• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 33
Posts: 33   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4989 times and has 32 replies Next Thread
deepxpurplex

Cos we wanna! (Intent for Byrne)

As you might be aware, it's Schopenhauer year. He's been dead for 150 years, and he was a cool dude.

As those of you who follow the glitzy world of early-19th-century German philosophy know, he burst onto the scene at the age of 25, with his doctoral dissertation On the Fourfold Root of the Principle of Sufficient Reason. So here's our hopefully sufficient fourfold reasoning for attacking Byrne.

1) It being exempt from Ragnarok makes no sense, seeing Lagniappe is now also exempt from Ragnarok.

2) We are firmly convinced that applying networked human-resource algorithms with views towards an intuitive encompassing benchmark will increase decentralized systemic contingency and using compatible contextually-based orchestration we shall hopefully achieve a pre-emptive bifurcated emulation with respect to enhanced next generation parallelism.

3) Sea cucumber.

4) It's as good a way as any to honor Sir Francis Drake finishing his circumnavigation of the Earth and celebrate Olivia Newton-John's 62nd birthday.

Of course there may be some who may not consider this sufficient, but luckily Schopenhauer and his fabulous hairdo have got our back on that.

His later work has been characterized as the Philosophy of the will (as evidenced in his main work The World as Will and Representation), so if the above reasons aren't enough for you - we're attacking Byrne because we damn well want to. Represent!

Date: Sunday, September 26th
Time: 10am Pirate Time
Pay: TBD
Jobbing Contact: Jobriot
----------------------------------------
[Kaeley of the Midnight Ocean]
[SO of GO]
[Riot Pirate]

Hypnos says, "Have fun uh, funking one another."

Poet says, "Oh, you're bnavving??"
Poet has left the vessel.

[Sep 23, 2010 12:02:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.myspace.com/beloved_loser    midnightxmurderx@sbcglobal.net    Kissinbeats [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Re: Cos we wanna! (Intent for Byrne)

Cire and Sprngweather, I am so totally not helping you this Sunday like I promised to. </3!
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Sep 23, 2010 12:06:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

top 10 intent post, y/n?
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[Sep 23, 2010 12:06:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Donsmythe

Awesome intent! :D

Even though it doesn't mention Schopenhauer expressly, I was really hoping for a link to this.

3) Sea cucumber.

Beware the streaking nudibranch!

(Yes, I know a sea slug and a sea cucumber are different animals, but...they do have their similarities..)
[Sep 23, 2010 12:46:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://don.yacktman.org/blog/    yackd [Link]  Go to top 
sprngweather

Cire and Sprngweather, I am so totally not helping you this Sunday like I promised to. </3!

Hey, I just asked for you to show up. I didn't request you job for a specific side. :P
Sprngweather & Picory
[Sep 23, 2010 1:42:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
deepxpurplex

Oh, and...

Silly words by Mullins /Sprngweather
Crude pasting by Kaeley

Sheer awesome by Riot. ;D
[SO of GO]
[Riot Pirate]

[Edit 2 times, last edit by deepxpurplex at Sep 23, 2010 2:03:46 PM]
[Sep 23, 2010 1:59:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.myspace.com/beloved_loser    midnightxmurderx@sbcglobal.net    Kissinbeats [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

1) It being exempt from Ragnarok makes no sense, seeing Lagniappe is now also exempt from Ragnarok.

Tell you what. As a simple officer, I will petition my flag to include Byrne in Ragnarok, with full 100% taxes. Satisfied?

2) We are firmly convinced that applying networked human-resource algorithms with views towards an intuitive encompassing benchmark will increase decentralized systemic contingency and using compatible contextually-based orchestration we shall hopefully achieve a pre-emptive bifurcated emulation with respect to enhanced next generation parallelism.

/me no understand.
/me get angry when I don't understand.
You don't want me to Get Angry
I Become A Real Monster When I'M ANGRY
RR-AARRGG! Smash!

<insert animated jpeg of the wall at the bottom of this post breaking, falling down into the next post. See http://psiwebcomic.com/00100a.htm and wait about 15 seconds.>
Re: Market on Scurvy Reef:
Hypnos wrote: 
I didn't realize it was such a hot forage spot until I dropped it and three pirates showed up on the island in quick succession.
And it wasn't even 9 spaces from the arrow :-).
[Sep 23, 2010 4:23:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
deepxpurplex

Tell you what. As a simple officer, I will petition my flag to include Byrne in Ragnarok, with full 100% taxes. Satisfied?

We already sent the invite to Olivia. Can't just back out on that promise of fireworks now!
[SO of GO]
[Riot Pirate]

[Sep 24, 2010 7:57:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.myspace.com/beloved_loser    midnightxmurderx@sbcglobal.net    Kissinbeats [Link]  Go to top 
chevy101

is this still happening?
[Sep 25, 2010 4:51:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
deepxpurplex

Yes indeedy. :)
[SO of GO]
[Riot Pirate]

[Sep 25, 2010 6:36:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.myspace.com/beloved_loser    midnightxmurderx@sbcglobal.net    Kissinbeats [Link]  Go to top 
wonkothes

As it hasnt been clearly stated anywhere, is there going to be a defense?
Wonkots Governor of Wrasse
Cleaver wrote: 
Your new Penguin Overlords will be along shortly to begin the long and 'difficult' process of 'correction'."

[Sep 25, 2010 11:18:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Varthlokkur

As it hasnt been clearly stated anywhere, is there going to be a defense?

Given how much TO hates to blockade....
Vistr of Innocent, of Crimson Tide
- Midnight, the grudge-holding ocean
[Sep 25, 2010 12:10:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    craigld [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Hee, yes, wonkypants, we are definitely defending. JC will be Gem.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Sep 25, 2010 3:22:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DeepNine

FINALLY
Nine of Tyr's Own
Currently on loan to: Dies Irae
[Sep 26, 2010 3:34:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HiimEric2001

Thanks so much to everyone who came out to job for us. You're all awesome.

Thanks to TO for blockading with us.
Cire
Purple Squid Brigade, Inglorious Fandango

Nemo says, "Cire has figured me out..."

[Sep 26, 2010 12:45:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

Thanks to TO for blockading with us.

For the full 12 rounds, too!
[Sep 26, 2010 12:47:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
IantheKorean

Great blockade, thanks for fun guys! =)
[Sep 26, 2010 1:01:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sprngweather

Thanks for the blockade :) Thank you so much to the 20 or so jobbers that actually stayed and puzzled well. <3

I apologize for the rant in crew chat, however, I have to admit that I didn't find that blockade as much fun as I thought I would. It has nothing to do with winning or losing, it has to do with that it seems only maybe 20 of our jobbers really wanted to be there. 10 were fighting skellies (Why? Skellies don't pay anywhere near what you get paid in a blockade), 20 were getting repeated fines or worse on the report. In hindsight, I should have removed everyone from the crew that was fighting skellies so you stopped talking about it. Maybe the ocean doesn't really like jobbing for blockades anymore? I know a few people do, but, it's just not worth it funding a blockade for 20 good jobbers. This blockade was for the jobbers, for Riot members, and for Tyr's Own (to give them a fun challenge). There was no challenge for TO, I doubt anyone in Riot had that much fun (evidenced by only maybe 10 showing up), and maybe it was fun for those 20 jobbers who tried. At least I hope it was.
Sprngweather & Picory
[Sep 26, 2010 1:11:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stowaway1693

Your post makes me sad, Sprngweather.

I have been trying to think of something all day that would add that element of fun back to blockading for the jobbers.

Obviously, this isn't a green ocean with tonnes of poe available at the click of a button and credit card payment, so increasing blockade pay isn't the best solution.

Blockade trophies don't seem that easy to come by, and many of the newer players may not even realize the significance of trophies or what it takes to earn them. And as many people have pointed out, trophies don't really seem to serve much incentive except for certain trophies for standing.

Raffles are done on a blockade-by-blockade basis at the discretion of each flag taking part, and still don't seem to catch the interest of some of the potential job pool.

I was trying to come up with some kind of in-game mechanic that would fit the bill. I tossed out an idea about sinking order (first boat to sink gets... something?, or third or tenth, etc.), and haven't come up with anything else since.

So is there a solution to enticing and keeping decent jobbers for potentially hours on end? Or is this just a dying aspect of the game for most people?
Sisqi

Midnight- now in Phresh Phoenix Phlavour

[Sep 26, 2010 7:27:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lazyeyes1991

Tokens :)
Lesgreg
[Sep 26, 2010 8:11:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pomfret

Actually, I see nothing wrong with a blockade with only 20 jobbers each side. 20 jobbers can crew 3 junks. The problem only starts when one side or another starts filling up ships with multi-clienting alts against 20 jobbers. Strangely, it seems to be the same people who lament that the blockade game is stagnating. Well, what the heck do you expect when you do things like this?
Pomfret of Midnight Cerulean and Most Oceans
Except when I am Scroogie or somebody else

Stupid merger made me change my signature...
[Sep 26, 2010 9:49:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stowaway1693

Sprngweather didn't say they only had 20 jobbers, just only 20 that were worth anything. If there are 20 that are performing well, 20 that are barely getting "fine" and 10 off fighting skellies, that's still 50 jobbers in total.

Even still, as was stated earlier, it wasn't about whether the other side had alts (or whether the attackers won or lost), but that it didn't seem fun at all when you can't get decent people to job for you and give the other side a run for their money.

(BTW, for what it's worth, I wasn't involved in today's blockade, and hardly have anything to do with my flag's decisions and tactics at this present point in time)
Sisqi

[Sep 26, 2010 10:04:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Donsmythe

Well, pay certainly isn't the answer. Increasing the pay doesn't make playing the puzzles any more fun.

And for the flags, it just increases the expense exponentially because people start pulling out the booching alts when pay gets up to 1k+ per segment. So you pay more per person and each person splits into multiple pirates.

In fact, for the Bipolar/Fallen blockade at Beta we agreed on a pay cap in hopes of keeping away the boochers, since we wanted puzzlers on both sides, not coffer drainers. I think we still got some, so next time we might set the cap lower, as a counter to this bad behavior. In the end, booching alts hurt everyone else. Especially since they make flags more reluctant to blockade often or pay well.

Even with pay set to "Elite", the boochers still seem to get some poe; I'm not a fan of using Elite because I'd like everyone to be rewarded a bit more equally, but that's pretty much required to discourage the boochers. So until OOO answers the player base's cry for them to NOT PAY BOOCHERS ANYTHING, which has been requested many times in game design, the pay situation is going to suck for everyone. Except the boochalts.

Also, one of the big problems is that people get tired of the shipboard puzzles - you can only do so much before you've hit your limit. The only two options I can see would be to either allow us to hire skilled bots (for a high price) so that the bots can do what the players won't, or to add more puzzles so that there's more variety and to keep the jobbers from getting burnt out so quickly. If there were three different puzzles you could play for each of carp, bilge, and sails, people might be more willing to job. I don't see OOO implementing either option before the game implodes, however.
[Sep 27, 2010 12:43:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://don.yacktman.org/blog/    yackd [Link]  Go to top 
MorganaP

Think Don hits a lot of it on the head, blockades for your average jobber get boring real fast specially non-sinkers.
For the most part Joe Pirate doesnt care who holds what island, they have no investment in your blockade.

So your experienced player will only show for one round two if your really lucky, and your greener players are lucky to pull a good on the DR.
Combine that with the time of your blockade Sprng (first thing on a sunday for americans on what I was told was a football day, and 2am on a monday morning for us aussies, and coming a day after two sinking blockades) and jobbing numbers were bound to be down.

A small blockade can work and be fun, if the jobbers and crews have the right mindset, having jobbers who are off at the skellie fights instead of on ships and then are talking about it on crew chat is just rude on the part of the jobber and yes you would of been much better to remove those players from crew.

Morgana
[Sep 27, 2010 3:24:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rhapzodi

ZOMG!!!! LEG-WARMERS!!!!

(Yeah, I know it's a bit late for this post, but I've been afk from ypp forums for a bit, came back and seen this and just HAD to post!=P)
Rhapzody says, "Would someone tell me again WHY we call them EX's?"
Jthebear says, "X, what you put on the map so you can tell the police where the body is as part of your plea agreement......"
[Sep 27, 2010 8:24:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Luvessy

I'll apologize openly for keeping two jobbers from being there, as both Leif and I would have been there for Riot had kitten adoption been faster or I picked a non-Sunday afternoon to do it.

That aside, I'll confess that I get very bored in blockades after one round if I'm not somehow involved in the leadership team or navving or XO. Of course, then I also don't get paid...
For me, money doesn't motivate me. Paying more isn't going to make me come out for a blockade I was thinking about not attending. Sinking or non-sinking are completely irrelevant since my goal as a jobbing pirate is always to keep the ship up and on the board for as long as possible. If the jobber's goal isn't to get an injury, the stakes don't really change, unless they're interested in the resource wealth of the flag.

In the end, it's as Don says: the tedium of doing the same two or three puzzles for hours. Two years ago, I enjoyed it: I had goals of trying to increase my standing or be top on the duty list for as many segments as possible. I tended to be on board ships with friends and would have friendly competitions to see who could beat who. Those don't seem to be the type of jobbers on ships anymore.
--Mistymate

(Avatar by Sancha.)
[Sep 27, 2010 8:36:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CarlosBones

In the end, it's as Don says: the tedium of doing the same two or three puzzles for hours. Two years ago, I enjoyed it: I had goals of trying to increase my standing or be top on the duty list for as many segments as possible. I tended to be on board ships with friends and would have friendly competitions to see who could beat who. Those don't seem to be the type of jobbers on ships anymore.

Quoting dis.

(Also, you owe us kitten pictures.)
Mccannibal
Riot
[Sep 27, 2010 9:52:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Trixylicks

Personally I will see who is blockading and loyalty will always come first. However if the poe is high enough, I and other players will job for a blockade due to poe. So I think poe does count.

Thirdly if the XO is doing their job properly and see jobbers booching continuously, I would advise them to plank and expel from crew. However this can cause under manning problems. But just like pillies (those of us that still job through the jobbing board!) you plank somebody who is booching, announce it and often I find the other lazers will do better. So maybe training for XOs is useful.

Other then my suggestions, I agree with continuous puzzling does get boring, but I just put that down to the fact we have played the game way longer then our natural expiry date within the same game.
[Sep 27, 2010 4:37:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Contrariety

XO's should not just be monitoring booching; they can keep a ship's worth of jobbers from getting bored, too. Shipwide competitions like, "50 poe to anyone who can get exactly 3 of _____ token in the next duty report!" or something along those lines. People really like small short-term goals, especially the wacky ones, and it keeps the puzzling interesting.
Pests they might be, but the young were cute and cuddly and had big eyes, which was definitely an evolutionary edge to secure survival.
-On grammasites, Thursday Next

Contrary to Popular Belief, or Mistress Mary, quite Contrary, I'll be around.
[Sep 27, 2010 5:01:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stowaway1693

I will agree that it's often hard to keep at the same puzzle for as long as a round takes, even with breaks and with hopping to new ships when the one you're on sinks.

That seems to be the most commonly identified issue.

What if there were some kind of "mini-game" that could be played during the segment breaks? I would imagine this would mean increasing the break time, perhaps to 2 minutes? not so bad if there's an activity going on during that time.

It's all well and fine to say that the XO's of each ship should be responsible for keeping the ship lively, but I think what's being identified is a need to adjust the game mechanic.
Sisqi

[Sep 27, 2010 7:18:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 33   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates