• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 73
Posts: 73   Pages: 3   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 27890 times and has 72 replies Next Thread
ScaryMuffin

Re: Re: Reply to this Post

Ahem...

Where's Sagey? :-)

Silly tart, it's here

Muffin's first linky!

Scarymuffin-1, Faulkston-a kabillion gazillion

I feel so accomplished :)
----------------------------------------
Scarymuffin of the Sage Ocean

Apollo wrote: 
Duh. Sorry, Scarymuffin ate my brain.

[Aug 26, 2005 3:17:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lorkiria

Printable mappy stuff:

It's still fairly readable if you print it out with the scale oversize pages to fit option. First page is the map, second page is a list of islands & their commodities. All info matches what's on YPPedia. I didn't do extinct routes or the "shortcut" bits that are used when charting between non-adjacent islands or the island sizes/colonization status or route difficulty colors. You can jot that info down on your printout yourself.

I'll update the Sage file if additional routes are found and post a note that it's been updated. PM me if something's incorrect on 'em and I'll fix & post notice of such.

The PDF's are hosted on the wiki and can be accessed via the links below.

http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Image:Cobalt-viridian_ocean_map.pdf
http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Image:Midnight_ocean_map.pdf
http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Image:Sage_ocean_map.pdf

- Guppy

P.S. If for some reason you have an undying urge to have a copy of the original Illustrator files from which I generated the map portions, PM me. If you don't have Adobe Illustrator though, don't do that because it would just be silly.
"There is no salvation in becoming adapted to a world which is crazy." - Henry Miller
[Edit 1 times, last edit by lorkiria at Nov 21, 2005 7:30:33 PM]
[Sep 9, 2005 1:43:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
B_licker

One comment about your maps: Often times, when mapping a route, you can shortcut past an island, saving one league on your trip. For example, going from Papaya to Alpha, you can skip the league point at Byrne.

Papaya
\
\
* * Byrne
\
/
/
/
Alpha

There are numerous examples of this and they don't show up on your maps.
[Sep 9, 2005 2:05:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lorkiria

One comment about your maps: Often times, when mapping a route, you can shortcut past an island, saving one league on your trip. For example, going from Papaya to Alpha, you can skip the league point at Byrne.

Papaya
\
\
* * Byrne
\
/
/
/
Alpha

It's still fairly readable if you print it out with the scale oversize pages to fit option. First page is the map, second page is a list of islands & their commodities. All info matches what's on YPPedia. I didn't do extinct routes or the "shortcut" bits that are used when charting between non-adjacent islands or the island sizes/colonization status or route difficulty colors. You can jot that info down on your printout yourself.

"There is no salvation in becoming adapted to a world which is crazy." - Henry Miller
[Edit 1 times, last edit by lorkiria at Sep 9, 2005 2:40:05 PM]
[Sep 9, 2005 2:38:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

Spawn info (was: map of Sage) Reply to this Post

Your Sage map indicates that not all commodities are confirmed.

You can query the database directly, and determine which island spawns what.

Sample link:
http://midnight.puzzlepirates.com/yoweb/island/info.wm?islandid=48

Set ocean, island number, etc, and go.
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Sep 9, 2005 6:45:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
blue_jacket

Re: Spawn info (was: map of Sage) Reply to this Post

Only for colonized islands. That was changed just before Sage was released.
-Yaten
YPPedia administrator. Mostly retired.

[Sep 10, 2005 7:44:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    YatenPirate [Link]  Go to top 
lorkiria

Thanks to Tawnee, I've updated the Sage Ocean map with the Scrimshaw-Hinga route. While I was at it, I fixed the second page which had a mislabeled title & odd bit of Garnet info from Cob/Vir.

- Guppy
[Sep 14, 2005 9:28:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lorkiria

Ah, naturally right after I update it, the searched for route from Gauntlet to Barbary is found by Silversnap & Tawnee. The file's been updated again.

- Guppy
[Sep 15, 2005 2:02:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vurogj

I reckon there are two maps left to find. Gauntlet-Deadlight, and Bowditch-Scurvy Reef.

I was wrong about the Barbary interarch though (I guessed it went to Albatross), so don't take these guesses particularly seriously.
Older, crankier,
still haz da phat haiku skillz.
Tawnee on Midnight.
Apollo says, "Tawnee, I should have known you were involved."
[Sep 15, 2005 3:11:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    vurogj    vurojg [Link]  Go to top 
eguee

Papaya
\
\
* * Byrne
\
/
/
/
Alpha

I found another shortcut :
Olive
\
\
\
\ Hunters
\
/
/
/
/
DN
Everyone spells my
name incorrectly, it's a
g, and not a q.
You wrote: 
equee

Rightontime on Viridian
[Sep 19, 2005 4:08:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    I luv HWFO [Link]  Go to top 
Silversnap

Thanks to Tawnee, I've updated the Sage Ocean map with the Scrimshaw-Hinga route.

Ah, naturally right after I update it, the searched for route from Gauntlet to Barbary is found by Silversnap & Tawnee.

Tawnee, are you really finding these routes at exactly the same time as me? That is quite a coincidence. Or are you adding the route to the chart when you see that I have changed the text to say that the chart exists? If the latter, please could you check that I am not already doing it - I spent 10 minutes doing the Gauntlet to Barbary chart only to find that you'd sniped me. Just let me know first.
Silversnap, The Sea Hares, Day of the Tentacle, Viridian; Squids In, Hunter
Seaslug, Day Traders, Looterati, Midnight
[Sep 24, 2005 4:46:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vurogj

It's the latter. I kinda picked up the habit when I was checkin' maps, and there were cases of routes bein' in the island page but not updated on the island chart hours later. Is there a way to know what wiki pages are currently bein' edited?
Older, crankier,
still haz da phat haiku skillz.
Tawnee on Midnight.
Apollo says, "Tawnee, I should have known you were involved."
[Sep 24, 2005 5:00:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    vurogj    vurojg [Link]  Go to top 
Silversnap

Well you must be very quick - we are not talking hours but minutes. You could see what time I had edited the text, so you knew that it was literally minutes previously. It would be simple to either ask me if I was doing the chart or at least allow a reasonable time first. Guppymomma also noticed the text edit but spoke to me straight away in-game.
[Sep 24, 2005 5:05:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lorkiria

There is no way to see what pages are currently being edited. And looking at the logs, the time stamp for the edit to Barbary Island is 16:16 (adjusted to my time zone) whereas Tawnee's edit of the Ibis Arch was 16:59. For the actively watchful wiki editors, that actually tends to be a fair amount of time. Often I've seen correction edits or rollbacks of improper edits done in the same minute or within one minute.

I'd also like to note that the wiki is not some sort of a competition, it's about getting the information in there so it can be shared with others. Personally I've had fun before with Rappak in a race to see who could add text about a new route when we were both on the same exploring trip. I just laughed when I got "sniped" and happily just did some finishing formatting touches if they were needed.

- Guppymomma
[Edit 1 times, last edit by lorkiria at Sep 24, 2005 5:25:43 PM]
[Sep 24, 2005 5:25:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Silversnap

I'd also like to note that the wiki is not some sort of a competition, it's about getting the information in there so it can be shared with others. Personally I've had fun before with Rappak in a race to see who could add text about a new route when we were both on the same exploring trip. I just laughed when I got "sniped" and happily just did some finishing formatting touches if they were needed.

So why were you racing? Sounds like a competition to me :P. Oh well, I'll know next time.
/end derail
[Sep 25, 2005 3:39:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lorkiria

So why were you racing? Sounds like a competition to me :P. Oh well, I'll know next time.
/end derail

A race to get the info on the wiki to share with others, not really a race against each other. The difference is that neither of us was going to be upset or hold a grudge or complain about any "sniping."
[Sep 25, 2005 8:27:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lorkiria

Printable mappy stuff:

I'll update the Sage file if additional routes are found and post a note that it's been updated. PM me if something's incorrect on 'em and I'll fix & post notice of such.

- Guppy

P.S. If for some reason you have an undying urge to have a copy of the original Illustrator files from which I generated the map portions, PM me. If you don't have Adobe Illustrator though, don't do that because it would just be silly.

The Sage map has been updated. Thanks to Silversnap for pointing out a route that was missing from it (Cromwell - Isle of Kent).
[Edit 2 times, last edit by lorkiria at Nov 21, 2005 7:30:46 PM]
[Sep 29, 2005 7:00:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lorkiria

Re: PDF Maps Reply to this Post

Updated the Sage map with the new route mentioned here. Thanks to those who found it & posted about it.

I've also reuploaded the Midnight map with the little lines switched to look the same as the little lines on the other two maps. No route changes though, of course.

Hopefully the location of these maps will be moving to the wiki soon.

- Guppy
[Oct 29, 2005 10:46:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lorkiria

I've corrected a minor route mistake for Scurvy Reef to Ambush Island thingee (did a se, ne instead of an east). Thanks to Yaten for pointing it out.

- Guppy

Edit: Have also switched Descartes "Island" to its correct name. Also thanks to Yaten.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by lorkiria at Nov 9, 2005 9:54:04 PM]
[Nov 9, 2005 9:45:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lorkiria

The maps are now hosted on the wiki. http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Category:PDF_maps

I've edited my other posts to switch the links to the wiki. PM me if you spot one that I've missed.

- Guppy
[Nov 21, 2005 7:31:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jmucchiello

So there's no route difficulty information on these maps?
Colorbeard on all the Oceans
SO of Six Leagues Under (Midnight)
FO of SPAM (Cobalt)
[Nov 30, 2005 2:41:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lorkiria

Printable mappy stuff:

- Guppy

Nope. Since that's not "official" info and guesstimates weren't available for all oceans, I didn't put it in. Plus it was already a fair amount of work to produce the maps, so I didn't have the time to do extras. If you have Illustrator and the info and the desire to individually change line colors, I'm happy to provide the .ai files :)

- Guppy
[Nov 30, 2005 6:22:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

PDF is a horrible format for images of any sort, although it does achieve better printability ;D
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Dec 12, 2005 11:59:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
lorkiria

PDF is a horrible format for images of any sort, although it does achieve better printability ;D

And shockingly enough, printing is the actual niche of purpose that I created these maps for. I'm well aware that there are reasons why it's called PDF and not PIF ;) For browser viewability, there are wonderful images on the wiki using a template system. However, they print horribly. I notice they're not linked to from the ocean pages, I'll add 'em.

For staring at in browsers:
http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Template:Map:Midnight_Ocean
http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Template:Map:Cobalt_Ocean
http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Template:Map:Viridian_Ocean
http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Template:Map:Sage_Ocean

For staring at on paper:

You're always welcome to update your maps and upload them to the wiki to be hosted there if you wish. Currently there are links to your maps from some articles. Someone mentioned that there were a few errors on the Cobalt/Viridian that could use correcting though.

- Guppy
[Dec 13, 2005 6:01:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
doormat2005

Doesn't ANYONE know about Swampfen - Hunters Point?
Did I just tell a secret? *gasp* Don't ban me!
Remalle
Viridian

Eurydice tells you, "syntax error...arrrrgjioapdugfo...*BOOM*"
Eurydice tells you, "*puff of smoke*"

Eurydice tells you, "greenie bakup progrm instaled: wat u say"
[Dec 13, 2005 4:56:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Barrister

No such route exists. Don't tease the compulsive memmers.
Barrister
- YPPedia Administrator
- Looterati
[Dec 14, 2005 12:57:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Smackey

It would be hilarious if he busts out with his My Known World and shows that he has the route memmed. Or a screenshot of the map would be good.
"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal."- Friedrich Hayek
[Dec 14, 2005 3:08:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Barrister

It would be hilarious if he busts out with his My Known World and shows that he has the route memmed. Or a screenshot of the map would be good.

It sure would be hilarious. But without any proof, the poster should stop asking for changes to the wiki-based maps.
Barrister
- YPPedia Administrator
- Looterati
[Dec 14, 2005 3:50:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nalanthi

[viridian]
Ok, yppedia shows DN->Hunters Point and DN->Swampfen in the same colors. I know that I hit light blue brigs when I head out on the swamfen route and green's on the Hunters Point. I am wondering where the route data comes from. [/viridian]

Awesome work everyone.
Nalanthi - A Blatant PvPer, War Monger and Officer of the Falcon's Fury.
-Midnight (Retired)
Tamman - Head of a Merchant Empire, and Strategist of Black Plague
-Viridian (Retired)
Nalanthi - Mercenary and scalawag.
-Malachite
[Dec 19, 2005 9:32:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
imwamphyr

[viridian]
Ok, yppedia shows DN->Hunters Point and DN->Swampfen in the same colors. I know that I hit light blue brigs when I head out on the swamfen route and green's on the Hunters Point. I am wondering where the route data comes from. [/viridian]

Awesome work everyone.
You.

Most of it comes from players reporting "anecdotal evidence", which means though we can't prove a certain route is a certain color beyond the shadow of a doubt, we consider it certain when we have an overwhelming body of players reporting the same conclusions based on their experience.

Feel free to question what you see, it helps diamondblade and the others who work on these to develop more accurate maps.
Selling my Grunion Collection!
174 ships, 164 sloops, ALL GRUNIONS!
[Dec 20, 2005 2:05:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pirate Muroni [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 73   Pages: 3   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates