• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 21
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3138 times and has 20 replies Next Thread
Grandmasta_

How do I make alot of PoE? Reply to this Post

I sound like a nub for asking but i was curious as to how people get alot of poe. I have done SMHs and pillys and got around 40k - 50k saved up and I promise myself not to spend it but then I check poker tables and see people making 100k just from 15k. I try it and fail epicly, I understand that I could just do a wager ban but that means I won't be able to participate in 1v1 SFs that involve items or small amounts of PoE. So what do you suggest? Merchanting? Running my own SMH?
Please alot of help would be wonderful.
kthx (:
----------------------------------------
Grandmasta
[Jul 30, 2010 5:37:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yaizi

Re: How do I make alot of PoE? Reply to this Post

The first lesson I learned in this game (after playing it 4 months :s :p) was: there's no easy way of making poe.

Unless you're good at poker or other inn-games. Tournements can help you get poe aswell... but competition is hard in those things.
[Jul 30, 2010 6:18:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chaosrunner9

When you have low amounts of cash, be patient. Just build it up slowly. In PP, you need money to make money.

You can easily snag up cheap ships or items from desperate poker players at the inn, then resell them for more. Running an SMH works, but it's also a gamble. If you aren't experienced enough you could lose poe as easily as you can win it, not to mention people will be hesistant to job for you if you have a reputation for sinking.

If you want to prevent yourself from spending PoE, buy a small chest and store the poe there. I find that it helps if you can't see your PoE directly. (Beware of poker maniac roommates however)

Most people who play poker are terrible. People who regularly make a profit from poker are usually much more skilled, (and not lucky). If you keep losing in poker try reading some guides. Remember that going all in with a pair of 8s isn't always the wisest thing to do.
[Jul 30, 2010 6:19:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

then I check poker tables and see people making 100k just from 15k. I try it and fail epicly

Those people who make 100k from just 15k? Here's a hint: that 100k does not magically poof into their pockets. It comes from someone else...

As for the best way to make PoE? There are several ways:

* Job in paywar blockades
* Learn how to buy and resell stuff (warning: can lose you money)
* Start a shop (warnings: can lose you money. Takes time. Requres startup capital. Not suited to everyone.)
* Be patient (warning: being patient sucks. But it works.)
* Pull out a credit card and support this game (warning: can produce PoE quickly on green oceans only)
* Get very lucky in Atlantis or Cursed Isles (warning: requires substantial luck)
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Jul 30, 2010 8:15:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Freaks87

SMH's are for me, the easiest way to earn PoE, however if you dont have the time it isnt worth it. If you are really good at a puzzle try doing some CI's with it as they can get a lot.

Running my own SMH?

I wouldnt. It is to risky. First of all you need to earn the poe to pay for stock and the ship. Secondly you need to find a MAA bnaver and xo. Then you need to job people who hopefully wont laze. Finally you could sink and loose everything, in my opinion, to risky.
[Jul 31, 2010 1:26:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

I wouldnt. It is to risky. First of all you need to earn the poe to pay for stock and the ship. Secondly you need to find a MAA bnaver and xo.

Not going to argue with the risky part. But you can-- and should-- take one of those positions. And you can skip the XO on a war brig. So that's only one or two people to find.
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Jul 31, 2010 3:45:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Freaks87

I wouldnt. It is to risky. First of all you need to earn the poe to pay for stock and the ship. Secondly you need to find a MAA bnaver and xo.

Not going to argue with the risky part. But you can-- and should-- take one of those positions. And you can skip the XO on a war brig. So that's only one or two people to find.

Also on the positive side is that if you get through and back to port you could get a lot of PoE but the risks are heavier
[Jul 31, 2010 4:04:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aenor

I check poker tables and see people making 100k just from 15k.

Most people who turn 15k into 100k just turn around and turn that 100k into 0. If you want to make money at poker, you have to not think of it as gambling. You have to be patient and disciplined. If you wait for really good hands, and don't chase draws in the face of big raises, you almost can't lose.

The only difficulty is that playing winning poker can be boring. You can easily fold 30 or more consecutive hands pre-flop. The other secret is bankroll management. Until you're sure you can make a consistent profit, don't ever buy-in for more than 10% of your bankroll. So if you've only got 40,000 then your max buy-in should be 4,000. If you lose that on a bad play or a bad beat, you're down to 36,000 so your next buy-in should be 3,600.
Mat on the Meridian Ocean

Thank you to everyone who loves Blacksmithing!
[Jul 31, 2010 6:56:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

The only difficulty is that playing winning poker can be boring.

Quoted for emphasis. The last game I played I got a royal flush, took a couple people for everything they had at the table... then asked myself "So what?" and never returned.
[Jul 31, 2010 6:59:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

Elite pillaging is probably the highest PoE/hour fountain, and certainly the highest one that involves minimal risk. If you have the bnav skill to run one, even better. Jobbing on a sinking flotilla is also good if it's with a reliable navigator; running a sinking flotilla is probably the single most lucrative fountain but it's also quite risky.

Going around the green oceans on weekends for high-paying (3k/seg) blockades is a good one, too. 3k/seg will earn you an average of 48k if you work for all three rounds.
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[Jul 31, 2010 8:03:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Perenoel1

Blockades are definitely the fastest way to make poe, but those don't happen too often. A good sinking flotilla can make 10-15k per hour and a good atlantis can make 5-10k per hour. The problem is finding those good runs. Also, wager at things you win at, either Poker, hearts, drinking, swordfighting, ect. Only wager large amounts if you win.

I've also heard hiring for foraging and then fruit/gem running makes alot of money, but never did it myself.
Tzz Made of Fail on Midnight
Tzz's Ultimate puzzle Guide
[Jul 31, 2010 9:33:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kgarrett1969

All good advise. The one thing that I would add is that you should find something in the game you enjoy. Once you have the PoE will mount. As other have said you have to be patient to get to your PoE goal. There are no reliable ways to get a lot of PoE fast.

The best way for an average pirate to make PoE is pillaging or Blockades. The better you are at puzzles the more PoE you will make because you'll be able to job onto high-end activities. Most of all have fun at what you do and the PoE will follow in due course.
Hawkings
Captain & Tactitian of Odin's Demise
King of Morrowind
Citizen of Viridian

Apollo wrote, "Hawkings has changed my life. ;)"
[Jul 31, 2010 9:57:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Loren_S

The key to making poe in the game is to get good in some of the puzzles, including metapuzzles. Besides pulling out a credit card there is no easy way to make money, all require some skill.

Blockades are probably the easiest way, but they happen relatively seldom. And even there you need to have enough skill to not be planked at least.

Being good at

- the piracy puzzle opens the way to elite pillages, CIs and atlantis
- bnav is probably the most consistent moneymaker
- parlor games incl. SF and poker can be very good, but have considerable risk
- crafting puzzles (incl. foraging) needs some alts with jobs and is very easy to maintain, but big profit needs big numbers
- shopkeeping and trading can be very profitable but need paticenc and some (basic) economic background
- itemtrading (a.k. inntrading) has its risks but is profitable
- social puzzle (incl. begging) can lead to much money, but few have enough skill to live of that alone :)
- illegal activities (stealing, scaming,...) can have high profit, but chances are very good that you will not enjoy it long.
CoatOSilver, Captain of Forget About It, Retired King of ©©©, Sage
[Aug 2, 2010 2:43:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
urbnsol

- illegal activities (stealing, scaming,...) can have high profit, but chances are very good that you will not enjoy it long.

You can be banned for this.
But hey, what ever you like to do.
[Aug 2, 2010 7:57:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chaosrunner9

It was a joke...
[Aug 2, 2010 8:11:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
false_dmitri

Loren_S wrote: 
- bnav is probably the most consistent moneymaker

People can set their restock high and keep everything left over at the end of the voyage (I don't, but it's pretty common). However, I would only call this "consistent" if the person running the ship is able to attract jobbers and nav successfully. If they spend hours waiting to load and mismanage the ship in various ways, they aren't earning more than they would by jobbing.

For instance, at the high end I'm used to seeing roughly 10-20k per jobber for someone who stays on the ship the entire time. Someone who pockets everything left after a brig pillage might make less than that if they lost a couple battles or have a low restock cut. I recommend running a ship if you enjoy it, not because it's a surefire way to make lots of money. Jobbing can make you wealthy if you pick the right voyages.

Ironically, "high-end" Atlantis appears to be better than pillaging for weak navvers. Nearly everyone I see in Atlantis goes left, right, left, right against the walls over and over. Doesn't matter if they're good or bad at nav. Against triketos, this strategy is almost unsinkable. It's less brain-dead than rocktrapping, but barely. But hey, it works. :) The reward is more loot for the navver than an average pillage. The drawback is that only people who've already made a name for themselves can expect to fill the larger ships quickly. That and the sinking.

Crafting puzzles won't make much money, especially on doubloon oceans. 30 PoE per hour will earn the player a little over 12k a month. Subtracting the trade value of a labor badge at current doubloon rates leaves 3k. And finding reliable 30 PoE per hour jobs can be difficult. Unless you can work your way up to expert labor (renowned rank in that puzzle), you'll have trouble even paying back the value of the badge on a doubloon ocean.

Foraging operations bring in a lot of money for the people running them. They require time aboard the forage ship to hire foragers, enough money to pay foragers, and the time and ability to move merchant brigs or galleons long distances. Plus the time and ability to move sloops full of gems and gold even longer distances if you want to maximize profit. Forage *jobbing* is usually a money loser on doubloon oceans, even more than shoppe jobs. Do it for fun, not profit.

In general, just pick a part of the game you like best and get good at it. You can make plenty of money doing just about anything if you're skilled enough.
On hiatus. :(
[Aug 2, 2010 12:53:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Siggy

It was a joke...

I believe the proper response is to post the following picture.

Sig

Owner: Sig Supply Network

What happens when you beat whiny sword fighters with overpowered trash swords...

Imcolorblind auto-responds, "sig hacks sf :) try and see".

[Aug 2, 2010 1:05:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    JPINFV [Link]  Go to top 
Freaks87

The best way for an average pirate to make PoE is pillaging or Blockades.

Blockades can get you loads. Even if they are on diffrent oceons, if you are on a dubloon oceon you can earn the poe, change it to dubs then it would be seen on your account in whatever oceon you play on and there you go more PoE and dubs.
[Aug 3, 2010 1:15:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

I've seen a lot of people sink while wall hugging. It's not as safe as people think. It does increase your sink rate of the enemies, but it's easy to get 'trapped' if you have a trike approaching you on either side.
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[Aug 3, 2010 4:31:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ChaosShadou

Out of habit I tend to go for the smaller tournies; most people (and most leg/ults) hit the bigger 20k+ tournies while us small fry stick to the 5k and below.
Win often enough and usually evens out between the two.
"Milk. It keeps you safe from all satanic troll attacks."
Asterea on Sage
[Aug 3, 2010 7:21:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
false_dmitri

BobJanova wrote: 
I've seen a lot of people sink while wall hugging. It's not as safe as people think. It does increase your sink rate of the enemies, but it's easy to get 'trapped' if you have a trike approaching you on either side.

It's safer for a below-average navver than heading to the middle of the board. It offers a decent chance to rack up lots of kills and leave with the ship intact, without even knowing how to navigate a whirlpool etc.
On hiatus. :(
[Aug 3, 2010 1:57:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates