• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 76
Posts: 76   Pages: 3   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 11734 times and has 75 replies Next Thread
randompanzy

Re: Ice Release December 4 Reply to this Post

Dear OOO: Please wipe the Ice Ocean and start from scratch.

Yes. Regularly.

At least once a month, if not more often.

why does everyone want ice wiped am i the only one that doesnt see the reason for it?
----------------------------------------
Randompanzy from Viridian now sailing on Obsidian
SO of Lion's Roar
Titled Member of Placeholder
The views on my post are of my own and not my flag.

Tranquilized says, u kno yer notorious for lagging? xD

[Dec 8, 2009 8:30:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.teamepsilon.net    phillip1904    GB Fayt    I'm a little kitty that goes MOO! :D [Link]  Go to top 
Yoccm

Freshness?
(since ice is so small, you don't get a lot of action, so to keep things moving, new, and different, a whipe helps?)

I don't know, just my guess
Every once in a blue moon, the moon turns blue.
[Dec 8, 2009 8:33:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Inschato

They just think it will "fix" things. I don't really thinking treating a symptom would do much. A dev is likely to come in here and yell at you guys if you keep discussing it here since it's off-topic.
-Undisputed Overlord of the Emerald Ocean
[Dec 8, 2009 10:26:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

Ice is supposed to be a testing ocean, not one you actually play on long-term and accumulate Stuff. The problem is that people have become attached to their Stuff there. These people would complain if Stuff was handed out by the OMs in order to test new features that (if recent releases are any indication) desperately need more testing before they go live.

The solution, therefore, is to firmly (re)establish that Ice exists for the purpose of testing additions to the game, not for actual play. Possessions there should be meaningless, valueless and ephemeral so that no one complains if the Ringers magick up a thousand balls, or a dozen familiars, or whatever it takes to test the latest set of features (and then wipe it all a week later).

Part of what's keeping testers away now(*) is that you have to be invested in Ice before you can begin to test. I say, level the field. Everyone gets to play in the sandbox with the new toys without having to have spent six months making Navy wages first. Go ahead and sink all the free ships you want, it's not like you're going to get to keep them.

"But that will ruin the economy!" News flash: Ice does not have an actual economy and never will; the scales are wrong. Economic testing is something to be done on the live oceans (or better yet, by the Ringers sitting down and thinking for a moment what dumping hundreds of balls and rum into the market from Outpost payouts is going to do to those industries before they go ahead and do it). You can no more get useful economic data from Ice than you can by extrapolating from a lemonade stand to General Motors, so let's not pretend to try.

(*) the bigger part, of course, is that so many players today are doublooners, and the Ringers have yet to come up with a really satisfactory way to let them play on Ice. One idea that I think deserves further consideration: don't leave it up all the time, only when there's something that needs testing. Ice access becomes equivalent to free puzzle days, not something you can have for free all the time.
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[Edit 2 times, last edit by cmdrzoom at Dec 9, 2009 1:02:47 AM]
[Dec 9, 2009 12:53:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tkp42

Cmdrzoom, I love you.

Unfortunately, the OMs/Devs don't really want to magick up things for testing. Remember how hard it was to get ships for Atlantis testing? There's a double-standard when it comes to Ice that just annoys the heck out of me.
Tonya+nator
Claiming poker ruined the game since 2006
[Dec 9, 2009 7:18:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://ice.puzzlepirates.com/yoweb/pirate.wm?target=Tonyanator [Link]  Go to top 
treepirate88

Not sure where to exactly post this so I figured this is as good of a place as any:

After the recoloring familiar option was released on production oceans, I decided to play around with it.

I currently do not have enough poe to recolor so the button to recolor it was initially darkened. After changing the preview color a couple of times the button decided to light up. I bug reported it on malachite if that helps =/
Expendable - Malachite
Lock it up.
Apollo says, "Expendable, I will now spank you with extreme prejudice"
[Dec 9, 2009 8:42:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ShoyuLite

Tree, Try here in Game Design: http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=145094

;)
Soulchild on Malachite + Viridian = Meridian

Seriously, unicorns and dragons? How's a pirate monkey going to compete with the Wizarding World of Puzzle Pirates Mages?
[Dec 9, 2009 10:04:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

I currently do not have enough poe to recolor so the button to recolor it was initially darkened. After changing the preview color a couple of times the button decided to light up. I bug reported it on malachite if that helps =/

It lit up but did it allow you to recolor it?
Cerulean & Meridian - Icemeister
Emerald & Obsidian - incognito!
#TeamPurple
[Dec 10, 2009 2:40:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Captainpk

A whipe of ice would be dumb, since when there would be a need of money , like in the familiar release, there wouldnt be any.

Im TOTALLY AGAINST a whipe !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What about having a little fun ?

dutchyman on the hunter ocean
fattawa on the ice ocean & midnight ocean

[quote]Yere greeter chats, ":O I forgot the PIE! hehehe"[/quote]
collector of all shiners
[quote]Luctor et emergo
[Dec 10, 2009 8:23:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
IantheKorean

A whipe of ice would be dumb, since when there would be a need of money , like in the familiar release, there wouldnt be any.

Im TOTALLY AGAINST a whipe !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well the thing is, since it's a testing ocean, the whole idea behind regular wipes is that you provide the testers with the means to test whatever new content it is as opposed to having testers act as players and run Ice like an actual ocean of it's own. It's kinda counter-intuitive and on top of it essentially being subscription only, is probably why you see so few players going to Ice to help out.

You either need to spend a large amount of time grinding with the navy to get 15k to get a sloop, at which point it apparently becomes fairly easy to make poe through pillaging, CI, and similiar activities or get very lucky and manage to be online when a tournament or competition pops up which apparently pay quite well (although I've never managed to be online at the right time apparently). It's not a very good model for testing, given how much the focus on the subscription model has waned over the years in favor of the doubloon model. Not that I think it should be an ocean players should be sinking money in the direct form of delivery fees and badges, if it were opened to doublooners. I think that would only exacerbate the issues of players seeing it as a "real" ocean as opposed to a test one.

Definitely seems like the best course would be just keeping it offline and starting fresh when there is new content that needs testing and just open it to everyone. If the new content is something sea based, offer a variety of ships from the palace for one poe or something similiarly easy to obtain. Do some ocean-wide broadcasts, maybe every 6 or 12 hours, for two or three days letting the general populace know there is new content up on Ice that needs testing. Hell, maybe tie new trophies to new content, and have players be able to click an ahoy tab popup to accept it on their main. It isn't like Ice isn't already tied to our unique accounts. That also sidesteps the issue of cross ocean currency, as a solution to time spent on Ice.

I mean I know I'm not suggesting anything new here or even anything that hasn't been said only a few posts up in this thread but it makes a lot more sense and would hopefully help content get rolled out more smoothly.
[Dec 10, 2009 11:37:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RedSeaWitch

Ceph writes in the announcement thread:

Re: Release 2009-12-08
People visiting furnishers or the palace shoppe may have noticed a few more seasonal arrivals this morning: the Festive Candelabra, Holiday Top, and Chocolate Coins.

Enjoy!

Festive Candelabras are in Furnishing Shoppes... with 9 candles ;)

no Holiday Top or Chocolate Coins in Palace Shoppe, though.

*nom nom* ve vant shoclit
Windwench
Hags of the Wicked Winds, Cerulean
Collecting Hake & Hagfish
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HS on Viri:
Captain shouts, for heaven's sake, don't leave th :P
Jobber says, you don't hear that yelled too often
[Dec 11, 2009 3:41:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    kundry.rm    kundryyyy    3761215 [Link]  Go to top 
randompanzy

Ceph writes in the announcement thread:

Re: Release 2009-12-08
People visiting furnishers or the palace shoppe may have noticed a few more seasonal arrivals this morning: the Festive Candelabra, Holiday Top, and Chocolate Coins.

Enjoy!

Festive Candelabras are in Furnishing Shoppes... with 9 candles ;)

no Holiday Top or Chocolate Coins in Palace Shoppe, though.

*nom nom* ve vant shoclit

cause the ice isnt cool enough for those trinkets? :(
SO of Lion's Roar

[Dec 11, 2009 5:17:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.teamepsilon.net    phillip1904    GB Fayt    I'm a little kitty that goes MOO! :D [Link]  Go to top 
RedSeaWitch

Silly, why would he post it in the Ice update thread?

I'm sure that's just an oversight and he'll flip a switch, if he hasn't already
Windwench
Hags of the Wicked Winds, Cerulean
Collecting Hake & Hagfish
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HS on Viri:
Captain shouts, for heaven's sake, don't leave th :P
Jobber says, you don't hear that yelled too often
[Dec 11, 2009 5:43:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    kundry.rm    kundryyyy    3761215 [Link]  Go to top 
randompanzy

Silly, why would he post it in the Ice update thread?

I'm sure that's just an oversight and he'll flip a switch, if he hasn't already

i didnt notice him posting it in this thread though?

not only that ice rarely gets seasonal trinkets =/. though i noticed we did this year just missing these 2
SO of Lion's Roar

[Dec 11, 2009 8:13:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.teamepsilon.net    phillip1904    GB Fayt    I'm a little kitty that goes MOO! :D [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

Well, somebody added the frost sloops to Ice...though the only place making them is selling them for 30k...I think I'll pass.
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Dec 13, 2009 12:42:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Spyagent20

I couldn't find anywhere making them when i checked a few days ago....
Spyagent of Viridian
Retired
Resting in IC
[Dec 13, 2009 7:37:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 76   Pages: 3   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates