• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 10
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2551 times and has 9 replies Next Thread
Mortesecca

The Enlightened Guide to Naming Your Demon for Familiar Owners - Win 100.000 PoE or more [WINNER ANNOUNCED]

This event is coupled with the upcoming auction of a red monkey... or presumed such.

I, Mortesecca, professor emeritus of Demonology and Necromancy at Dis Educational Institute, have in fact found evidence that the familiar I am about to put up for sale is not a simple monkey, but rather a demonic creature.
As everyone knows,

A familiar animal, in folklore, is an animal believed to be possessed of magic powers such as the ability to change its shape. It may be a temporary form assumed by a spirit, devil or trickster god.

In confirmation of this claim, I have brought a grimoire page from the Cursed Isles depicting a veve of the beast.

Before auctioning the devil-monkey, I would like to make sure that I am going entrust it to a fellow demonologist who knows how to deal with such a malevolent spirit.
To prove your knowlegde on the subject, I have created a trivia that will put your worthiness to...
...the Test.

Rules and score
The test is made of 14 questions. Each question has a score attached, according to its difficulty. Question number 9, which requires multiple answers, has a fractional score.
The maximum score and final mark is 10.
The participant with the highest mark is the winner. In case of a tie, the winner will be determined according to the timestamp of the test.
Everyone can participate, no matter if they are going to bid on the auction or not, but since the more people bid on the monkey, the higher the prize will be, telling your hearties about the auction is a good idea.
The deadline is 11:59pm game time of July, the 25th. The auction is due to open on Friday, 23 at around Noon.
The results of the test will be posted only after having closed the auction.

Prizes
The overall winner will receive 2% of the selling price of the monkey once the auction will be closed and the transaction made. If the auction ends with no bids, the winner will receive anyway 2% of the starting bid price (5 Millions), which is 100.000 Pieces of Eight.

Discount on the sale
The winner of the auction will receive a discount on the selling price equal to his/her grade on the test (e.g. the monkey is sold for 8 Millions and the winner has scored 10, the final price will be only 7.2 Millions).
If the winner of the auction is also the overall winner of the test, then he/she will receive a total discount of 12% on the bid.

----------------------------------------
Mortesecca
Necromancer
Relic hunter
[Edit 4 times, last edit by Mortesecca at Jul 31, 2010 9:02:51 PM]
[Jul 16, 2010 11:33:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Siggy

Re: The Enlightened Guide to Naming Your Demon for Familiar Owners - Win 100.000 PoE or more [TRIVIA]

I love Google....
Sig

Owner: Sig Supply Network

What happens when you beat whiny sword fighters with overpowered trash swords...

Imcolorblind auto-responds, "sig hacks sf :) try and see".

[Jul 17, 2010 4:40:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    JPINFV [Link]  Go to top 
Nidhoeggr

Re: The Enlightened Guide to Naming Your Demon for Familiar Owners - Win 100.000 PoE or more [TRIVIA]

Thank you for this quiz :)
Nidhoeggr
Captain and Mascot of Silent Fools
[Jul 17, 2010 4:40:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mortesecca

Sig wrote: 
I love Google....

I love it too! It can be a great tool in the service of knowledge. I hope you guys learned something new as I did preparing the trivia. ;)

Nidhoeggr wrote: 
Thank you for this quiz :)

And thank you for participating! I wasn't definitely expecting such a great response.
Mortesecca
Necromancer
Relic hunter
[Jul 17, 2010 11:47:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fixated

I think this is lovely, wonderful idea. Kudos!
[Jul 17, 2010 1:17:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mortesecca

Quick update: The auction is now up!

If you feel you did well in the quiz,
spread the word!

The more bids, the more money for the winner of the event! ;)
Mortesecca
Necromancer
Relic hunter
[Jul 23, 2010 11:24:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mortesecca

Update: The auction is canceled due to lack of interest.
As promised, the winner of this event will receive 100.000 Pieces of Eight.
Results are expected to be posted next Saturday.
Thanks for participating.
Mortesecca
Necromancer
Relic hunter
[Jul 28, 2010 9:04:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
chrkut

Shouldnt it be easier to get the results? >.>

Seeing as the people who used google probably got 100%, you just look for the first one in the time space, and if you did the webpaget o grade it for you..

Oh wait.. Not everyone took Web Dev..
~Chrkut~
SO of Perilous Puppets
[Jul 29, 2010 10:35:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Onocron

Don't have to be a smartass. <3
Shout.
[Jul 30, 2010 11:39:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mortesecca

Solutions

Apparently Google alone is not enough and reading carefully the questions is generally a good idea.

7. In the early 1300s, the members of one of the most famous Western Christian military orders were charged with several offences: apostasy, heresy and idolatry, among others. What is the name of the Pagan deity or demon they were accused to worship?

The answer clearly wasn't Knights Templar.

Another example of this kind:

6. What is the name of the leader of the demons who guards the Eighth Circle of Hell in Dante's Inferno?

Malebranche is the name of the group of demons, not of their leader.

1. Lucifer
2. Astaroth
3. Iblis
4. Azazel
5. Leviathan
6. Malacoda
7. Baphomet
8. Belfagor
9. Asmodeus, Zabulon, Isacaaron Astaroth, Gresil, Amand, Leviatom, Behemot, Beherie, Easas, Celsus, Acaos, Cedon, Alex, Naphthalim, Cham, Ureil, and Achas
10. Vassago, Seere, Dantalion, Andromalius
11. Beelzebub
12. Mephistopheles
13. Moloch
14. Belial

Notes

Spelling
Alternative spellings of these names have been accepted, as long as they didn't refer to a different referent (e.g. Asael != Azazel , Ashtoreth != Astaroth ).

Question #9
Like previously stated in the rules,

Question number 9, which requires multiple answers, has a fractional score.

In order to get the full score you should have listed all the answers. Naming only two demons has granted only 0.25 points. I'm sorry if this wasn't clear enough, however I am assuming for some it was, since several participants listed them all.

And the winner is...

Scrim, with 9.00 and a timestamp of 21/7/2010, 10:57 am (local time).

The rest of results can be obtained sending me a PM within a week.

Thank you all for participating.
Mortesecca
Necromancer
Relic hunter
[Jul 31, 2010 9:02:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates