• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 39
Posts: 39   Pages: 2   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4433 times and has 38 replies Next Thread
rhandom

Re: My SF matches vs 5 Ults Reply to this Post

Abandonment: it doesn't matter.

If the ranking is that gameable then it's worthless anyway.

If it is really worth something anyway, then you can game it too and knock them off.

If you can't, then they are better than you.

Period.
----------------------------------------
Hahvahd on Cerulean, Rhandy everywhere.

Once the pin is removed, Mr. Grenade is no longer your friend.
[Apr 26, 2010 5:54:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Abandonment

So you're saying I should out cheat the cheaters?

Nice logic there. My unwillingness to cheat harder than another player doesn't mean they're better than me. I can count on one hand the number of sword fighters who would beat me in a best of 10 games. They're aren't very many sword fighters that are consistently better than me. I have no qualms about players that can legitimately (bolding for emphasis) get to number one. I detest players that prearrange the result of a game with friends to rack up huge numbers of wins without even needing to know how the puzzle works.
Priapus/Guantanamo
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Abandonment at Apr 26, 2010 6:12:46 PM]
[Apr 26, 2010 6:09:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Deceptive

He started to say just use your skill to knock them off the list, but then messed it up I believe.
I honestly don't care anymore.
[Apr 26, 2010 7:20:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Roleni

If you refuse to swordfight on every occasion when you're asked while at the top, it pisses people off.

But if the person at the top got there legitimately and does SF, then getting pissed off is the askers' problem. :P
Thalatta & others

Hera tells ye, "You got me so flustered by the spanking, I booched my chat response!"
Hera tells ye, "Purple is the most awesome colour ever!"
[Apr 26, 2010 11:59:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TBPOTN7

Abandonment: it doesn't matter.

If the ranking is that gameable then it's worthless anyway.

If it is really worth something anyway, then you can game it too and knock them off.

If you can't, then they are better than you.

Period.

All rankings are quite gameable, though the PvP games rankings are easiest gameable, due to the nature of PvP. The ranking is not worthless for people that value fair gameplay. However, there's something called honesty, that prevents players that do value #1 trophies (including me), that makes them not game the system like the others, because A: it's against the rules and B: it is cheap. There are soo many ways to attain certain achievements, with my current knowledge i could've gotten all my piracy #1s in a much much much easier way then i did. I can get #1 SF and #1 rumble as well, though i want to earn them honest, rather then gaming the system. I don't game the competitions either by using alts with easier boards, it's against my belief of honest gameplay.

"If you can't beat em, join em" is only possible if the way they beat me is legit and honest.
[Apr 27, 2010 4:12:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rhandom

Abandonment wrote: 

Nice logic there. My unwillingness to cheat harder than another player doesn't mean they're better than me. I can count on one hand the number of sword fighters who would beat me in a best of 10 games. They're aren't very many sword fighters that are consistently better than me. I have no qualms about players that can legitimately (bolding for emphasis) get to number one. I detest players that prearrange the result of a game with friends to rack up huge numbers of wins without even needing to know how the puzzle works.

If somebody can hit #1 without making a deliberate effort to do so I doubt that actual cheating is necessary.
Deceptive wrote: 

On Hunter, I eventually hit Ultimate. Yayy me. I continued for a while, and I eventually hit #1 (This was luck, no clue how I hit that, i'm not close to the best). At that moment, I would get various tells from various people wanting to SF me. Even if I was in Atlantis/Ci/Leading a pillage.

So I'm not saying to out-cheat the cheaters, I'm saying you aren't as good as you think you are if you think they are cheating.

I win a lot of matches myself, I can even beat Ultimates a fair bit of the time. My standing is G-M to Leg and I figure that's about right because I don't have the consistency to justify a higher standing yet. Sometimes it even drops below G-M if I have a bad day/week.

Funny thing about that is, my ranking is most likely to go up when I'm not worrying about my ranking but rather just having fun SF'ing as many people as I can. If I ever do hit #1 it'll probably catch me completely by surprise.

So play the game, have fun, get awesome at it. Don't sweat the cheaters, get better at playing it straight than they can cheat it.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by rhandom at Apr 27, 2010 4:31:14 AM]
[Apr 27, 2010 4:30:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Abandonment

I'm talking specifically about cases where it's widely known the person at £1 has cheated to get there. I thought my posts highlighted that point fairly well? I guess reading comprehension isn't a strong suit on these forums.
Priapus/Guantanamo
[Apr 27, 2010 10:20:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rhandom

I guess it isn't.

And lots of things are "widely known" that just ain't so.
If they are cheating (and I mean really cheating) they should get banned.

If they are playing by the rules of the game and know how to optimize for standing, that isn't cheating.

[Apr 27, 2010 7:42:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Destinycalls

Funny thing about that is, my ranking is most likely to go up when I'm not worrying about my ranking but rather just having fun SF'ing as many people as I can. If I ever do hit #1 it'll probably catch me completely by surprise.

So play the game, have fun, get awesome at it. Don't sweat the cheaters, get better at playing it straight than they can cheat it.

QFT

even though I'm only like GM, my rank usually goes up when I'm having fun. Remember: that's what the puzzles are there for. TO HAVE FUN!!!

~Destinycalls of Hunter Ocean
~Destinycalls of Hunter Ocean

No i can haz well grammar.

[Apr 28, 2010 8:26:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 39   Pages: 2   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates