• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 12
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1234 times and has 11 replies Next Thread
Meghaford

blackspotting Reply to this Post

Today I had the unfortunate necessity of dealing the blackspot today... but as I was on my new alternate character (they requested I keep them anonymous) I had no crew, and no experience so could not deal the blackspot.

I do, however, feel that I should be able to deal the blackspot on whatever character I play. (although this gets into the same sharing issues as sea battle experience did)

My other thought was to allow a text explanation for a blackspot, seeing as there are many different reasons to blackspot someone. (then again this requires space...) This would be a way to determine what a player is doing wrong that everyone is blackspotting them... swearing, cheating, talking dirty...

Would it not also be beneficial for a pirate to recieve a record of all these blackspots every 24 hours. This way they can correct their ways without direct intervention of the developers (saving time and money) Or they will continue in their evil ways and be blackspotted to death. (this report should be account wide, not character specific.)

just some thoughts.
----------------------------------------
--Ursela, Captain of the Dastards
... and a few others ...
[Aug 14, 2003 5:35:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.rjmlb.com [Link]  Go to top 
Meghaford

Re: blackspotting Reply to this Post

For instance, my problems today...

Was defiled (as unnamed new character)... tried to blackspot <need to be an officer or captain to blackspot>

ok, log on as Ursela... tried to "/blackspot veryrudebeard because he was rude" <invalid username>

well I booched because I didn't know what was going on... lets try that again... "/blackspot veryrudebeard" <avast, ye deal the blackspot too often>

ok... then lets wait 15 min... "/blackspot veryrudebeard" <avast, ye need to be close to that char to blackspot>

AARG!!
... and a few others ...
[Aug 14, 2003 5:58:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.rjmlb.com [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

What exactly is the 'blackspot'?
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Aug 30, 2003 5:20:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
meiadm

Lizzie wrote: 
What exactly is the 'blackspot'?

as I understand it - it's a way of telling the developers - "I've been herassed, cheated, duped, annoyed - or whatever - by this person" - look into it, and delete the account if ye agree with me.
Frizzan - Gone for good
[Aug 30, 2003 6:09:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

So its just making a complaint? Only the ringers know about it?
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Aug 30, 2003 6:12:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
meiadm

Lizzie wrote: 

I'd say - that if a person really doesn't abide by the rules of the game, as well as normal courtesy, I'd rather like the ringers to know about it than anyone else.

I'm unsure whether the person being dealt it knows it or not.
Frizzan - Gone for good
[Aug 30, 2003 6:16:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

meiadm wrote: 
Lizzie wrote: 

I'd say - that if a person really doesn't abide by the rules of the game, as well as normal courtesy, I'd rather like the ringers to know about it than anyone else.

I'm unsure whether the person being dealt it knows it or not.

Ok thank ye.. just wanted to know for me Terminology thread.
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Aug 30, 2003 6:17:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
garf

actually, there is a difference. if someone is swearing at ye or otherwise behaving in an explicitly prohibited way, ye can use "/complain dumbswearer has insulted me". that will send the ringers a recent chatlog so they can verify and take action.

the blackspot (im not sure its really working at the moment) is a tool to bring pirates that dont directly violate a rule, but of whom you still think they dont belong into the game for whatever reason, to the ringers attention. that can be people who behave badly, but dont directly harrass or swear. it could be someone who betrayed ye in the game without actually cheating or bug-exploiting. it could be a captain or officer who doesnt give ye a share when ye deserve one.

complains usually will result in swift action if justified.

blackspots, on the other side, add up, so if many people blackspot someone, the ringers (or ocean masters or whoever will be in charge) will put an eye on him.

at least that was my understanding.
- Randal

[size=9]also Garf, Silvain and a few others
[Aug 30, 2003 7:11:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    garf+on+aim [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

Ok, thank you. :)
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Aug 30, 2003 7:26:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

The blackspot is working, and I believe garf has the gist of the difference. So, Ursela, if you have an immediate and universal complaint about someone, use /complain. If you would like to send someone a piratey warning, use the blackspot. Both send us chatlogs, but only the blackspot tells the recipient of his punishment.

A word on using /complain: Please inform the recipient of your complaint of your desire for him to change his behavior (for example: "Please don't swear like that or I will have you removed"). It makes it much easier to deal with them later, and some people actually will respect your wishes. Of course, if someone is going above and beyond, there is no need to get involved. We will, of course, listen to any issues reported, large or small, but if the offending person is called on it at the time, it means far fewer "why me?" e-mails...

-Nemo
[Aug 30, 2003 8:28:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Meghaford

Aye, I was previously unaware of the /complain command...

/em knocks herself in the head and goes back to read all the updates she missed.
... and a few others ...
[Aug 30, 2003 12:57:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.rjmlb.com [Link]  Go to top 
garf

two questions about the blackspot, though:

i understand it currently does not take a comment, right? peoples reports read as if "/blackspot name some comment" results in an error message. if it doesnt, it should. the examples from piratey parlacy give fine examples where i would want to /blackspot players without having an immediate bad experience with them. also, some of the situations wouldnt show in chatlogs, or you notice it too late and when you find the person to blackspot him, the chatlog doesnt show anything.

also, i recall you, nemo, mentioning that governors using /blackspot results in the target not being able to make that governors island home. is that process reversible in any way not involving work for ye ringers?
- Randal

[size=9]also Garf, Silvain and a few others
[Aug 30, 2003 11:06:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    garf+on+aim [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates