• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 460
Posts: 460   Pages: 16   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 72103 times and has 459 replies Next Thread
Artemis
OceanMaster

FABULOUS February Familiar Frenzy!! Reply to this Post

Welcome to the First ever Fabulous February Familiar Frenzy! We hope you will have Fun :)

Event Schedule

Details:
- We have at least two events planned each day and will give out at least one familiar at each event (sometimes more!)
- We will be giving out both colored and tan familiars.
- Specifics about some of the events are forthcoming, we will get them up ASAP!
- Opal and Jade schedules will be posted to their respective forums.

Auctions!
- Auctions will for the specific ocean where they are held and will take place at the scheduled times.
- Exact formats will be posted, just plan to show up!

Bake-Offs!
- Bake-offs will be done for Sailing, Carpentry or both!
- Puzzle types and format will be posted as they are decided upon.
- Bake-offs will take no more than two hours, though our goal is to finish up in one.

Puzzle Competitions!
- Competitions will be a mix of single puzzle and multi-puzzle formats.

Random Drawings!
- These will be listed on the tournament board, make sure you show up early so you don't miss out!
- The 6th person listed (ignoring byes) will win!

Tournaments!
[Jan 29, 2010 7:52:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Searmin

Re: FABULOUS February Familiar Frenzy!! Reply to this Post

Very nice!

Will there be any indication in advance of what puzzles will be done in the puzzle competitions, or will we just have to turn up to see?

EDIT: Oh, and thanks for putting "noon" instead of 12pm. That will hopefully deal with at least half of the people who show up at the wrong 12 and throw a fit because they don't understand how am/pm works (admittedly, it is a bit odd to have 12-11am then 12-11pm rather than 1-12).

EDIT AGAIN: I'm sure someone will find fault in the scheduling, but in the meantime, the am/pm matching hours progressing day-by-day up by one hour is a clever way to do this, so kudos for that.
----------------------------------------
Searmin

Conversations from the One Ring sloop:

Searmin says, "Okay, we're gonna sail this ship right into Mount Doom"
Dracina says," One does not simply sail into Mordor"

[Edit 2 times, last edit by Searmin at Jan 29, 2010 8:08:28 AM]
[Jan 29, 2010 8:01:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Artemis
OceanMaster

We should be able to get details on competitions out, although I'm not sure exactly when those might be posted by... I actually pressed "post" by accident, so there may be a few more details missing than usual!

Hopefully it's also clear that 12am is in the morning not the evening as it's posted before noon...

And thanks, I thought this way of doing the times would at least make it easier to remember what times things were happening on the days even if it might be a little heavier on events that happen in the wee morning hours.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Artemis at Jan 29, 2010 8:18:02 AM]
[Jan 29, 2010 8:15:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Searmin

Heh, it's fun to see when OMs do such things too.

The formatting still looks pretty anyway. And most of the information is present, so it's all good. Besides, more notice for a 4am puzzle competition on Monday is better, so I at least can fearfully fathom the notion of setting my alarm for 3:30am a few days in advance (at least, if I like the competition, now that I know it will be announced in advance it will be much nicer...wasn't exactly excited at waking up before 7am 8 times in the next month with the risk of seeing an alchemistry comp or something).

EDIT: Oh, and now that I look at the tournaments (not as much interest in those for me), those are also spread really nicely, with all of the same type being at 6-hour intervals.
Searmin

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Searmin at Jan 29, 2010 8:25:56 AM]
[Jan 29, 2010 8:20:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Grodanknorr

This sounds great fun!And hopefully I will get my first fammilar :-)
Arrr!

EDIT: Sorry but I think I didnt understood the random drawings?
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Grodanknorr at Jan 29, 2010 9:21:01 AM]
[Jan 29, 2010 9:19:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Killrburrito

This sounds great fun!And hopefully I will get my first fammilar :-)
Arrr!

EDIT: Sorry but I think I didnt understood the random drawings?

yes I do not think I understand the random drawings either how will u enter these and how exactly do you win them? though sounds like some awesome stuff hope to be winning my first fammy too
Partially retired and completely stupid.
[Jan 29, 2010 9:31:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
puzzler612

Save yerself some time and effort and hand em to ones that normally win em!!
[Jan 29, 2010 9:36:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Searmin

The random drawings are usually tournaments of some sort. The prize will probably be something small. You enter, and then when the tournament bracket pops up, you start at the top of the bracket and count down. The sixth player from the top (not including byes in the bracket) wins.
Searmin

[Jan 29, 2010 9:41:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lord_oll

I checked the event Schedule and it doesn't say which ocean the tournaments will be on. Also, are you deliberately not doing events on crimson?
Crimson Sloop Races!

Okaw on Hunter and Crimson
Darkollie on Cobalt
Okaw or Darkollie on the other oceans when I occasionally visit.
[Jan 29, 2010 10:16:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Satan666Hell

<3
Look of Sage.

Drinking <3
[Jan 29, 2010 10:27:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Killrburrito

I wish ppl would be a little more understanding of us less skilled players its rather insulting and a big blow on peoples confidence when you put comments in like that!
Partially retired and completely stupid.
[Jan 29, 2010 10:34:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Artemis
OceanMaster

Tournaments and Competitions will be happening on all oceans during those times!

Crimson is not included in this, no.
[Jan 29, 2010 11:01:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Decima_

Lovely event!

How come there is no bilge bake-offs though?
It's De¢ima.

[Jan 29, 2010 11:34:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Heibii

Yaaaaay!
Hei on Emerald

Yusss I dnav!
[Jan 29, 2010 11:52:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stephensam

I look forward to an action-packed month of February! My hat's off to all of the hard-working Ocean Masters that will put on these events!
Stevensam -Cobalt Native, founder and host of The PoE is Right. Creator of Lime Day.
[Jan 29, 2010 1:10:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Stevensam [Link]  Go to top 
Dreilly

Well, I for one am not getting much sleep next month!
Cem/Cemikila
[Jan 29, 2010 3:01:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chui111111

Flood the market much!?
Brucee on Viridian
Semi-Retired and will only pop on for blockades!
[Jan 29, 2010 4:09:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TBPOTN7

Details:
- We have at least two events planned each day and will give out at least one familiar at each event (sometimes more!)

my pp-loving heart died a bit more (didn't know it was possible)
[Jan 29, 2010 4:15:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tom13111

/e claps. I wouldd say this is a great event. But then I wouldd be lying to everyone and myself. I wouldd prefer not to do that so... I must ask why people think this is a good idea. But then I know the answer, they can get a familiar. Familiars are nothing now anyone can get one. I used to look at someone who had a familiar and go wow that was a skilled pirate. They had done enough to earn one. Now days they are junk, a piece of trash if I may say so. People go out and buy them. Partly to poker but I can live with that if you can get money off that. My beef is that they then go around thinking that they actually earned it. sorry to say to the entire ocean that they didn't the increase in the amount of familiars that they put out is ridiculous. The event has random handouts. I'm gonna say congratulations in advance you earned it. Well not really but hey at least you have one right? Here you go ooo thanks for making something that used to mean something into nothing. Grats ooo you turned a dollar into a Zimbabwean dollar
Ingame name- Tange
Viridian Ocean
SO of Mercenaries
[Jan 29, 2010 11:55:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Granilithe

I used to look at someone who had a familiar and go wow that was a skilled pirate. They had done enough to earn one.

I've actually never looked at a pirate and thought wow you earned that because since the beginning they were sold to the highest bidder. All I have ever thought it wow that pirate must have a lot of poe. SO meh release more into the ocean or don't it's just another item people sell for the highest profit.
Granilithe of Emerald
SO of Rabbid Zombie Bunnehs
Princess of Trophy Tarts

[Jan 30, 2010 12:29:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://dreampirate21.livejournal.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
tom13111

sorry for the misunderstanding. to help clarify this i will point out that during your time playing this game i have never felt this way it was when i started out and familiars meant something. even when tans first came out it was a little looking up but now they are as you said sold to the highest bidder.
Ingame name- Tange
Viridian Ocean
SO of Mercenaries
[Jan 30, 2010 12:57:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Giemz

Well I'll never sell my first won fam. But i wona nother and sold it to the highest bidder. The poe gave me the resource to start a crew, host events and provide awards for the winners. I could not ever do without the poe. I don't really see what's wrong in that?

And yay for february. If I fail my exam session because of this I'll definetly blame OOO.
Fair Winds
Barbarosa of Malachite
Mostly retired - burned out at the moment.
[Jan 30, 2010 3:18:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Skilledman2

Thats offensive for players who dont play 24/7 and its awesome to win a monkey or something especially for me (and other players) so dont be sayin those kind of things mate
Skilledman
[Jan 30, 2010 6:23:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Darkme1

Lovely event!

How come there is no bilge bake-offs though?

This.

Bilge has been the least used in familiar competitions over the past months (colored fam competitions I mean), there have been only 2. And now no bilge bake-offs too? :(
Wahoot of Hunter
Senior Officer of Communists

How about a little workout?
[Jan 30, 2010 6:24:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
satin11

Tom13111 wrote: 
/e claps. I wouldd say this is a great event. But then I wouldd be lying to everyone and myself. I wouldd prefer not to do that so... I must ask why people think this is a good idea. But then I know the answer, they can get a familiar. Familiars are nothing now anyone can get one. I used to look at someone who had a familiar and go wow that was a skilled pirate. They had done enough to earn one. Now days they are junk, a piece of trash if I may say so. People go out and buy them. Partly to poker but I can live with that if you can get money off that. My beef is that they then go around thinking that they actually earned it. sorry to say to the entire ocean that they didn't the increase in the amount of familiars that they put out is ridiculous. The event has random handouts. I'm gonna say congratulations in advance you earned it. Well not really but hey at least you have one right? Here you go ooo thanks for making something that used to mean something into nothing. Grats ooo you turned a dollar into a Zimbabwean dollar

Oh, for goodness' sake. Seriously? Familiars are worthless? I suppose that's why, on every ocean, they sell for over a million poe. If you ask me, that's pretty expensive trash.

You sound to me like a little kid that can't get what he wants and so now it's junk. Either that, or you do have a familiar and other people having them causes you to feel less special. Get over it. And quit complaining that the OM's are making familiars worthless by trying to create fun for everyone.

I knew when I saw the thread title, there would be at least one, and probably more to follow, that would tart about how familiars are being de-valued. I was right. I pity you. In a game that's about having fun ( the horror!), you are more concerned with trying to be elitist than enjoying the game. Or letting others enjoy the game. It's kinda sad.

Anyhow, it sounds like a lot of fun, and I hope that everyone has a blast trying to win their own shoulder pet.

And for anyone that thinks these competitions and tourneys shouldn't be done- well, then don't participate. But don't try to ruin the fun of others who might be excited at the possibility of winning their first familiar.

Oh. Right. Forgot where I was for a moment. So how about this:

For all of those who are excited about possibly winning their first familiar, don't let the whiners stop you from having fun. I'll be participating in as many events as I can, and I'll have fun doing it even if I still don't have a familiar when March rolls around.
~Satin~
Cobalt/Sage
Nem wrote: 
I think this is the first thread I've seen that claims there aren't enough 'donkeys' in the game. Maybe you're hanging out with the wrong pirates.

[Jan 30, 2010 7:50:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.geocities.com/satin1111111/ [Link]  Go to top 
Captitain

YAYYYYY! I've been bakeoff deprived for so long. It's good to actually have some instead of 38972193821321 competitions! ^____^
Amyxlala
[Jan 30, 2010 10:25:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tom13111

Satin to answer your question I could care less about the value of the familiars I don't buy or sell them. Contending that I don't get what i want, I won a drinking familiar yesterday along with another 6 familiars I already own. Most my post was intended to point at the random hand out of familiar. My feelings toward the event are mostly at the hand outs, by your contention I agree if they earn it I will fully applaud that player. As it is most people don't "earn" their familiars if you buy it i really don't think you have "earned" it and with that said this random handout of familiars of course I have a problem with. I have nothing against people who go out and earn familiars on their own skills. my point was by randomly handing them out whats that do to pirates who worked for theirs? spent time on the puzzle and learned it and became skilled enough to play with the best of the ocean and win one? Really by devaluing familiars I wasn't talking about poe, but more of the feeling of actually earning one and the respect or admiration that used to be in this game.
Ingame name- Tange
Viridian Ocean
SO of Mercenaries
[Jan 30, 2010 10:54:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stephensam

Satin to answer your question I could care less about the value of the familiars I don't buy or sell them. Contending that I don't get what i want, I won a drinking familiar yesterday along with another 6 familiars I already own. Most my post was intended to point at the random hand out of familiar. My feelings toward the event are mostly at the hand outs, by your contention I agree if they earn it I will fully applaud that player. As it is most people don't "earn" their familiars if you buy it i really don't think you have "earned" it and with that said this random handout of familiars of course I have a problem with. I have nothing against people who go out and earn familiars on their own skills. my point was by randomly handing them out whats that do to pirates who worked for theirs? spent time on the puzzle and learned it and became skilled enough to play with the best of the ocean and win one? Really by devaluing familiars I wasn't talking about poe, but more of the feeling of actually earning one and the respect or admiration that used to be in this game.

I heartily disagree that pirates who buy familiars aren't earning them. If someone works really hard, pillaging, crafting, puzzling, etc. for years to save up and buy a familiar, that's quite an accomplishment. Those pirates who can win multiple (and are willing to sell them) both get the great feeling of beating everyone to win, and then get to pass on that great feeling to the pirate who worked hard for his/her poe and really wants a familiar. There was a proposed action a long time ago that would've made it to where familiars couldn't be traded. This would've esentially seen to it that pirates who aren't top in a puzzle/familiar skill would not get a familiar ever. Though, after the announcement was made, the whole pirate community, familiar winners and regular joes, declared that they didn't want that change. If it were proposed again, I believe the same response would still be true. That shows you how much other people value getting familiars and giving/selling familiars. Honestly, I don't care if a pirate looks at me and has to wonder if I won the familiars I have, or if I bought them, because in a way I bought all of them. Some with poe, others with the time and hard work put into learning puzzles and staying on the top of my game. Just because you don't spend poe, doesn't mean you didn't "buy" the familiar. I don't see how one way of buying a familiar is accepted, but another is not.

And just to re-state my opinion:
Thank you very much to all the OMs making this month's events take place! I'm sure it's going to be great fun :D
Stevensam -Cobalt Native, founder and host of The PoE is Right. Creator of Lime Day.
[Jan 30, 2010 11:08:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Stevensam [Link]  Go to top 
tom13111

i would agree with your statement except for the small fact and introduction of poker, without poker yes i would say that if you pillaged, ran a successful shoppe, etc. then it would value as earning it but with poker i wouldn't say that. so many pirates play that game and i wouldn't even say its a puzzle and fits into this game.
Ingame name- Tange
Viridian Ocean
SO of Mercenaries
[Jan 30, 2010 11:50:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Artemis
OceanMaster

i would agree with your statement except for the small fact and introduction of poker, without poker yes i would say that if you pillaged, ran a successful shoppe, etc. then it would value as earning it but with poker i wouldn't say that. so many pirates play that game and i wouldn't even say its a puzzle and fits into this game.

That sounds like a topic that would probably be best discussed elsewhere... Lets try and focus our discussion on the events here.
[Jan 30, 2010 12:29:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 460   Pages: 16   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates