• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 82
Posts: 82   Pages: 3   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 14476 times and has 81 replies Next Thread
pomfret

Re: merge Reply to this Post

Now tell me what you would advise your VP of sales when your customers keep paying to play pick-up basketball, say, but find nobody at the gym when they drop by to play. Still think they're going to continue to pay to not be able to play basketball? The ball, the net and the gym aren't broken, but the business model sure is.

True. But isn't ocean merger something like shrinking the size of the gym to concentrate the customers who do drop by to play? I don't think that is a good strategy, unless you are looking to shrink your business.

Surely, the better strategies would be something along the lines of:
(a) try to get more customers to come play; and
(b) have more things the customers can play at the gym when there are not enough customers to play basketball.

Don't know what can be done about (a), but (b) suggests to me more new solo and small group activities and less new Atlantis, HS and other large group activities. What's the point of adding a soccer pitch to the gym when there are often not even enough customers to play basketball?
----------------------------------------
Pomfret of Midnight Cerulean and Most Oceans
Except when I am Scroogie or somebody else

Stupid merger made me change my signature...
[Sep 22, 2010 9:25:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

You're quite right, Pomfret. (a) 'get more customers' is of no help because they've been trying it all along, and mostly I moved straight to (c) 'consolidate your operations' simply because they've been so resistant to anything more than marginal (b) 'make your game playable without lots of people' (like the tiny increase in bots staying). I do think (b) would be better all around, but I don't OOO is willing to entertain it, unfortunately.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Sep 23, 2010 11:45:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Demonboyred

I believe the largest problem with (B) is that OOO still wants this to be a social game. If we're still speaking in reference to the gym, I'd say we need more activities, say, free throw shooting, instead of pickup games. We still continue a basketball-related activity, but we can do it by ourselves, without restriction to anyone else.

While smaller > larger group activities are what the majority of the population re asking for, OOO continues to deliver larger activities, with a miniscule smaller group activity (Say, Haunted Seas here). If OOO wants the population to stay happy, while they continue with updates and new ideas, I believe they need to take a small step away from larger group activites, and more on smaller group, or solo based projects.

Sadly, they will not do this, since they intend this game to be a huge social enjoyment, not a solo game.
Bunnyspawn, Malachite's most arrogant player.

Also Bunnyspawn on Sage and Hunter;Disgraced on Viridian.

I support PvP in sinking environments.
[Sep 26, 2010 4:07:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Exquisitivee

i have a suggestion, why dont u just merge all 3 dubloon oceans? each ocean is becoming lonely coz there arent much players anymore so y not just merge?...

How are you expecting to merge 7 dubloon oceans into one? Have a lag-infested all-in-one ocean? There's a reason there's 7 oceans...
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Exquisitivee at Sep 26, 2010 4:16:00 PM]
[Sep 26, 2010 4:15:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
pomfret

Sadly, they will not do this, since they intend this game to be a huge social enjoyment, not a solo game.

I believe that the inability to marry the two is actually a failure of imagination.
Pomfret of Midnight Cerulean and Most Oceans
Except when I am Scroogie or somebody else

Stupid merger made me change my signature...
[Sep 26, 2010 9:59:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
StuManchu

i have a suggestion, why dont u just merge all 3 dubloon oceans? each ocean is becoming lonely coz there arent much players anymore so y not just merge?...

How are you expecting to merge 7 dubloon oceans into one? Have a lag-infested all-in-one ocean? There's a reason there's 7 oceans...

The online population of all of today's oceans concurrently pretty much measures up to peak times on Midnight at its heyday in early 05, and server infrastructure has doubtless evolved substantially since then so lag has absolutely nothing to do with the ridiculous amount of barriers to executing the merger plan.
Was once Stuyvesant

Redistribute your wealth, or we'll redistribute your blood.
[Sep 30, 2010 10:35:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kyosuke

The game was much more aggressive when it was a lot of people fighting over less territory.

I miss those days.
Dario of Viridian
[Oct 14, 2010 4:22:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hamsterz4

What I think they should do...

Have the linked arch idea = you can travel from ocean to ocean, and thus, you can attack other oceans with the same ships you use on ocean 1.

Also, there should be mainland, that would be controlled the same way as blockade and work as islands, but more people can settle there. The mainland would meet with all 4 regular dubloon oceans (forget opal jade and crimson.... :/)
Mamabuns tells ye, ">.> do not talk to me"
Guess who's back... back again.
[Oct 16, 2010 6:44:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 

Remove all current oceans. Bring back Azure.
Bring back foraging for commodities

Age - Senior Officer of the Falcon's Fury on Midnight(former)
Age - a pea on Malachite(former)
Age - a Disfuntional Family member on Cobalt
[Oct 17, 2010 5:00:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rockthered

Remove all current oceans. Bring back Azure.

Genius.
[Oct 26, 2010 7:45:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hamsterz4

Real answer:

How are you gonna replace everything that will be lost in the merge? We're talking about flags, stalls, houses, furniture, poe, crews, islands, archs, boats, stats, pirates, etc. The only thing that will effectively carry over is dubloons. Everything else goes boom.

"Just merging" leads to a whole lot of damage and insanity.

We should do it just for the blockade scene of the ex-malachite flags against the ex-huntard flags.

That'd be a nice laugh.
Mamabuns tells ye, ">.> do not talk to me"
Guess who's back... back again.
[Nov 5, 2010 6:19:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
IantheKorean

The oceans should be merged so we can have a single, enormous parley subforum constantly active with the most ridiculous nonsense at all hours. Just imagine, the activity for your ocean's parley being multiplied by five! Obviously the best reason for a merge yet.
[Nov 6, 2010 7:14:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Amatoria

Alas 0 x 5 = 0

The joy of Malachite =)
[Nov 6, 2010 7:39:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Furreal5

Funny how all this people think it would be impossible and now it's happening.... probably all quit by now.
Maxamoose of Emerald

Prince- Stay Classy

SO- Hashtag
[Jan 3, 2012 3:18:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Anguszbull

I laughed when I realised the date on the OP and laughed even more when I re-read the thread. All those who said it will never happen/is impossible/Three Rings wont do it must be feeling a bit silly now.
I know forums are an avenue for ideas and expressions but the attitude of some of the more regular posters here beggars belief. I realise this was just one of many threads from past years asking for a merge but the same posters came and trampled on this one as they did every other one. No!! no merge you idiot.... Impossible! Will not happen! Haha, who is the stupid one now?
I was not the OP, I just get a little laugh when people like the prolific forum posters who take themselves so seriously get boned.
[Jan 4, 2012 1:16:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kenjennings

Of course everything is clearer in hindsight. The posters were pretty much in-line with what everyone had been saying for years, so there's nothing wrong with them discrediting such an idea.
[removed by SOPA]
[Jan 4, 2012 3:28:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
skiffygrrl

There's 4 doubloon oceans.There are 7 6 doubloon oceans, 4 English, 1 Spanish, 1 German, and 1 family.

Fixed

Fixed further.

The Crimson Ocean went the way of the Dodo some time back.

(sorry, just found this thread).
Adrianalidah and variants everywhere
Gwynhwyfahr in a few places

Current avatar courtesy of a game glitch, Halloween 2008
[Edit 2 times, last edit by skiffygrrl at Jan 5, 2012 5:02:50 PM]
[Jan 5, 2012 4:56:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.sff.net/people/a.gormley    skiffygrrl [Link]  Go to top 
cumgetsum

lolz so i was right about 1 1/2 years ago, but now im not sure if im gonna like or hate this merge coz there are downsides to this too but still, i hope it will be fun :P
[Jan 6, 2012 2:02:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Airion

I laughed when I realised the date on the OP and laughed even more when I re-read the thread. All those who said it will never happen/is impossible/Three Rings wont do it must be feeling a bit silly now.
I know forums are an avenue for ideas and expressions but the attitude of some of the more regular posters here beggars belief. I realise this was just one of many threads from past years asking for a merge but the same posters came and trampled on this one as they did every other one. No!! no merge you idiot.... Impossible! Will not happen! Haha, who is the stupid one now?
I was not the OP, I just get a little laugh when people like the prolific forum posters who take themselves so seriously get boned.

What I find funny is that people assumed any merge would mean everyone having to start all over again. It didn't occur to one single person that we'd get to take all our stuff with us.

Thanks for your post, btw. I didn't check the dates when I first read it so it didn't make any sense. Now it does. :)
Don't wait for the perfect moment, take a moment and make it perfect.
[Jan 8, 2012 2:16:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Anguszbull

Of course everything is clearer in hindsight. The posters were pretty much in-line with what everyone had been saying for years, so there's nothing wrong with them discrediting such an idea.

I know what you are saying and actually agree, but it still doesn't change the dogmatic way some of the posters said it will never happen! I got a bit of a kick seeing some of them getting it wrong. I also loved reading some of the reasons for not merging, things that cannot, absolutely will not be done. They are happening now.

Anyway I dont think it will make much difference to the game in general. I was on Midnight yesterday and there was 36 pirates and Cobalt had 43, so after the merge I can hope to see around 70 pirates on, woot!

I did like the community spirit on the test oceans but that was only done by Pirates who care, I didn't see any OM's doing anything like big ship pillages etc, etc. They may have happened and I missed them but I check the forum everyday, so if they were doing specific testing and had it on the Notice Board and The Announcements in the Forum they may have more people interested. I know many who don't read the forums and dont read the blurb that comes up when you log in (also the blurb changes and on an alt, I did not get anything about the Ocean Merge until very recently)

I want this to be successful and I will do my best to be friendly to the other ocean that we are merging with, I hope everyone will do that as well.
[Jan 13, 2012 12:29:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kohinoor

I think they forgot to merge the German and Spanish oceans with the English ones... there is barely someone playing there and most of the automatic tournaments get losts because there are not even 4 players with badge.... 1 doubloon is 5k Poe... it's impossible to play!!
they should merge or quit, I don't think there are other solutions...

Lubu on Jade Ocean
[Jun 21, 2012 1:47:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Randomite

I think they forgot to merge the German and Spanish oceans with the English ones... there is barely someone playing there and most of the automatic tournaments get losts because there are not even 4 players with badge.... 1 doubloon is 5k Poe... it's impossible to play!!
they should merge or quit, I don't think there are other solutions...

Lubu on Jade Ocean

Those oceans are there more for the language than the gameplay.

If you want my advice, do runs on Emerald or Meridian and then transfer doubs over to Jade; your money will be doubled whenever you transfer it and then it won't cost so much to buy things on your home ocean.
Disengaged.

Dexade tells ye, "i m not talking to you and dont want your cookies!"
[Jun 23, 2012 2:54:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 82   Pages: 3   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates