• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 57
Posts: 57   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 8974 times and has 56 replies Next Thread
Abandonment

Rematches, rematches, rematches. Reply to this Post

This is a semi-rant but who knows, it may achieve something, heh.

My issue is with sword fighting mainly, as it's the only puzzle I play. There's nothing I hate more than players that will either make a table, or join yours; they then proceed to win the game, and will either flat out refuse a rematch when asked, or will boot if you join their table. I've been playing a few years, and I'd have to say it's been getting a lot worse recently, with the majority of sword fighters that wager adopting this practice.

Basically, I'd like to gauge people's opinions on rematching. Whether it occurs across other puzzles too and any funny chatlogs that accompany rematch refusals.
----------------------------------------
Priapus/Guantanamo
[Jan 13, 2010 10:30:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kotetsu534

Re: Rematches, rematches, rematches. Reply to this Post

I've refused you a rematch before in a wagered rumble, IIRC. There's no obligation on anyone to fight more than the one match they agreed to when they sat. Simple as that.
Nomura, SO of Innocent, Member of Crimson Tide, Midnight.
[Jan 13, 2010 11:22:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
nunny_45

I just hate playing the same person twice, it either becomes a hatefest or they have my play style down pat and i have no hope.

Though i would accept a rematch if unwagered.
Nunny
[Jan 13, 2010 11:22:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Forumrizzo

Abandonment wrote: 
Basically, I'd like to gauge people's opinions on rematching. Whether it occurs across other puzzles too and any funny chatlogs that accompany rematch refusals.

I've only been refused a rematch by someone who has lost to me; though I'm certainly not of the swordfighting caliber you are Guantanamo.I've always allowed rematches unless the person is someone flaunting a greater-than-thou "Zomg I'll pwn u this time lucker" attitude. My only other thought would be they feel like they're proving something to themselves by beating a #1 Swordfighter and feel they "don't need to prove themself again."

That arguement holds little weight to me and does not seem to be the case here.

Rizzo,
my two PoEs worth
Tomrizzo
Serendipity, Rebel Rousers
Emerald
[Jan 13, 2010 11:25:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
nunny_45

Forumrizzo wrote

unless the person is someone flaunting a greater-than-thou "Zomg I'll pwn u this time lucker" attitude

Also that.
Nunny
[Edit 4 times, last edit by nunny_45 at Jan 13, 2010 11:33:45 PM]
[Jan 13, 2010 11:32:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bronzebeard

I get this sometimes if I'm swordfightin' on an ocean with a foil or somethin' and only just lose to a good player. Then they'll boot me because they don't want to take their chances of losin' to a poor sword. Doesn't happen so much if I'm wagerin' with that foil though, fer some reason!

Of course the system itself encourages this behaviour since the first fight counts a lot more towards rankings than the following ones. I've had people tell me exactly that - that they're playin' fer ranking - when they boot me. There wasn't as much bootin' by mates who knew they could beat ye way back when every fight counted.

On the other hand, when I beat people and they demand a rematch then I'm tempted to boot them just to get them wound up. HARR!
Peglegpaul
Now on Obsidian!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by bronzebeard at Jan 14, 2010 12:29:31 AM]
[Jan 14, 2010 12:28:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Abandonment

I wouldn't have so much of a problem being booted if I won the first fight convincingly. It just seems to me if I lose a wagered game, 50k+ the player that won will then not play again, or they'll drop the wager to 3-4k. I'm not the best of sports at times, but I've not yet refused a rematch for a significant wager to anybody.

Two to three years ago sword fighting used to be a lot more fun than it is now. A lot of that was because of every fight being rated, there was also a lot more sportsmanship; maybe because of more mature players, I don't know. I know there is no obligation to rematch, but for a wagered game, hit and run is a cheap tactic.

I think the thing that really rubs salt in the wound, is that the same players who regularly refuse to rematch after winning will send a barrage of hate your way should you adopt the same principles they do by refusing them a rematch.
Priapus/Guantanamo
[Jan 14, 2010 2:08:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

I typically refuse rematches because I like to play a variety of people. I don't generally join wagered games (or not for more than 1000 poe or so), but if I've beaten someone in a tough game I'm not going to give them their money back by taking a rematch.

I know there is no obligation to rematch

Exactly. As long as the person is polite in refusing your rematch I don't see the problem.
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[Jan 14, 2010 6:45:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jutecloth

Best of three/five/seven/thirteen option on parlor game tables

You could have an check box for allowing switching weapons between fights. For ratings, it would make sense if it depended on the outcome of the set rather than the first game.
Bakunin wrote: 
When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called "the People's Stick".
Darksand wrote: 
[S]chadenfreude is a positive externality for some of us.

[Jan 14, 2010 7:06:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nooblar

I don't like SFing for a wager of over 5k (absurd, really, all things considered, but i view it as too much money to gamble with). So when someone starts wanting to do multiple matches with wagers i'll sometimes not want to, especially if the wages are over 5k, or my PoE on hand is a multiple of 25k.

There is also this tendency for people to start a match, try to make some huge strike, get a minor disruption attack sent to them, lose, tart at me, an then demand a rematch. Frankly I don't want to be play against that sort of person as a loss means i deal with gloating and a win means i deal with a whinging 14 year old, so there is no favorable outcome for me.

Now, if someone wants to do a few more matches within a price range similar to the first match, and they aren't the sort to moan when they get stuck, i'd be happy to have a few more matches.
Nooblar and/or Nerdbeard on Sage/Emerald
Cartrunner wrote: 

<3
Dear forum alt: since you inquired, no, I do not endorse ban evasion.

Tilinkatar!
[Jan 14, 2010 8:45:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Culiford

If I beat someone, I'll gladly rematch them (sf here, I'm not that good at anything else). It's up to them to ask me for the rematch, but I won't refuse unless I have to go do something else (flag stuff, hearties calling, real life, etc.) With the same wager, if it was a wagered game. Especially if it's someone who calls me a nub for using a disruption attack, because that means I'll just keep taking their poe =D
Culliford on the Cerulean Ocean
Prince of Universe A
[Jan 14, 2010 9:54:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
elbeejay

I've noticed this behavior a lot lately especially on the SF tables. When I learned to play rumble I would play the same person several times within an hour and the chances of being booted were very low. I think the popularity of the SF puzzle has made people feel like they can just boot someone and easily get another game with a different opponent that will have a new style to play against. There are less people playing rumble, making the environment much better on the whole. From my experiences I have found that there is a greater tendency to run into a kind rumble player who will give you tips or at least a rematch than an SF player. I'm not saying all SF players are jerks, but there has been a growing trend in all parlour games to just say, "gg" and dismiss.
-Elbee on Hunter, Sage, Viridian, and Malachite
[Jan 14, 2010 2:31:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hfsktr

I don't mind rematching but if I know I'm having a bad day I don't want to go against somebody that just beat me and will do so again.
Guaranteed if I win and don't rematch right away and get insults I will boot that person for as long as I remember the name. Sometimes I am not focused on rematching as I am looking to fight as many different people as I can to get the most experience and rank difference. That depends on the time though as to how many people are around to fight.
If I was mentally deficient I would have missed.
[Jan 14, 2010 3:59:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stephensam

For myself, I quite often decline rematches. Everytime someone "asks" me for a rematch after I beat them and I decline, they call me chicken, a greenie, etc. and I just find it sad that some pirates think that namecalling will get them what they want. Oftentimes I am not confident in my abilities enough to win a second game and if I were able to, I wouldn't want to take advantage of a pirate on tilt. Also, lots of times I get the "rematch?" then they put up a table for twice the wager of the game that I won. That's not what I would call a rematch.
Stevensam -Cobalt Native, founder and host of The PoE is Right. Creator of Lime Day.
[Jan 14, 2010 7:53:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Stevensam [Link]  Go to top 
ppplushies

I usually always accept rematches, and I too have noticed the same problem that you have just stated, Guan. In my opinion, any SF 5k or over is intended to be played in sets. Meaning that, you will do re-matches until one person cleans the other one out, or until one person has to leave. When I ask someone for a re-match, and they refuse to give me one, I just keep a mental note not to SF that person ever again.
Kadazzle
[Jan 14, 2010 8:22:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Roleni

As long as the person is polite in refusing your rematch I don't see the problem.

Thalatta & others

Hera tells ye, "You got me so flustered by the spanking, I booched my chat response!"
Hera tells ye, "Purple is the most awesome colour ever!"
[Jan 14, 2010 9:23:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Abandonment

As long as the person is polite in refusing your rematch I don't see the problem.

They very often aren't, and are also the same people that will start ranting when you refuse to rematch them after they lose the first wager. I've started to boot players after the first game when I know they don't rematch, with a tell to explain why they were booted. Maybe the message will get through eventually.
Priapus/Guantanamo
[Jan 14, 2010 10:00:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
basso

I usually always accept rematches, and I too have noticed the same problem that you have just stated, Guan. In my opinion, any SF 5k or over is intended to be played in sets. Meaning that, you will do re-matches until one person cleans the other one out, or until one person has to leave. When I ask someone for a re-match, and they refuse to give me one, I just keep a mental note not to SF that person ever again.

Although understandable, do you see all the assumptions that you make here? For instance, I've never been a high wager SF guy (for obvious reasons, I fail). If I started to do that today without reading this post, how would I know that it is "intended to be played in sets"? Nothing about the interface on SF tables suggests that.

So what you have is some opinions that have become custom for high end SFers. Expecting everyone to adhere to your customs is just asking for trouble.
Montage of Sage
Mads wrote: 
OK, now I'm convinced. The problem here is that you cannot understand plain English.

[Jan 15, 2010 5:00:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
StuManchu

Why is this even a debate or a thread? Outside of prior agreements or game mechanics:

You can ask someone for a rematch whenever you want.

You can refuse a rematch whenever you want.

Nobody is a dick for doing either of these things.
Was once Stuyvesant

Redistribute your wealth, or we'll redistribute your blood.
[Jan 15, 2010 7:47:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rhandom

Why is this even a debate or a thread? Outside of prior agreements or game mechanics:

You can ask someone for a rematch whenever you want.

You can refuse a rematch whenever you want.

Nobody is a dick for doing either of these things.

There is truth here.

Whether one is a jerk or not about rematches (asking for or refusing) is purely in the technique.
Hahvahd on Cerulean, Rhandy everywhere.

Once the pin is removed, Mr. Grenade is no longer your friend.
[Jan 15, 2010 9:56:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ppplushies

Although understandable, do you see all the assumptions that you make here? For instance, I've never been a high wager SF guy (for obvious reasons, I fail). If I started to do that today without reading this post, how would I know that it is "intended to be played in sets"? Nothing about the interface on SF tables suggests that.

So what you have is some opinions that have become custom for high end SFers. Expecting everyone to adhere to your customs is just asking for trouble.

I made sure I noted it was only my opinion, as I now others don't follow it. Added to that, I don't expect people to follow it, but if they refuse to re-match me it just means I'll never play them again.
Kadazzle
[Jan 15, 2010 12:38:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mads0001

As soon as somebody demands a rematch I'll boot them. If I get a polite tell or even nothing and they just sit I'll usually go a game or two. I enjoy playing a variety of people, and I have no patience for playing the same person until they manage to win a game.

You sit, you have the right to play once. No more unless both parties feel like it.
rachaelj wrote: 

"your standing in patronising has gone up and is now respected in your archipelago"
spelling corrected by Mads(tm) :P
[Jan 15, 2010 12:48:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
StuManchu

ITT: Gettin' Mad About Stuff
Was once Stuyvesant

Redistribute your wealth, or we'll redistribute your blood.
[Jan 15, 2010 12:52:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Roleni

They very often aren't, and are also the same people that will start ranting when you refuse to rematch them after they lose the first wager. I've started to boot players after the first game when I know they don't rematch, with a tell to explain why they were booted. Maybe the message will get through eventually.

Not everyone is like this, though. :P
Thalatta & others

Hera tells ye, "You got me so flustered by the spanking, I booched my chat response!"
Hera tells ye, "Purple is the most awesome colour ever!"
[Jan 15, 2010 10:55:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tom13111

guan brings up a good point. some players with refuse to play a rematch i have myself in sf, never in wagered tho. if im doing ranking i like to play someone once then move on. but as he pointed out is the sportsmanship in the game has gone down by a lot. ik that i almost dread playing peoples names i dont know now in drinking for fear that its going to be another hot shot thats gonna yell at me for another hour as many in the past have. i used to just play them in a rematch w/e ignore it. but now im not even nice about it any more. if they want to go after me i just tell them i have been ult longer than they have played and that they need to respect others, followed by a mute. and many of the people i used to look up to and know as respectable players have started it to i played 3 or 4 matches against a player today won all of them and after each one it was luck and by the 4th match i got swear words coming at me. in the end it comes down to the older players looking at them asking themselves what happened to this game. and then wish that it was like the old days. even many of the old players have stopped using gg at the end of a match. i never thought about it like yes gg i thought about it as its the end of the match i may not have liked what happened but still you played well and was a sign of respect at most. drinking my beloved game i thought would keep away many of these players that started to creep into sfing when they yelled lucker and all that. but alas the times have fallen to spades and hearts are the only ones its not happening in.
sorry for long post just my opinion over the years. and spelling and non caps, im just lazy
Ingame name- Tange
Viridian Ocean
SO of Mercenaries
[Jan 16, 2010 6:45:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ppplushies

Holy wall of text.
Kadazzle
[Jan 17, 2010 9:44:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
warp11

Holy wall of text.

My eyes are bleeding from reading 1/3rd of it.
Your English teacher has issues, whoever dropped that bomb on us.
Dahl "I have higher moral standards" gren
[Jan 17, 2010 12:47:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tom13111

As noted in the last line, I apologized for the horrific spelling and grammar, as well as the long text. I am just to lazy to proof read my text. I can actually write quite well, I am just to lazy to oblige.
Ingame name- Tange
Viridian Ocean
SO of Mercenaries
[Jan 17, 2010 12:54:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rhandom

As noted in the last line, I apologized for the horrific spelling and grammar, as well as the long text. I am just to lazy to proof read my text. I can actually write quite well, I am just to lazy to oblige.

That's OK, I'm too lazy to read it.
Hahvahd on Cerulean, Rhandy everywhere.

Once the pin is removed, Mr. Grenade is no longer your friend.
[Jan 17, 2010 2:31:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
basso

Don't write well for yourself, write well for those of us who read it. I do enjoy that laziness has now been extended to the fractions of a second it takes to hit shift or enter.
Montage of Sage
Mads wrote: 
OK, now I'm convinced. The problem here is that you cannot understand plain English.

[Jan 17, 2010 3:28:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 57   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates