• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 25
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2302 times and has 24 replies Next Thread
Altpirate11

Etiqette in War Reply to this Post

I am an SO in a reasonably large flag. In order to prevent tarting against my flag I have decided to post anonamously (though I realise this risks people tarting against my hiding behind an alt).

If I am the most senior member of the crew / flag online I am sometimes asked what is considered acceptable in terms of Spirit of the game. I am also aware that my actions can affect the reputation of my crew and flag.

The one area that I am unsure of etiquette is that of war. I am not aware of any war conventions eing written in a very long time (since war was the only way that ships could be lost). Different people and even different oceans seem to have a different view of what is acceptable in war and what is not. My captain advised not to do anything when at war that you wouldn't do when not in war, this seems to go a little far to me. In this thread I am hoping to get a feeling of concensus of what is acceptable and what is not acceptable in war.

Deed Swapping

Is it acceptable to swap deeds out of flag in order to port while retaining booty (or to save time and not wait for autoport). In fact is it acceptable to use autoport to port at islands you would be otherwise be able to land at?

Is it acceptable to transfer deeds while at sea in order to launch a surpise attack on your enemy? If so does it need to be at a league point

Is it acceptable to transfer deeds while at see in order to evade a possible sinking encounter? If so does it need to be at a league point?

Alts and Alt flags

Is it acceptable for a merchant to move commodities out of flag? Does this depend on whether he does so out of flag in times of peace.

Is it acceptable to move stock out of flag in order to prepare for a blockade or an SMH?

Is it acceptable to run pillages out of flag in order to avoid the risk of sinking encounters.

While using alts as might ring evasion is clearly not allowed is it acceptable to use alts in order to hid the true identity of the bnavver when PVPing.

Playing With Might Rings

Is is acceptable to attack a light blue vessel where there is a risk of attracting El Pollo Diablo. (As an aside to this, if you get the black ship can the ship you attacked engage you as soon as the black ship has defeated you or do you have a period of weariness to get to safety)

The result of a PVP is far more dependent on the skill of the navver than the might ring would imply, is it acceptable for an experienced navver to target a new officer?

Taken to Extremes

If in peace time I pillage on renamed/painted/LE ships is it aceptable to switch to standard ships in time of war?
[Apr 27, 2010 10:03:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
warp11

Re: Etiqette in War Reply to this Post

I suggest you take a look at the Fandango Convention . It might be a bit out of date, but i belive these are the best guidelines i know of.
----------------------------------------
Dahl "I have higher moral standards" gren
[Apr 27, 2010 12:54:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Altpirate11

I am aware of Fandango, Avalon and AVC conventions but at leat on some oceans acting in accordance to them is regarded as war evasion.

Another activity which may or may not be seen as acceptable.

While an enemy ship is loading is it acceptable to hop on (presumably with an alt) to see what route is charted. (I am assuming it is not acceptable to stay on board an booch during the PVP battle)
[Apr 27, 2010 1:42:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

If someone has a real beef against you and/or your flag, they're going to find fault with whatever you do.

Also, what is and is not acceptable can sometimes vary from ocean to ocean (as you yourself acknowledge). Can you at least reveal that bit of information, without compromising your (understandable) desire for anonymity?
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[Apr 27, 2010 2:12:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Altpirate11

I am not willing to say which ocean I am on as doing so is likely to make the flag involved too easily guessable.

What I was wondering is if people could post which of these is acceptable on their ocean. If there is a cross ocean consensus maybe we could construct a 2010 war convention which would be a better guide than Fandango and the likes as to what behavior is acceptable during war.

You are right though I suspect that unless you put an advert for people to help with a trade run on the noticeboard before moving a Midas GF full of fruit you will be accused of either war evading or bullying by the trolls of the Parley thread. (and even if they do they will find something to complain about)
[Apr 27, 2010 2:21:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Talisker

To that end, the following post reflects personal preference, rather than those of any flags to which I might or might not belong. They should be tempered by the knowledge that I am a largely retired player who played in warlike flags.

Deed Swapping

Is it acceptable to swap deeds out of flag in order to port while retaining booty (or to save time and not wait for autoport). In fact is it acceptable to use autoport to port at islands you would be otherwise be able to land at?

No. Doing so undermines the entire "Embargo" game mechanic, and is thus dumb.

Is it acceptable to transfer deeds while at sea in order to launch a surpise attack on your enemy? If so does it need to be at a league point

No. Only pansies hide their colors. Outsail, outnav, and outshoot them, you don't need to hide your flag.

Is it acceptable to transfer deeds while at see in order to evade a possible sinking encounter? If so does it need to be at a league point?

No. You support your flag, if in no other way through your presence. As such, be proud to be in it and sail in it. Hiding is for pansies.

Alts and Alt flags

Is it acceptable for a merchant to move commodities out of flag? Does this depend on whether he does so out of flag in times of peace.

Greyer area. Generally, I tend to be against it (See above) but I understand that isolating merchants is not generally desirable. The preferred solution, I think, is the flag aids in moving supplies. They got into the situation, they should be able to help out members discommoded by it.

Is it acceptable to move stock out of flag in order to prepare for a blockade or an SMH?

See above.

Is it acceptable to run pillages out of flag in order to avoid the risk of sinking encounters.

Nope.

While using alts as might ring evasion is clearly not allowed is it acceptable to use alts in order to hid the true identity of the bnavver when PVPing.

I generally disagree with the use of alts and don't see a good reason for it. Play on your pirate.

Playing With Might Rings

Is is acceptable to attack a light blue vessel where there is a risk of attracting El Pollo Diablo. (As an aside to this, if you get the black ship can the ship you attacked engage you as soon as the black ship has defeated you or do you have a period of weariness to get to safety)

Borderline. It's somewhat unsporting. Regardless, if you do attack and get blackshipped, the light blue should come right back and sink you good.

The result of a PVP is far more dependent on the skill of the navver than the might ring would imply, is it acceptable for an experienced navver to target a new officer?

A little fuzzier, but in this altastic world, how do you know who is new and an alt? Shouldn't we always assume opponents are ults? Ultimately, I think it's up to the flag to make sure their newer officers are trained for war or are pillaging with a backup nav in case they'll be outgunned by an attacker. Regardless, all flags should be providing ship insurance in some form to support these newer officers.

Taken to Extremes

If in peace time I pillage on renamed/painted/LE ships is it aceptable to switch to standard ships in time of war?

Absolutely. You'd be silly not to.
Leif
The Forums
Gunnermooch wrote: 
I can't respond because I do not understand what the hell you are talking about. Sorry.

Av by Ecastasy
[Apr 27, 2010 2:38:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

While an enemy ship is loading is it acceptable to hop on (presumably with an alt) to see what route is charted. (I am assuming it is not acceptable to stay on board an booch during the PVP battle)

Wasn't there a big spat about a year or so ago when the OMs said that this was a bannable action? It violates that dreaded "spirit of the game" clause (6.14) which says, in part, that "This includes the use of multiple characters or accounts to undermine or spy on competing parties, or to otherwise manipulate the game environment."
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Apr 27, 2010 2:41:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kotetsu534

My immediate view is "hopping aboard on an out-of-war-flag alt should be illegal, as there is no way the officer could know the alt from Adam, but hopping aboard on an in-warring-flag pirate should be legal, as the officer has to be negligent to allow me information."
Nomura, SO of Innocent, Member of Crimson Tide, Midnight.
[Apr 27, 2010 2:45:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Talisker

Wasn't there a big spat about a year or so ago when the OMs said that this was a bannable action? It violates that dreaded "spirit of the game" clause (6.14) which says, in part, that "This includes the use of multiple characters or accounts to undermine or spy on competing parties, or to otherwise manipulate the game environment."

Yeah, the Eyesinkjoo affair. Generally, I agree with Nomura, but don't know how the OMs would rule.
Leif
The Forums
Gunnermooch wrote: 
I can't respond because I do not understand what the hell you are talking about. Sorry.

Av by Ecastasy
[Apr 27, 2010 2:49:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Siggy

Yeah, the Eyesinkjoo affair. Generally, I agree with Nomura, but don't know how the OMs would rule.

Is it really that hard to send a tell to a random jobber and ask where the boat is headed?
Sig

Owner: Sig Supply Network

What happens when you beat whiny sword fighters with overpowered trash swords...

Imcolorblind auto-responds, "sig hacks sf :) try and see".

[Apr 27, 2010 3:02:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    JPINFV [Link]  Go to top 
bronzebeard

Deed Swapping

Big fat no to everything here.

Alts and Alt flags

I'd frown on the first three, but then there's no way to say that they wouldn't be using a different character in a different flag to pillage anyway. As long as the stats are up to scratch and they're not using low rated characters fer moving stuff, then it's ok I suppose. It's a problem with the war mechanism really - there'd be no point hiding if it was sinking all the time! And the fourth is also ok if the stats are where they should be.

Playing With Might Rings

Attack who ye want and expect to get punished if ye fail

Perfectly fine (once again, as long as ye're not on a low-rated character).

Taken to Extremes

Nothin' wrong with that at all.
Peglegpaul
Now on Obsidian!
[Apr 27, 2010 3:36:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Is it really that hard to send a tell to a random jobber and ask where the boat is headed?

And have the random jobber doing the spying and breaking the ToS? No, but the OMs might not limit their bans to just the jobber.

Mind you, I think the various war conventions strike a better balance to the spying stuff than the apparent hard-line stand of the OMs, but they make the rules.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Apr 27, 2010 6:05:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
nunny_45

I generally disagree with the use of alts and don't see a good reason for it. Play on your pirate.

Would it be acceptable if it was made clear whome the alts main was when joining with a waring flag?
Nunny
[Apr 27, 2010 6:56:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Altpirate11

To that end, the following post reflects personal preference, rather than those of any flags to which I might or might not belong. They should be tempered by the knowledge that I am a largely retired player who played in warlike flags.

Deed Swapping

I am little surprised at the concensus so far that use of autoport is an entirly wrong. Can I give a couple of examples to seek clarification.

A flag lost / failed to win an island and wishes to blockade again the following week. They do not have enough ships on the island to run another blockade and wish to swabbie in reinforcements from elsewhere. Is this undermining the embargo game mechanic effectively meaning the flag is unable to to blockade the island until a truce is made.

A shipyard owner wishes to bring wood to his shop from another island but his flag is at war with the island owners. Bid offer spreads are quite large so he is unable to buy enough wood at the commodity market at a price where he can make a profit. His options are:
1. Move the wood to the island LP and abandon then wait for autoport
2. Use an alt flag to move the wood
3. Hire an out of flag hearty to move the wood for him
4. Put an offerto buy wood at a price he can make a small profit and hope / persuade merchants to deliver to him
5. Cease production
From above posts 1 and 2 are generally regarded at not accepted. 4 and 5 I am fairly sure are OK (though 4 may not work). What about option 3? is this just using a hearty rathre than an alt to evade the embargo?
[Apr 28, 2010 5:02:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
nunny_45

Deed Swapping

I am little surprised at the concensus so far that use of autoport is an entirly wrong. Can I give a couple of examples to seek clarification.

A flag lost / failed to win an island and wishes to blockade again the following week. They do not have enough ships on the island to run another blockade and wish to swabbie in reinforcements from elsewhere. Is this undermining the embargo game mechanic effectively meaning the flag is unable to to blockade the island until a truce is made.

A shipyard owner wishes to bring wood to his shop from another island but his flag is at war with the island owners. Bid offer spreads are quite large so he is unable to buy enough wood at the commodity market at a price where he can make a profit. His options are:
4. Put an offerto buy wood at a price he can make a small profit and hope / persuade merchants to deliver to him
5. Cease production
From above posts 1 and 2 are generally regarded at not accepted. 4 and 5 I am fairly sure are OK (though 4 may not work). What about option 3? is this just using a hearty rathre than an alt to evade the embargo?

Moving in ships in to blockade is probley alright, otherwise blockades would be impossible.

Shops on the otherhand are part of the "embargo'd" crowd and using alts to avoid the embargo isnt right.
Nunny
[Apr 28, 2010 5:15:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Is this undermining the embargo game mechanic effectively meaning the flag is unable to to blockade the island until a truce is made.

Uh, I don't think having a truce eliminates the embargo as long as the island owning flag continues to have an outstanding war dec. Yes, truces can be forced after 7 days, that doesn't change the other sides wardec status.

If embargoes were actually enforcible, it would have a dramatic change on the blockade game and probably the rest of the game too.

5. Cease production

You missed a couple options:
6. leave the flag that failed to protect your interests as a shopkeeper and join one that does a better job.
7. always make sure you have enough stock on stock ships to last through an embargo.

edit:

Moving in ships in to blockade is probley alright, otherwise blockades would be impossible.

Shops on the otherhand are part of the "embargo'd" crowd and using alts to avoid the embargo isnt right.

No, blockades would not be impossible. Attacking flags can always sail from other islands and attack from the ocean side. Isn't that what happens in RL?

I see no reason why you should think that the blockade part of the game should escape the embargo, but shopkeepers shouldn't.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by wrs1864b at Apr 28, 2010 5:31:32 AM]
[Apr 28, 2010 5:27:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

Just some personal opinions ...

Deed Swapping

Not to retain booty, but I don't see a problem with auto-porting (until OOO fix the game so you can't do it!).

No.

Alts and Alt flags

I think all of these are acceptable, except possibly using out of flag merchanting to move blockade supplies (since that's directly a flag project). Running pillages out of flag obviously means that you're not getting the flag fame, and in fact pushing people to do that is probably a prime aim of a wardec.

I would say not.

Playing With Might Rings

Yes. The game provides a sanction for this and risking it is within the rules. If you get the black ship you can be re-engaged immediately, since you initiated the battle.

Definitely; that's where most wartime sinks come from.

Of course.
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[Apr 28, 2010 5:42:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
nunny_45

Is this undermining the embargo game mechanic effectively meaning the flag is unable to to blockade the island until a truce is made.

Uh, I don't think having a truce eliminates the embargo as long as the island owning flag continues to have an outstanding war dec. Yes, truces can be forced after 7 days, that doesn't change the other sides wardec status.

If embargoes were actually enforcible, it would have a dramatic change on the blockade game and probably the rest of the game too.

5. Cease production

You missed a couple options:
6. leave the flag that failed to protect your interests as a shopkeeper and join one that does a better job.
7. always make sure you have enough stock on stock ships to last through an embargo.

edit:

No, blockades would not be impossible. Attacking flags can always sail from other islands and attack from the ocean side. Isn't that what happens in RL?

I see no reason why you should think that the blockade part of the game should escape the embargo, but shopkeepers shouldn't.

Ah yes, sorry forgot the hole "ocean side" thing.
Blockade ships should not be able to dodge the embargo if the mechanic are in place too allow a blockade to occur.
Nunny
[Edit 1 times, last edit by nunny_45 at Apr 28, 2010 6:23:13 AM]
[Apr 28, 2010 6:21:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bronzebeard

If embargoes were ever fixed then blockadin; ships should not be able to stock up on an island it is attackin'. However, requirin' each ship that wants to blockade to sail a number o' leagues to reach the board wouldn't work.

They would still probably show up on an islands docks just fer functionality. Think of them more as weighin' anchor just outside the island ready to attack but stocked up ahead of time.

Or more explicitly (the way I'd prefer to see it), have the attackers keepin' their ships moored at little islets just off the main island. That way they're not avoidin' the embargo of the island itself but they have to still sail their stock ships to this little islet.

But, of course, don't hold yer breath on embargoes gettin' fixed.
Peglegpaul
Now on Obsidian!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by bronzebeard at Apr 28, 2010 6:38:05 AM]
[Apr 28, 2010 6:36:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

If embargoes were ever fixed then blockadin; ships should not be able to stock up on an island it is attackin'. However, requirin' each ship that wants to blockade to sail a number o' leagues to reach the board wouldn't work

I'm not so sure that requiring attackers to sail a number of leagues would be such a huge burden. Most islands have other islands within 5 leagues or so, it wouldn't take much more than 10 minutes to sail. Ships could start sailing before they were fully loaded and have jobbers fill the ship on the way there. Indeed, attackers could try to always have one ship on the league point of the island waiting to go in.

Embargoes might also allow for other changes, such as removing the 24hr warning that the defender now gets. This would likely favor the attacker for at least the first round or two while the defenders scramble to pull a defense together, but the requirement that attacking ships would have to sail from another island would mean that the defense would have an advantage after they were organized.

Embargoes could also work both ways, if a flag war dec's a flag that owns an island, they should be able to prevent the island owning flag from easily porting at the island, maybe have a blockade board that pops up if the flag that war dec'ed the island has a ship on the league point or something.

But, of course, don't hold yer breath on embargoes gettin' fixed.

Indeed, and until embargoes are significantly changed, I don't see much point in objecting to the many ways to get around them. This isn't a case of people using a small loophole/exploit, this is a case of OOO needing to do major changes. Considering that the most recent change was that OOO now lets ships auto-port to get around embargoes, it sounds like OOO doesn't care much about fixing embargoes.
[Apr 28, 2010 9:08:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pomfret

This reminds me that some of the people who want others to play the 'social game' can't themselves take the consequences of the 'social game'. The answer to all those questions about deed swapping and alts/alt flags is obviously a big fat NO! You lot of lily-livered landlubbers.
Pomfret of Midnight Cerulean and Most Oceans
Except when I am Scroogie or somebody else

Stupid merger made me change my signature...
[Apr 28, 2010 9:44:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
slimbutt

On Hunter all of the above is ok for your flag to do.
None of the above is ok for the other flag to do.
Want to make an easy 20K?
Pwn /fw Blood in the Water in PVP.
Post a screenshot of the start of the SF in any Hunter Parley thread.
[Apr 28, 2010 9:53:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

The true heart of the matter, yes.
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[Apr 28, 2010 10:27:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Luvessy

For what purpose? Play on your pirate.

I'm opposed to deed swapping.

For merchants, I think it's fine to get help from out-of-flag hearties and allies to help deliver goods to embargoed islands. It actually gives alliances meaning.

Flags should have measures in place to help their non-war-hungry pirates during times of war. It's a fact that in a mixed flag there are going to be pirates who don't like war, and the flag should step up to do what they can to help those mates especially.
--Mistymate

(Avatar by Sancha.)
[Apr 28, 2010 1:54:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scheherazade

I don't have a problem with deed swapping, for one main reason--and I am NOT speaking on behalf of my crew or flag, but on a personal basis.

If I'm at war with somebody, there is a VERY good reason. I wouldn't war with someone just because I didn't like them, only if they were doing "bad" stuff like spying, cheating, or harassing, and the OMS couldn't or wouldn't cover the behavior.

So, let's say in a theoretical situation that there's a group of people that frequently spy on me, even when I haven't ever spied on them. If they're going to resort to those OFFENSIVE means to attack me, I will resort to DEFENSIVE means to evade them, even if those means are considered to be sleezy. So, if you're going to spy on me, I won't spy on your ships and routes--I'm above that. But don't be surprised if I make sure to make friends in your crew so they will tell me when YOU are spying. If you're going to spy on me to find my location, I'm going to deed swap, snap into evasion mode, or get my buddies to dog you while you're trying to get me. And of course, when I say "you," I mean this hypothetically, and not as a reflection of my flag.
Emerald: Controversy, formerly known as Cholera.

Captain of Disorderly House and Princess of Agree to Disagree.
[May 2, 2010 2:21:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates