• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 16
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7057 times and has 15 replies Next Thread
amyliz33

What Do Commodities Look Like? Reply to this Post

After consulting with several herbologists, mineralogists, geologists, botanists, dendtrologists, puzzologists, and pirateologists I stumbled upon a detailed sketch of many useful commodities found naturally in our world. It is certain in my mind that you can harvest the indigenous resources of islands if you can find rocks or plants resembling these varieties there. The following notes should explain the sketch above somewhat further.

Herbs (back row):
Nettle - Green
Madder - Red
Weld - Yellow
Elderberries - Blue

Herbs (front row):
Butterfly Weed - Orange
Cowslip - Aqua
Lilly of the Valley - Lime
Yarrow - White
Sassafras - Black
Old Man's Beard - Brown
Iris Root - Gray
Broom Flower - Pink
Lobelia - Violet
Pokeweed Berries - Purple
Indigo - Navy

Minerals:
Lorandite - Red
Leushite - Brown
Tellurium - White
Thorianite - Black
Chalcocite - Gray
Cubanite - Yellow
Serandite - Pink
Papagoite - Blue
Sincosite - Green
Masuyite - Orange

Other:
Hemp - Five-pronged leaves
Sugar Cane - Long stalks and leaves
Rock - Gray granite rocks
Wood - Oak trees only
Iron - Very dark rocks

If anyone finds this research to be incomplete, please let me know and I'll add any changes to my notes. (I have some apprehension due to the changes in appearance of many of the herbs and minerals a couple of months ago - this research represents the current standard and there are likely many instances of the old herbs and minerals still existing and spawning.)
----------------------------------------
Nazdar & Amyliz
[Feb 24, 2005 8:25:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Re: What Do Commodities Look Like? Reply to this Post

You will notice that each herb will corrospond with a herb graphic from the trade screen, and the same with the minerals. Herbs and minerals of the right colour but the wrong graphic type are not commodities. Thanks for the image and descriptions! :)
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Feb 24, 2005 8:46:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Rappak

This can now be varified. There's a pink stone that looks like Serandite in a Papagoite form, but there is no Serandite produced.
Rappak, memmer of the oceans.

Rappak- Ex-king of Something Powerful (Cobalt)/ex-Lord of Indestructible Fury, a caged free-bird forever.
Rappak- Officer in Easily Distracted (Midnight)/Mem helper in CT/Where am I?
[Apr 19, 2005 10:36:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Rappak wrote: 
This can now be varified. There's a pink stone that looks like Serandite in a Papagoite form, but there is no Serandite produced.

You mean verified? It has been since the editor info was posted...
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Apr 19, 2005 11:06:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Rappak

uh... Yeah... I can't spell worth crap.
Rappak, memmer of the oceans.

Rappak- Ex-king of Something Powerful (Cobalt)/ex-Lord of Indestructible Fury, a caged free-bird forever.
Rappak- Officer in Easily Distracted (Midnight)/Mem helper in CT/Where am I?
[Apr 19, 2005 2:45:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sappington

amyliz33 wrote: 

It is certain in my mind that you can harvest the indigenous resources of islands if you can find rocks or plants resembling these varieties there.

Little bit of a *bump* here, but has this been verified? I ask because a friend of mine and I went out last night to test this (Viridian). We visited several deserted islands between Dragon's Nest and Prolix and scoured the entire island before using hours toward forage. We both saw lots of weld, cowslip, and broom flower (according to the pic), but when we foraged all we turned up was crappy stuff like rambutans.

So, I guess either the above statement isn't accurate, or just because you see the commodity itself doesn't mean you'll turn it up when foraging. Anyone know what the probability rates are for turning up each commodity?
BIODIESEL: No War Required!
[May 13, 2005 2:42:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sin1man

You never forage commodities, only fruit, and maybe gems, and maybe gold. You used to be able to forage the commodities but the system was changed as the foraging system before did not work well. The graphics you see simply allow you to know what commodities are available on that island for the merchant brigands to bring to civilization and when/if a market is built what will be available for market bidding.
Simman

Nemo says, "I typo too."
[May 13, 2005 2:47:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Simman3 [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

54x wrote: 
Rappak wrote: 

You mean verified? It has been since the editor info was posted...

Mineral_large (colurisation: pink, <none>) is not serandite. There is one of these placed on Prolix Perlieu, but it does not spawn anything.

What Pip tried to do was something totally unprecedent. He, in some strange way, used Midnight as a test server, without him even knowing. [Crap, it sucks I was not online when he did that :'(... pfft, anyways]

Like a bad penny.
[May 13, 2005 3:01:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
emerson

Sappington wrote: 
Little bit of a *bump* here, but has this been verified? I ask because a friend of mine and I went out last night to test this (Viridian). We visited several deserted islands between Dragon's Nest and Prolix and scoured the entire island before using hours toward forage. We both saw lots of weld, cowslip, and broom flower (according to the pic), but when we foraged all we turned up was crappy stuff like rambutans.

Before the introduction of Merchants, this was all foragable. Now, as you say, it is not... This was changed since the original thread was created.
Cleaver shouts, "I lub this island."
Personally I think that TITS are a technique if they are used less than once every three moves. Any more than that, and you're just waving your exploits in their faces. - Flamer
[May 13, 2005 3:10:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sappington

Thanks for the clarification. What's the point of foraging, then, if the only items of value you have a chance of finding are gems and gold, which are extremely rare as is? Seems like the labor is much better spent in a stall.
[May 13, 2005 5:11:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bokodasu

Well, 1 gold ore on Midnight seems to go for around 25k. If you make, on average, 30 poe per hour at a stall, finding one is worth 833 (and 1/3) hours of your labor.

And people like to gamble.
[size=9]Tomyris, Cult of the Red Mantis, Looterati
Bonnie, Octafish Dream, Viridian
[May 13, 2005 5:14:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sappington

Good point, but then you also have to make sure you make it to port without getting pillaged. I wonder how many people have thought they struck it rich only to be pillaged before they could capitalize on it....
[May 13, 2005 5:29:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

i haven't yet heard of anybody pillaging a gold ore, has someone done it? with a bit of practice it's fairly easy to avoid getting hit by brigands by turning about and when that's not possible to run and disengage from battle when you do, and i would expect most people with gold ore on board to do this.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[May 13, 2005 11:14:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sin1man

emerson wrote: 
Sappington wrote: 

Before the introduction of Merchants, this was all foragable. Now, as you say, it is not... This was changed since the original thread was created.

Strangely enough though, this thread was started after the merchant system was added.
Simman

Nemo says, "I typo too."
[May 13, 2005 12:58:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Simman3 [Link]  Go to top 
AySz88

Strangely enough though, this thread was started after the merchant system was added.
"Harvest" is different from "forage". :p
-Darvian
SO of the Yellow Jackets on Park, Midnight
A++ C++ P L GD++ Dnone C Bl++ Sa+ Gu+ SF+ N+++ Bn Dr R+ Al Sh++ B+ F+++ S+
[May 14, 2005 5:38:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    AySz88    AySz88 [Link]  Go to top 
emmalgarside

This is probably an obvious question, but can the commodities appear rotated?
[Jul 31, 2005 12:15:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates