• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 53
Posts: 53   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7606 times and has 52 replies Next Thread
pomfret

TO Rebel or not TO Rebel? Call to Arms at Papaya!

Tyr's Own in its infinite tyranny has declared 100% taxation on Papaya, because "We can."

Is there any backbone on Midnight, or is Midnight only inhabited by a bunch of mercenery landlubbers who cares not for politics at all? Does old money and old ships trump everything else? We shall soon find out.

Alas, weekends are not my prime playtime, so I cannot partake in the blockade game. However, that is not to say that I cannot agitate one if the ocean is so minded. So, even though I am a lowly merchant who does not even own a shoppe on Papaya, I am putting up a 50k bounty on whichever flag drops a warchest on Papaya.

However, as this is an uprising, there are a few catches:

(1) The attacking flag and any of its allies cannot pay or offer to pay jobbers anything more than 10 poe per segment. Ideally, it should be 0 poe, but let's give them some flexibility. The 10 poe cap stays even if Tyr's Own posts higher blockade pay. If at any time the attacker's blockade pay exceeds 10 poe per segment, I will deem the flag to be not in need of sponsorship and will not pay a single poe to it. No raffle may be held by the attacking flag to get around the pay cap. This is strictly a rebellion!

(2) The attacking flag must have at its disposal at the blockade at least one WF and 1 WB, or 2 WBs.

(3) The ships must enter the blockade board if there are enough jobbers, who are willing to fight for 10 poe or less per segment, to crew the ships. If there are not enough jobbers to crew a single WF, the attackers must fill up and put out a WB instead. If there are not enough jobbers to even fill up a WB, the attackers must fill up and put out a baghlah or a junk. If there are not enough jobbers to even fill up a baghlah or junk, well... you have your answer.

A flag intending to take up this offer should post a notice on this thread.

I will not pay for a no-show, so I will only pay the 50k if there is credible evidence that a genuine uprising blockade was attempted. Since there is a good chance I won't be able to be online at any such blockade, this can take the form of posts with screenshots on this thread, or reports by any reasonably respected Midnight pirate (including pirates from TO) on this thread that there was in fact a genuine attempt.

What? Only 50k?
Well, I expect other pirates to join in and add to the bounty. And 50k does go some distance if you don't have to pay your jobbers at all.

If no one else does, then again you have your answer - that there is no backbone on Midnight. I cannot, however, vouch for whether these other pledges are good for their money. Pirates wishing to join in are encouraged to post in this thread. I will endeavor to edit this post to reflect the current level of bounty.

How long?This bounty is up until a flag accepts it, or until TO reduces taxation on Papaya back to 15% or less. In the event that a genuine uprising is beaten back by the dark forces of TO, I reserve the right to repeat it until TO is overthrown, brought to its senses, or everybody else on the Midnight is cowed by them.

Why are you doing it? You don't even have any big war flag to back you up and your one-pirate flag is pathetic.
Because I am a Fruitcake. And because I can.

Why no picture?Because this is technically not an intent post. :p

Edit:

Present Bounty: 350,000
50,000 (Pomfret)
50,000 (Nine) - don't ask me why
50,000 (Windwench)
50,000 (Elliptic)
50,000 (Tzz)
50,000 (Shadowwolf)
50,000 (Sisqi)

Sunset Knight Flag has taken up arms! Or so they say... but we are all still waiting for a picture of a skewered papaya or something...
I have agreed to increase the cap to 200 poe.

----------------------------------------
Pomfret of Midnight Cerulean and Most Oceans
Except when I am Scroogie or somebody else

Stupid merger made me change my signature...
[Edit 7 times, last edit by pomfret at Aug 27, 2010 2:29:02 AM]
[Aug 25, 2010 12:36:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DeepNine

Re: TO Rebel or not TO Rebel? Call to Arms at Papaya!

What? Only 50k?
Well, I expect other pirates to join in and add to the bounty.

I'll toss another 50k into the pool.
Nine of Tyr's Own
Currently on loan to: Dies Irae
[Aug 25, 2010 12:52:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RedSeaWitch

What? Only 50k?
Well, I expect other pirates to join in and add to the bounty.

I'll toss another 50k into the pool.

me too
Windwench
Hags of the Wicked Winds, Cerulean
Collecting Hake & Hagfish
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HS on Viri:
Captain shouts, for heaven's sake, don't leave th :P
Jobber says, you don't hear that yelled too often
[Aug 25, 2010 12:56:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    kundry.rm    kundryyyy    3761215 [Link]  Go to top 
bronzebeard

Putting a bounty on a flag suggests the opposite of helping them.
Peglegpaul
Now on Obsidian!
[Aug 25, 2010 1:05:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Icutmyself

Doing some quick maths, I find your generous offer leads to a net gain of 25k after dropping the chest.

Hey, TO, whaddaya say, you agree to matching pay, non-sinkies, and no shooting, and we can go halfsies. That's 12.5k for you. Think about it.
Captain of Deathcab for Booty
King of the flag Incredible

...and so emo it hurts.
[Aug 25, 2010 3:35:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheRack

/e randomly muses how many Aussies and Kiwi's would be interested in playing the blockade game at a normal time. Say 4pm Australian Eastern States Time 2PM Western, 6PM NZ...

Say 5 September, BYO boat for anyone who wants to nav, rotate the nav through to give plenty of people an opportunity to play the driving game, with priority given to anybody who has not blockade bnav before...
Cephalopod, on poker, wrote: 
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: it isn't rigged.

Period. End of story.

[Aug 25, 2010 4:11:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wonkothes

In an time where jobber pay has migrated up to 400-500 poe per segment, you are expecting a flag to get jobbers to puzzle for 3 to 5 hours for 150-250 poe total? Even a bad pillage can earn pirates more than that in 5 hours. You even stipulate that even if TO raises pay, the attacking flag can't go over 10 poe.

This is an interesting premise, but I think it needs some work.
Wonkots Governor of Wrasse
Cleaver wrote: 
Your new Penguin Overlords will be along shortly to begin the long and 'difficult' process of 'correction'."

[Aug 25, 2010 4:29:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pomfret

In an time where jobber pay has migrated up to 400-500 poe per segment, you are expecting a flag to get jobbers to puzzle for 3 to 5 hours for 150-250 poe total? Even a bad pillage can earn pirates more than that in 5 hours. You even stipulate that even if TO raises pay, the attacking flag can't go over 10 poe.

In the immortal words of Sweetiepiepi, "pixellated wealth" and all that.

And I am a shopkeeper, I don't do maths.

[Aug 25, 2010 4:42:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Wildboy

The cries of the merchant's of Papaya travel quickly across the ocean. Seething with anger at the unfair taxation of the populous Kaldric orders his fleet to the shores of Papaya. He will aid the merchants of the land or loose his fleet trying.

This sounds like fun and thank you pomfret for making such a fun proposal. I accept all your terms but ask for one thing to be changed. 10 gold is extremely low. I want to do this in the spirit it was intended but I do not wish to waste the time of my jobbers as well. I would like to raise the rate to 100 or 200 per segment which is still low for blockades.

I will set the blockade time for 3pm Sunday afternoon eastern time zone. Saturday i have a wedding. If another time is preferred TO let me know and i will try to accommodate but it needs to be Sunday.

Look forward to the fun.
Kaldric on Cerulean
Captain of the Sunset Knights Crew
[Aug 25, 2010 6:42:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pomfret

I want to do this in the spirit it was intended but I do not wish to waste the time of my jobbers as well. I would like to raise the rate to 100 or 200 per segment which is still low for blockades.

The idea is to see whether people can be influenced by politics and fun more than poe. I suppose I can agree to 200 poe cap. But I can't say the same for the other 2 sponsors. And no, I won't pay you more than 50,000 poe even if you pay your jobbers 200 poe instead of 10. :p

But others might hee hee.

I will set the blockade time for 3pm Sunday afternoon eastern time zone. Saturday i have a wedding. If another time is preferred TO let me know and i will try to accommodate but it needs to be Sunday.

I believe the attacker sets the time that suits them? You may have to get your flag's fame up a tad in order to drop on a large island like Papaya?

Shall I take it that the uprising has begun? If so, please post the customary intent thread, just for hoots.

[Aug 25, 2010 7:37:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rhapzodi

Look forward to the fun.

Which Sunday? THIS Sunday (the 29th)? or NEXT Sunday (Sept 5th)?

Just curious...wouldn't want to miss this. =P
Rhapzody says, "Would someone tell me again WHY we call them EX's?"
Jthebear says, "X, what you put on the map so you can tell the police where the body is as part of your plea agreement......"
[Aug 25, 2010 8:49:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Wildboy

The idea is to see whether people can be influenced by politics and fun more than poe. I suppose I can agree to 200 poe cap. But I can't say the same for the other 2 sponsors. And no, I won't pay you more than 50,000 poe even if you pay your jobbers 200 poe instead of 10. :p

I am not doing this for the POE more the idea sounded fun.

I believe the attacker sets the time that suits them? You may have to get your flag's fame up a tad in order to drop on a large island like Papaya?

That is true but seemed like a few would like to partake in this was just more in the spirit of entertainment then actually trying to take the island. The island is more a bonus then an objective

Shall I take it that the uprising has begun? If so, please post the customary intent thread, just for hoots.

Aye the uprising has started and I shall be the tip of the sword...This sunday 3pm-ish and we shall have the governor's head on a pike.
Kaldric on Cerulean
[Aug 25, 2010 9:49:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

If it's fame ye be needin' to drop the blockade chest, might I suggest an event like this one?
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Aug 25, 2010 10:31:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Elliptic

If this is kosher, I'll add 50K for one blockade, on account of how I hate Sweetiepiepi and what she represents. (Fun phrase!)
"That is not how the question frames itself."

Wend, royal archophobe
[Aug 25, 2010 10:39:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Dude, h8! No cookie for you.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Aug 25, 2010 10:45:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pomfret

For 200k, there better be some shooting.

[Aug 25, 2010 11:06:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

The idea is to see whether people can be influenced by politics and fun more than poe.

*laughs* how 2005 of you.
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[Aug 25, 2010 11:20:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rockitboy

I would assume to encourage someone to blockade, since that is what TO likes to do.
Rocketboy
Cursed Isles, ridding the ocean of poor BNAV one ship at a time.
[Aug 25, 2010 12:46:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Perenoel1

I'll toss in 50k too
Tzz Made of Fail on Midnight
Tzz's Ultimate puzzle Guide
[Aug 25, 2010 4:37:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pomfret

*laughs* how 2005 of you.

Wouldn't know. Not born then.

[Aug 25, 2010 9:29:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

Then let me inform you:

The Scallywags killed that playstyle, and drove many of those who enjoyed it out of the game. But if they hadn't, someone else would have; or simple burnout and the demographic shift that they were at the vanguard of would have eventually produced the same result.

Greed won.
Greed continues to win.
Greed (to quote Gordon Gecko) works.
[Aug 25, 2010 10:17:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Wildboy

If it's fame ye be needin' to drop the blockade chest, might I suggest an event like this one?

Just realized why you posted this. I never had a flag fame less then celebrated, silly summer and it being vacation time. Now to come up with something to raffle off to host such an event. Thanks for the idea.
Kaldric on Cerulean
[Aug 26, 2010 6:02:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
funnybones

In This Thread: Starhawk lets you know you're playing a terrible game and it's all Robertdonald's fault. See every other thread Starhawk has posted in ever.
The Dread Pirates Robinson & Barthes, LLC

The poor complain; they always do. But that's just idle chatter.
Our system brings rewards to all. At least, to all who matter.

[Aug 26, 2010 6:08:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bronzebeard

In This Thread: Starhawk lets you know you're playing a terrible game and it's all Robertdonald's fault. See every other thread Starhawk has posted in ever.

He's like the evil twin of The Man Behind the Curtain.
Peglegpaul
Now on Obsidian!
[Aug 26, 2010 6:32:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

It's not, and it's not.

RD was a very talented player, who chose to use those talents in ways I personally disapprove of; however, in another sense, he was only a symptom. He gets the credit and blame because he was there and he made himself very visible, a lightning rod for both those who liked the game how it was and for those who wanted it to change. But the change was already underway, and probably unavoidable, as a result of decisions that Three Rings made once the game went live.

One of those changes is that (IMO) players these days don't care about flags and community and "politics and fun", as you said, the way we used to. They care about who's paying more, full stop. They flit from ocean to ocean, table to table, jumping ship in mid-voyage with nary a thought for those they leave behind, already forgotten. And so blockades are won not by those who are actually in the flag, committed to its success, but by paywars and whoever has the larger purse.

Is it terrible? No. But it's not the game I used to play. A game where many jobbed for blockades for no pay at all, because it was helping their flag (or their ally), and that actually counted for something.

We've gone from friends helping a friend move, for free (and some pizza) because that's what friends do, to a pack of rowdy kids showing up on your front lawn/step and wanting to know how much you'll pay each of them to carry one thing to your new place, which they probably won't lose or break along the way, unless someone makes them a better offer or they just get tired and decide to leave it sitting in the middle of the street.
[Aug 26, 2010 8:36:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PracticalM

One of those changes is that (IMO) players these days don't care about flags and community and "politics and fun", as you said, the way we used to. They care about who's paying more, full stop. They flit from ocean to ocean, table to table, jumping ship in mid-voyage with nary a thought for those they leave behind, already forgotten. And so blockades are won not by those who are actually in the flag, committed to its success, but by paywars and whoever has the larger purse.

Is it terrible? No. But it's not the game I used to play. A game where many jobbed for blockades for no pay at all, because it was helping their flag (or their ally), and that actually counted for something.

We've gone from friends helping a friend move, for free (and some pizza) because that's what friends do, to a pack of rowdy kids showing up on your front lawn/step and wanting to know how much you'll pay each of them to carry one thing to your new place, which they probably won't lose or break along the way, unless someone makes them a better offer or they just get tired and decide to leave it sitting in the middle of the street.

I wasn't around before blockades without pay, but the common place where I see this greed being a problem is when people are asked to the be the jobbing contact or the quartermaster and they would rather be on the board because the support jobs are not automatically paid. I haven't seen it with many but I have seen it. Though I also saw a lot of resistance to the pay jobbers only option in the blockade pay window.

I also see it when crew and flag mates don't join crew or flag pillages because they can make better eights elsewhere.
Silverstache
Prince of Otherworld
Senior Officer and Drunk of Mad Mutineers
[Aug 26, 2010 8:53:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shadowwolfy

I'll add 50k.
Fruit juice is to pirates as sugar is to crack addicts; a major disappointment.
[Aug 26, 2010 9:18:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
StuManchu

Seriously though, who on Midnight gives two poops for poes anymore, I haven't been active for 4 years and I have poes coming out my ass.

I can't even imagine the amount of poes a flag like TO has. They could wallpaper every room in every house on every island in the ocean with poes. Poes only motivate people who have no influence whatsoever on the ocean.

Whether this is in agreement or in conflict with any of the statements made prior to this post I don't know or care. Just sayin'. There also seems to be this bizarre attachment to Large Numbers as a brain-stem-ticklin' Pavlovian response thing, so whatever.
Was once Stuyvesant

Redistribute your wealth, or we'll redistribute your blood.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by StuManchu at Aug 26, 2010 1:25:26 PM]
[Aug 26, 2010 1:24:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lazyeyes1991

Seriously though, who on Midnight gives two poops for poes anymore, I haven't been active for 4 years and I have poes coming out my ass.

Might i sugest

And so blockades are won not by those who are actually in the flag, committed to its success, but by paywars and whoever has the larger purse.

It is still won by those who are in the flag committed to its success, thats where the PoE is coming from. Since i joined TO and since the Ragnarok started, I have seen a much higher level of activity from within the flag playing. Having normaly upwards of 20people from TO for blockades on (a few are alts from diff flags i am sure). Also TO has pulled off a few wins/barely lost blockades that i have seen while being out jobbed by 20 or so jobbers. I also tend to see the same jobbers even when TO is being outpayed. So there still seems to be a large number of people who like people in TO or what the plan of TO is, not what the pay is. I think friendship is still stronger than PoE.
Lesgreg
[Aug 26, 2010 2:54:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Piratejaime9

Tyr's Own in its infinite tyranny has declared 100% taxation on Papaya, because "We can."

Is there any backbone on Midnight, or is Midnight only inhabited by a bunch of mercenery landlubbers who cares not for politics at all? Does old money and old ships trump everything else? We shall soon find out.

Alas, weekends are not my prime playtime, so I cannot partake in the blockade game. However, that is not to say that I cannot agitate one if the ocean is so minded. So, even though I am a lowly merchant who does not even own a shoppe on Papaya, I am putting up a 50k bounty on whichever flag drops a warchest on Papaya.

However, as this is an uprising, there are a few catches:

(1) The attacking flag and any of its allies cannot pay or offer to pay jobbers anything more than 10 poe per segment. Ideally, it should be 0 poe, but let's give them some flexibility. The 10 poe cap stays even if Tyr's Own posts higher blockade pay. If at any time the attacker's blockade pay exceeds 10 poe per segment, I will deem the flag to be not in need of sponsorship and will not pay a single poe to it. No raffle may be held by the attacking flag to get around the pay cap. This is strictly a rebellion!

(2) The attacking flag must have at its disposal at the blockade at least one WF and 1 WB, or 2 WBs.

(3) The ships must enter the blockade board if there are enough jobbers, who are willing to fight for 10 poe or less per segment, to crew the ships. If there are not enough jobbers to crew a single WF, the attackers must fill up and put out a WB instead. If there are not enough jobbers to even fill up a WB, the attackers must fill up and put out a baghlah or a junk. If there are not enough jobbers to even fill up a baghlah or junk, well... you have your answer.

A flag intending to take up this offer should post a notice on this thread.

I will not pay for a no-show, so I will only pay the 50k if there is credible evidence that a genuine uprising blockade was attempted. Since there is a good chance I won't be able to be online at any such blockade, this can take the form of posts with screenshots on this thread, or reports by any reasonably respected Midnight pirate (including pirates from TO) on this thread that there was in fact a genuine attempt.

What? Only 50k?
Well, I expect other pirates to join in and add to the bounty. And 50k does go some distance if you don't have to pay your jobbers at all.

If no one else does, then again you have your answer - that there is no backbone on Midnight. I cannot, however, vouch for whether these other pledges are good for their money. Pirates wishing to join in are encouraged to post in this thread. I will endeavor to edit this post to reflect the current level of bounty.

How long?This bounty is up until a flag accepts it, or until TO reduces taxation on Papaya back to 15% or less. In the event that a genuine uprising is beaten back by the dark forces of TO, I reserve the right to repeat it until TO is overthrown, brought to its senses, or everybody else on the Midnight is cowed by them.

Why are you doing it? You don't even have any big war flag to back you up and your one-pirate flag is pathetic.
Because I am a Fruitcake. And because I can.

Why no picture?Because this is technically not an intent post. :p

Edit:

Present Bounty: 250,000
50,000 (Pomfret)
50,000 (Windwench)
50,000 (Elliptic)
50,000 (Tzz)

Sunset Knight Flag has taken up arms! Or so they say... but we are all still waiting for a picture of a skewered papaya or something...
I have agreed to increase the cap to 200 poe.

[Aug 26, 2010 3:51:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 53   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates