• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 132
Posts: 132   Pages: 5   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 15073 times and has 131 replies Next Thread
Cleaver
Captain

OceanMasters

We are beginning recruitment for our first swathe of part-time, remote OceanMasters (for want of a better name, suggestions welcome). The details are here:

http://www.threerings.net/jobs/

We are obviously hoping that players will apply for these positions. We're not sure how many of these folk we're going to bring on board to start with, but it will be be at least three. It's ideal work for someone who plays a lot of Puzzle Pirates and doesn't, perhaps, have a full-time commitment. That said, you may have to give up some of your PP accolades to prevent any accusations of conflict of interest: right now our thought is that Governorships should not be held by OceanMasters, but that shoppe keeping is probably okay. Just in order to relax in your off-hours you will probably not want to be Captain of a big crew. The OM account will be separate from the player's and obviously carefully monitored.

These are paid positions, with professional expectations. Alas, the pay will not be great to start with, but our coffers are not overflowing. When there's Booty, we'll do some divvying.

If ye have questions that might be well addressed publically please post them here, or email me.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Cleaver at Aug 13, 2003 1:04:27 PM]
[Aug 13, 2003 1:04:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
shockedfrog

Re: OceanMasters

darn, over 18s only :( I'm guessing this is due to having to agree to certain contracts that aren't legally binding under a certain age or something like that?
[Aug 13, 2003 10:23:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Turk

Since people are paid, it is a contract, and technically minors cannot enter binding contracts.
[Aug 13, 2003 11:38:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Matthias

As much as I'd like to have a job, somehow I don't think I've been going long enough.

Damn shame, but there you are.

Matt
I took my own advice.
[Aug 14, 2003 12:02:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Contract

Correctamundo about the contract.
[Aug 14, 2003 12:57:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Kaelan

Turk wrote: 
Since people are paid, it is a contract, and technically minors cannot enter binding contracts.

Is this true? I've had a paying, legit job since I was 13 (in fact, I was working for the local government, and now I work for a normal business)... or is it more specifically an NDA-style section of the contract?
[Aug 14, 2003 2:15:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jer

I believe you can enter a contract with a minor, but it's generally a very bad idea, because there's no guarantees. The minor can just flat out walk and leave you hanging, so it's just not done ^^;
[size=9]I'm Jericho.
[Aug 14, 2003 2:19:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.pp-nest.net/ [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

Contracts with minors are non-binding because the government doesn't recognize a minor's ability to judge rationally. Most kids are fairly easily led, in other words. It's actually for their protection, despite how it looks sometimes.
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Aug 14, 2003 2:38:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

More to the point (and I apologize to all you teenagers, but) the Ringers aren't going to put a whole ocean in the hands of a kid, no matter how smart he (or she) may be. Some jobs really do call for an adult.
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[Aug 14, 2003 5:01:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
McDxi

Gotagota wrote: 
Contracts with minors are non-binding...

More specifically, in the US, they are non-binding on the part of the
minor
, so the minor is free to reject/terminate/ignore any conditions of
the contract at any time, but if the other signatory is a legal entity or
adult, they may still be bound by the contract :)

Yet another fun legality I learnt in Mock Trial.
[Aug 14, 2003 6:47:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kaelan

cmdrzoom wrote: 
More to the point (and I apologize to all you teenagers, but) the Ringers aren't going to put a whole ocean in the hands of a kid, no matter how smart he (or she) may be. Some jobs really do call for an adult.

While I definitely agree with you on that point, I have met many people well over the age of 18 who act like children, and people under that age who act like adults.

You do not magically become an adult when you reach age 18.

The contractual issues make a lot of sense though. I never know contracts worked that way for people under 18.
[Aug 14, 2003 6:53:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Squidbeard

Kaelan wrote: 
You do not magically become an adult when you reach age 18.

That's certainly true, though as far as the law is concerned, you do magically become responsible for your actions at that time. With luck, you've figured out not to cross against the lights, and not to give your banking information to the nice general from Nigeria, before then.

[size=9]With this kind of cheery attitude and helpful demeanor, I'm a shoo-in for OceanMaster...

--Sq
Squid
High Priest, Cult of the Red Mantis
[Aug 14, 2003 10:02:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://looterati.goldfish.org [Link]  Go to top 
Matthias

A possible name for the OceanMasters: Blackbirds.

Stemming from the believed source of the old rhyme "Sing a Song of Sixpence", as a recruiting song for Blackbeard.

What do you think?

Matt
I took my own advice.
[Aug 15, 2003 1:51:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

I was thinking the name should be shorter, like Sea Dogs (probably a lawsuit waiting to happen) or Sea Salts. Or Salty Dogs. Or Harbormasters, which isn't shorter. I just like the veteran-osity factor. OceanMaster sounds a little less accessible because oceans are big and impersonal and stuff.
[Aug 15, 2003 2:02:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

Reviewed Bloodymary's sea terms and came up with a few, plus some of me own:

Admirals (hints at admirable)
Masters at Arms (amusing acronym MA)
Sea Lawyers ("Rules Lawyers")
Skippers (as distinguished from Captain, but still indicating in charge)
Lieutenants (a rank, and has a connotation of delegated authority)
Ringmasters (Three Rings, running a circus, etc.)
Ringleaders (troublemakers! *grin*)
Commodore, Commander, Lieutenant Commander (various unused ranks)
Cruise Directors (here to make sure everyone has fun)
Helmsmen (steering)
Lookouts (watch for trouble at sea)
Shore Patrol (watch for trouble on shore)

In me search for good names, I came across this fine page of links (down at the bottom) to pirate information.
[Aug 15, 2003 2:34:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

IANAL (I Am Not A Lawyer), but, I know this has been said, but I'll just confirm it. The major problem you run into is the fact that a contract with a minor isn't binding. This gives major problems for Three Rings. In addition, in many states, people under the age of 16, sometimes 17, need to get a letter from a possible employer, and then they must get a work permit from a local school. This is assuming the booty would be above the table of course. Both of these give pretty major problems in terms of how simple it would be to employ a minor across the country.
[Aug 15, 2003 2:52:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
akebia

Matthias wrote: 
Stemming from the believed source of the old rhyme "Sing a Song of Sixpence", as a recruiting song for Blackbeard.

Oh no. You've been misled by this page, haven't you? It looks mighty and factual, but be sure to click on the link "More Information About This Page".

You have sadly been taken in by an object lesson-- or by someone else who has. Believe me, there are plenty of previously respectable sources that didn't read the fine print when they quoted this story.

[size=9](Hey, this is my one hundredth post!)
[Aug 15, 2003 2:53:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Matthias

Dammit!

I thought there may be something wrong with the story when I saw someone saying it may actually refer to musicians.

How much of Snopes is inaccurate?

Matt
I took my own advice.
[Aug 15, 2003 3:10:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
garf

a major question for me - how flexible would the shifts be? would it work like "arr aye, i can do this and that time, but i cant there" - " aye fine" or rather like "ye gotta be here then and then and then"?
- Randal

[size=9]also Garf, Silvain and a few others
[Aug 15, 2003 3:40:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    garf+on+aim [Link]  Go to top 
MMM

akebia wrote: 

[size=9](Hey, this is my one hundredth post!)

Yarrr! Rum for everyone on ye? :-p *starts splashing rum on akebia*
BM
Lady of Apparel Barrel
Snr. Officer of ARR, Old Spice
Master Mariner of Skillful Mackerel
ARR!: All Rates Reserved!
[Aug 15, 2003 3:59:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sugarpie

I used to be a major proponent of the "why are you discriminating against my super-mature 16/17 year old self you dirty rotten bastards" argument. Now I realize that I was a stupid kid 3 years ago and that my maturity level has quadrupled, and yes I had a job then too. The fact of the matter is that adults don't want to be told what to do by kids, no matter how mature they are :) If I had some 16 year old trying to tell me that I was supposed to do I'd be like /ignore on. There will be plenty of in-game Customer Service oportunities when you do hit 18, so no rush.

Sugarpie
Sugarpie
The Violet (er... Violent?) Pirate
Member of Black Death
Former Governor of Orca
Piggy Josiah R.I.P.

[Aug 15, 2003 4:03:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Aye, though of course nobody would KNOW the age of the customer service representative in the game, so it wouldn't be a question of lack of respect due to age-ism.

The contract reason is the best (and only objective) reason not to have younger folks doing it, but quite frankly, the younger you are, the more likely you are to find yourself "frozen" in the face of an unfolding situation, either going along with the closest strong personality or doing nothing at all.

My current job is similar to this one; 99% of the time you are facing very minor (and often very similar) concerns and questions, but 1% of the time you have to oh-so carefully navigate some very intense situations. I'm glad I have some experience to fall back on.
[Aug 15, 2003 4:16:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

enough time?

No more than four hours a day, and presumably not every day? Heck, I spend that much time on Y!PP now, and I have a full-time job and a life and everything. When I was in high school, I had quite a bit more than four free hours per day. When I was in college (both under and over 18), I spent many more than four hours a day online playing games and interacting with people.
[Aug 15, 2003 6:49:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

I assume at some point the devs will be approcahing likely applicants to have some sort of interview?? or are you planning on hiring just on the basis of qualifications?
[Aug 15, 2003 7:09:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Interview

We'll interview people, aye.
[Aug 15, 2003 12:41:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
junbug178

I'm interested...

I'm interested...
[Aug 16, 2003 12:54:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    junbug178    junbug178 [Link]  Go to top 
akebia

Matthias wrote: 
How much of Snopes is inaccurate?

Very, very little. Just the section titled "The Repository of Lost Legends", or "TROLL". In their legitimate section, they also have a cute article about some cable TV show on the topic of urban legends that fell for this story and, upon being mocked, quickly changed the episode for reruns.

MMM wrote: 

Ow, quit it! Fine, this is Post 101. Now I have to dry off.
[Aug 16, 2003 4:39:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
crowsdiamond

Wow, I truly wish I had the time to do this. I already answer more questions than you can imagine, and I do it for FREE! But I can't even consider applying, because it would mean giving up the PPA, and they have me ol' teachers' heart in their hands. *grin* Good luck in findin the right mateys!

[size=9]psst.. hey, the Squiddle would make a GREAT one, eh?
~Faile
Once Captain of the Mighty PPA
Once Captain of the Falcon's Fury
Now Unretired and ready to KILL!!

Just point me to what you want dead, an' I'll kill it. Or die trying!
[Aug 16, 2003 8:29:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Crowsdiamond [Link]  Go to top 
MMM

akebia wrote: 

MMM wrote: 

Ow, quit it! Fine, this is Post 101. Now I have to dry off.

Didn't meant to "hurt" ye... it was more of a sprinkle. (my bad) :-/ The least I can do is let me have ye dry cleaning bill...

Champangne anyone?
BM
Lady of Apparel Barrel
Snr. Officer of ARR, Old Spice
Master Mariner of Skillful Mackerel
ARR!: All Rates Reserved!
[Aug 16, 2003 6:19:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
McUsher

I won't apply for one of the jobs, as i have a decent one :)

I'd only like to suggest a player to player help system
like that one, that could be found in DaoC:
After doing well in puzzles, yer may flag yerself as advisor
and "noobs" can question theses self flagged advisors.
This may free time up from the payed game-masters so
they can focus on other things..

Just as an idea, so i could bring in me helping skills without
having to apply for a real job..

(p.s.: this is me first post, because i read much and only post,
if i really have somethin' to say ;) )
[Aug 17, 2003 8:25:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 132   Pages: 5   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates