• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 107
Posts: 107   Pages: 4   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 20805 times and has 106 replies Next Thread
Jippeh14

Re: Create Seasonal Spring Trinkets for the game! (WINNERS ANNOUNCED) Reply to this Post

Just as a random note for Pletoo lol, if u want to make a straight line in gimp, just hold down shift as you are drawing, will create straight lines and/or perfect square/round shapes in the selector thing (woo to my lingo XD)

@ Shakkara: look your entry was awesome :) but sometimes other peoples entries may have more of what the game needs, you need to think outside the box and recognise that other peoples entries may just have worked better. However at the end of the day, this is just a game - to have a little fun and to participate in some arty stuff - who cares if you win or not? have a little fun and be a good sport - allow the winners some glory, after all if you won you would wish to be respected too.

Anyway enough Jippy rambles lol, once again grats to the winners :)
----------------------------------------
Jippy of Meridian
[Feb 24, 2010 4:48:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

Re: Create Seasonal Spring Trinkets for the game! (WINNERS ANNOUNCED) Reply to this Post

Switch from RGB color (or CMYK) to Index color, then clean up the stray pixels (erase). If you have more changes, switch back to RGB.

O cool! Thanx - I will try it! =D

And I miss that Gimp shift line tool thingy when I'm using Photoshop... I always accidentally press shift and think "O... that doesn't work here" lol!
~~~ Adrielle, Ezzleart and Enfyz ~~~
... (& @AmazinAdrielle on Twitter) ...
[Feb 24, 2010 5:37:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
ddraigeneth

I always accidentally press shift and think "O... that doesn't work here" lol!

That's the main reason I'm hesitant to switch to Photoshop (even though my fiance has a copy), I'm so comfortable with Paint.NET (another free program, with easy-to-find buttons to let you make straight lines and circles :P). I can keep one hand on the mouse while the other hand hits hotkeys to change tools, zoom, and so-on.
I suppose it would be good for me to get over it and learn, though. Feathering and Smudge keep looking more useful as my art advances.

Wasbeer: Do you have a scanner? I can't draw for barnacle using a mouse, so I sketch out everything by hand, then scan it in to colour.

Shakkara: I've had plenty of near-wins, myself. At the time, I usually rant and rave in my head (unless the winners were truly outstanding enough for me to not feel bad), then give it some time. Later, when you let yourself relax and look back, it tends to be easier to see where you could have improved.
I agree that the lotus would have been a nice addition to the game, but there are several others that I personally thought, "Oh, I'd buy one of those!" which didn't make it in. While the clover that was selected is very nice and well-done, I'd have loved to see the Cloverfly, simply because it was so cute and original. A couple others that were selected, I thought, "Very nice, but that doesn't seem to fit the game art as well as these others."

It really comes down to the fact that you can't satisfy everyone. As a judge, you make the best compromises you can to be sure the outcome is as fair as possible.

For bigger, more open events, I think it really comes down to details. Yes, sometimes a photoshopped screenshot will take the prize, but this should just encourage you to work harder on elements of your art.
I spent many hours on this portrait background for Halloween, drawing out the individual cobblestones in pencil, filling them with slightly varying shades of grey, shading them...indefinite tweaking of colors and textures for the buildings and grass...
Needless to say, I was disappointed when a relatively simple background using default Photoshop tools was chosen, and mine was not. So, now I'm taking it, clearing out the spooky bits, and waiting for a fitting contest to come along so I can improve it and hopefully get it into the game.

Your costume looks great, but the skull pumpkin clearly took a lot of work on its own (I've tried to carve fancy pumpkins...it's not as easy as it looks). So, what could you do better next time? Maybe use felt for the sheathes? The cardboard stands out a bit, and detracts from the overall impression.

It's when you can just step back, breathe, and think, "Okay, I'm really proud of what I did. Now, how can I make it even more awesome?" that you'll start to excel.
Gwiddon d'Sage - Making her own avatars since 2005
DeviantART

Is yer sword a foil?
[Feb 25, 2010 12:32:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shakkara

As the planner who brought you MissFortune, I feel compelled to say this: MissFortune received 68 entries. Your own entry placed joint 2nd. Sure, it didn't place 1st, but it didn't place 16th, or 29th, or 35th or 68th and I'm sure we can all agree that finishing 2nd out of 68 is an incredible achievement in itself. You finished in the top 4.5% of all entrants. That shows incredible talent. Yes, you didn't win a prize, but you won a title and you won the respect of fellow entrants in the event community. What's more important? Pride or prizes?

There's this spark in some people that I call the "events spirit"- it's a concept that was shaped in me by those around me. It's the whole idea of "It's not the winning, it's the taking part." A concept that feature in many of the world's major competitions- including the Olympics. The prize means nothing at all if the entrant didn't enjoy taking part. Adrielle is a perfect example of this "events spirit". Ad is a reasonable artist (sorry Ad), and a modest writer (don't take it personally) but she's great person with a spectacular personality. Take a look at her wiki page- in all her time in the community, she's hardly won any events but she's participated (and event placed highly) in quite a few of them. Ad records all these achievements in her wiki page and at the end, you see a great long list of incredibly inspirational achievements that she has had. Finishing 2nd is an achievement, winning an honourable mention is an achievement, hell... even taking part is an achievement.

I like to think I have the "events spirit" too but it's still growing in me- not quite there yet. I took part in Easter Eggs this year even though I've got no hope at winning so there must at least be a small events spirit in there somewhere...

Anyway, my point is this. You need to decide what events are about. Are they about pride or are they about prizes? If your answer is prizes then the chances are that events aren't for you. If you hang around in the events community much longer, only further disappointment lies ahead. If you choose pride, be happy and let your events spirit develop. Compile a list of all your achievements (finishing 2nd out of 68 could be your first one) and smile :)

Guppy ><>

I simply don't participate in any event if there is no meaningful reward for it. Thats why I participated in some guildwars events and not in others, because the prize wasn't anything I wanted to have or I didn't estimate my odds of winning high enough.

It's a simple cost and reward formula, my time is money and if I can get more of it through playing the game instead of making contest entries, I'll just play the game. Making contest entries is no more fun than grinding money in games is, its a means to an end, and the only fun part is enjoying whatever it is that is earned.

However, prizes don't have to be anything valuable to motivate me. I AM probably one of the biggest achievement-whores on the planet, as people always throw that accusation at me in various games. But just saying I got an achievement this or that is meaningless. There must be something to show to it, something for bragging-rights, that shows it off to other people, even if they never even heard of it before.

In EVE online, for everything I do or win or whatever, I demand medals (since they get the corp logo of the person that gave it and that is not fraudable). I much rather have these unique items that are fraud-proof than anything of monetary value in the game of which there are many in existence, at least as long as it is clearly visible to other players. Just saying to others "I finished game X on hard!" is meaningless, as it is fraudable and not displayed to others automatically, but getting an achievement for it on Xbox live or whatever is meaningful.

Third, its the impact I can have on the game, which was the reason for entering this contest. Having content you helped create appear in game is awesome and a reward in itself.

With the olympics, there are medals and certificates for the participants. Even in the ancient days, when they still handed out just worthless olive brances to the victors, the winner would have his expenses paid for the rest of the year by other villagers, due to the prestige he won.
[Feb 25, 2010 3:30:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Knorps

Wasbeer: Do you have a scanner? I can't draw for barnacle using a mouse, so I sketch out everything by hand, then scan it in to colour.

I just got one for my birthday (21st). :) Do you also make a sketch for trinket designs? Because maybe I should give it a try then..

I'd have loved to see the Cloverfly, simply because it was so cute and original.

Thank you, those comments make me feel a winner as well. :)

So, now I'm taking it, clearing out the spooky bits, and waiting for a fitting contest to come along so I can improve it and hopefully get it into the game.

A few points where you could improve your entry:
-You could make it more clear that the moon and the lanterns are the only lightsources.
-Where the pavements turns right, it seems to get lifted on one side.
-The street contains a few big rocks. That seems a little strange, because it looks like they create big bumps in the road.
-The street has big rocks in the front and little ones in the back. Maybe the transition between them could be more slightly.
-The street is a big part of the portrait. Maybe you could make it a little less grey by adding some grasses.
-The entrance of the house on the right side is a little low compared to the barrels, maybe you could make it a little higher.

Ok, those are a lot of things. You just should take a look at them and see for yourself where you do agree with me. Don't think it's because I don't like it, because I really do. You really did a nice job on the colours and stuff and even without changing things I think you have an entry that really will be considered as a winner.
Pirate: Wasbeer
Ocean: Viridian Meridian
[Feb 25, 2010 3:47:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

Shakkara - contests aren't really a "cost and reward formula", as your entry has to be chosen as the winner for you to get a prize regardless of the cost/effort/talent/creativity you put in. As for having an "impact" on the game, have you ever thought of the impact you can have on the game's community? Acting like this just because you didn't win has a negative impact.

Contests, like the Olympics you mentioned, are contests. Not everyone who tries hard and puts in heaps of effort, creativity, and talent wins (although, if you make artwork (or produce a performance) that you're proud of, you're always a winner in my books!). Sometimes the judges like other entries more than yours. Please stop complaining.

-----------------

P.S

I'd have loved to see the Cloverfly, simply because it was so cute and original.

The Cloverfly was one of my favourites too!!!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Ezmerelda_M at Feb 25, 2010 4:21:27 AM]
[Feb 25, 2010 4:18:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Knorps

Maybe I'll re-enter my cloverfly someday. :)
Pirate: Wasbeer
Ocean: Viridian Meridian
[Feb 25, 2010 4:56:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

With the olympics, there are medals and certificates for the participants. Even in the ancient days, when they still handed out just worthless olive brances to the victors, the winner would have his expenses paid for the rest of the year by other villagers, due to the prestige he won.

What would stop someone from a conveniently distant village from making a wreath out of a random olive tree and just saying he won to scam free baklava all year? They didn't have live, instantly accessible leaderboards back then. If you want to keep count of the contests you've entered, make yourself a pirate page and put up links to your contest entries.

If it's any consolation, I'm sure the devs don't want me to re-enter my spring entry at all.
A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[Feb 25, 2010 6:10:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

I loved ur springs, Rhodin! They made me giggle! =D
[Feb 25, 2010 5:23:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Gyps13

Wow, I wasn't expecting such a fast judging, so pardon the late congrats. lol

Congrats to the winners! Can't wait to see the end results in the game. :)
~ Jaede ~ Malachite
Dragon Eggs
Pokemon Eggs

*Current Avi by Scheherazade*
[Feb 25, 2010 8:45:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Springs made me giggle too - puns FTW!
[Feb 26, 2010 2:44:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Pixie_Jamila

Congrats to all the winners. So many great entries. I don`t usually win either but that doesn`t bother me. I just try again next time. :) Someday I might right? *giggles* I have so much fun working on entries even with limited time. :D
Elvina of Midnight
Senior Officer of Phoenix Warriors
Lady of Tyr's Own

[Feb 26, 2010 11:15:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

/e wonders when spring trinkets will be released....

Must buy shamrocks!!
Dexla d'Midnight
[Mar 11, 2010 4:29:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Not long, my pretties!
(I'll be delivering two to each winner once they're available).
[Mar 12, 2010 10:06:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
merethif

Not long, my pretties!
(I'll be delivering two to each winner once they're available).

Trinkets well received - thanks a lot Apollo!
Merethif of Viridian Ocean
Novice/Able at Poker and proud of it!
Vacation avatar by Empanado
[Mar 13, 2010 7:33:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cassopia

thank you apollo <3

and yes, im now a poor pirate ;)
Whitenose on Sage || (Cassopia on Opal)
----------
Sage - Time:6:30 am || German-Time: 3:30 pm
Whitenose loves doll's
[Mar 13, 2010 7:40:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

SQUEALS!
Thank you Apollo!
Dexla d'Midnight
[Mar 13, 2010 8:34:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 107   Pages: 4   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates