• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 45
Posts: 45   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 8366 times and has 44 replies Next Thread
trollsb

Rusport get over it!

There is no big conspiracy of dev's against you in rumble.

We all get the same order of balls, which fists you use and how many bruises you do is all that's making the difference.

Don't call matches fixed - be a good sport say good game like the rest of us do when we have to suck it up if we lose.

Sack up - be decent.
----------------------------------------
Trollsb - Cerulean (Midnight)
[Feb 15, 2010 8:41:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.trollsb.com [Link]  Go to top 
sprngweather

Re: Rusport get over it!

Some people just can't handle losing. And, instead of learning why they lost or accepting variation that can occur in games, they'd rather just assume someone cheated, got lucky, or whatever else. These people will never learn otherwise. He's been doing this for years and I doubt this thread will change his mind (as the bounty 1.5 years ago didn't). http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=1681552#1681552
Sprngweather & Picory
[Feb 15, 2010 9:07:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lazyeyes1991

ive always assumed that rumble takes a bit of skill, a lot more than SF, and that's why the top rumble'rs stay in the top.
Lesgreg
[Feb 15, 2010 9:56:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rhandom

ive always assumed that rumble takes a bit of skill, a lot more than SF, and that's why the top rumble'rs stay in the top.

Considering that my SF performance varies more based on how well fed, rested, and able to concentrate I am, I think that both games are skill dominated more than luck.

That there are folks who can't admit to themselves that a 3x2 sword or teeny strike breaking up their pretty combo is a failing of their own skill isn't a problem for the rest of us ;)
Hahvahd on Cerulean, Rhandy everywhere.

Once the pin is removed, Mr. Grenade is no longer your friend.
[Feb 15, 2010 11:30:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Colvic

Ohhh burn.

I've always assumed it was because there were more SFers of similar skill(and a greater number of SFers overall), which would mean more competition and no few people being "on top". Of course after late 05 and past 06 there's been a great drop in people playing, so now I could very well be wrong.

Different Tournament Formats please!

[Feb 15, 2010 12:01:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Zzyzx7

Just so you rumblers know yer not alone, he's a barrelstopper at the hearts tables too.

After every good hand/win of his, he'll type "Easy", and he bitches and whines of cheating at every opportunity.

There are only 2 people on all of Midnight that I refuse to play with, and he's one of them.
Barabajagal on the Midnight Ocean - Heartsmafia everywhere else
Captain of Island Raiders
[Feb 15, 2010 1:24:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kotetsu534

I assumed he was just putting the "sore loser"/"boasting winner" shtick on as a role-play because no one could actually be like that.

If you beat him a few times in a row he'll boot you for months and you soon forget about his existence anyway.
Nomura, SO of Innocent, Member of Crimson Tide, Midnight.
[Feb 15, 2010 2:34:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Madmathilde

I assumed he was just putting the "sore loser"/"boasting winner" shtick on as a role-play because no one could actually be like that.

If you beat him a few times in a row he'll boot you for months and you soon forget about his existence anyway.

Wish I didn't know people who are really like that...
Gwendolyn Bleu,
ubiquitously Gwennie
Midnight: Marooned Marauders of the flag Fairwinds
[Feb 15, 2010 5:39:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DeepNine

Ohhh burn.

I've always assumed it was because there were more SFers of similar skill(and a greater number of SFers overall), which would mean more competition and no few people being "on top". Of course after late 05 and past 06 there's been a great drop in people playing, so now I could very well be wrong.

Rumble is strange that despite the randomness involved, once the difference in skill becomes large enough the better player will almost never lose. This is much less true of swordfighting.

Also lol Rusport.
Nine of Tyr's Own
Currently on loan to: Dies Irae
[Feb 15, 2010 6:09:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Donsmythe

Rumble is strange that despite the randomness involved, once the difference in skill becomes large enough the better player will almost never lose. This is much less true of swordfighting.

I'd have to agree with this.

I like both rumble and SF quite a bit, so it's natural for me to compare them sometimes. I've long felt that in the random luck vs. skill department, rumble tends to favor skill slightly more than SF. But that said, skill is still a huge factor for both.

In both puzzles I run across sore loser types who are narrowly skilled in only one aspect of a given puzzle and are simply not capable of recognizing that any skill exists other than the one they posess, even when other strategies might be far more effective in a given situation. I always find it humorous when they mistake certain strategic choices as a lack of skill. It also signals a blind spot you can use to repeatedly smash them, if you wish to further add to the amusement.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Donsmythe at Feb 15, 2010 10:03:33 PM]
[Feb 15, 2010 9:34:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://don.yacktman.org/blog/    yackd [Link]  Go to top 
Lazyeyes1991

the 'skill' factor in SF what ive assumed to be either being able to continue building even when they are sprinkling/send small swords, and still give them a big set of swords or insta.

skill in rumble (i suck at is and have assumed ive being doing it wrong for a long time) is when you decide either to sprinkle to clear yourself some room, or to continue building 3-4 breaks

Edit: had someone tart at a crewbie for a bit saying he was a elite rumble player but basically tanked his rank. because the both of them were teaming on me, while he was left on his own with his blackjack making a rumble insta. was a good lol moment
Lesgreg
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Lazyeyes1991 at Feb 15, 2010 10:14:56 PM]
[Feb 15, 2010 10:13:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tlz_allen

Wow! Just, WOW!

Here we are like 10 months later and this dirt bag is still claiming matches are fixed and that the game is out to get him. He got waxed by my able wife today and he claimed it was fixed. Yeah, my Broad/Able wife who regularly gets beaten by palace bots and rumble dummies in our house spanked him and he claimed it was fixed and refused to say good game.

Hey Rusport, grow up and grow a pair little man!
TlzAllen
Captain, The Dawntreaders
[Dec 9, 2010 8:45:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    tlz_allen2 [Link]  Go to top 
Voidrix00

Wow! Just, WOW!

Here we are like 10 months later and this dirt bag is still claiming matches are fixed and that the game is out to get him. He got waxed by my able wife today and he claimed it was fixed. Yeah, my Broad/Able wife who regularly gets beaten by palace bots and rumble dummies in our house spanked him and he claimed it was fixed and refused to say good game.

He's been at it or years, he's just bad.
Voidrix (All oceans)
Captain of Unquenchable Fury and Prince of Universe A .
Owns the largest collection of Guys on Cerulean.
[Dec 9, 2010 8:48:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
frogkissed11

Wow! Just, WOW!

Bravo to your wife!
JainaSolo, sheepish jedi
Blazeblade says, "you're talking to a SHEEP?"
[Dec 9, 2010 10:13:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Dolgan

He got waxed by my able wife today...

Not Brazilian is she? ;-)
Dolgan

Buying: lime dye!!
[Dec 9, 2010 2:15:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tlz_allen

He got waxed by my able wife today...

Not Brazilian is she? ;-)

No, just one ornery Montana girl who just about giggled herself to death after beating that schmuck. LOL
TlzAllen
[Dec 11, 2010 1:21:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    tlz_allen2 [Link]  Go to top 
Springheel

Old old post... but I think the difference with the top tier of rumblers is that none of them play regularly on the rumble tables. I'm not sure how they stay active but I literally never see them playing. And it just isn't as competitive as swordfight tables go. I usually end up rumbling on green oceans to get better just because the skill level there is generally higher and you can actually get games going.
blah blah blah
[Dec 11, 2010 1:28:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Voidrix00

Old old post... but I think the difference with the top tier of rumblers is that none of them play regularly on the rumble tables. I'm not sure how they stay active but I literally never see them playing. And it just isn't as competitive as swordfight tables go. I usually end up rumbling on green oceans to get better just because the skill level there is generally higher and you can actually get games going.

Agreement with top rumblers never tabling, really wish they did, but generally if you want competition the other oceans generally have something going on. While as sf there is always ultimates on tables.
Voidrix (All oceans)
Captain of Unquenchable Fury and Prince of Universe A .
Owns the largest collection of Guys on Cerulean.
[Dec 12, 2010 8:06:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kochac

He's a rotten old tart in any game you play against him, it's not just Rumbling. Wherever there's a game, there's going to be someone who cannot stand the thought of losing and will pony up the easiest excuse instead of saying, "you win some, you lose some". Just ignore him & enjoy the game. ;)
Better known as..
Another Korkchop
..or Nocet

Trying to stop these demons that keep dancing in my head.
[Dec 14, 2010 12:50:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rick9109

If you are above broad in drinking and are not a poor sport yet there is something wrong with you.
Rome
Pirates of the Damned, Crimson Tide.
I don't care what it did to them, the game's been good to me.
[Dec 15, 2010 3:41:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rick9109    cactusrome [Link]  Go to top 
sprngweather

Where did drinking come into the conversation? Also, if you are above broad drinking and haven't accepted the HUGE luck element, then unless you are masochistic, you should find a new parlor game to play.
Sprngweather & Picory
[Dec 15, 2010 10:23:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pomfret

Oooh! Drinking! In case there is any doubt:

I only win by luck.
Pomfret of Midnight Cerulean and Most Oceans
Except when I am Scroogie or somebody else

Stupid merger made me change my signature...
[Dec 18, 2010 6:47:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tlz_allen

He just cracks me up, that 'ol Rusport. I kicked his butt big time a week or so ago and now he won't even play me. What a rube.
TlzAllen
[Jan 27, 2011 12:31:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    tlz_allen2 [Link]  Go to top 
v76odessa

I saw Rusport on the rumble tables today so I had to see.
After I beat him and said Good Game, he said the game was fixed and way to cheat XD, then he told me I am a cheater again and left the table. Good Times !
Vova

Home at Dies Irae.

Harrjm tells you " I always wished I could grow up to be you"
[Jan 27, 2011 12:58:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bdull

Quite some time ago I had put a bounty out on Rusport for anyone who could beat hiim on the rumble tables, and did get a few screenshots. I took it down eventually as it wasn't generating many hits, and sometime later I ran into him on the tables. He laughed and said he had enjoyed the bounty because it allowed him to beat lots of people--so clearly he doesn't understand the message that was being sent.

Almost as irritating as his constant accusations of cheating and refusal to fight you for months if you do beat him is the fact that he will almost never pass up the chance to go pound on some poor Able who has put up a table and hasn't restricted it by rating. If anything, that says even more about his character.
--Lazylubber
Lord of Crimson Tide on Midnight
Former governor of Midsummer
Not retired, but playing less than some who are

Avatar awesomeness by Shortyjack!
[Jan 27, 2011 2:35:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DaneT

Quite some time ago I had put a bounty out on Rusport for anyone who could beat hiim on the rumble tables, and did get a few screenshots. I took it down eventually as it wasn't generating many hits, and sometime later I ran into him on the tables. He laughed and said he had enjoyed the bounty because it allowed him to beat lots of people--so clearly he doesn't understand the message that was being sent.

Time for a reopeing, maybe with a twist to it to drive the message a little clearer? One example would be starting a table and booting him off when he tries to join and a /tell saying something? Denial of play sounds like it would be worse then a beat for this guy.
It has been said, my friends, that I like war. My friends, I like War. No...I LOVE WAR!

Danet - An old salt of Y!PP, but not the oldest by a long shot.
[Jan 27, 2011 3:38:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Donsmythe

When people seem to be incurable barrelstoppers and impervious to reason, logic, and common sense, I find it's helpful to try and figure out where they are coming from, because then their behavior makes more sense. Plus it helps you formulate a plan for future interactions with them. For example, in Rusport's case, I think this is about right:

Do you people have any idea how many ables you have to pound in order to re-inflate your rating back up to legendary? Of course it is upsetting when anyone else wins! Not to mention that if the game weren't fixed, a fighter should always beat anyone of equal or lower rank, of course. Even if their rank was artifically inflated, just having it should be sufficient to guarantee a win, and would, if things were fair! (*)

See how that illuminates everything? And now that we know where he's coming from, we know how he'd like to be treated. If he joins your table, boot him. And certainly don't join his tables. After all, we wouldn't want to have him risk another loss, and have to do all that "work" again, would we?

Another common mindset among poor sports, though I don't think it applies in this case - and if it does, it's particularly pathetic given how bad he is at rumble:

If you're playing faster than me, you must be using a speed hack like I am. Besides, my speed hack transforms me into the best rumbler/swordfighter/something to ever grace the game, so if you won it was by total luck. And obviously, you must have cheated, too, because you couldn't possibly be better than me unless you were cheating more than I am.

I really hate that one. It's amazing to me how people who are horribly inefficient in how they use their pieces shout "speed hacker" so frequently. Or people who have no clue about game mechanics and don't realize what they are sending to their opponent's boards automatically assume cheating and speed hacking, though the truth is that by using their weapon incorrectly, they fed their opponent the material to create some devastating attacks.

(*) This particular mindset always reminds me of the Black Knight in Monty Python and the Holy Grail: "But the Black Knight always wins!"

[Jan 27, 2011 4:55:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://don.yacktman.org/blog/    yackd [Link]  Go to top 
butlert23

He just cracks me up, that 'ol Rusport. I kicked his butt big time a week or so ago and now he won't even play me. What a rube.

I think this is funny cause Tlzallen acts the same way when I kick his butt.
Guess it's just that same old saying,
when the pot calls the kettle black

[Jan 27, 2011 4:59:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bdull

Oh, I know that Tlz doesn't necessarily have an overabundance of fans, but I'll stand up for him here. He's been curt once or twice when I've beaten him and skipped out on the "good game" occasionally, but I've never seen him accuse someone of modding or call me a lucker.
--Lazylubber
Lord of Crimson Tide on Midnight
Former governor of Midsummer
Not retired, but playing less than some who are

Avatar awesomeness by Shortyjack!
[Jan 27, 2011 8:57:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
butlert23

It went like this
2011/01/03
13:56:25
I join his rumble table, kick his butt, he leaves without saying good game.
I join his table a second time and he boots me.
I sent him a tell "aww that's not very sporting of you" and he sends a Tell back "Well, I had forgoten to remute you on this new compueter"
I sent a tell back "happy newyear"

And note that the comment he made was that after kicking rusports butt rusport wouldn't fight him anymore. He didn't accuse me of cheating just acted the same way that he is making fun of someone else for.

/e points back to the little cartoon above
[Jan 28, 2011 12:25:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 45   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates