• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 144
Posts: 144   Pages: 5   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 19743 times and has 143 replies Next Thread
Apollo
OceanMaster

Design Egg Furniture for the Game 2010! [WINNERS ANNOUNCED] Reply to this Post

"Eggs!"

It's Time To Design Egg Furniture Again

This is another chance to design Eggs to become furniture items in the game. We need you to design us the best Eggs you can, and we'll be picking out the best designs to put into the game. Note that you have to design the flat square design that will then be rendered onto an egg shape - you don't design a finished egg-shaped design.

Post your entries in the Entry thread here.

-- Include your design in your entry post as an image, using the image tags.
-- Images must be 256 x 256 pixels
-- Images must be .png format
-- Include pirate name and ocean in your post
-- Include a preference on whether your design(s) would be purchaseable or unpurchaseable (if you have no preference, say that you have no preference)
-- You can enter up to 8 designs each. These must all be in a single post - edit your post to change or add designs.

To post an image:
-- Save your image at the correct size as a .png image on your computer
-- Upload it to a website - either your own webspace, or use one of the main free sites such as www.putfile.com, www.imageshack.com, www.photobucket.com, etc, and get the url for the image on that site.
-- Ensure that your image is not in a private area that requires log-in to view. Get a mate to check they can see it with your url.
-- In your entry post, enclose the url in image tags as shown here.
-- PREVIEW BEFORE POSTING - if the image isn't showing on preview, check your url and tags.
-- Remember to add your pirate name and ocean before posting.

Tips and tricks and links and things:

I've included these not just as a reminder of the entries from previous, but also because the threads contain a lot of useful information, and probably answer most of the questions that are likely to come up this year!

-- Your design MUST be able to 'wrap' - the two sides of the design should join up seamlessly with no discontinuity where the two sides meet. Test this by laying two copies of your design side by side.
-- Remember the shape-changing effect of putting your design round an egg. A design that looks sensible in a square template could look strange on the final egg model.
-- The scene also really burns out the details, so make the whole thing slightly darker than you would think. Slightly!
-- Keep it simple. The design has to work on a relatively small object, make sure your design shines through.

-- If you want to see your design rendered on to an egg shape before posting it as an official entry, post your design in the thread linked here and ask nicely! Right now, I'm just hoping that there will be people able and willing to help out!

--Adrielle's egg tutorial for 3DS 2010
--Link to Silveransom's 2008 egg reference template thread
--This YPPedia page shows the winning Easter eggs from 2006 to 2009.
--Link to the 2009 event thread
--Link to the 2009 entry thread
--Link to the 2008 event thread
--Link to the 2008 entry thread
--Link to the 2007 event thread
--Link to the 2007 entry thread.
-- Link to the 2006 event thread.
-- Link to the 2006 entry thread.
-- Link to Guppymomma's Rendered Eggs thread from 2006
--Silveransom's egg rendering tutorial or the simpler 2008 updated versionhere
--2007 rendered eggs YPPedia page.
LOOK AT THESE ONES!
These threads are where designs from previous years were tested before being finalized - take a look - it will give you lots of ideas for what works and what doesn't!
--2007 rendering test thread
--2008 rendering test thread
--2009 rendering test thread

-- If you want a copy of the basic egg mesh file, you can get it from YPPedia here, or link to the file directly here. It's linked from http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Egg. You can use this if you wish to test your design and you have a 3D modelling program. Note that you do not *need* to do this to enter - just if you want to try it out yourself.
-- If you're keen to test it, there are easy downloads of 30 days free trial versions of some 3D modelling software (e.g. 3D studio max).
-- You may need a renderer plug-in apparently. ;)
-- Ponytailguy produced a quick tutorial of testing the designs in 3DS-MAX here
-- Quick instructions on how to get the correct viewpoint for the eggs are here.

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert with these bits of software, so if there are updated instructions I should link to, I'm happy to edit these in! Thanks as always to those people who have helped in the past with rendering and YPPedia pages, and to those who (I hope!) will do so this year. You are wonderful!

The deadline for egg designs is the end of Thursday 25th February 2010 - 11:59 game time.

If yours is one of the winning designs chosen, your prize is to get your design created as a bit of in-game furniture, and you'll be given an egg in your design. If you win, your design may be rotated for the final egg. You would be asked for a preference on whether your egg is available in the Palace Shoppe, or whether you would like it to be a rarer egg given out as event prizes.

Go forth and lay eggs!
----------------------------------------
[Edit 8 times, last edit by Apollo at Mar 2, 2010 9:02:48 AM]
[Feb 4, 2010 8:03:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
N_o_v_a

Re: Design Egg Furniture for the Game 2010! [Deadline 25th February] Reply to this Post

My favourite time of year is back again! Every year we get more creative and fabulous eggs. This year should be no different!
Phillite, Emerald
[Feb 5, 2010 3:27:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

Re: Design Egg Furniture for the Game 2010! [Deadline 25th February] Reply to this Post

This is going to be a scramble since the BK egg contest used up most of my reserve eggs and my due date's the 20th. I'd better get cracking on some new designs.
A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[Feb 5, 2010 5:10:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

Ahhg! I woke up this morning determined to get busy on my Greatest Hits and Spring Trinket entries, as well as some sewing and here I find another distraction. And what a distraction! I love this event :)

EDIT: Here are a couple more YPPedia links:
2008 Design Easter Eggs - Rendered entries
2009 Design Easter Eggs - Rendered entries

2009 Design Easter Eggs - Flat entries
YPPedia Egg (sorted by year)

EDIT 2: I mentioned in the render thread, but I will say it again here...I am currently downloading the trial version of 3Ds Max 2010 and if all goes well, I will render eggs this year.
Pletoo of Sage
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Patetch at Feb 5, 2010 8:08:40 AM]
[Feb 5, 2010 5:57:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Guppyzr

That time of year again, already?

Sadly I know now that there's no way I'll be able to take part but I might try rendering if I can get my head around all that technical stuff.
Guppyzra of the Imaginary Ocean.
Founder and Coordinator of Fight Circle

In the Name Of... ~carpe noctem
[Feb 5, 2010 8:15:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Is a plug-in like Illustrator still needed? If so, does anyone know which one?
[Feb 5, 2010 9:40:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

I haven't gotten to test yet, but I am assuming it is still needed since there is one available for the latest version. Just use whatever version that coincides with the version of 3DS that is being used.
Pletoo of Sage
[Feb 5, 2010 10:27:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

...and...finally after hours of download/ set up on a slow computer, I am ready to render. :)

Here are two tips on how to check for wrapping:

In Paint: (Right click can be used in place of Edit)
Remember to save it as a PNG file first!
Edit -> Select all
Edit -> Copy
Image -> Attributes -> Width = 512
Edit -> Paste
Pick up the image and slide it over, filling in the extra background space.
Check to see if everything matches up or if it is obvious where the edges meet.
Don't save.

On the forums
When posting a render request, just put the image link in twice to have it show up side by side, hit preview, if it is good then delete the second copy of the image and click reply to post.

EDIT:
I have a technical question that would best be answered by someone from Three Rings...
When saving the rendered image, I get this dialog (that I don't remember from before)

After experimenting a bit I found that the 'optimized palette' setting delivers a sharper image (RGB 48 bit is default.) Now, I realize that it doesn't really matter because I am not doing the final rendering for the game but I would like to be as accurate as possible.

Which setting should I use to most closely emulate how the eggs will look in game?
Pletoo of Sage
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Patetch at Feb 5, 2010 3:17:53 PM]
[Feb 5, 2010 1:21:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cassopia

can we also post old entry's?
Whitenose on Sage || (Cassopia on Opal)
----------
Sage - Time:6:30 am || German-Time: 3:30 pm
Whitenose loves doll's
[Feb 5, 2010 3:56:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cassopia

i have one Question, and i hope im right here.

has / knows someone Milkshape and knows the correct settings for the preview? the angle is not true.
and how I can render it?

Programsite - i own the last version (beta)
Whitenose on Sage || (Cassopia on Opal)
----------
Sage - Time:6:30 am || German-Time: 3:30 pm
Whitenose loves doll's
[Feb 6, 2010 7:46:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

can we also post old entry's?
Aye, you can re-enter previous designs, as long as they're your own!
[Feb 6, 2010 7:54:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

I keep looking for eggs to render :)

Right now I have the time to render tweaks, color adjustments, random experiments, color samplings...whether I will have as much time towards the contest end remains to be seen.

So, for now, feel free to put up as many eggs as ye like and don't feel guilty about it - I love rendering eggs! It is so much fun to see what happens to each and every design.

So get crackin' and upload those egg designs (otherwise I will have to go back to playing around with my ideas and patterns (and I am up to about 80 by now.)

Also, if you find yourself in a rut - choosing the same colors over and over try inverting the colors (in Paint it is "CTRL I") sometimes you will be surprised how much you like something made of colors you wouldn't normally choose.
Pletoo of Sage
[Feb 6, 2010 9:26:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ocelotspot

I've got Max downloaded and working, so I can help with rendering, too. Is anyone planning to work on the Wiki page? I don't know anything about YPPedia, but can probably learn if someone else is willing to get me started.

I tried rendering without the plug-in and wasn't able to save. Once I installed it things worked fine, so it seems necessary to me.
Sallymae of Meridian
[Edit 1 times, last edit by ocelotspot at Feb 6, 2010 5:33:15 PM]
[Feb 6, 2010 5:30:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

I haven't checked yet, but is there a YPPedia page up for this year's rendered entries? I am willing to render and rename entries as needed so that they are ready for putting up on the page but I don't know that I remember how to do the page (it seems to me that I didn't actually do the YPPedia page in previous years but rather prepared entries.)
Pletoo of Sage
[Feb 7, 2010 10:41:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

I don't think it is up yet, but probably will be soon =D
~~~ Adrielle, Ezzleart and Enfyz ~~~
... (& @AmazinAdrielle on Twitter) ...
[Feb 8, 2010 2:03:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
trollsb

Are the designs judged on how they look rendered or how they look as a square as anything I make look decent in a square looks blurry when rendered, so I have to make ugly squares to make prettier renders!
Trollsb - Cerulean (Midnight)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by trollsb at Feb 8, 2010 9:09:00 AM]
[Feb 8, 2010 6:26:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.trollsb.com [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

How important is the "seamless" factor? I'm seeing a couple of entries/tests that aren't meeting that criteria. I'd say something to the artists, but I don't want to be seen as nit-picking someone else's work if it's really not that important.
Dexla d'Midnight
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Dexla at Feb 8, 2010 12:49:23 PM]
[Feb 8, 2010 12:46:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

I keep forgetting to remind people to check for seams when I render eggs. I have found that there is some difference of opinion as to what constitutes a seam.
Pletoo of Sage
[Feb 8, 2010 2:08:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ddraigeneth

Are the designs judged on how they look rendered or how they look as a square as anything I make look decent in a square looks blurry when rendered, so I have to make ugly squares to make prettier renders!

We won't be seeing the square in-game, so I'd say definitely go with what looks best on the egg.

Seams have been said to be rather important in the past--I don't really see where there would be ambiguity. The edge of the design has to flow into itself, so that it looks like one solid piece.

(old entry, posted twice so the edges are touching)
Gwiddon d'Sage - Making her own avatars since 2005
DeviantART

Is yer sword a foil?
[Feb 8, 2010 9:43:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

Lots of mine probably weren't seemless when I first posted them to get test rendered :S I just wanted to see if the front pic would work, lol! (as in the picture that ends up on the front side of the egg).
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Ezmerelda_M at Feb 9, 2010 2:07:14 AM]
[Feb 9, 2010 2:04:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Square vs egg: the square is your entry and has to be there, but design for the egg!

Seamless: Yes, needs to be seamless. I agree that there is some difference of opinion. (for example, people who put a different colored border around the design - the two sides now match up, but it's still a big seam down the back)! I'm afraid I don't know how the judging is affected by this. I don't think it does any harm to point out to an entrant that it's not seamless.
[Feb 9, 2010 2:23:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

I haven't checked yet, but is there a YPPedia page up for this year's rendered entries? I am willing to render and rename entries as needed so that they are ready for putting up on the page but I don't know that I remember how to do the page (it seems to me that I didn't actually do the YPPedia page in previous years but rather prepared entries.)

The pages are up, thanks to the lovely Belthazar =D. I uploaded the flat entries that have been posted so far, and the rendered entries page has red links ready to be clicked to upload the rendered entries =D
[Feb 9, 2010 4:20:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Thank you, YPPreciouses!

If entries are edited or added after the original post, do the entrants need to let someone know, or will that be picked up?

I should learn to read the links:

If your egg is not yet on this page and you've submitted an entry to the official entry thread or you've updated your entry, you can either leave a message on the talk page here (login on YPPedia and click on the "discuss this page" tab above, then edit) or leave a note in the contest discussion thread. Make sure to paste the link to your entry post.

[Edit 2 times, last edit by Apollo at Feb 10, 2010 2:28:00 AM]
[Feb 10, 2010 2:07:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

I have had the most bizarre thing happen to my egg designs.

I opened the folder this morning containing all my own egg designs and renderings and they were completely unorganized. It seems that everything has been assigned a random name of something else in the folder. (For example one I had called Diamonds-5 is now called Fish-1 while Fish-1 is now Trapezoids-8. The rendered eggs are no longer matched up with their skins, and to make matters worse there are a bunch missing.

I feel like crying.

Oddly enough the folder in which I was keeping render requests is still very nicely organized.

EDIT: WHEW! Turns out it was just a corrupted Thumbs.db file - I deleted it and next time I opened the folder everything was fine - excuse me while I go breathe :)
Pletoo of Sage
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Patetch at Feb 10, 2010 9:08:31 AM]
[Feb 10, 2010 8:59:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ocelotspot

The pages are up, thanks to the lovely Belthazar =D. I uploaded the flat entries that have been posted so far, and the rendered entries page has red links ready to be clicked to upload the rendered entries =D

I uploaded the rendered entries that had links set up so far.
Sallymae of Meridian
[Edit 1 times, last edit by ocelotspot at Feb 10, 2010 7:45:09 PM]
[Feb 10, 2010 7:35:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Xeitgeist

Maaan, I'm so going to go broke this year. I'm seeing a good number of eggs I would love to have in my collection. I hope they get in! I've already moved furniture and space around my egg ship to make way for new eggs. YAAAAAAAAY! :D
xeitgeist of purdywinkle oshun iz tired
i tumble around heer
[Feb 11, 2010 10:31:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://bisdakbytes.tumblr.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

Lovely Apollo - is it ok that I'm using the shape tool thingies from photoshop in 2 of my entries? or should I draw all the shapes myself?
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Ezmerelda_M at Feb 11, 2010 8:07:07 PM]
[Feb 11, 2010 8:05:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

I'm gonna assume it's ok for now then lol - I'll just take those ones out if they aren't ok =D
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Ezmerelda_M at Feb 14, 2010 2:54:10 AM]
[Feb 13, 2010 3:22:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

You're fine to use basic shape tools, but avoid anything with complex or composite shapes, or with pre-filled color or texture.
(And obviously, clip-art shapes shouldn't be used)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Apollo at Feb 14, 2010 5:40:18 PM]
[Feb 14, 2010 5:37:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
addison

Seam list Reply to this Post

Attention all entrants! In order for your entry to qualify, it needs to not have a seam! I've created a master list of all entries that need to be done to re-qualify! I'll be PMing all the entrants that need to redo some of their entries. Thanks!

~Addihockey
[Feb 15, 2010 4:37:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Addihockey [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 144   Pages: 5   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates