I told a begging greenie to go to Viridian, I'm an elitist jerk and wasn't about to share my poe.
Omegadyn

Cronus says, "Luck is always better than having a clue."
[Oct 19, 2010 3:26:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kimbers108

TO isn't greedy. I am. I mean just this morning I told a begging greenie to go to Viridian, I'm an elitist jerk and wasn't about to share my poe.

You're mean. I tell them no and let them know how to earn some PoE.

And please don't send them to Viridian, I'm playing there while unsubbed more often and my head wants to explode already.
Kimmy

[Oct 19, 2010 4:12:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AlfMason

On a side note, I wonder how long it will take me to save up a million. I do have a spending habit (I like limited pets and stuff) and am unsubbed right now, plus with school I have hardly any time to be on.

I made a similar experiment a few months ago. Back then I got from character creation to 100k in a week, unsubbed, no high-stakes wagers.

Of course, I had lots of time to waste at the time.
Mullins on Midnight, Stinks on Ice

Have a problem with me in Game Design? Read this

I'd call him a sadistic, hippophilic necrophile, but that would be beating a dead horse.
[Oct 19, 2010 4:46:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
vixensmom

When I made this post I was egar to see what would be said and how it would come out. I was a tad disapointed to see that so few was willing to stand up. (Not sure if it was they wasnt willing or just not willing to post it openly for all to break on) In the first couple days of the post it recieved exactly what I expected... a lot of "put up or shut up" talk done by those already in places to be able to "put up". However I have fallowed it now for awile and I will have to admit that I am very happy that at least some of those in those spots are willing to help. (Even if it is only in advice)

Now my question to you I guess would be ... How far are the likes of those standing there giving advice and claiming to want nothing other then blocks (not just TO) willing to go to "make a little fun" on the ocean?

Would they be willing to do things like help fund a small flag with no blocks under their belt? Or perhaps even lend a naver or 2 to a flag intresting in blocking? Or would it all be like what has happened many times in the past and a small flag killing themselfs and trying it just to find the so called rich pirates play dirty tricks like loading ships with alts to control point? (not just you harr but others as well)

I am also a little new to some of this and was wanting to know if it acualy is possable to do things like "rebuilding" comods on islands. I know I could go look it up myself but I dont have time for that kind of research. If it is why not try giving back to the ocean in those ways on more islands. I am sure a lot of pirates would aid in any way possable to clean up islands like XI and Endurance if it ment it would spawn again. Or is the "planting of trees" in those cases simply something pretty to look at?

To TO:
I have also wondered why not turn over 1 island at a time to the BK and seek out flags that want to free it? This would leave you to move on to other islands while still creating blocky fun on the ocean. It would also be easier on the shop owners of the ocean hearby making it easier for the small flags to build their poe in those ways to. Not to mention it would be easier on your pockets as well.

I think I have covered most of my thoughts for now. Wether I am right or wrong is to be debated I guess but it is the way I see things atm.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by vixensmom at Oct 20, 2010 7:16:54 PM]
[Oct 20, 2010 7:15:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lazyeyes1991

Would they be willing to do things like help fund a small flag with no blocks under their belt? Or perhaps even lend a naver or 2 to a flag intresting in blocking?

I think this point has been beaten to death. If you ask for help, your mature about it, you show that you can deal with the stresses of a blockade. Then most large flags are willing to lend out ships, stock, help and teach you most of ins and outs of blockade roles and even play a few of the key ones like admiral. And if you want blockade navers, there really is never a shortage of people willing to Nav.
Lesgreg
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Lazyeyes1991 at Oct 20, 2010 7:26:39 PM]
[Oct 20, 2010 7:25:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
IantheKorean

When I made this post I was egar to see what would be said and how it would come out. I was a tad disapointed to see that so few was willing to stand up. (Not sure if it was they wasnt willing or just not willing to post it openly for all to break on) In the first couple days of the post it recieved exactly what I expected... a lot of "put up or shut up" talk done by those already in places to be able to "put up". However I have fallowed it now for awile and I will have to admit that I am very happy that at least some of those in those spots are willing to help. (Even if it is only in advice)

Now my question to you I guess would be ... How far are the likes of those standing there giving advice and claiming to want nothing other then blocks (not just TO) willing to go to "make a little fun" on the ocean?

Would they be willing to do things like help fund a small flag with no blocks under their belt? Or perhaps even lend a naver or 2 to a flag intresting in blocking? Or would it all be like what has happened many times in the past and a small flag killing themselfs and trying it just to find the so called rich pirates play dirty tricks like loading ships with alts to control point? (not just you harr but others as well)

I am also a little new to some of this and was wanting to know if it acualy is possable to do things like "rebuilding" comods on islands. I know I could go look it up myself but I dont have time for that kind of research. If it is why not try giving back to the ocean in those ways on more islands. I am sure a lot of pirates would aid in any way possable to clean up islands like XI and Endurance if it ment it would spawn again. Or is the "planting of trees" in those cases simply something pretty to look at?

To TO:
I have also wondered why not turn over 1 island at a time to the BK and seek out flags that want to free it? This would leave you to move on to other islands while still creating blocky fun on the ocean. It would also be easier on the shop owners of the ocean hearby making it easier for the small flags to build their poe in those ways to. Not to mention it would be easier on your pockets as well.

I think I have covered most of my thoughts for now. Wether I am right or wrong is to be debated I guess but it is the way I see things atm.

You don't seem to have actually read any posts in this thread since your original post. The questions you ask have been repeatedly answered. I'm sorry you don't have time to spend a few seconds on the YPPedia looking at the commodity or island pages. This kind of stuff might be why people think you aren't interested in blockading and simply have a problem with TO or someone in the flag. Nothing you've posted comes across as particularly sincere, you just seem to be misdirecting your ignorance.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by IantheKorean at Oct 20, 2010 7:52:23 PM]
[Oct 20, 2010 7:51:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Culiford

Would they be willing to do things like help fund a small flag with no blocks under their belt? Or perhaps even lend a naver or 2 to a flag intresting in blocking?

Uh, yes? Pie and TO have said countless times that they'll lend ships for a nonsinker. And you don't have to even question whether or not the midrange-top blockade navs would come help a small flag, there's way more navs out there than spots in blockades.

Heck, I'll even lend some ships if a new flag wants to blockade, I don't have a huge number, but it'll help. Just show that you actually have some clue of what you're doing and that you're making an effort to do things properly.

Also, you get a pay cap and funds become a lot less of a problem. 200/seg costs like 500k for 5 rounds nowadays, so just get a paycap and do some fundraising pillages and you're set.

You can't rebuild commods. When they get crushed, they're gone forever. Planting trees (adding charm, it doesn't have to be just trees) is purely for aesthetic reasons.

This kind of laziness is one of the things that would be in the "not willing to put in an effort" category that would make me want to not help you blockade. Seriously, the YPPedia is right there. There's some things, like "how to bnav or VA or admiral a blockade properly" that you should ask others about, but simple stuff is what the wiki is for. When people say "I could do this, but I'm too lazy", that's a huge turn-off for skilled players wanting to help you.

Skilled players want to help people blockade. They're not going to do all the work for you.
Culliford on the Cerulean Ocean
Prince of Universe A
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Culiford at Oct 20, 2010 8:02:54 PM]
[Oct 20, 2010 8:00:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
vixensmom

You can't rebuild commods. When they get crushed, they're gone forever. Planting trees (adding charm, it doesn't have to be just trees) is purely for aesthetic

I did go read a few things on it including the 2 links on the Cnoss block intent. None of them stated clearly wether or not the charms would spawn comods or not. Thats why I asked.
[Oct 20, 2010 8:23:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

Why don't you ask Fearsumfire to fund a blockade? I understand she recently came into a few million.
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[Oct 20, 2010 9:37:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DeepNine

Vixensmom, you asked a lot of questions in your last big post. Why don't you look around? If you had, you'll quickly find the answer to them all are 'yes, yes, and yes.' There are quite a lot of people still interested in a concerted blockading effort, both for and against TO. I'm sure you'll find a lot of people with the same view as yourself that are just looking to find someone to hop aboard with, but aren't motivated enough or have the know-how to do it by themselves.

The only thing is, that means you actually need to start working for it.
Nine of Tyr's Own
Currently on loan to: Dies Irae
[Oct 20, 2010 10:32:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Uh, yes? Pie and TO have said countless times that they'll lend ships for a nonsinker.

Just a small clarification, ship loans are available for both sinking and non-sinking blockades. The usual terms on the sinkers are that the ones that go down be replaced within a reasonable time (2-3 months). That means if you win, you can borrow a fleet for non-sinking defences, and either way, you can have enough ships to use, even if your total fleet is only the size of what actually gets sunk.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Oct 20, 2010 10:38:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Donsmythe

[...]Now my question to you I guess would be ... How far are the likes of those standing there giving advice and claiming to want nothing other then blocks (not just TO) willing to go to "make a little fun" on the ocean?[...]

Blockade 101. Get un-lazy enough to look it up (Midnight Events forum) and you'll have sufficient proof that some flags do step up and try to get new flags onto the blockade board for the first time. And make it a positive experience for them. And spend millions of poe in that attempt.

Of course, that one event is a tiny drop in the bucket compared to the assistance that has been quietly rendered to various up and coming flags behind the scenes by experienced players and flags. Stuff you'll never hear about or know about. And if you did ask and were turned away, perhaps you didn't take the time to earn a little respect first or did something that caused them to lose faith in you.

Which brings me to my point:

Part of learning how to blockade is learning how to get help. No flag does it 100% on their own. When is the last time you saw a flag on this ocean win a blockade without jobbers?

This is why you should have to do some pillaging or other shipboard activity for a while as part of your blockade preparations. It's not just about collecting poe. Whether you are running the ship or just jobbing, it is a prime time to make and cement relationships with other players. You demonstrate your industry, maturity, and competence every time you step onto a ship, and the players around you do notice.

It takes time to build good relationships with real people, so it's quite likely you'll have more poe than you need for your first blockade by the time you've built the friendships you'll need to succeed. A big secret: even many of the "famous" players turn out to be really approachable and nice -- and helpful -- once you get up the nerve to talk to them. Be a good friend, and it will usually be reciprocated.
[Oct 21, 2010 12:47:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://don.yacktman.org/blog/    yackd [Link]  Go to top 
Springheel

Hey guys, I think y'all would have more luck talking to a brick wall. I think it's pretty clear that someone who'd rather write post after post of incoherent ramblings than look up a simple matter on yppedia isn't going to have their mind changed.

edit: point taken squiddy
blah blah blah
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Springheel at Oct 21, 2010 8:06:43 AM]
[Oct 21, 2010 6:07:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MrSquiddy

Can I have Ragnarok AND simple greed? I like 'em both.

It be not about the brick wall; it be about the other mates who have the same questions and might listen to the answers.

Or perhaps even lend a naver or 2 to a flag intresting in blocking? Or would it all be like what has happened many times in the past and a small flag killing themselfs and trying it just to find the so called rich pirates play dirty tricks like loading ships with alts to control point?

Although some flags have been desperate enough t' let Old Squiddy nav, most o' the time, flags have no trubble findin' top-notch navvers. And if ye want second-rate navvers who think they be top-notch, well, ye'll have t' beat them off with a stick. (Hint: If the navver takes command o' yer ship full o' yer jobbers drinkin' yer rum and thinks he be doin' ye a favor, then mebbe he doesn't lub blockades enough.)

Although ev'ry flag gets help, ye should probly concentrate on makin' sure yer own mates have chances t' do the jobs they be capable of. Blockades should be fun for the mates who be doin' the fundin', aye?

As fer killin' yerselfs, ye should expect t' get slaughtered. In multiple blockades. Green swordfighters get insta'd. Green pillagers get grappled. Why do green blockaders expect islands?

If yer flag understands that fightin' be more important than winnin', then ye can have a jolly time.

-- Squiddy, B-navver
[Oct 21, 2010 7:25:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kimbers108

Re: Can I have Ragnarok AND simple greed? I like 'em both.

Why so anti-TO? And who is being the MOST helpful should you need it? Oddly, TO.

Question is, are you going to take them up on their offer or not?

If not then kindly refrain from long rants about doing NOTHING TO RESOLVE YOUR ISSUE.
Kimmy

[Oct 21, 2010 8:54:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Icutmyself

Hey, this is turning into the opportunity I always wanted! As you may know, I've always been consumed with this burning desire to own an island. Or maybe it's just gas, who knows?

So let's do this! First I'll need a fleet loan. You said I could have that, right? Awesome. So how 'bout a stock loan/donation? Can I have that too? That'd be great...

Next, I'll need some navers, top-to-middle notch, you know who you are, shoot me a PM. Also, I'll have an Admiral/VA team (experienced, please) - I'll shoot you the ship lists and all that once I get my fleet loan. Oh, and please everyone inform me about what they're doing all the time, so I can learn.

With all that sorted who'll let me blockade them, agreeing to non-sinking and a pay cap? (can't go much higher than 20/seg, poker can be a harsh mistress)
Captain of Deathcab for Booty
King of the flag Incredible

...and so emo it hurts.
[Oct 21, 2010 9:59:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DeepNine

Sure, Icutmyself, that sounds great!

It's a sad truth, however, that even a master of delegation like yourself occasionally misses a few things. Don't worry though, we're on the ball. We've taken care of choosing the governor and picking the island to attack, so you can just sit back and enjoy the show.
Nine of Tyr's Own
Currently on loan to: Dies Irae
[Oct 21, 2010 11:56:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Icutmyself

Hey, no fair! The plan here was that I'd be governor, and get to build my own shoppe and tax the living hell out of some backwater island which has never seen the like of my splendor.

I mean, not only am I contributing the organisation (see previous post), it's also my wish to have an island of my own that motivates the whole exercise. That's gotta count for something here. Not to mention that I'll also put up roughly 20k in jobber pay. To save PoE I haven't even bought a Halloween mask yet, that's how serious I am about this.

You can't just push me to the sidelines and deny me my divinely appointed position of great high poo-bah and governor of wherever they'll honor my pay cap. WAAAAAH!!!
Captain of Deathcab for Booty
King of the flag Incredible

...and so emo it hurts.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Icutmyself at Oct 22, 2010 12:47:09 AM]
[Oct 22, 2010 12:46:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kimbers108

I do think it would be hillarious for someone to be so rich that they could just sit there and pay for their island and keep it defended....that would just be so funny I'd laugh my butt off.
Kimmy

[Oct 22, 2010 4:05:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

Hey, this is turning into the opportunity I always wanted! As you may know, I've always been consumed with this burning desire to own an island. Or maybe it's just gas, who knows?

So let's do this! First I'll need a fleet loan. You said I could have that, right? Awesome. So how 'bout a stock loan/donation? Can I have that too? That'd be great...

Next, I'll need some navers, top-to-middle notch, you know who you are, shoot me a PM. Also, I'll have an Admiral/VA team (experienced, please) - I'll shoot you the ship lists and all that once I get my fleet loan. Oh, and please everyone inform me about what they're doing all the time, so I can learn.

With all that sorted who'll let me blockade them, agreeing to non-sinking and a pay cap? (can't go much higher than 20/seg, poker can be a harsh mistress)

Tee hee. I couldn't even get something like that on Ice, where you have "semi-event" blockades every two months. Ship aid? Yep. Stock? Managed. Pay war? 500 per segment from everyone else. Any attempt at reasonable per-side limits? Nope.

20 per segment? Meh, stop playing losing poker, and you can afford better.
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Oct 24, 2010 10:09:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 84   Pages: 3   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates