• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 13
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1911 times and has 12 replies Next Thread
sethda123

Subscription Ocean? Reply to this Post

I recently am moving to a subscription ocean and am wondering witch one of the oceans is more active? Thanks!
----------------------------------------

That Cleaver dude... he's like, a CEO and he plays this game! Like, holy barnacle, what a loser.

[Apr 2, 2010 9:06:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
blaze1513

Re: Subscription Ocean? Reply to this Post

Dub oceans are more active, but sub oceans kinda counter-balance that by the players on midnight/cobalt tend to be a bit more dedicated(hardcore) then dub ocean players
Mrblaze
Kiadude flag broadcasts, "Punish me baby"
Kiadude flag broadcasts, "Oh wow booch."
[Apr 2, 2010 9:30:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sethda123

Thanks for answering, but I kind of already knew that.. Let me rephrase, which of the sub oceans, cobalt or midnight, are more active?

That Cleaver dude... he's like, a CEO and he plays this game! Like, holy barnacle, what a loser.

[Apr 2, 2010 9:34:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
blaze1513

Thanks for answering, but I kind of already knew that.. Let me rephrase, which of the sub oceans, cobalt or midnight, are more active?

Oh Im assuming its midnight
Mrblaze
Kiadude flag broadcasts, "Punish me baby"
Kiadude flag broadcasts, "Oh wow booch."
[Apr 2, 2010 9:36:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

That would be a bad assumption. For quite a while, Cobalt was more active than midnight, for the last year or so, they are about the same.

If you have hearties that play at least some of the time on one of the two sub oceans, that ocean would probably do you well. If you are coming from, or familiar with Viridian, then Cobalt is probably a better choice. Otherwise, flip a coin.

Midnight is more overbuilt for the current population than Cobalt is, although bother are over built and haven't had many islands opened in the last 3 years. There are more colonized islands on Midnight, causing the player population to be spread thinner, more shops built that are no longer really active. The latter can be nice if you want to try to buy a shop, but that probably isn't a near-term goal for a new player on the ocean.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by wrs1864b at Apr 2, 2010 9:46:10 AM]
[Apr 2, 2010 9:43:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sethda123

That would be a bad assumption. For quite a while, Cobalt was more active than midnight, for the last year or so, they are about the same.

If you have hearties that play at least some of the time on one of the two sub oceans, that ocean would probably do you well. If you are coming from, or familiar with Viridian, then Cobalt is probably a better choice. Otherwise, flip a coin.

Midnight is more overbuilt for the current population than Cobalt is, although bother are over built and haven't had many islands opened in the last 3 years. There are more colonized islands on Midnight, causing the player population to be spread thinner, more shops built that are no longer really active. The latter can be nice if you want to try to buy a shop, but that probably isn't a near-term goal for a new player on the ocean.

Thanks for the help! :)

[Apr 2, 2010 9:49:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

Don't forget that when you subscribe, you get full rights on BOTH blue oceans, let alone that each of 3 characters can (in theory) be a captain, and do all those other things which need doubloons for.

So you could join a couple of crews on each ocean, and see which you'd like to be your "main" later.
[Apr 2, 2010 9:59:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wendy20

Once apon a time, there was once a graph showing player activity.

It was right here.

-Richarrdie,
Editing because of link fail
Call me Richarrdie.

Now in all English flavors!* **

*This means Crimson as well.
**Not including Hunter
[Edit 1 times, last edit by wendy20 at Apr 2, 2010 1:43:49 PM]
[Apr 2, 2010 1:42:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lazyeyes1991

i rarely go on cobalt. but pretty sure currently, midnight is more active. weekends we tend to hover around 350-450, Weekdays 250-350.
Lesgreg
[Apr 6, 2010 8:24:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

i rarely go on cobalt. but pretty sure currently, midnight is more active. weekends we tend to hover around 350-450, Weekdays 250-350.

Take a look at the link provided in the post above yours. Cobalt used to regularly have more players than Midnight, but as of around Nov/Dec 2008, they have been very close to the same. The difference in populations between the sub oceans is tiny compared to the difference between sub oceans and old green oceans. Newer green oceans are different. Malachite has been dropping almost as badly as sub oceans, while Opal/Jade have been staying very constant and Crimson had a nice blip and then died.

So, the population problems aren't clearly sub vs dub.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Apr 7, 2010 3:02:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lazyeyes1991

So, the population problems aren't clearly sub vs dub.

And Derail in. 5 4 3 2 1. I'm sure we could all list 20 problems with Y!PP.

But, using the Link to see the last 24 hours, you see Cobalt peaks out at 300 from 1pm-6pm pirate time (the 24hours is what has happened from this time posted 24hours backwards). then slides down to around 80 at 3am game time.

Midnight's population is noon to 4pm game time is240-300 peaks out at about 300-360 at 5-6pm game time. Min is at 2am and hits 80-100.

So yes, currently midnight is more populated in the last few months.

going from a 2 year look, midnight is taking a slower nose dive then Cobalt. but they are very close together.
Lesgreg
[Apr 7, 2010 11:43:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
OdorOfFrodo

I think the answer is: more cheesie-eating stoners playing at 3 A.M.
Ecavatar by Ecastasy!
Talisker wrote: 
Obviously this calls for dressing up as Karl Marx.

[Apr 7, 2010 8:15:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lazyeyes1991

/derail

hate family guy, but this reminded me of it.
Lesgreg
[Apr 7, 2010 9:36:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates