• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 262
Posts: 262   Pages: 9   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 34032 times and has 261 replies Next Thread
DeepNine

Ragnarok

In hoary years gone by, Midnight was an exciting place filled with activity and bustle and empty of clutter. The few shops that existed were placed carefully, pleasing to the eye and conducive to commerce. People loved to pillage, compete, and bicker with each other, creating an interesting and fun environment where there was always someone to play with. The ocean thrived and, typical of thriving populations, pirates began bidding for power.

The wars began. Slights both real and imagined drew the battle lines. Single islands were blockaded week after week after week, amidst cries of griefing and skipped birthdays. The game was tested to its limits as each side attempted to gain the upper hand. Feelings were hurt. Tarting was had. Pirates were banned. And it was all a hell of a lot of fun.

Then, after a certain point, people stopped. The game had peaked; for whatever reason, people weren't having as much fun anymore. One by one, the men and women of vision who made the game great found other ways with which to spend their time. The major powers that did not wither away destroyed themselves and each other until only one remained. With nothing to hold their interest, the population dwindled it until it became impossible to fill a frigate for pillaging, for flotillas, for Atlantis.

Today, we are left with naught but the legacies of lost civilizations. Ghosts now haunt the once-populated islands constructed by ravenous monarchs in their bids for domination. The moldering ruins of past conquests mock us daily. The ocean is too vast, the pirates too few. While the greatest displays of yesteryear filled twenty frigates of war, today we are lucky to see two. The days of blockades contested by the odd sloop and cutter are fast approaching.

We of Tyr's Own will not stand idly by and let this happen. We have done away our contracts to civilized folk, for those constraints are at the heart of this cancerous rot. Instead, we have forged new bonds with the strongest of the Brigand Kings. This alliance is not one based on friendship or camaraderie but on a shared vision, for Barnabas the Pale and the Widow Queen have no designs on any of the islands save one: rubbling them all.

Our hope is to continue to maintain the relationships that our former alliances were based off of. We will continue to aid and abet any who seek to stir up the increasingly stagnant waters, whether by blockade or by any other endeavor. As a courtesy to our former allies, Tyr's Own will not initiate any attacks on their islands while continuing to aid in any defenses until the 19th of June. Once the month has completed our allegiances will be switched over to the Brigand Kings in earnest, and we shall not rest until every island in Midnight's deep waters are under their dominion. Any fleet blockading an island held by Barnabas the Pale or The Widow Queen shall feel the Brigand King's inhuman might bolstered by the wrath of Tyr.

The ocean's cowardly ways have forced our hand. If Ragnarok will not come to us, we will come to Ragnarok!
----------------------------------------
Nine of Tyr's Own
Currently on loan to: Dies Irae
[May 25, 2010 7:42:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
waterdropp

Re: Ragnarok

Nine wrote:

Stuff and things and such

In short, for the lazy people it reads something like, we're tired of playing nice, scupper ya'll lets stir this up, for realz. Scuttle the Kings and Queens, hold no quarter and kick booty. Also, we want your support!
~Abyzaran
[May 25, 2010 8:51:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Neonila

TO swan song? This seems like what it will be called 2 years from now. But hell go down in glory and make some noise while yer at it!
Alniyat,
Booching Blaggards -> http://dirac.dynalias.com/bb/

If the Fish Rumour Mongers had their way, we'd be dropping on everything.
I dropped a plate the other day. Does that count?
-- Missiep --

[May 26, 2010 1:20:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://neonila.deviantart.com [Link]  Go to top 
funnybones

Dude Ragnarok disbanded like 5 years ago.

<-Obtuse.
The Dread Pirates Robinson & Barthes, LLC

The poor complain; they always do. But that's just idle chatter.
Our system brings rewards to all. At least, to all who matter.

[May 26, 2010 1:54:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mattmartin72

/em sighs, there go two of the 3 sinking flotillas......

I can understand using Barny, but honestly, the WQ isnt the 2nd hardest BK for blockade use. Better to use Az or Gretchen.
Napalm
Captain of Die Fish Die

Encaustic art Av by Skullcracker, click for more of Skullys work
[May 26, 2010 3:25:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
harrjm

This was done in a much better faction about a year ago with FC retired the flag and scuttled 5 BKs. If you are really going to ally with the BKs, you need to scuttle your islands. :P
Captain of Gods of War
King of Tyranny
Blockade madman
[May 26, 2010 5:15:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sprngweather

Scuttling was an easier task a year ago.
Sprngweather & Picory
[May 26, 2010 5:40:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
harrjm

Scuttling was an easier task a year ago.

Naw, it was just a fun flag event.
Captain of Gods of War
King of Tyranny
Blockade madman
[May 26, 2010 6:09:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
IantheKorean

While I can certainly appreciate the sentiments of the OP, and I've never been one to cry GD to what I felt was something the playerbase could solve itself, I honestly don't think this will do much of anything. If you guys in TO are just looking for a way to entertain yourselves on a dying ocean then cool beans, hope it provides what you're looking for. I just can't see it really motivating the already skeletal number of players nor encouraging others to try and stay on Midnight; or subscription oceans at all. I think at this point it's up to OOO whether or not they're going to let the blue ocean model slip and die off or push harder for new players to try it out.

But yeah, hope ya have some fun doing this, might show up for a blockade or two if you manage to actually find a BK to scuttle, which seems kinda hopeless after that last update.
[May 26, 2010 6:42:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HiimEric2001

Actually, I can think of another time when Midnight was doing just fine with 200-400 players around at once.

Of course, then, we weren't spread out over 8 archs. Depopulating some of the archs is something I can get behind. But I definitely wouldn't start trying with Diamond and Emerald. And I certainly wouldn't be trying to to bring the population closer together while giving up one of our most central, and our greatest island, to a BK.
Cire
Purple Squid Brigade, Inglorious Fandango

Nemo says, "Cire has figured me out..."

[May 26, 2010 8:02:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
StuManchu

ITK wrote: 
If you guys in TO are just looking for a way to entertain yourselves on a dying ocean then cool beans

This is exactly what they/we are looking for. I'm hanging out in TO for the time being, and my original intention was to do this as aggressively as possible, but I just don't have the time and people came out lacking the constitution to do what was necessary. Also, the changes made to BKs this past week have neutered the whole idea, and pulled the teeth of an easy scuttle.

harrjm wrote: 

No it's physically harder now thanks to game mechanics to scuttle anything now. Have you been paying attention? The effort necessary to scuttle an island has increased dozens of times in scope with the new changes.

Napalm wrote: 
words

see above. If you try to CHOOSE what BKs to deal with, the necessary time investment probably increased fiftyfold.

Nine wrote: 
words

Meh, an 8 for message and composition but you get a 4 for bombast. Sorry I couldn't be arsed to care more about the plan with the new game design restrictions on our fun.
Was once Stuyvesant

Redistribute your wealth, or we'll redistribute your blood.
[May 26, 2010 8:20:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
harrjm

harrjm wrote: 

No it's physically harder now thanks to game mechanics to scuttle anything now. Have you been paying attention? The effort necessary to scuttle an island has increased dozens of times in scope with the new changes.

You just have to know how to game the mechanics. If you need help, see me. :P
Captain of Gods of War
King of Tyranny
Blockade madman
[May 26, 2010 10:38:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HiimEric2001

My understanding is that they are planning to turn up the BK spawn odds when fighting hard ships. Or did they supposedly do that already?
Cire
Purple Squid Brigade, Inglorious Fandango

Nemo says, "Cire has figured me out..."

[May 26, 2010 11:12:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DeepNine

Napalm wrote: 
/em sighs, there go two of the 3 sinking flotillas......

I can understand using Barny, but honestly, the WQ isnt the 2nd hardest BK for blockade use. Better to use Az or Gretchen.

It looks like that with the new update, brigand king hunting has been made doable again and it may be possible to only scuttle to Barnabas. If that is the case then we'll avoid scuttling to the Widow Queen, both to keep the flotilla alive and because she's not nearly as scary.

Harrjm wrote: 
This was done in a much better faction about a year ago with FC retired the flag and scuttled 5 BKs. If you are really going to ally with the BKs, you need to scuttle your islands. :P...

You just have to know how to game the mechanics. If you need help, see me. :P

Why hello, Harrjm, and welcome back. Some things have changed in the past week - you might want to read up before suggesting exploits that no longer work. Also, Tyr's Own has no plans to implode or have any of its monarchs banned in the foreseeable future.

Ianthekorean wrote: 
While I can certainly appreciate the sentiments of the OP, and I've never been one to cry GD to what I felt was something the playerbase could solve itself, I honestly don't think this will do much of anything. If you guys in TO are just looking for a way to entertain yourselves on a dying ocean then cool beans, hope it provides what you're looking for. I just can't see it really motivating the already skeletal number of players nor encouraging others to try and stay on Midnight; or subscription oceans at all. I think at this point it's up to OOO whether or not they're going to let the blue ocean model slip and die off or push harder for new players to try it out.

If the ocean no longer has the fight to stave off a single flag from gifting it all away out of their reach, then it's beyond saving and we won't think twice about bringing about the end. However, I very much I doubt it will that be simple.

Lastly, to Cire: See your PMs.

edit: fixed links
Nine of Tyr's Own
[Edit 1 times, last edit by DeepNine at May 26, 2010 1:30:02 PM]
[May 26, 2010 1:02:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
harrjm

Nine wrote: 
Alot of stuff.

Bah, that's rubbish.
Captain of Gods of War
King of Tyranny
Blockade madman
[May 26, 2010 1:04:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
IantheKorean

If the ocean no longer has the fight to stave off a single flag from gifting it all away out of their reach, then it's beyond saving and we won't think twice about bringing about the end. However, I very much I doubt it will that be simple.

Yeah I'm not trying to be a negative nancy here, would definitely come out to support ya but I do think it might that far gone. *shrug*
[May 26, 2010 2:38:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
StuManchu

Yeah I'm not trying to be a negative nancy here, would definitely come out to support ya but I do think it might that far gone. *shrug*

Yeah but that's the idea, which is why I signed on (granted I can't be of much help thank you real life and girlfriend).
Was once Stuyvesant

[May 26, 2010 2:54:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

But you can't gift it all. Your very "best" case would only be able to put as many islands in BK hands as there are BKs. And it sounds like you're only going to bother with one anyway. So why should we care, really?
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[May 26, 2010 2:58:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
IantheKorean

But you can't gift it all. Your very "best" case would only be able to put as many islands in BK hands as there are BKs. And it sounds like you're only going to bother with one anyway. So why should we care, really?

I thought BKs were supposed to be able to hold multiple islands? My memory is really fuzzy on that, but yeah if they're only one island at a time even lamer.
[May 26, 2010 3:11:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lazyeyes1991

The plan is to scuttle every island. But getting and winning BK expos is a pain in the booty.

I thought BKs were supposed to be able to hold multiple islands? My memory is really fuzzy on that, but yeah if they're only one island at a time even lamer.

I cant speak for TO, but im sure if that is the case, The plans will change but the end goal will remain the same.
Lesgreg
[May 26, 2010 3:45:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
L_J

Since the plan is to rubble all the islands, will the taxes be raised to 100% on the islands you currently own?
Lj
Captain of White Rose
Royal of Blood and Roses
Midnight Ocean
[May 26, 2010 5:04:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

For the ones we held before this initiative, not until the BKs take them over.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[May 26, 2010 5:07:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wonkothes

This whole thread saddens me.
Wonkots Governor of Wrasse
Cleaver wrote: 
Your new Penguin Overlords will be along shortly to begin the long and 'difficult' process of 'correction'."

[May 26, 2010 7:44:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
maiooch

I agree with Wonkots...
Rhodanite of Cerulean formerly of Midnight
Queen of Bedlam
[May 26, 2010 11:06:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DeepNine

cmdrzoom wrote: 
So why should we care, really?

Good heavens, we're not trying to get you to care about something that's happened since 2004. This will be difficult enough without attempting the impossible.
Nine of Tyr's Own
[May 26, 2010 11:31:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Luvessy

Dude Ragnarok disbanded like 5 years ago.

I admit, my first thought was that they haven't had an island in years.

On reflection, I don't think that asking people to play a game they don't want to is going to "revitalize" anything. You say if that's the case you're okay with nailing the coffin shut, and I must say that that idea does sadden me.

The risk for blockade fatigue (for your opponents, at least) is pretty high here. Is that what you're hoping for?
--Mistymate

(Avatar by Sancha.)
[May 27, 2010 6:03:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
StuManchu

he made it pretty clear what we're hoping for. The ocean in its current state makes me sad.
Was once Stuyvesant

[May 27, 2010 6:47:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Luvessy

The plan is to turn all the shoppes to rumble and end the ocean, right?
Why not just try to buy out shoppes then, rather than try to "influence" people into playing a game they don't seem to want to play? Because you're hoping to creaet blockade fun?

I don't think you're going to meet as much resistance as you suspect you might. And why should you?

Since Fandango, flags that called their islands "home" were told they were foolish and missing the point of the game and that islands are just trinkets. So those people who fought for cause either went on to other things or stopped caring.

People also learned that 100% taxes weren't really all that bad. At least, not bad enough to get too overly concerned. Some even argue that it helps good shoppekeeps by forcing the bad ones out.

In recent years, we've seen that number of islands a flag holds isn't something to outrage people anymore. How much difference is there between any two flags anyway?

The people who love blockading all the time settled into "war flags" that like a lot of blockading, for the most part. The people that like blockading occasionally occasionally blockade. The winner of a blockade now comes down to which side can attract the most jobbers - something based more on perceived personal gain than any sort of island or ocean-wide concern.

Players who played in the "glory days" (whenever you perceive that to be) have largely moved onto other interests - work, family, new shinies. That's the natural cycle. You can try to inspire those who are left into caring, but I suspect that we're too far down the path of apathy. You need new charges. People who are excited about those things that Nine laments as lost in the first post.

I don't think you're going to find it here now. So enjoy rubbling what's left.
--Mistymate

(Avatar by Sancha.)
[May 27, 2010 7:28:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
StuManchu

I thought it was made clear that either result would be super.

Why not just try to buy out shoppes then, rather than try to "influence" people into playing a game they don't seem to want to play? Because you're hoping to creaet blockade fun?

Because people have a choice whether or not to sell their shoppe.

I will, thanks!
Was once Stuyvesant

[May 27, 2010 7:36:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Luvessy

I thought it was made clear that either result would be super.

I will, thanks!

Ahh, the classic, "What's fun to us is more important than anyone else's fun" card.

Well played, sir.

(To be clear, I neither think/hope to change anything by posting nor do I care. which is a great reason to be done with this thread now.)
--Mistymate

(Avatar by Sancha.)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Luvessy at May 27, 2010 7:47:06 AM]
[May 27, 2010 7:45:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 262   Pages: 9   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates