• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 61
Posts: 61   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 14395 times and has 60 replies Next Thread
Guppyzr

Titan's First Codex- [Fight Circle II: Solution Revealed] Reply to this Post

Titan's First Codex- a Fight Circle II event!

Earlier this month, Titan presented me with his first codex. This codex may be found below. I do not know what this codex is, what it means or how to solve it. As soon as I found this codex, I recruited a team of "professionals" to solve it but they're no fun to talk to...

This event is dedicated to Zod of Sage on behalf on Isza of Sage.
Like fight, give fight, love fight, live fight- join Fight Circle!

I want you to solve the codex. Once you believe you have found the solution, please send a Private Message to the forum account "Deimy" as soon as possible that includes the following details:
* a relevant subject line, for example, "Titan's First Codex".
* your pirate name and ocean.
* your solution to the codex.
* an explanation of how you reached your solution.
Your solution MUST be submitted to "Deimy" by 11:59:59PM game time on the 26th February 2010. Any solutions submitted after this time will be discarded.

DO NOT POST YOUR SOLUTION HERE. DO NOT SPECULATE ABOUT THE SOLUTION HERE.

The prize for this event is a custom-made avatar by one of the following four artists: Isza, Lowko, Tilinka and Merethif. By the 1st March 2010, all the pirates who submitted a correct solution and explanation will be entered into a prize draw. Four names will be drawn at random. One of the above artists will be randomly assigned to each name drawn. Each entrants selected will then receive a custom-made avatar by the corresponding artist.

Give fight- join Fight Circle!
Guppyzra, Founder and Coordinator of Fight Circle.

Acknowledgements
Thanks to the four avatar artists who have offered their support in this event:
* Isza who would like an event dedicated to her Valentine- Zod of Sage.
* Lowko456. Visit his Avatar Shoppe or Banner Shoope to fully appreciate his skill.
* Tilinka whose Valentine for this year is, "Lovecraftian elements of Vargas the Mad and the Cursed Isles," in the wise words of Tilinka.
* Merethif, one of the ocean's best artists. I'll get a March event dedicated to you!
----------------------------------------
Guppyzra of the Imaginary Ocean.
Founder and Coordinator of Fight Circle

In the Name Of... ~carpe noctem
[Edit 5 times, last edit by Guppyzr at Mar 27, 2010 5:03:26 AM]
[Feb 3, 2010 9:09:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
thranduil01

Re: Titan's First Codex- [Fight Circle II: Deadline 26th February 2010] Reply to this Post

Cool stuff , fun puzzling hopefully :p

Free wazzy

[Feb 3, 2010 9:43:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
KuroShi

Re: Titan's First Codex- [Fight Circle II: Deadline 26th February 2010] Reply to this Post

By the 29th February 2010

I'd like to point out that there's no such date this year. >> It's not a leap year, and the 29th only comes around in leap years.
I can only be nice to one person a day.
Today's not your day.
Tomorrow doesn't look good either.

Junan on Cerulean
[Feb 3, 2010 7:51:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bumblebeebox

I'd like to point out that there's no such date this year. >> It's not a leap year, and the 29th only comes around in leap years.

Woohoo! We have forever!
Berthier of Sage.
Glaucus wrote: 
Tell your non-existent children they need to eat more ice cream to better equalize their internal and external body temperatures.

Huy tells ye, "You came too late."
[Feb 3, 2010 10:06:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Guppyzr

Ohhhh...

Dates never were my strong point as my past record shows ;)

Anyway, as I meant the draw will take place three days after the deadline, I shall edited the above to 1st March 2010.

[Feb 4, 2010 8:28:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Granilithe

/e looks at the picture.....blinks...scratches head....decides I'm to stupid and goes back to drawing crappy trinkets for the spring contest.
Granilithe of Emerald
SO of Rabbid Zombie Bunnehs
Princess of Trophy Tarts

[Feb 4, 2010 10:04:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://dreampirate21.livejournal.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
oasis111

I don't quite get it.. Is it related to Puzzle Pirates or just random?
Antheanian forever, no matter what tries to stop me!

Apollo tells ye, "Where would be the fun giving a warning? That would spoil MY fun!"
[Feb 5, 2010 8:59:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Guppyzr

I don't quite get it.. Is it related to Puzzle Pirates or just random?
I don't know that myself. That is for you to determine.

/e looks at the picture.....blinks...scratches head....decides I'm to stupid and goes back to drawing crappy trinkets for the spring contest.
If you can't solve the above, it doesn't mean your stupid. It's a professionally designed code so I'm not expecting anyone to find the solution at a glance. It takes time and thought ;)

[Feb 5, 2010 9:04:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
oasis111

whoa.. codex's are like the hardest of hard riddles...

Edit : Perhaps.. I should learn how to try and solve a codex before attempting to solve one... xD

Apollo tells ye, "Where would be the fun giving a warning? That would spoil MY fun!"
[Edit 1 times, last edit by oasis111 at Feb 5, 2010 9:13:52 AM]
[Feb 5, 2010 9:10:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jackarius23

do we get more than 1 guess as to what this is?
Kork, Meridian
Jackarius, Cerulean

Cleaver is going to strangle all of you.

[Feb 5, 2010 2:48:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tonillo

Great! :P
Sounds good, my dad likes this stuff, ill ask him lol
Yes, I love Riggs... From Jade
Antonio and Quos
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Tonillo at Feb 5, 2010 7:10:05 PM]
[Feb 5, 2010 7:09:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AsterLepax

This IS tough. And quite mysterious.

There's so much I want to discuss!!
Lepax of Viridian
[Feb 5, 2010 8:27:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Guppyzr

do we get more than 1 guess as to what this is?
I'd like to think that any one who submits an entry knows the answer rather than is just guessing. This isn't the kind of puzzle that can be solved by guess-work.

Nevertheless, in the event that I receive multiple PMs from one entrant, I will consider the most recent PM their entry and ignore any others. For that reason, please send PMs only to "Deimy" and post any questions here or via PM to "Guppyzr".

Thanks ;)

[Feb 6, 2010 4:24:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Guppyzr

The restrictions on speculation have now been relaxed. Speculation is now permitted on this forum thread but please be aware that posting the solution here will probably leave you with a lesser chance of winning a recognition that if you were to keep your solutions private.

[Feb 9, 2010 9:16:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
oasis111

Ok.. I've looked at this thing for hours on end and I've come up with many Idea's which have proven faulty. First of all I thought that one of the symbols may have represented a space.. However it can't be the arrow unless theirs a 13 odd lettered word there... And the same goes for all the letters that it doesn't look like any symbol represents any sort of space.. The symbols are also repeated WAY too much to POSSIBLY all be the same letter every time.. this has me really stumped.

Edit : I can however if you look closely... can you also notice that the gaps are slightly wider between certain symbols then others??

Edit 2 : I am lead to believe that the four horizontal lines must be a vowel of some sort because it appears so much and sometimes next to eachother.. They could also however, make a sound like 2 letters together.. "ch" or "sh" something like that...

Edit 3 : Following on from edit 2 it is very possible that every symbol might be 2 or even 3 normal letters in 1 symbol..

Edit 4 : This isn't exact for all symbols but has anyone else noticed the similarity between these symbols and our numeracy? For Example... The symbol that looks like an upside down 4.. well i just said it.. looks like a 4. And the Symbol that appears 2nd looks like 2 7's one upside down and one not.. linked together. There is of course the one that looks like a 7. The Triangle with a line through it COULD be 3 as a triangle has 3 edges but im not sure.. the upside down 9 is there... The arrow looks like the number 1 but slightly adjusted... The 4 horizontal lines could be acting as a substitute for a figure of eight = 8.. but I'm not sure on that. The Line with a circle in it however i can't match to a number unless its 10.

of course... even after all this I have NO idea how the numbers would make any sense even if it WAS right.. unless they meant how much letters each word was or something and the symbols just represent how many letters in a word.. however, that leaves us quite farout knowing the codex if we only get the number of letters.. It could be ANYTHING!

[Edit 4 times, last edit by oasis111 at Feb 9, 2010 12:41:04 PM]
[Feb 9, 2010 12:23:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jackarius23

I thought it was numbers too, and that it was say the 7th letter of the alphabet for 7 but all I got was gibberish
Kork, Meridian
Jackarius, Cerulean

[Feb 9, 2010 2:41:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AsterLepax

Ok first I'm going to say that I do not plan on revealing all that I've determined. However I believe in playing fair and I will not knowingly try to mislead anyone.
If you think I'm wrong, please point it out; I'm being long-winded for the purpose of exposing every segment of the thought process. Often puzzles stump people because we completely gloss over the normally "simple" parts of our analysis where something unusual is hidden.

Now what do we know without any assumptions? We are looking for a "solution." While it is pretty natural to expect this puzzle solves to a phrase, it is never explicitly stated that it is so. Perhaps the end result is a number or an image of sorts? However, until we are met with evidence to the contrary I think we can agree we should still start with the idea that it is a word, sentence, phrase, etc.

Next, there is a lot of reference to a "codex". As far as I can tell, the only formal definition of a codex is a bound collection of scrolls - ie somewhat of a precursor to the modern book. While we should be aware of this meaning as we solve it, I tend to think it is simply being used as a neologism similar to the "cryptex" of Dan Brown fame - ie just a type of code puzzle.

So to analyze the overall character arrangement. Judging by the spacing and overall consistency of the characters, the natural route would be to interpret them as an alphabet of sorts. I'm not saying that they stand for particular letters (I'll come back to this later), just simply that the information is conveyed by means of the ordering of a finite set of these symbols. There appear to be 9 unique symbols arranged into 4 lines of 15, 17, 15 and 14 characters. ...

NOTE: Post under construction! I will finish this post shortly, but I have some RL matters to attend to and I don't want to lose what I was saying.

Edit: Ummm...I'm going to not go for the long posts anymore I don't see myself having enough time to format them.
Lepax of Viridian
[Edit 1 times, last edit by AsterLepax at Feb 10, 2010 9:30:38 PM]
[Feb 9, 2010 5:09:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
oasis111

There appear to be 9 unique symbols arranged into 4 lines of 15, 17, 15 and 14 characters.

I don't understand what you mean here =|
The rest of what you explain seems to be that were solving something... which isn't a codex but a cryptex? If your saying were going along the path of words then is the number thing out of the discussion for now?

[Feb 10, 2010 6:17:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RoketQueen

In other words, overall there are only 9 different types of symbol arranged into 4 lines.
15, 17, 15 and 14 are the amounts of symbols on each line.
Roketqueen
[Feb 10, 2010 7:39:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Guppyzr

of course... even after all this I have NO idea how the numbers would make any sense even if it WAS right.. unless they meant how much letters each word was or something and the symbols just represent how many letters in a word.. however, that leaves us quite farout knowing the codex if we only get the number of letters.. It could be ANYTHING!
I can reassure you that the codex is designed in such a way that ensures it is solveable. I can't comment (yet) on the methods that you're looking at to solve the codex.

[Feb 10, 2010 8:43:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AsterLepax

There appear to be 9 unique symbols arranged into 4 lines of 15, 17, 15 and 14 characters.

I don't understand what you mean here =|
The rest of what you explain seems to be that were solving something... which isn't a codex but a cryptex? If your saying were going along the path of words then is the number thing out of the discussion for now?

Okay I was being very confusing. I just wanted to first point out that we don't know for sure that it is a word puzzle or that the symbols are the key themselves. However it certainly still looks like one, so I was about to continue with my analysis anyway since we have no other leads.

I'm still waiting for free time to fall in my lap. This last day has been oddly busy. :/
Lepax of Viridian
[Feb 10, 2010 3:17:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AsterLepax

The symbols are also repeated WAY too much to POSSIBLY all be the same letter every time..

I agree pretty strongly here. While it isn't impossible, I would think that 61 instances of 9 symbols couldn't have a direct cipher. Especially considering that two of the symbols only occur once, and both within the last 3 characters. If the answer is in english, using an average of 5.1 letters per word, we expect 11.9 words, 10-ish of would are constructed from only 7 letters. Seems unlikely.

The two singly-occurring symbols actually are quite interesting. The last one is a dot, which I cannot shake the notion of simply standing for a period. This would also give us 60 non-punctuation characters, which has a very lovely totient for any sort of code that requires een divisibility of string length.

The other character is the only character I recognize strongly. It looks almost identical to the greek letter phi, ?. (It is the third from the "end") Some of the other symbols make me think of things, but they aren't exact. For example the "L7" character looks like the musical "natural" symbol, and the aforementioned number-like designs in many of the symbols.

I tried looking at a few substitution ciphers anyway. Especially by trying T-I-T-A-N in all valid positions, since it seems the strongest lead I can come up with. ("ocean", "pirate", and "valentine"? I'll try them shortly.) But nothing solves it outright, and pretty much everything leaves it with a few nonsensical letter orders.

Hmmmmmm. I do have another idea I want to try though... Be back soon. ;)
Lepax of Viridian
[Feb 10, 2010 10:37:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
oasis111

looks like the musical "natural" symbol, and the aforementioned number-like designs in many of the symbols.

Something struck me when you said about music symbols.. as I play the piano and can read sheet music i've been looking through my piano books for symbols such as the ones shown in this codex...

The 4 horizontal lines could of course mean the 4 lines of the music. Also known as the Stave or Staff. No idea what this means so far though.

the L7 as already mentioned does look like the natural symbol which stops sharps or flats being used. THIS could mean that the letter is changed or atleast changed to capital?

The 7.. This is vague.. but on the keyboard you can have the G7 which is when you have the auto-chord on and if you hold G and F then you have the G7.. so the meant note and the note before that.. Maybe the letter and the letter before that in the alphabet?? or ch and sh again..?

The backwards unfilled b... Once again vague.. this would be the Minim... where only half of the full note is played.. However, no idea how this can fit into letters of the alphabet..

The upside down filled 4... The best i could find was the flat sign which looks like an upside down b too... I'm very unsure of this one... A few signs i can't find any right of them atall putting this idea as not good...

The 3rd symbol from the end... There are quite a few possible yet not exact for this exact symbol. First, is the Breve.. This is double the amount of whatever note was before hand... perhaps the doubled number of the letter before it... secondly, The Alle Breve.. This is 2 half beats played within 1 beat but seperate.. No idea what this could be referenced to in the codex.. Tertiary, The Coda.. There is a Coda in every music piece and it is common.. This symbol means you jump back to a certain part of the music earlier in the sheet. Perhaps this could mean a repeat in a part of the text/codex!

The triangle with a line through and the arrow are the only ones I have NO idea about.. There are no relative resemblance's in any music symbol's I can find.

This solution does make sense by simply switching music meanings into the same just word-wise. However the only thing that holds me back is that there are a few symbols I can't work out.. tell me if you work out anything I can't on this matter..

Edit : Forgot to Put the Edit bit... Just needed to add a conclusion.. xD

Edit 2 : I'm also looking into your idea of the different language symbols.. ESPECIALLY greece keeping in mind that alot of Puzzle Pirates is somewhat related to Greece and it's mythology.

[Edit 2 times, last edit by oasis111 at Feb 11, 2010 11:25:33 AM]
[Feb 11, 2010 11:20:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AsterLepax

Okay to look at some different possible themes...

First the music one. Don't want to start by bursting your bubble, but the staff is 5 lines. :/ However I agree a lot of the symbols have musical similarities. The 7, I think, looks a lot like the eighth note rest (oh man...you use european names...um a quaver rest?). There are quite a few indications with horizontal lines, perhaps it could just be a legato? Though I don't know anything with that left part. And the phi could be a coda for sure. Everything is a little off, but it seems that way for just about every idea I've had.

Next I was looking at greek a lot trying to make similarities, after the phi realization. The triangular character resembles lambda or delta. The four lines is similar to Xi, though uppercase seems to normally have 3 lines while lowercase is four-lined but curvy. The "d" could of course be a delta. But beyond that I have troubles.

I also tried to make a numbering because I had the sudden idea that since there were 9 symbols, it could be a telephone keypad coding. The numbers I considered:
(4 bars) - 1 or 4
(L7 or natural) - 4 or 7
(d or minim) - 6 or 9
(line with split) - 2, 3
(filled 4) - 6 or 4
(7) - 7 or 1
(triangular) - 3 or 8
(phi or slashed o) - 0 or 8
(dot) - 0 or 1 or nothing
Several of them I didn't have anything in particular for so I just checked what they inspired me to do. I did not get any really good leads though.

The last thing I considered was the symmetries of each symbol:
(4 bars) - horizontal / vertical flip, 180deg rotation
(L7 or natural) - 180deg rotation
(d or minim) - none
(line with split) - vertical flip
(filled 4) - diagonal flip (or none depending on the line lengths)
(7) - none
(triangular) - horizontal flip
(phi or slashed o) - horizontal / vertical flip, 180deg rotation
(dot) - all flips and rotations
I mainly included these just for anyone's consideration. I haven't actually had time to consider these last observations so hopefully the solution isn't obvious to everyone but me. :P
Lepax of Viridian
[Edit 1 times, last edit by AsterLepax at Feb 12, 2010 2:52:50 AM]
[Feb 12, 2010 2:51:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jackarius23

im starting to think the prize isnt worth all this collaborating :D
Kork, Meridian
Jackarius, Cerulean

[Feb 12, 2010 7:52:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Guppyzr

im starting to think the prize isnt worth all this collaborating :D
But the challenge certainly is. Don't take part in events for the prize- take part for the challenge.

[Feb 12, 2010 8:53:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
oasis111

This Method has FAILED

[Edit 2 times, last edit by oasis111 at Feb 12, 2010 12:16:43 PM]
[Feb 12, 2010 11:04:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AsterLepax

On one hand, we were given nearly a month to solve it. Even if you aren't expecting much participation that is a long time to solve a short puzzle. On the other hand, we have been assured it is solvable and we have been given essentially nothing but the puzzle itself, so it mustn't be too hard.

We're just not thinking in the right direction I'm sure.
Lepax of Viridian
[Feb 12, 2010 11:33:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tdeathblake

Backwards b :
1. ???

That just reminded me of a demotivator that has been circulating the internet.

I think that the music symbols are the key to solving it, I saw a few of those when I was learning piano
Tdeathblake (Thinks he's the main)
Homunculus (Knows he's the main)

Give a man a fish and he''ll eat for a day, give a fish a man and he''ll eat for weeks.

Homemade avatar
[Feb 12, 2010 11:56:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
oasis111

I'm going to look further into the music symbol idea.. it looks like a positive idea

[Feb 12, 2010 12:18:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 61   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates