• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 81
Posts: 81   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 9465 times and has 80 replies Next Thread
Cleaver
Captain

Island Colonisation and Diamond Shoppes Reply to this Post

This be a new thread regarding Island Colonisation (possibly in Diamond, most likely in new archipelagoes) and Shoppes (in Diamond).

A number of Flags are now building up the strength to consider colonisation. We are amenable to this prospect and encourage them to submit expressions of interest to me at daniel@threerings.net Please include all salient details such as your Pirate name, crews in your flag (at least 3 credible crews), total resources in PoE (at least 100k+) and Pirates, and so forth. For now these will go on file, until we have new archipelagoes or decide to colonise more in Diamond, the former of which is most likely.

Additionally there are still one or two open spots for shoppes in Diamond on Winter, Turtle and Alpha. Apply to me as above. The minimum investment is 50k and most likely more.

Note that for Shoppes in Emerald and on Cnossos (congratulations Uzi) you should apply directly to the Governor.

Thank ye kindly.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Cleaver at Aug 13, 2003 12:29:59 PM]
[Aug 13, 2003 12:29:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Matthias

Re: Island Colonisation and Diamond Shoppes Reply to this Post

Is this a standard thing, or will something eventually be implemented to do colonisation completely in-game?

Matt
I took my own advice.
[Aug 13, 2003 10:58:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hellboy

on the value of POE... Reply to this Post

Wow, $100K...
That would put me about halfway to a black/black captain's jacket! Hmm. owning and island or a coat...
"...but that's probably just the NyQuil talking."
[Aug 13, 2003 11:15:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.cutlassweb.com/    H311B0Y [Link]  Go to top 
Matthias

I'd go the coat. It's more you.

An island is nice, but it's cold to wear.

Matt
I took my own advice.
[Aug 14, 2003 12:06:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Matthias wrote: 
Is this a standard thing, or will something eventually be implemented to do colonisation completely in-game?

The latter; eventually you'll just be able to load up a galleon with supplies and gold, roll down to an uninhabited island, and build a fort. Assuming nobody attacks you...

The way we currently envisage island colonisation work is roughly; there are two kinds of island, populated and 'rustic'. The populated islands, once established, will very rarely be seized in blockades (instead a successful blockade will levy Tribute on the island). Rustic islands, which will have hard limits to build-out, will be 'colonies' fought over by the flags and therefore amenable to be seized back and forth in blockades.

What we're looking for is for flags to fight over colonial territory, but not to be able to ruin the gaming experience of large numbers of other people by rolling into their carefully colonised, built-up island and just taking it all (let alone destroying it). We just don't think the latter is all that much fun, and I suspect that certain recent other games have demonstrated this (although I've not had time to play them to find out...)
[Aug 14, 2003 1:03:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Clarification:

Is this for flags without islands currently, or any flags?
[Aug 14, 2003 1:03:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

homullus wrote: 
Is this for flags without islands currently, or any flags?

Without Islands. You can think of this as allowing more entries to the 'pre-qualifying' rounds for Midnight, if you like. I don't think that there's much utility in having the established island-owning flags compete for new islands right now; not least 'cos they'd certainly win any bidding wars. Hehe. Also all the Emerald flags have worked so hard I think they deserve a nice rest and period of rampant profiteering as these new flags work like dogs to establish their colonies.

The colonial warfare over rustic islands I talk about above won't make a lot of sense until we have the colonisation and blockade systems in place.
[Aug 14, 2003 1:06:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
GuybrushT

A question about the possibility of shoppes on alpha/turtle/winter, are you taking bids for any shoppes that a player would want to own? or are there specific shops that each island needs, that you are taking bids for?
[Aug 14, 2003 3:41:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Aye, I have no problem whatsoever thinking about it in positive ways. Among them:

1) a jillion more shoppe owners and assistant managers seeing what it's like to be at least a semi-responsible ocean resident

2) increased sense of opportunity for newer pirates

3) spreading out population a bit more

4) more people qualified to contribute ideas for balancing
[Aug 14, 2003 3:51:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

GuybrushT wrote: 
A question about the possibility of shoppes on alpha/turtle/winter, are you taking bids for any shoppes that a player would want to own? or are there specific shops that each island needs, that you are taking bids for?

Basically take a look at what's there and send me proposals. I don't think that there's actually tremendous opportunity now that Alpha and Turtle both have two weaveries, although Turtle might handle another tailor (and Alpha's second needs to get into business: where is Barnacle?)

I will also consider shoppes on Byrne, as it might be useful to have a stop-off on the way to Sapphire.

Edit: Actually I've revised my thinking and I think I'd encourage applications for Ironmongers on both Alpha and Turtle.
[Aug 14, 2003 4:10:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
JonIncognito

Hi i'm curious as how the naming policy works on shoppes.. do the owners of the deed get to name the shoppe, or are the names predetermined?

Oh i also noticed that Byrne island has a nice little homage to the band Talking Heads going.. "David Byrne" was one of the band's lead singers, and the market there is the "Once in a Lifetime market", and i would like to know if that will continue on with something like the "Loom for Sale" or "Take me to the Weaver" weavery, "Nothing but Fedoras" tailors, "Burning Down the Boat" shipyard, "Gangster of Rum" distillery, or the "Bed to Nowhere" inn.

Sorry if i rambled on a bit when getting to talking heads stuff, but i just love their music! :)
"Super Profundo on the early eve of your day." - Waking Life
[Aug 15, 2003 7:47:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
biohazard

JonIncognito wrote: 
Hi i'm curious as how the naming policy works on shoppes.. do the owners of the deed get to name the shoppe, or are the names predetermined?

aye ye get to chose yer own name for yer shoppe
Embla
Retired first mate of the Black Widows
Princess of the Pillage People

- People are calling me insane, as if that was a bad thing...
[Aug 15, 2003 7:58:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
syndicate

Heh, so will you allow us to bid on islands pledging our future earnigns? :)

syndicate
[Aug 15, 2003 10:43:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

JonIncognito wrote: 

Oh i also noticed that Byrne island has a nice little homage to the band Talking Heads going.. "David Byrne" was one of the band's lead singers, and the market there is the "Once in a Lifetime market", and i would like to know if that will continue on with something like the "Loom for Sale" or "Take me to the Weaver" weavery, "Nothing but Fedoras" tailors, "Burning Down the Boat" shipyard, "Gangster of Rum" distillery, or the "Bed to Nowhere" inn.

Sorry if i rambled on a bit when getting to talking heads stuff, but i just love their music! :)

I missed this joke. Cleaver, I change my mind. I want Byrne. <grin>

I'd have "Wife during Wartime" Inn (because as we all know any island run by me would be very much a free-trade port), "Sax and Violins" Inn, "Stay up Late" ...well, let's just say my island would be full of inns...
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Aug 16, 2003 4:23:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
nifboy

And the "Psycho Cleaver" ironmonger.
[Aug 16, 2003 5:22:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JonIncognito

Doh! i tryed to think of a pun with the song "Psycho Killer", but i missed that one. :P
[Aug 16, 2003 10:37:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

And the bank: Stop Making Cents!

You know, at this rate I, Zimbra will be Speaking In Tongues as you put Sugar on my Tongue. There's some who might claim I'm a Psycho Killer, that I have No Compassion, but I say Don't Worry About The Government. I mean, it might be a Warning Sign when The Girls Want to be With the Girls, but I think that's just Artists Only. They fill The Big Country with their Electric Guitar, and are Born Crosseyed and Painless. Ah well, it's really a Once In a Lifetime oppurtunity that you'd Seen and Not Seen, but in this Wild Wild Life you can't take the chance that you'll get Nothing But Flowers...As you know, Memories Can't Wait...but my Girlfriend is Better. And She Was. Well, this really is a Road To Nowhere so I Think This Must Be The Place. Don't forget to Stay Up Late!
Fronsac, human.

[Aug 16, 2003 10:42:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JonIncognito

Well i sure didn't expect to see so many Talking Heads fans here let alone anywhere in gaming.. :)

I think that we can agree that if anyone doesn't name their shoppe to be some sort of Talking Heads pun on Byrne Island that they will be hunted down, and pillaged again, and again. :P
[Aug 16, 2003 6:50:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
saynata

I will pay good money for a Ironmonger called 'Wham, Bam, Thank you Ma'am.'

*grins*
[size=9] Saynata, Captain and Supreme So-and-So of The Sirens; Former Mistress of the ol' Sew 'n' Sew.
[Aug 16, 2003 10:20:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

saynata wrote: 
I will pay good money for a Ironmonger called 'Wham, Bam, Thank you Ma'am.'

*grins*

You've been hanging out with me too much.
Fronsac, human.

[Aug 16, 2003 10:48:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
6Dragonfly9

Something is missing Reply to this Post

This game is missing one thing as far as shops go... food! We have the inns, will they ever offer food? I think it would be kind of cool if we could puzzle to eat. Or maybe have grocery stands where anyone could buy food and keep it on them to trade for other goods and/or services. Just an idea from a beta tester of two weeks.

6draonfly9
Dragonlilly
Pirate in the RR
A Note From Yer Local Beta Tester,
Dragonlilly
[Aug 17, 2003 12:18:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    dragonslilbird [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

JonIncognito wrote: 

Muhahaha. Brilliant. I don't know if Byrne could handle so many shoppes, but it'd be hilarious.

The Governor names shoppes -- often with the consultation of the future owner.
[Aug 17, 2003 4:51:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Garthor

Re: Something is missing Reply to this Post

6Dragonfly9 wrote: 
[snip] I think it would be kind of cool if we could puzzle to eat. [snip]

*Accidentally stabs self in eye with a knife*

Oh no! You booched it!
Cleaver wrote: 
I've never been logged on, let alone on a ship.

[Aug 17, 2003 5:42:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
akebia

Byrne Island would be a disaster. Once pirates marry and build homes, we'll need to worry about both "Burning Down The House" and "Love --> Building On Fire". We'd need a volunteer Fire Department to keep everything from turning to ashes, and that would lead us to a second set of puns for the name "Byrne". The two camps would form warring factions, vying for pun dominance. Players like myself and Fronsac would create alts simply to take both sides in the fight. Soon the sheer weight of buildings and residents would cause Byrne to sink, like Atlantis. Sign me up.
[Aug 18, 2003 6:41:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

The sinking would however solve the fire brigade problem, even if the drowned pirate corpses remained to haunt the nearby seas, arguing over whether music puns or fire puns were better :D
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Aug 18, 2003 12:47:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

akebia wrote: 
Soon the sheer weight of buildings and residents would cause Byrne to sink, like Atlantis. Sign me up.

And here we have an educational documentary on the sinking of Byrne Island, narrated by folk singer Donovan...
Fronsac, human.

[Aug 18, 2003 2:30:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Matthias

And the Wizard.

Also, Jane Fonda was there.

Now all Byrne needs is to move to get better tourism and we can get mermaids!

Whee!

Matt, who watches far too much TV
I took my own advice.
[Aug 19, 2003 8:21:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
akebia

Matthias wrote: 
And the Wizard.

It took all I could muster to keep from responding to Cleaver's post about not eating Tako because an octopus is too intelligent. "Not this one. He blew all his money on instant lottery tickets." "Pass me the speech center of the brain!"

Ok. Clearly we three need to get off of this thread and onto our own island.
[Aug 20, 2003 8:50:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JonIncognito

Ahhh i think you are refering to the Magician. Also Ted Turner, and the Guy who invented Coke Cola are at the begining of that quote. :P
[Aug 22, 2003 12:44:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Penndalla

Is it safe to assume that flags currently with islands will not have a shot at second islands on Azure?
Pennsuedo

My art: http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all
[Aug 25, 2003 1:26:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 81   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates