• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 13
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2443 times and has 12 replies Next Thread
Angelisa

Patriotic Tournaments

So I've been milling over posting this in my mind for a couple of weeks now and i've finally decided to post.

I guess my question is...why on an international game, did we have inn tournaments celebrating the American holiday? Please do not get me wrong...this is by no means me saying it should not be celebrated...but why wasn't Canada Day (July 1) or say any other countries birthday or day of indepencence celebrated in tournament?

In my opinion (and I'm sure there will be those who disagree) I feel that the tournaments need to cover a broader scope of ethnicity. The tournaments around Christmas time seem to be a better example. They are holiday tournaments more then "Christmas" tournaments. And again please do not get me wrong...I know there have been other "holiday" tournmanents that have spand a wider market (St. Patty's day etc.), but this is still just my opinion.

Anyways, that's about it...thank you for your time.
----------------------------------------
Captain SO of Voice of Truth
Queen of The Known Truth
Angelisa's Apothecary Stall on Oyster. Some of the cheepest prices in the arch, come check it out.
[Jul 15, 2010 1:45:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Re: Patriotic Tournaments

Well, why not? Any excuse for a party. (And no, I'm not American.) As with all tourneys, the parameters, names, inscriptions, etc, are whatever the event runner feels like putting up. I imagine the decision process went something like, "Oh it's my turn to make some tourneys, hmm, what can I use for a theme today. Presto!" I've seen OM-sponsored tourneys for some of the bizarrest non-holidays, like Pi Day (March 14th, because in the US, that's 3/14), and many major ones get missed. But that's okay, because if any holiday, event, or whatever, is important to a specific player, they can throw a tourney up themselves, with an inscribed trinket explaining why (Bluekiwi's Chinese New Year celebrations, the many Lime Days on Cobalt, Canada Day). Inclusiveness is nice, but asking for it to be too formalized is going to lead to fewer events, not more. I'd rather have the OMs spending their time creating tournaments than tracking what has and hasn't had a freebie given to it. Just setting up a single tourney or competition on all of the oceans can take upwards of an hour of an OM's time already.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Jul 15, 2010 1:52:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
madzack2918

Three Rings is based in the United States, so it makes sense that they would celebrate American holidays more so than international holidays.
Omegaking of Emerald

Antix says, "Jesus was technically buried in a rock trap, and he came out alive. So I think it's a sign you have to rock trap."
Geologist says, "Wait, you're comparing Kory to Jesus?"

[Jul 15, 2010 1:55:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

Well, why not? Any excuse for a party. (And no, I'm not American.)

I've seen OM-sponsored tourneys for some of the bizarrest non-holidays, like Pi Day (March 14th, because in the US, that's 3/14),

Pi Day should be a week today. 22/7.

Wait, you are a Canadian Pie, Pi! Full Disclosure!
[Jul 15, 2010 1:56:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Siggy

So I've been milling over posting this in my mind for a couple of weeks now and i've finally decided to post.

I guess my question is...why on an international game, did we have inn tournaments celebrating the American holiday?

Because Three Rings is based in the United States of America. If, for example, Crowd Control Productions wanted Icelandic holidays in Eve-Online, they could.

Please do not get me wrong...this is by no means me saying it should not be celebrated...but why wasn't Canada Day (July 1) or say any other countries birthday or day of indepencence celebrated in tournament?

I wasn't on for all of July 1st, but I did see one tournament dedicated to Canada on July first.

In my opinion (and I'm sure there will be those who disagree) I feel that the tournaments need to cover a broader scope of ethnicity.

Nothing stopping you from putting up a tourney dedicated to what ever you want. I ran a tourney today with about 10k in prizes (5k pot, wrapped pirate badge, 2 test swords, and a card) dedicated to "Having a good day."
Sig

Owner: Sig Supply Network

What happens when you beat whiny sword fighters with overpowered trash swords...

Imcolorblind auto-responds, "sig hacks sf :) try and see".

[Jul 15, 2010 2:05:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    JPINFV [Link]  Go to top 
Angelisa

Pie thank you for your explanation. I know I had my thoughts on it, but your post does give me more to think about and it all makes sense you rock :)
Captain SO of Voice of Truth
Queen of The Known Truth
Angelisa's Apothecary Stall on Oyster. Some of the cheepest prices in the arch, come check it out.
[Jul 15, 2010 2:15:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
djibouti

...but why wasn't Canada Day (July 1) or say any other countries birthday or day of indepencence celebrated in tournament?

But then they have to distinguish between which country's independence day is worthy enough of having a tournament. Unless you want a tournament for the ~200 countries of the world. Of course then you have to pick a definition of what a "country" is. The CIA lists 195 official countries. The UN only has 192 members. The wikipedia page for sovereign states has 203 members.
And then what about non-independence holidays? Should there be tourneys for ANZAC day? But then what if they don't put up a tourney for Volkstrauertag? Then people will think they're implying Oceania is superior to Germany.

Maybe it would be easier to just stick with the holidays of the country where they're based.
Crispix
Pirates of the Damned
Yar, the laws of science be a harsh mistress.
[Jul 15, 2010 3:25:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
v76odessa

There was a Canada DayTournament this year wasent there?
Vova

Home at Dies Irae.

Harrjm tells you " I always wished I could grow up to be you"
[Jul 16, 2010 6:05:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lazyeyes1991

Yeah there was one or two.

I am wondering why there is still the tournaments going on.
Lesgreg
[Jul 16, 2010 6:59:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Donsmythe

Yeah there was one or two.

I am wondering why there is still the tournaments going on.

Laziness or flakiness.

Apparently, when an OM creates a named tournament, it is always repeating until they turn it off. If they forget to turn it off, or just don't bother, it will keep repeating forever.

(This was explained to be the case even for one-off tournaments like familiars. A while back, there was a rumble familiar tournament for a green octopus on Malachite that the OMs forgot to turn off - it popped up again a week or so later, unexpectedly. The OMs explained in the forums that it was a booch - the OM who originally set it up forgot to turn it off afterwards.)
[Jul 16, 2010 9:55:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://don.yacktman.org/blog/    yackd [Link]  Go to top 
pomfret

Please don't ask OMs to turn off tournaments. I could not care less if they celebrate the national holiday of a small pacific island. So long as we have more tournaments.
Pomfret of Midnight Cerulean and Most Oceans
Except when I am Scroogie or somebody else

Stupid merger made me change my signature...
[Jul 23, 2010 10:03:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
funnybones

I thought the 4th of July tournaments were supposed to run all month.. I'm more curious why the funny-colored rose tournaments are still showing up. And annoyed that I never see either of the drinking ones.

By the way, I would have thought there'd be some objection to the name "Declaration of Drinkin' Dependence."
The Dread Pirates Robinson & Barthes, LLC

The poor complain; they always do. But that's just idle chatter.
Our system brings rewards to all. At least, to all who matter.

[Jul 23, 2010 10:19:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
v76odessa

Would be nice if they changed the prizes this tuesday, the TD tourny spcificly, this is the 3rd or 4th lemon rose given out this year in tournments, and all but one where TD. The extra july 4th tournaments dont bother me though since they wont be replaced by anything. Sadly canada day was only 1 day and july 4th has been going for 6-7 weeks now. I think the rose ones have been much longer.
Vova

Home at Dies Irae.

Harrjm tells you " I always wished I could grow up to be you"
[Jul 24, 2010 12:55:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates