• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 131
Posts: 131   Pages: 5   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 33468 times and has 130 replies Next Thread
Cronus
OceanMaster

September Familiar Competitions - Get your tickets! Reply to this Post

During the month of September, we've decided to do something a little bit different for familiar competitions. Each competition will have "tickets" (ribbon trinket) as the prize that you can later cash in for valuable prizes - Even a familiar. It will be up to you to determine what prize you want to cash in your tickets for. Think of it as a trip to the arcade where you collect small tickets to exchange for something shiny on the back wall.

Throughout the month there will be several different competitions. Some of these contests will be announced, others will not. I plan on having a variety of settings and prize values to encourage different styles of play. So if you don't care for one, there will most likely be another you'll like more.

Deadline for prize redemption is 11:59 PM October 9th .

Prizes:
Colored Familiar - 200 points
Tan/Tan Parrot Familiar - 50 points
7 person Portrait with myself and another mysterious OM - 20 points.
Cronus' Mysterious Grab Bag. A random unpurchasable item I've already wrapped in a box (artifact furniture, funky colored potted flowers, Cronus egg, etc). - 10 points

Tickets:
Each ticket will have a point value associated with it. Below you'll see the value of each ticket. It's your job to determine what is most cost-effective and what goal you want to shoot for.

Black/Black Ribbon - 200 points
Tan/Tan - 50 points
Red/Red - 5 points

Redeeming Your Points:
  • There will be two days a week you can redeem your points, Thursday and Saturday. This will help keep the queue manageable for OMs on duty. Please try to only file a petition to redeem your points for a prize on these days.
  • File a petition on Thursday or Saturday with the subject, "Sept. Comp Prize (attn Cronus)"
  • Place the tickets on your pirate. Make sure they're inscribed as being part of this event.
  • List the prize(s) you want and what tickets you have to trade.
  • If you're getting a portrait, please include a general idea of when you'd be available so we can work out a good time.
  • Wait patiently. It's entirely possible it takes me a day or so to make the exchange.

Rules:
  • Deadline for redemption is 11:59 PM October 9th. No tickets will be exchanged for pirates submitting petitions after this date.
  • Tickets are transferable. Feel free to buy/sell them in order to meet your prize goal.
  • You are not limited to the number of points you can acquire.
  • Please keep the number of redemption petitions to 1-2. If this means you have to hold onto tickets to submit a petition for multiple prizes, please do so. This will help limit the time it takes to provide prizes.
  • If you acquire enough points for a colored familiar, you may pick the type and color. However, please keep in mind that the standard event restrictions are in place. No all white, all black, LE colors, etc will be allowed.
  • Ribbons will have an inscription for this event. No trinkets will be redeemable for prizes if their inscription does not indicate it's from this event.
  • If you win a portrait, you will receive the original free of cost which includes the sitting fee. If you'd like any copies (including copies for others in the portrait) you'd need to pay for them.
  • The rules are subject to change, so please check here for additions. Because this is a new event, it's entirely possible we have to make adjustments to make it run smoother. Consider this fair warning.

----------------------------------------
Current avatar by Podgekins
Tinfoil, popsicle sticks, and paste make for a nice shiny new hat!
[Edit 8 times, last edit by Cronus at Sep 24, 2010 7:24:23 PM]
[Sep 2, 2010 9:12:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cronus
OceanMaster

Re: September Familiar Competition - Get your tickets! Reply to this Post

Color Familiar Competition Schedule:
A few of the competitions this month can be found below. You'll also see random competitions popping up at various times that will not be listed here.

-----------------------

Note: For this event, multiple puzzles (duty or craft) doesn't mean all of those in that group. It just means that you should expect more than one puzzle. It's possible that your favorite puzzle will be missing and instead added to a different competition.

-----------------------

Date: Sunday - 9/12 - 4pm
Top Prize: Black Ribbon
Competition Type: Multiple duty puzzle with the top prize earned for the overall winner.

Date: Saturday - 9/18 - 12pm (Noon)
Top Prize:Black Ribbon
Competition Type: Multiple crafting puzzle with the top prize earned for the overall winner.

Date: Saturday - 9/25 - 9pm
Top Prize: Several Tan Ribbons
Competition Type: Short Multi-puzzle event with each puzzle earning a Tan Ribbon and no real overall prize. (Hint: This is intended to force you to pick your favorite puzzle)

Date: Sunday - 9/26 - 5am
Top Prize: Black Ribbon
Competition Type: Multiple random puzzle with the top prize earned for the overall winner.
[Edit 4 times, last edit by Cronus at Sep 9, 2010 1:57:02 PM]
[Sep 2, 2010 9:12:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
garfields

So its just like normal competitions, except you get to choose the type/colour?
Garfields of Meridian
[Sep 3, 2010 11:56:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Khaimm

Re: September Familiar Competitions - Get your tickets! Reply to this Post

Awesome. I recall something along these lines was discussed in GD a while back. I'm glad to see you're reading our suggestions.
garfields wrote: 
So its just like normal competitions, except you get to choose the type/colour?

Not quite. For one thing, you can place 2nd or 3rd in several events and still get a familiar, possibly a colored familiar. We may also see several "mini-events", where the top prize is something less than 50 points. There's also going to be some serious bidding for tickets.
Khaim : Hunter
Plan for Swabbies
Phade wrote: 
I'm against anything potentially annoying that greenies can get their hands on. This includes their ability to chat.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Khaimm at Sep 3, 2010 1:30:44 PM]
[Sep 3, 2010 1:26:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
beanslap

Will every competiton be posted on the tourny board?
Beanslap
Inn Lover & Nub.
Nub of Invicta and Ex-Nub Of BTV

I shared an insane experience with Gholiath, several tigers and some elephants.
[Sep 3, 2010 1:48:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stephensam

I like to see a twist on the long-ago "Almost Pure Familiar Tournaments". I do have a question though: If ribbons of the needed colors already exist on the ocean in some way, do they still count for redemption? Or will these new ribbons have a specific inscription?
Stevensam -Cobalt Native, founder and host of The PoE is Right. Creator of Lime Day.
[Sep 3, 2010 1:48:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Stevensam [Link]  Go to top 
Maskforum

Sounds like fun.

So there will be tickets in the announced familiar competitions and tickets in automated tournaments?
Mask - Hunter Ocean
Island degisner
[Sep 3, 2010 1:50:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cronus
OceanMaster

I like to see a twist on the long-ago "Almost Pure Familiar Tournaments". I do have a question though: If ribbons of the needed colors already exist on the ocean in some way, do they still count for redemption? Or will these new ribbons have a specific inscription?

The ribbons will be inscribed to indicate they come from this event since I'm sure other such ribbons already exist.

So there will be tickets in the announced familiar competitions and tickets in automated tournaments?

This event is for competitions and will not include tournaments. Some of the competitions will be listed in the second post, however many will be spontaneous.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Cronus at Sep 3, 2010 2:15:27 PM]
[Sep 3, 2010 2:13:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RedSeaWitch

Pretty cool.
This way, everyone has a chance at a little something special, even if it's not a fam
Windwench
Hags of the Wicked Winds, Cerulean
Collecting Hake & Hagfish
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HS on Viri:
Captain shouts, for heaven's sake, don't leave th :P
Jobber says, you don't hear that yelled too often
[Sep 3, 2010 2:25:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    kundry.rm    kundryyyy    3761215 [Link]  Go to top 
Dozers2

Color Familiar Competition Schedule:
A few of the competitions this month can be found below. You'll also see random competitions popping up at various times that will not be listed here.

TBA

So this means you'll post a schedule for some of the comps here and others will be surprises? if so how long in advance will they be posted?

Awesome idea though.
Dozers from sage ocean

I don't hack, honest.

[Sep 3, 2010 3:04:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AhoyLindsay

I love this idea. :)
Castawayjoe of the Midnight Ocean.
To err is human, but to arr is pirate.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Catharsis on Cobalt and Malachite.
[Sep 3, 2010 3:19:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SirCarl67

Wonderful idea, could you just explain a bit about how claiming portraits will work. Will you post a number of periods you will be around available for portraits and we can then pick a slot with out petition (subject to there not being too many portrait requests in that slot for all to be met). Or do we post a number of times we are available for the portrait to be available. I suspect the first option will work better.

It would also be good if there was a low level prize available for anyone who just gets a single red ribbon, maybe a random chroma or purchaseable item.

Will winners also get trinkets to keep in the competitions? I like to keep a trinket case of all the trinkets I have won in competitions and I would hate t be torn between keeping a trinket as a momento of my performance or trading it in for some goodies.
Apollo tells ye "If you're ok for me to do one [bake-off], I'll go with that."
[Edit 1 times, last edit by SirCarl67 at Sep 3, 2010 4:10:47 PM]
[Sep 3, 2010 4:05:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Setsusa

Thank you so much for making steps towards the "trade in tokens for familiars" idea. I've done it before, and I know it stings pretty bad to place 2nd, or third, or even fourth in a tournament or competition and in comparison to a familiar, get a pretty un-awesometastic-wanna-keep-it-forever prize.

Can't wait to see some competitions come up :D
Cremate on Emerald.
Motou on Meridian.
[Sep 3, 2010 4:17:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cronus
OceanMaster

Wonderful idea, could you just explain a bit about how claiming portraits will work. Will you post a number of periods you will be around available for portraits and we can then pick a slot with out petition (subject to there not being too many portrait requests in that slot for all to be met). Or do we post a number of times we are available for the portrait to be available. I suspect the first option will work better.

Portraits will be done in the same way as the other prizes. When you file a petition, you'll want to include times where you'd be free. Once I confirm you have the trinkets and nab them, we'll try to work something out. It's quite understandable that it would take time to find a time that works.

Will winners also get trinkets to keep in the competitions? I like to keep a trinket case of all the trinkets I have won in competitions and I would hate t be torn between keeping a trinket as a momento of my performance or trading it in for some goodies.

Sorry mate, I'm going to remove the trinkets to prevent confusion.
[Sep 3, 2010 4:24:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
henryrules10

Sorry mate, I'm going to remove the trinkets to prevent confusion.

Can we at least get replacement trinkets as "stubs", sorta as a keepsake? D:
Nickbush on every ocean (Jadebush on Jade -.-)

Native Cobaltean for life

http://www.youtube.com/user/NickBush24

Foraging scoring glitch: http://bit.ly/QEpApx
[Sep 3, 2010 5:33:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cronus
OceanMaster

No, sorry. Because we're allowing people to buy/sell/trade them, it won't be possible for us to determine if the person we are giving the "stub" to won it or bought it. So we wouldn't know who to inscribe it to. Thus we're going to allow people to decide if they want to exchange the ticket or not.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Cronus at Sep 3, 2010 6:48:41 PM]
[Sep 3, 2010 6:48:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Perenoel1

You can always buy and inscribe your own trinket just so you don't forget.

Also, do you know if the schedule will be updated throughout the month, or just all at once sometime soon?
Tzz Made of Fail on Midnight
Tzz's Ultimate puzzle Guide
[Sep 3, 2010 6:50:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bobdonnell

Will the first competition be announced in this thread, or can competitions already be made spontaneously?
Avatar by the Beautiful Velternal <3

Vsmeifudare says, "hi"
Nightwishtwo says, "drop dead"
[Sep 3, 2010 7:06:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cronus
OceanMaster

Will the first competition be announced in this thread, or can competitions already be made spontaneously?

Spontaneous competitions may happen at any time as of the posting of the OP. However the competitions I'm going to announce will go up at the same time and last the entire month... just as soon as I figure out when they should all be. I'd expect the first of those this weekend. I just wanted to make sure I announced the event as soon as possible to give you all a heads up.
[Sep 3, 2010 8:43:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
saintdiana

No, sorry. Because we're allowing people to buy/sell/trade them, it won't be possible for us to determine if the person we are giving the "stub" to won it or bought it. So we wouldn't know who to inscribe it to. Thus we're going to allow people to decide if they want to exchange the ticket or not.

does that mean that two different trinkets with different inscriptions cannot be given for the same place/person? one sword pin to keep, and one ribbon to trade?
~ owlwhisperer ~
[Sep 3, 2010 9:11:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Strider399

Is there any possibility you'll add other ribbon trinkets with different values? Like, a green/green ribbon for 15 points?

And for the record, I like this setup better.

EDIT: Please say that if this style of competition is popular, it will lead to an in-game system for redeeming familiars with a special item won in competitions? :D
Sid on Obsidian

Striderrs everywhere else
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Strider399 at Sep 3, 2010 9:32:11 PM]
[Sep 3, 2010 9:31:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Maskforum

It seems to me that this could be a tester to see how well a familiar trader could work in game by trading in special trinkets, which has been suggested many times.
Mask - Hunter Ocean
Island degisner
[Sep 3, 2010 10:53:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bobdonnell

Will the Notice time be constant for when the comp starts or will that be random as well?
Avatar by the Beautiful Velternal <3

Vsmeifudare says, "hi"
Nightwishtwo says, "drop dead"
[Sep 3, 2010 11:28:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Barney25

EDIT: Please say that if this style of competition is popular, it will lead to an in-game system for redeeming familiars with a special item won in competitions? :D

That probably depends tremendously on how patient and cooperative players are with their petitioning. Tons of unnecessary headaches for Cronus (or whatever OM helps fill orders) will probably nuke any chance of this becoming permanent.
Barney
SO of "Silver Dreams"
Hunter Ocean
<><
Cairna wrote: 
Barny alone is capable to sink us :(

[Sep 3, 2010 11:43:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Barney [Link]  Go to top 
Sleepingvamp

I really like the idea of doing the monthly familiar competition this way. However I am a bit unclear on the portrait prize.

A 7 person portrait with Cronus and another OM leaves space for 5 other people. Can we pick out people for this or is this to be a 3 person portrait with a really large back drop? I understand the more people involved the more difficult it is to set up a portrait. Also there is only one 7 person back ground normally available, so does this mean that we have no choice on the background? If we do have a choice will a discontinued back ground be considered, or an available background with a smaller person number be allowed for more variety?
[Sep 4, 2010 12:29:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cronus
OceanMaster

A 7 person portrait with Cronus and another OM leaves space for 5 other people. Can we pick out people for this or is this to be a 3 person portrait with a really large back drop? I understand the more people involved the more difficult it is to set up a portrait. Also there is only one 7 person back ground normally available, so does this mean that we have no choice on the background? If we do have a choice will a discontinued back ground be considered, or an available background with a smaller person number be allowed for more variety?

You can have up to 7 people. This means you could have any configuration you want, however you'd be limited to the backgrounds currently available. So if you want to use fewer pirates for the portrait, you're more than welcome to do that.
[Sep 4, 2010 12:54:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tennispro2

Is there some way that we can keep track of the competitions?
In other words, would it be possible for you to post the competitions and pirate placement of not only the announced, but also un-announced competitions.
Tennispro

Senior Officer of the crew Serial Pillagers
Prince of the flag Art of War

"If a little knowledge is dangerous, where is the man who has so much as to be out of danger?"
Aldous Huxley
[Sep 4, 2010 5:57:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
superstarsam

Will the competitions be scored in the tiered (Incredible/Excellent/Good/Fine) format or the ranked (1st/2nd/3rd/4th) format?
Geologist - now exclusively Obsidian Emerald flavoured
[Sep 4, 2010 5:59:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hwfo111

Will the competitions be short enough so that one person does not end up playing with 3 alts and gets the top 3 prizes tickets.
Hwfo
[Sep 4, 2010 6:56:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
oasis111

Not looking at anyone in particular >_>
Antheanian forever, no matter what tries to stop me!

Apollo tells ye, "Where would be the fun giving a warning? That would spoil MY fun!"
[Sep 4, 2010 8:52:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 131   Pages: 5   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates