• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 106
Posts: 106   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 12406 times and has 105 replies Next Thread
Rippette

Silence is Sometimes Golden Reply to this Post

I would truely love to have a way to turn off chat channels, like /fofficer and /crew. Sometimes when you trying to focus on a puzzle, someone rambling on how their cat is having problems using the litterbox is a little distracting. If someone says something important it can get buried if your concentrating on the puzzle and are not reading every message that goes flying by you.

The biggest abuse of this is the flag officer chat. If there was even a way to mute just that line, other than muting everyone who is talking on it, it would my myself and members of my crew happier.
----------------------------------------
Be Seeing Ye...

Chaos, Disorder, Confusion, and a good chunk of yer Poe .. Me work here is done.
[Feb 27, 2005 11:06:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ElSpoom

Re: Silence is Sometimes Golden Reply to this Post

Aye, mute it, but then be able to see the things you missed when you turn it back on. That would be useful.
- Spoom
[size=10]Captain, Pie Revolution

Diamond: Because I'm lazy.
Katattacksme wrote: 
Crack holds no sway on the human mind like that of YPP.

[Feb 27, 2005 11:18:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://uberm00.net/    SpoomApex    SpoomApex    54460376 [Link]  Go to top 
Lizthegrey
Developer (retired)

I believe this has already been discussed, and the concern is that someone could become unreachable if too many channels were muted.
[Feb 27, 2005 11:54:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://plus.google.com/106912596786226524817/posts [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Sometimes, Silence Needs to be Cut Down with a Herring, And Have Coconuts Banged Together on the Sides of its Head.

This topic has been discussed to death. Any solution that gives you what you want will also take away other people's ability to contact you when they expect you to be listening. If your chat is spammy, leave your circle, or ask your crew/flag/jobbing crew/people telling you to cut down a bit.
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Feb 27, 2005 11:59:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
greyed

There is also a social answer to this. For some reason unfathomable to me it is unfashionable, nay, rude for the commander of a ship to order a human player to a station.

Whomever started that trend needs to be thumped upside the head with a rolled up newspaper. If it weren't considered rude people would actually find it useful. Chat channels being too spammy? Ignore them! When the commander requires you to move he can order you which first and formost gives an audio cue for you to look over to see the order and comply. Why something so dang blasted useful ever was considered rude is beyond me. *sigh*

No, what I wish I could shut off are the jobber requests. Imagine the following scenerio. You're captain calls a brig run. You, the captain and 2 other officers hit the brig. He turns on hiring jobbers. You set sail and while puzzling *TAWEEEEEEET*. Oh, the captain's ordering me to... nope, just a jobber request. Well, not being the commander of the ship or his second I'm there to just provide puzzling labor. Click on chat in case something important flows by in chat and *TAWEEEEEEEET*. Yay, another request. Let me just click on *TAWEEEEEEET!* Dang nerbit, I'm not the *TAWEEEEEEET* officer *click* in charge *TAWEEEEEEET!!!* of anything! Die you blaster whistle, DIE!!! I just wanna PUZZLE! DIEEEEEE!

Y'know, just a suggestion. And if there is a way to stuff that whistle up the parrot please let me know as it drives me batty.
[Feb 28, 2005 12:19:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Penndalla

I'm sympathetic with the plea for blocking channels. However, I don't know a solution for people thinking you are listening when you aren't.
Pennsuedo

My art: http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all
[Feb 28, 2005 1:55:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all [Link]  Go to top 
greyed

Penndalla wrote: 
I'm sympathetic with the plea for blocking channels. However, I don't know a solution for people thinking you are listening when you aren't.

Uh, I can.

"Foo has that channel muted" instead of "Foo is busy puzzling right now".
[Feb 28, 2005 2:39:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Penndalla

That would be terrible to get 15 lines of mute responses each time one used /fo.
Pennsuedo

My art: http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all
[Feb 28, 2005 2:59:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all [Link]  Go to top 
Vurogj

It'd cut down on /foff spam in no time though :-)
Older, crankier,
still haz da phat haiku skillz.
Tawnee on Midnight.
Apollo says, "Tawnee, I should have known you were involved."
[Feb 28, 2005 3:01:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    vurogj    vurojg [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

Oh, yay, can we get options to mute the mute responses then?

Notorious atteSmythe,
still opposed to channel filters

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Feb 28, 2005 3:02:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
Rmarsbar

how about make a solution yourself? Say if you're SO.. have an alt be SO instead and you come and go to the crew when you need quiet time - the only problem is re/crewing yourself..
Rmarzbarr, a Superlemon!
[Feb 28, 2005 3:04:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Marziepants    Marziepants1    334439659 [Link]  Go to top 
greyed

Penndalla wrote: 
That would be terrible to get 15 lines of mute responses each time one used /fo.

Only get it once every 15m for any given person?

Not that I agreed with it (see my first response) but to say there is no solution is a little extreme. :P
[Feb 28, 2005 3:09:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
emerson

Hm, am I the only one suffering from puzzle-vision? People generally have to yell and scream and order me around to get my attention while I'm puzzling... What's with all this distraction talk? :-)

But there's already an option, at least for some of the duty puzzles (if not all, I can't check now), if you can't stand the babbling.

Switch your tab from chat to vessel, and all the chatter goes away.

I dunno, I've found crews that don't talk at all are kind of...boring. :-)
Cleaver shouts, "I lub this island."
Personally I think that TITS are a technique if they are used less than once every three moves. Any more than that, and you're just waving your exploits in their faces. - Flamer
[Feb 28, 2005 3:09:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
scupperer

/Mute is good.

Just leave /tell enabled. Problem solved.

4 out of 5 Pirates agree.
I believe that we are all, openly or secretly, struggling against one or another kind of nihilism. - Ellen Willis
[Feb 28, 2005 4:29:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.scupperer.com [Link]  Go to top 
DragonRage

scupperer wrote: 
/Mute is good.

Just leave /tell enabled. Problem solved.

4 out of 5 Pirates agree.

Oooh. I love this idea. You can still be reached if needed, and the flag tarts can continue their unnecessary convos in /fo. Keeps me from getting scolded for telling them to shut up and take their convo to /tells or /crew. :P
Like, up in Canada, it's cold as a bastard! Out in Seattle, it rains like bastard! Down in Texas, it's muggy as a bastard!
[Feb 28, 2005 4:40:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Preacher+of+Pie [Link]  Go to top 
ElSpoom

Penndalla wrote: 

Have it send one only when their name is mentioned, and limited to one every ten minutes at most above and beyond that.
- Spoom
[size=10]Captain, Pie Revolution

Diamond: Because I'm lazy.
Katattacksme wrote: 
Crack holds no sway on the human mind like that of YPP.

[Feb 28, 2005 5:48:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://uberm00.net/    SpoomApex    SpoomApex    54460376 [Link]  Go to top 
cjthedj

flag officer spam Reply to this Post

Another easy thing is to make a rule to not use the chat. It should only used for business. plus who cares if your cat is ont the keyboard
[Feb 28, 2005 6:32:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rippette

The whole point of the request wasn't to shut out the world, but to selectively turn off the "group" channels to which literally 100's of people could be replying and talking on at the same time. Using the /mute function, then they cannot get hold of you at all. A /foff and /fon options would be wonderful and perhaps a /fo without anything would show you a list of all the people able to hear you.

I'm just asking for a way to cut out the masses of babble (and whoever said just ask them to be quiet doesn't quite understand how people will feel insulted that you've asked them to not express themselves) without having to shut out everyone.
Be Seeing Ye...

Chaos, Disorder, Confusion, and a good chunk of yer Poe .. Me work here is done.
[Feb 28, 2005 2:17:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
scupperer

Didn't mean /mute individuals. Meant mute the channels. As long as /tell is operational, the counter-argument that you can't be gotten hold of is silly.

As for spamming the channels with "So-So has muted crew chat" - that's just silly, too.
I believe that we are all, openly or secretly, struggling against one or another kind of nihilism. - Ellen Willis
[Feb 28, 2005 2:29:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.scupperer.com [Link]  Go to top 
54x

scupperer wrote: 
Didn't mean /mute individuals. Meant mute the channels. As long as /tell is operational, the counter-argument that you can't be gotten hold of is silly.

As for spamming the channels with "So-So has muted crew chat" - that's just silly, too.

The counter-arguement is not that you're unable to be reached. What it is is that there's no good way of keeping track who is in channels and who is not when you have an option to leave them. Making a channellist and giving enter/leave notifications will make the spamming problem even worse... therefore you should have to deal with channel spam through social powars and not sweeping /mute commands that could stop you from finding out that you are obsolutely not to attack ships of flag X, given that your flag is negotiating an alliance with them, or whatever the Important Message Of The Day is. If you can't keep track of the chat, there are three solutions that you need to pursue:

1) Learning to read faster.
2) Putting the chat in fullscreen mode so you can review it more easily.
3) Asking people nicely to stop making it so hard for you to read the chat.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Feb 28, 2005 2:48:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
shadownexous

It would be much easier for some of the chat options I have in Dark Ages of Camelot to be used such as /cg invite (pirate name) cg= chat group or /bg invite ( pirate name) bg= battle group this way each person could invite anyone he wanted into his own personal chat group then someone could also do this /cg join ( pirate name) or bg and they could join that chat group the leader of said chat group can make his cg public or private simply by doin /cg private to turn it from public to private and back depending on what said chat group leader wants. with thos options it would be fair to allowy tabs where ye could select what channels ye want to view say for example I would have crew chat/ vessel chat / and chat group all selected to be viewed. or if I was doin something I didnt want to be disturbed with have all but vessel and cg and bg turned off. these are the general chat options used in DAOC( the game I mentiond at the begining).
[Feb 28, 2005 2:51:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

shadownexous wrote: 
It would be much easier for some of the chat options I have in Dark Ages of Camelot to be used such as /cg invite (pirate name) cg= chat group or /bg invite ( pirate name) bg= battle group this way each person could invite anyone he wanted into his own personal chat group then someone could also do this /cg join ( pirate name) or bg and they could join that chat group the leader of said chat group can make his cg public or private simply by doin /cg private to turn it from public to private and back depending on what said chat group leader wants. with thos options it would be fair to allowy tabs where ye could select what channels ye want to view say for example I would have crew chat/ vessel chat / and chat group all selected to be viewed. or if I was doin something I didnt want to be disturbed with have all but vessel and cg and bg turned off. these are the general chat options used in DAOC( the game I mentiond at the begining).

Allowing pirates to participate in one custom chat channel (/chat, perhaps? /cinvite and /ckick?) would probably go a long way towards reducing the spam.
from Midnight.
[Feb 28, 2005 2:59:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Lizthegrey
Developer (retired)

I believe custom chat channels are Listed.
[Feb 28, 2005 3:11:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://plus.google.com/106912596786226524817/posts [Link]  Go to top 
ZSA004

Penndalla wrote: 

If someone doesn't respond when this is implemented, you could after a few minutes realize that they MAY just in fact, have it muted. Which would require nothing but a simple tell saying, "Hey, mind joining /fo for a bit for a discussion?"

I mean, people go AFK from their keyboards for a few minutes all the time but don't use the /afk command very often, so what's the difference?

Oh, and each time you log in, have all channels default to ON, so you have to manually turn them off each time, thus banishing the "Forgot I Turned Off The Chat" arguement.
Iskra says, "You're the sweetest pirate I've seen in the the whole ocean"
[Feb 28, 2005 3:51:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    ZSA004 [Link]  Go to top 
Shanoyu

54x wrote: 
Sometimes, Silence Needs to be Cut Down with a Herring, And Have Coconuts Banged Together on the Sides of its Head.

This topic has been discussed to death. Any solution that gives you what you want will also take away other people's ability to contact you when they expect you to be listening. If your chat is spammy, leave your circle, or ask your crew/flag/jobbing crew/people telling you to cut down a bit.

I want to take away their ability to tell me things.

54x wrote: 
The counter-arguement is not that you're unable to be reached. What it is is that there's no good way of keeping track who is in channels and who is not when you have an option to leave them.

So what?

54x wrote: 
therefore you should have to deal with channel spam through social powars

Common Flag Officer Chat Policy wrote: 
Stop using it if someone asks you to.

It's better that we socialize as little as possible?

54x wrote: 
sweeping /mute commands that could stop you from finding out that you are obsolutely not to attack ships of flag X, given that your flag is negotiating an alliance with them, or whatever the Important Message Of The Day is.

Issues -> Flag News -> Post issue.

54x wrote: 
1) Learning to read faster.
3) Asking people nicely to stop making it so hard for you to read the chat.

1. We have four lines. FOUR FREAKING LINES of screen real-estate. This is unreasonable.

2. I cannot do this while puzzling; in a blockade it is insane. The "social power" would be to unjob individuals.

3. Instead of letting people talk and ignoring them while we're busy we'll just make everyone be quiet. Why is this an acceptable solution?

Pendalla wrote: 
I don't know a solution for people thinking you are listening when you aren't.

Personally I just ignore most of the lines of text since there are so many of them; this is a problem with every single form of communication known to man. You are correct in that there is no solution, but harassing the user is also not a solution.
His Holiness, The Dope
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

[quote][quote]Sometimes, Silence Needs to be Cut Down with a Herring, And Have Coconuts Banged Together on the Sides of its Head.

This topic has been discussed to death. Any solution that gives you what you want will also take away other people's ability to contact you when they expect you to be listening. If your chat is spammy, leave your circle, or ask your crew/flag/jobbing crew/people telling you to cut down a bit.[/quote]

I want to take away their ability to tell me things.[/quote]

That's fine. Show me a good way of doing that that isn't more of a nuisance than the spam itself.

[quote][quote]The counter-arguement is not that you're unable to be reached. What it is is that there's no good way of keeping track who is in channels and who is not when you have an option to leave them.[/quote]

So what?[/quote]

So I think the emphasis is on the "let me mute it please" side of things to provide a reason why muting is worth all the communication problems it would cause, or to find a solution without communication problems.

[quote][quote]therefore you should have to deal with channel spam through social powars[/quote]

[quote]Stop using it if someone asks you to.[/quote]

It's better that we socialize as little as possible?[/quote]

Nah, that's not what's meant and you know it :) What you can do is ask people to use tells, or crew chat, or to simply chat a bit slower so that you can keep track of things. Socialising is good, but the more of it happens on the less visible channels, the better.

[quote][quote]sweeping /mute commands that could stop you from finding out that you are obsolutely not to attack ships of flag X, given that your flag is negotiating an alliance with them, or whatever the Important Message Of The Day is.[/quote]

Issues -> Flag News -> Post issue.[/quote]

Yes, this was but one example. What if your crewmates need to talk to you urgently about selling or buying a shoppe, but you have /crew muted and they don't realise? The problem with muting is that we can no longer ensure you have heard something when we say it to you anywhere but tell, which makes trying to get an instant message to more than one person at a time a very big pain.

[quote]]quote="54x"]1) Learning to read faster.
3) Asking people nicely to stop making it so hard for you to read the chat.[/quote]

1. We have four lines. FOUR FREAKING LINES of screen real-estate. This is unreasonable.

2. I cannot do this while puzzling; in a blockade it is insane. The "social power" would be to unjob individuals.

3. Instead of letting people talk and ignoring them while we're busy we'll just make everyone be quiet. Why is this an acceptable solution?[/quote]

1. Press the fullscreen button if you're not puzzling. You now have tons of lines.

2. There's not much you can do in a blockade, but if you don't like the big chatty excited atmosphere, then are blockades really your cup of tea in the first place?

3. I don't quite get what you're trying to say :)
from Midnight.
[Feb 28, 2005 7:11:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Seamusmclir

Just to put in my 2 PoE on the subject.

I think this is an incredible idea, I can't count the number of times in the past I just wanted to turn off my crew chat. (Not that I don't love them all)

Or, even more to the point, the JOBBING crew chat.. For gods sake, I want to follow orders and work on the ship, not hear every bit of gossip going on on the jobbers crew chat.

I definitely think universally turning off tells would be a wonderful idea, with the message 'Seamusmclir Has a migraine right now, and isn't listening to the voices in his head'

The reasons for wanting this are numerous, as for now good way of telling who's on what channels?

/ch<name> who

/chcrew (your crew)
/chjob (jobbing crew)
/chflag (your flag)

Tada.. Problem solved..

Works just like /vwho
http://www.maghtuireadh.org/
http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Manannan%27s_Seawolves

Obsidian Calls Us Home.
--------------------------------------------
"It's the damn of a new era!" - Pyn
[Mar 1, 2005 1:24:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.maghtuireadh.org/forum/    seamusmclir [Link]  Go to top 
Shanoyu

54x wrote: 

That's fine. Show me a good way of doing that that isn't more of a nuisance than the spam itself.

I don't care if it's a nuisance. Other people have no inherent right to my terminal space.

54x wrote: 
So I think the emphasis is on the "let me mute it please" side of things to provide a reason why muting is worth all the communication problems it would cause, or to find a solution without communication problems.

Why are communciation problems caused by spam superior to communication problems caused by lack of spam?

54x wrote: 
Nah, that's not what's meant and you know it :) What you can do is ask people to use tells, or crew chat, or to simply chat a bit slower so that you can keep track of things. Socialising is good, but the more of it happens on the less visible channels, the better.

Design and intent != implimentation and result.

54x wrote: 
Yes, this was but one example. What if your crewmates need to talk to you urgently about selling or buying a shoppe, but you have /crew muted and they don't realise? The problem with muting is that we can no longer ensure you have heard something when we say it to you anywhere but tell, which makes trying to get an instant message to more than one person at a time a very big pain.

Again I say to you, Who cares? Use /tell. Get your captain on aim like you have to now ANYWAY, espically if they're on a different ocean. You imply that we can tell someone can always hear crew by virtue of being online, but this simply is not the case.

54x wrote: 
1. Press the fullscreen button if you're not puzzling. You now have tons of lines.

Gee that's funny because inside a puzzle is when being able to listen to the chat matters most.

54x wrote: 
2. There's not much you can do in a blockade, but if you don't like the big chatty excited atmosphere, then are blockades really your cup of tea in the first place?

If you're trying to say "If you don't like it, don't play rather than suggesting interface improvements." Then I think this conversation is at an impasse, my friend.

54x wrote: 
3. I don't quite get what you're trying to say :)

Niether would 98% of the game if I were to say "Excuse me, could you please talk in a manner that is easier on my terminal?"
His Holiness, The Dope
[Mar 1, 2005 3:22:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dvarin

shanoyu wrote: 
Again I say to you, Who cares? Use /tell. Get your captain on aim like you have to now ANYWAY, espically if they're on a different ocean. You imply that we can tell someone can always hear crew by virtue of being online, but this simply is not the case.

To make this somewhat stronger--under the current situation it's not likely that even a /tell will reach me when I'm puzzling because the color is so similar to /fo, which I have to ignore. If I actually paid attention to /fo and /cr and /jc all the time, I'd be unable to score better than Fine during high chat periods. I mostly can catch /vessel only because it's white and obvious when something on it scrolls by.

So, muting channels means you certainly will miss everything on certain channels. Not muting channels means that you have a chance at missing anything, on every channel. Neither of these seems ideal to me. When were custom chat groups coming, again? :)
[size=10]Saben
Some Random Pirate (over a Gaussian distribution)
[Mar 1, 2005 4:56:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shanoyu

Anyway, now that i'm apparently about to endure a flag split basically over the inability to mute /fo, i'd like to again request the ability to mute channels so that I don't have to police everyone's chatter.
His Holiness, The Dope
[Mar 23, 2005 12:25:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 106   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates